Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Number of people at each Forum Rank as of 12 Mar 2009

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:04 am

Big Mac wrote:And then I made the mistake of saying something about my favourite type of giant in this post, which eventually came back to haunt me! :o
That's awesome. I knew you were a big Spelljammer fan, so I thought you'd intentionally asked for this as your custom rank. :)
Big Mac wrote:Firstly, you go to the "Members" link on the top right of the forum. Then you need to resort the Members page by clicking on "Posts". That gives you the posts going from zero upwards, so click on "Posts" a second time to see the Memberlist in order of largest to smallest post count. Then you can just scroll down "the leaderboard" and look at the next page, when you have finished with the first one.
Ah, I hadn't delved into the "Members" link before. That's handy. Thank you for the pointer!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:And then I made the mistake of saying something about my favourite type of giant in this post, which eventually came back to haunt me! :o
That's awesome. I knew you were a big Spelljammer fan, so I thought you'd intentionally asked for this as your custom rank. :)
Giant Space Hamsters are actually one of my least favourite Spelljammer monsters.
Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Firstly, you go to the "Members" link on the top right of the forum. Then you need to resort the Members page by clicking on "Posts". That gives you the posts going from zero upwards, so click on "Posts" a second time to see the Memberlist in order of largest to smallest post count. Then you can just scroll down "the leaderboard" and look at the next page, when you have finished with the first one.
Ah, I hadn't delved into the "Members" link before. That's handy. Thank you for the pointer!
The tricky thing is that I've discovered all of the rank ranges by spotting that someone with a certain number of posts is on one rank and then also spotting that someone (or someone else) with one more posts is on the next rank up.

It's really easy to spot that with the lower ranks, as there are so many people clustered around the threasholds and posting enough to move from one rank to the next. But as you go higher, the Piazza members get more spread out and you have to keep tracking specific members who have the ranks you are interested in, to slowly narrow down the range until you can finally spot the theshold. And if you miss someone crossing the threshold, you might only be able to narrow that theshold down to say 10 or 15 posts from the actual amont and have to wait for the next person.

But, I've had an idea that might help anyone who wants to be as anal about things as I've been:
  • Go find a forum member who is on a high rank that I've not yet nailed down on my second post,
  • Go look at that person's profile, search through all of their posts and find one of their relatively early post (it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it was posted a long time ago),
  • Now throw the URL of the topic that post is in into the Wayback Machine and you can see archived versions of that topic, back when that forum member had less posts.
Do that, and you can look back in time to try to get closer to spotting when that specific person got onto the forum rank they are on now. ;)

Good luck! :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:24 am

Big Mac wrote:Giant Space Hamsters are actually one of my least favourite Spelljammer monsters.
So you've been saddled with an ironic custom rank? That's funny and sad at the same time. :)
Big Mac wrote:But, I've had an idea that might help anyone who wants to be as anal about things as I've been:
  • Go find a forum member who is on a high rank that I've not yet nailed down on my second post,
  • Go look at that person's profile, search through all of their posts and find one of their relatively early post (it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it was posted a long time ago),
  • Now throw the URL of the topic that post is in into the Wayback Machine and you can see archived versions of that topic, back when that forum member had less posts.
Do that, and you can look back in time to try to get closer to spotting when that specific person got onto the forum rank they are on now. ;)
That would require a bit more time than I can invest right now. I'm curious, but not that level of curious. :D

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 am

Gecko wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:Gecko is a Pokémon master?

Or is that... Piazzámon master?
:P :lol:
:?: huh? :?:

I'm afraid I don't know the reference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Forum Ranks (as they emerge) *spoilers*

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:40 pm
The Piazza Forum Ranks

Peasant...............0
Kobold:...............1-4
Goblin:...............5-19
Orc:...............20-44
Hobgoblin:...............45-79
Gnoll:...............80-124
Bugbear:...............125-199
Ogre:...............200-299
Troll:...............300-449
Hill Giant:...............450-599
Stone Giant...............600-799
Frost Giant...............800-999
Fire Giant...............1000-1249
Cloud Giant...............1250-1499
Storm Giant...............1500-1999
White Dragon...............2000-?*
Black Dragon...............(2727-2756)-?*
Green Dragon...............(3538-4314)-?*

?...............4588-?*
Well, I suppose now we should add:
Blue Dragon: observed at 5185
Red Dragon: observed at 7519

Unfortunately, I haven't kept track of when I passed to Blue and Red...

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Forum Ranks (as they emerge) *spoilers*

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 pm

agathokles wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:25 pm
Big Mac wrote:
The Piazza Forum Ranks

Peasant...............0
Green Dragon...............(3538-4314)-?*

?...............4588-?*
Well, I suppose now we should add:
Blue Dragon: observed at 5185
Red Dragon: observed at 7519

Unfortunately, I haven't kept track of when I passed to Blue and Red...

GP
What you might want to do is find super-old topics by the Red Dragon (you) and the Blue Dragon (Sturm) and then copy the URL of those topics into the Wayback Machine, to see if they have archived copies of those topics from years ago.

That might help you narrow down the transition points (and confirm there are no other dragon types in between).

Looking at the "first page of the Leaderboard" today, I see:
  • White Dragons on 2032, 2210 and 2616 posts,
  • Black Dragons on 3377 and 3399 posts,
  • Green Dragons on 4273 and 4316 posts
  • One Blue Dragon on 5184 posts
  • One Red Dragon on 7519 posts.
The current positions of the White Dragons doesn't help narrow down the transition to Black Dragon.

The current positions of the Black Dragons doesn't help narrow down the transition to Green Dragon.

The positions of the Green Dragons gives you a transition to Blue Dragon that is somewhere between 4317-5185 posts.

The position of the Blue Dragon gives you a transition to Red Dragon that is somewhere between 5185-7519 posts.

But if you look at old topics from all the people of Black Dragon rank and above, you can possibly discover things.

The custom forum ranks do get in the way a bit, but if you know what year someone "won" a custom forum rank, you can look for a topic they posted before that year and see if you can find any more information from the Wayback Machine.
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm quite sure there aren't other ranks in between.
GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:34 pm

agathokles wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:19 pm
I'm quite sure there aren't other ranks in between.
I think you are probably right, GP...

...probably.

I found a topic on the Wayback Machine Northern Davainia/Southern Sea of Dread map help?...where you were still a Green Dragon! ;)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:37 pm

This topic and this one can be useful:

At 3571 posts I was still a Black Dragon, but at 3789 I was a Green Dragon.
At 5528 and 6031 posts I was still a Blue Dragon.
At 6586 is was already a Red Dragon.

Hugin was a Green Dragon at 3753.

Also, here Hugin is a Black Dragon at 3604.

That clarifies at least that there are no other ranks between Green, Blue and Red Dragon.
The passage to Green Dragon must take place at 3750 posts.
I suspect the passage to Blue Dragon takes place around 5000 posts, and that to Red Dragon at 6500 posts.

Which probably means I'm only mid-way (at best) towards my next rank... we'll see in a year or two :-D

GP

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 am

No gold dragons? ;(
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 am
No gold dragons? ;(
Not yet... I suppose it's the next higher rank, but all the members with a higher post count than me have custom titles, so we can't be sure :-)

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 pm

agathokles wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:37 pm

That clarifies at least that there are no other ranks between Green, Blue and Red Dragon.
I suspect the passage to Blue Dragon takes place around 5000 posts, and that to Red Dragon at 6500 posts.

Which probably means I'm only mid-way (at best) towards my next rank... we'll see in a year or two :-D
I looked through the archived copies of the two topics you posted at the top, and narrowed down things a bit, but I couldn't come to the same conclusions that you did. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Also, the link to the topic where you say that Hugin was a Black Dragon is a current topic. When I feed that into the Wayback Machine, I can't get him with 3604 posts. (Again maybe I'm missing something.)

Anyhoo, I updated the second post with the stuff I could narrow down a bit.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:09 am
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 am
No gold dragons? ;(
Not yet... I suppose it's the next higher rank, but all the members with a higher post count than me have custom titles, so we can't be sure :-)

:x

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 pm
agathokles wrote:

I looked through the archived copies of the two topics you posted at the top, and narrowed down things a bit, but I couldn't come to the same conclusions that you did. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Also, the link to the topic where you say that Hugin was a Black Dragon is a current topic. When I feed that into the Wayback Machine, I can't get him with 3604 posts. (Again maybe I'm missing something.)

There are multiple snapshots of each thread at the wayback machine... You need to check all of them.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:41 am

agathokles wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am
Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 pm
agathokles wrote:

There are multiple snapshots of each thread at the wayback machine... You need to check all of them.

GP
I did. I searched for "Black Dragon" and "Green Dragon" and other things on each page. I couldn't find the stuff you said you found.

I'm not sure where you got 3750 from, for example. I nailed down the previous transitions based on seeing two people one post apart. (So seeing one Black Dragon on 3749 and a second Green Dragon on 3750 would have nailed down that transition to me.)

And the Hugin link took me to the current forum, rather than the Wayback Machine. :?

But I narrowed it down based on what I did find. :)

If you went to other pages in the multiple page topics, you might need to point me at the specific URLs.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:49 am

https://web.archive.org/web/20160331224 ... 60c8a747fa

I've no idea on why the search did not work for you. There are two posts by Hugin in the first page.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:49 am
https://web.archive.org/web/20160331224 ... 60c8a747fa

I've no idea on why the search did not work for you. There are two posts by Hugin in the first page.
Thanks.

There is a Session ID ("&sid") in the URL. Maybe that is why I couldn't find it. :?

I've pushed up the bottom threshold of the Green Dragon transition to 3605. :)

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 am

agathokles wrote:

GP
Current forum status as of today July 18, 2019 for posting ranks is (without counting custom ranks):

Agathokles : 7542 : Red Dragon
Sturm : 5207 : Blue Dragon
Azaghal : 4316 : Green Dragon
Cthulhudrew : 4283 : Green Dragon
Ripvanwormer : 3413 : Black Dragon
willpell : 3377 : Black Dragon
Rabindranath72 : 2617 : White Dragon (highest White)
Blacky the Blackball : 2034 : White Dragon (lowest White)
Robin : Storm Giant : 1903 : Storm Giant (highest)

Puts 2000 post counts for White Dragon as very likely - Robin is likely to be next to reach this limit.

Azaghal is 1 post lower than lowest cross-over value to Blue Dragon given by Big Mac on page 1

Tom

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 am
Current forum status as of today July 18, 2019 for posting ranks is (without counting custom ranks):

Agathokles : 7542 : Red Dragon
Sturm : 5207 : Blue Dragon
Azaghal : 4316 : Green Dragon
Cthulhudrew : 4283 : Green Dragon
Ripvanwormer : 3413 : Black Dragon
willpell : 3377 : Black Dragon
Rabindranath72 : 2617 : White Dragon (highest White)
Blacky the Blackball : 2034 : White Dragon (lowest White)
Robin : Storm Giant : 1903 : Storm Giant (highest)

Puts 2000 post counts for White Dragon as very likely - Robin is likely to be next to reach this limit.
I've already nailed down the starting point of White Dragons at 2,000 posts, in the past. That's why it is a bold number (and not an italic one).

Here is a quote from my second post, which I'll explain:
Big Mac wrote:
The Piazza Forum Ranks

Peasant...............0
These are all ranks I nailed down a long time ago.

It was easier with the lower forum ranks. I just had to look at the "leaderboard" (which is going to the Memberlist page on the forum and clicking to sort the Memberlist by post count.

If you look several pages back in the leaderboard (where more forum users are clustered together) it's a lot easier to reproduce my above research. For example, today on Page 13 of the leaderboard you can see
  • 1 Hobgoblin on 46 posts (with another on page 12)
  • 2 Hobgoblins on 45 posts
  • 1 Orc on 44 posts
  • 1 Orc on 43 posts
  • 4 Orcs on 42 posts
  • 2 Orcs on 41 posts
  • 2 Orcs on 40 posts
So you can see that the highest post count for an Orc is 44 and the lowest post count for a Hobgoblin is 45 posts. (That means they could both be nailed down...if I had not already nailed them down earlier.)
Big Mac wrote:
Green Dragon...............(3605-3789)-?*
Blue Dragon...............(4317-5185)-?*
Red Dragon...............(6032-6586)-?*

Key:

Bold entries are details that have been locked down.

Italic entries are things that I am still unsure of.

* = I haven't yet worked out the exact rank needed to qualify yet. There is a gap between the highest person of the lower rank and this rank. You will see two numbers in brackets. This is the range where the actual limit lies. I won't list the upper limit until I've got the next rank up locked down.

Watch this post for semi-regular updates.

LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 4 Jul 2019): Blue Dragon and Red Dragon added to list, with transition ranges inferred by current posts and Wayback Machine copies of posts.
Unfortunately (from a rank spotting point of view) the posters with higher post counts tend to have gaps between them. Sometimes pretty big gaps.

And that's where I got to this bit, where I couldn't do what I was doing above and actually had to keep following specific people hoping to see them from one rank to the next.

For these ranks, the ranges are where I have narrowed down the changeover point, but not totally.

So I have nailed down a White Dragon on 2726 (at some point) and I have nailed down a Black Dragon at 2756 (at some point), but had not noticed anyone between these two numbers.

Shrondinger's Cat is supposedly both dead and alive at the same time. Well if Shrodinger's Cat was a member of The Piazza (instead of sitting in a box with poison) it could have a post count of 2740 posts and be both a White Dragon and a Black Dragon at the same time! :lol:

Only by looking at Shrodinger's Cat's post can we check what the forum actually says about Shrodinger's Cat. ;)
Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 am
Azaghal is 1 post lower than lowest cross-over value to Blue Dragon given by Big Mac on page 1
Yep. Azaghal is going to start eating into that range and we are going to either know, with every post, that that's still a Red Dragon number...or that it is a Blue Dragon number. But the range there is quite big, so we might just be shaving down that range. Azaghal posts 1.27 posts per day, so it could take a while. And although Azaghal logged in on the 13th of Jun, he last posted in 2017.

That's where the idea of looking at the Wayback Machine, to try to find some of those folks with high post counts...in the past...came from. If you can't find them in the italic ranges now...maybe you can find one of them in an italic range in the past. :D

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 am

The 2000*? designation is slightly confusing then. According to the legend, its only tentative, so I understood it as being nailed down, but transition not directly observed.

As for the wayback machine. Occational snapshots like mine above serves the same purpose, but also highlights trends.

Anyway. I enjoyed your detective work, so I justwanted to chip in.

Regards, Tom

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 am
The 2000*? designation is slightly confusing then. According to the legend, its only tentative, so I understood it as being nailed down, but transition not directly observed.
Sorry about the confusion Tom.

The bold was supposed to let you know that I had nailed down 2000 as the starting point of that rank.

I think the confusion might be caused by my not adding a hyphen, like I did for the earlier ranges.

I'll go edit my top post.
Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 am
As for the wayback machine. Occational snapshots like mine above serves the same purpose, but also highlights trends.

Anyway. I enjoyed your detective work, so I justwanted to chip in.
Thanks. I used to get a big kick out of doing this.

When I got invited to be a moderator...and eventually an administrator...it meant that I could peek behind the curtain. I did have a serious think about missing the fun of guessing the ranks, before I took the admin post.

Now I have my "fun" by tracking the various sizes of different forums and subforums (as well as campaign settings and rules that have not yet "won" their own bespoke forums) and I make guesses on what might get bigger fastest. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm

OK.

Let's look at the Wayback Machine another way.

I tried searching for some of Agathokles old posts again.

I got an archived copy of the 4E Planescape topic where he had exactly 3789 posts. (That's the top of the 3605-3789 range for where the Green Dragon stats.) So we don't learn anything new from that...but lets check the date of the capture. It was Jan 29th 2014.

So what we actually need* to find, is a Wayback Machine archive of any topic that Agathokles posted in that was captured prior to Jan 29th 2014.

* = Well we don't actually "need" to do this. :P

Soooo. If we look at what is currently on page 103 we see down the bottom, what he was doing after an before Jan 29th in 2014.

In theory, if we can grab topics he posted in on the 28th, 27th, 26th, we can see if those topics were captured by the Wayback Machine...and more importantly, captured slightly before Jan 29th.

Hmm. I've gone through a page and I'm getting captures for the 29th of January, every single time. So it looks like something...or someone caused the Wayback Machine to crawl The Piazza on that date.

And I've hopped back in time, two pages at a time, and checked out the top couple of topics. I'm getting the 29th or the 30th for everything I checked.

So I don't think we are going to be able to look at captures of Agathokles to see the Black Dragon-to-Green Dragon transition.

But he did also cross from White Dragon-to-Black Dragon (earlier than January 2014) and Green Dragon-to-Blue Dragon and Blue Dragon-to-Red Dragon later than January 2014.

And that's just one person. There are other high-posters who have made various transitions.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm

4317 isn't the rank for Blue Dragon. It is somewhere as yet to be determined above that.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 pm
4317 isn't the rank for Blue Dragon. It is somewhere as yet to be determined above that.
The italic 4317 in this line is actually "4317-5185":
Big Mac wrote:"Blue Dragon...............(4317-5185)-?*"
The "4317-5185" means that the transition to Blue Dragon has been found to be somewhere between 4317 posts and 5185 posts.

What that means is that if there is anyone with a post count between 4317 and 5185, we can check their rank to narrow down the range. Eventually it gets narrowed down to a single post count and that is the number that turns bold.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”