[Alternity] Living Verge

The Future Has No Limits Gamma World can be discussed in it's own forum. Dark•Matter, StarCraft Adventures, Star*Drive, Tangents, Dark Nebula, Protostar and other Alternity settings can be discussed here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Alternity] Living Verge

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

I was looking for something to do with Living Jungle, when I stumbled onto a name of a campaign called "Living Verge".

I looked that up and found this page where someone is asking what a Living Campaign is. That page has this about Living Verge:
mxyzplk at RPG Stack Exchange wrote:There was also an explosion of smaller Living campaigns, like I played in Living Verge that supported Alternity.
Does anyone know any more about Living Verge?

Did it tie-in with an Alternity campaign setting? (If so, which one?)

Was Living Verge it's own campaign setting? (If so, does the setting have another name that is more commonly used on websites?)

Was Living Verge something else (with no setting)?

Are there any websites or forums for it online?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Alternity] Living Verge

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:46 pm

"I always liked Alternity. I was on the Living Verge staff (Alternity Star*Drive Organized Play) when WotC acquired the Star Wars license and announced plans for Living Force. The campaign staff decided that they wanted to go out with a bang instead of whimper because it was clear that the setting's days were numbered." ~ sieylianna
Source.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Here is as definitive a list as I could find of Living Verge Alternity adventures:
OK Here is the list

Whirlwind Tour* by Ramsey Lundock 1999
Reaching Out by August Hahn 1999
Food Fight by Ramsey Lundock 1999
A Cry for Help by Brian Olson 1999
Baiting the Lioness by Phil Tobin and Frederick Best 1999
Like a Lighthouse on a Hill by Reynolds Jones 1999
Busy Night by Randy Bisig 1999
Pick Your Freiends Carefully by J Allen Fawcett 1999

The Hammer Falls by Thomas Terrill 2000
Handle With Care by Ed Gibson 2000
Elevator Music by Phil Tobin 2000
All’s Game (Interactive)* by Lori Carnahan 2000

Fresh Meat by Allen Carnahan 2001
Dead Space by Ramsey Lundock 2001
Rat Race by Ramsey Lundock 2001
Onion Skin* by Ramsey Lundock 2001
The Calm Before the Storm*
Happily Ever After* 2002

*These are the only games with a set order, the others can be switched around. Order presented is by copyright date

Other RPGA Adventures

Star*Drive modules.
Like a Lighthouse on a Hill by Reynolds Jones
Playing the Part by Jesse Decker
Second-hand Treasure by Ramsey Lundock
End of the Line by Jeff Quick

Gamma World

Misty Mountain Hoop by Michael Selinker

Dark.Matter

Vague Remembrance by Kevin William Melka

Generic Alternity
(deal with Norse Mythology and nothing specific to any of the official campaign settings.)
Bride of the Gods by Kevin William Melka
Odhinn's Honor by Kevin William Melka

Adventurer's Guild modules Setting Linking product
Folds in the Tapestry** by Jeff Quick Alternity Alternity Players Handbook
Salvage by Thomas Reid Star Drive Star Drive Campaign Setting
Burn Pirates by Richard Dakan Star Drive Star Drive Campaign Setting
Interfall by Ron Bedison Alternity Starships
Project: Maelstrom by Martin Shoemaker Alternity Tangents: Parallel Worlds
End of Innocence by J.D. Wiker Star Drive Systems of the Verge
Epitaph by Jesse Decker Dark Matter Dark Matter Campaign Setting
Playing the Part by Jesse Decker Star Drive System Guide to Aegis (PDF ONLY)

**Reprinted in TSR JAM
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Starglim
Goblin

Post by Starglim » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Was Living Verge it's own campaign setting? (If so, does the setting have another name that is more commonly used on websites?)
Living Verge (Wayback Machine) was set in the Star*Drive campaign, mostly on the planet Marybelle in The Verge sector, though some adventures were fairly generic.

Marybelle's star system, Argos, appears on the map in the Campaign Setting and features in history of the setting in general, but was described more extensively for the organised play campaign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:46 pm
"I always liked Alternity. I was on the Living Verge staff (Alternity Star*Drive Organized Play) when WotC acquired the Star Wars license and announced plans for Living Force. The campaign staff decided that they wanted to go out with a bang instead of whimper because it was clear that the setting's days were numbered." ~ sieylianna
Source.
Thanks for the link.

That's not a Living Verge topic, but there is an interesting subdiscussion about Living Verge there, starting off with the post you mentioned.

@stroVal asked: "Interesting.So what was it? That 'bang'?" and then sieylianna said this:
sieylianna wrote:A big interactive with multiple groups. Group A had to take down the shield generators (equivalent) or Group B would die (this was only a small part of the interactive). As far as I know (and I've been doing living campaigns for a long time), that is the only time where PCs could have died with absolutely no control over their own fates because the other players failed. It was an epic battle and everyone was happy to see the campaign go out on a high note.
It looks like sieylianna was also making Alternity content for Hero Lab. So that's two things that might be good subjects for their own topics.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am

RobJN wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm
Here is as definitive a list as I could find of Living Verge Alternity adventures:
Thanks for the list RobJN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am

Starglim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Living Verge (Wayback Machine) was set in the Star*Drive campaign, mostly on the planet Marybelle in The Verge sector, though some adventures were fairly generic.
Thanks for the link Starglim!

It looks like you signed up here to help me, so double-thanks for that.

It looks like you already found the "Introduce Yourself Here" topic, but welcome to The Piazza!
Starglim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 pm
Marybelle's star system, Argos, appears on the map in the Campaign Setting and features in history of the setting in general, but was described more extensively for the organised play campaign.
That looks like something that would continue to be useful to Alternity fans, old and new.

I wonder if the Argos star system could also be used for fans of other systems/settings. Maybe Traveller or d20 Future fans could use it.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 am

Sounds like an interesting initiative, but we can't say mauch without the actual adventures...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Alternity”