Page 1 of 1

3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 am
by Angel Tarragon
What are the primary differences between the two? What are some minor changes that would be missed if not going through it with a fine tooth comb? Does one have any system advantages over the other? Is it possible to add stuff from 40K without too much of an issue?

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 am
by Havard
Warhammer 4th edition has not come out yet (?), but the announcement suggested it would be based on 1st and 2nd edition rather than 3rd edition Warhammer.

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am
by Havard
Angel Tarragon wrote:I s it possible to add stuff from 40K without too much of an issue?
what edition of 40k are you thinking about using to add from?

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 am
by Angel Tarragon
Havard wrote:what edition of 40k are you thinking about using to add from?
Whichever is most compatible with 3E or 4E.

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am
by Havard
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:what edition of 40k are you thinking about using to add from?
Whichever is most compatible with 3E or 4E.
Well, let's take a look at the many RPGs set in the Warhammer 40K setting.

Out of all of these, I think that the upcoming Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory has the greatest chance of being fully compatible with Warhammer 4th Edition, since they are both being produced by Ulisses North America. However, since neither game has been released yet, this is just speculation.

As to the number of 40K games produced by Fantasy Flight Games, these were more similar to 1st ed and 2nd Ed than they were to 3rd Edition Warhammer. Since 4th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is said to be closer to the early editions than to 3rd edition, it is possible that material from these 40K games could also work with the upcoming edition.

-Havard

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am
by Angel Tarragon
Thanks, Havard! That's good to know!

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 am
by Havard
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 am
What are the primary differences between the two? What are some minor changes that would be missed if not going through it with a fine tooth comb?
Having finally gotten to play 4th Ed, I would say this edition marks a clear return to the rules found in 1st and 2nd Edition.

I own 3E, but never played it. However, it seems to be a very different system, much closer to Fantasy Flight's other RPGs such as Star Wars and the Genesys RPG with special dice etc.

4th Ed only uses d% and a roll below mechanic that should be familiar to fans from the older editions. Unlike 1st and 2nd edition, d6's are no longer used and the attack roll is also used to determine damage as well as hit locations.

New to 4th Ed is opposed WS checks for attack and defense. You also have to figure out how much below your check you got to determine success levels. I believe you are only supposed to count 10s which would reduce the maths a bit. Characteristics (Ability scores) are now all in the 1-100 range as opposed to some being in the 1-10 range in 1st ed.

Character Generation is apparently more streamlined, but I got a premade character so I don't know much about that yet.

I don't own 4th Ed myself yet, so during our test session I had to rely mainly on having the rules explained to me so take all of this with a grain of salt. My experience with 2nd edition is also limited to one short campaign, while I did play in a few 1st ed campaigns back in the early 1990s.

-Havard

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:44 pm
by Darkanth
Out of all of these, I think that the upcoming Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory has the greatest chance of being fully compatible with Warhammer 4th Edition, since they are both being produced by Ulisses North America. However, since neither game has been released yet, this is just speculation.
Some confusion here methinks. Wrath is Ulisses NA, WFRP 4e is Cubicle7. Wrath is a d6 dice pool, WFRP is percentile. Could you use WFRP 4e to play 40k? Probably yes, with a few tweaks.
The Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic has made its way into 4e, and it seems to be working well, especially in combat. If you have advantage then you get a +10 modifier for each level that you have, a major boost in combat as its an Opposed roll! I'm waiting for my dead tree version to arrive before I dive into it fully, but what i've seen so far in the pdf is encouraging. Especially the Careers.

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am
by Havard
Darkanth wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Out of all of these, I think that the upcoming Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory has the greatest chance of being fully compatible with Warhammer 4th Edition, since they are both being produced by Ulisses North America. However, since neither game has been released yet, this is just speculation.
Some confusion here methinks. Wrath is Ulisses NA, WFRP 4e is Cubicle7. Wrath is a d6 dice pool, WFRP is percentile. Could you use WFRP 4e to play 40k? Probably yes, with a few tweaks.
The Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic has made its way into 4e, and it seems to be working well, especially in combat. If you have advantage then you get a +10 modifier for each level that you have, a major boost in combat as its an Opposed roll! I'm waiting for my dead tree version to arrive before I dive into it fully, but what i've seen so far in the pdf is encouraging. Especially the Careers.
Ahh, thanks for clarfying. I was getting things mixed up there.

Sounds like the now out of print 40K RPGs like Dark Heresy etc could be combined with most of the editions of the WHFRP (except WHFRPG 3E) for the best results for crossover here?

-Havard

Re: 3E v 4E Questions

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 pm
by Darkanth
Havard wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am
Darkanth wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Out of all of these, I think that the upcoming Warhammer 40K Wrath & Glory has the greatest chance of being fully compatible with Warhammer 4th Edition, since they are both being produced by Ulisses North America. However, since neither game has been released yet, this is just speculation.
Some confusion here methinks. Wrath is Ulisses NA, WFRP 4e is Cubicle7. Wrath is a d6 dice pool, WFRP is percentile. Could you use WFRP 4e to play 40k? Probably yes, with a few tweaks.
The Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic has made its way into 4e, and it seems to be working well, especially in combat. If you have advantage then you get a +10 modifier for each level that you have, a major boost in combat as its an Opposed roll! I'm waiting for my dead tree version to arrive before I dive into it fully, but what i've seen so far in the pdf is encouraging. Especially the Careers.
Ahh, thanks for clarfying. I was getting things mixed up there.

Sounds like the now out of print 40K RPGs like Dark Heresy etc could be combined with most of the editions of the WHFRP (except WHFRPG 3E) for the best results for crossover here?

-Havard
Most definitely. I would be very surprised if no one attempts it shortly. I know a few have talked about using Zweihander to do so when that initially came out, and 4e looks a lot easier to grok (at least for me).