[Sigmar] how powerful are gryph-hounds?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Sigmar] how powerful are gryph-hounds?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:32 pm

I just picked up some miniatures for these because I thought they look cool, but I don't know much about these creatures. How powerful are they and how were they created?
Havard
Last edited by Havard on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Sigmar] how powerful are gryph-hounds?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm

I found a page on the Games Workshop website for Gryph-hounds. (It looks like they are £15 UKP for 6, which is pretty good! :cool: )

Anyhoo, there are some tabs on a section of the page and the Downloads tab points to this useful PDF: Warscroll: Gryph-Hounds.

I don't speak Warhammer, but they have +3 to hit and +4 to wound. That sounds like they would scratch opponents to death.

I don't know how that would translate over to Wahammer RPG. It's been decades since I played.

But these things look like they would be a great companion for a ranger, whatever rules someone was using. They look awesome!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm
I found a page on the Games Workshop website for Gryph-hounds. (It looks like they are £15 UKP for 6, which is pretty good! :cool: )

Anyhoo, there are some tabs on a section of the page and the Downloads tab points to this useful PDF: Warscroll: Gryph-Hounds.

I don't speak Warhammer, but they have +3 to hit and +4 to wound. That sounds like they would scratch opponents to death.

I don't know how that would translate over to Wahammer RPG. It's been decades since I played.

But these things look like they would be a great companion for a ranger, whatever rules someone was using. They look awesome!

Thanks! Those links are very useful.

I have some experience playing Warhammer FRP, but never GMed it so still unsure how badass these would be. I think I only played the miniature game once and that was hundreds of editions ago :D

I'm thinking about bringing them into some non-Warhammer games too.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks! Those links are very useful.

I have some experience playing Warhammer FRP, but never GMed it so still unsure how badass these would be. I think I only played the miniature game once and that was hundreds of editions ago :D
Chainmail (the 3e D&D game - not the older one) had some rules about importing D&D monsters to create Chainmail model stats.

Perhaps one of the editions of Warhammer Fantasy has rules to convert to and from Warhammer wargaming rules. ;)

There was also some stuff from Eldritch Ent, where they were assigning something like a percentage (where a GM could turn a 50 percent chance into something like an AC of 10 or something of that ilk, by lining up the scales of different RPG systems with a percentage.

The same sort of technique might work for converting the PDF stats to tabletop RPG stats, if you know the rules for both.
Havard wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm
I'm thinking about bringing them into some non-Warhammer games too.
I vaguely remember someone talking about D&D rules for hacking apart different monsters and putting them back together. I can't remember what edition it was, but I think you used the body as a "base creature" and then added heads, front legs/arms/wings and rear legs to import in things like breath attack, claw or grapple attacks (or wing buffets) and trample or claw attacks.

If someone else can find the topic it was in, you might be able to work out what other D&D monsters could be hacked to build a gryph-hound.

The same sort of principles might work for different rulesets, if you are lucky.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Warhammer”