[Alternity] How many old and new settings are there?

The Future Has No Limits Gamma World can be discussed in it's own forum. Dark•Matter, StarCraft Adventures, Star*Drive, Tangents, Dark Nebula, Protostar and other Alternity settings can be discussed here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Alternity] How many old and new settings are there?

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 pm

There was a request for an Alternity forum a while ago, but I'm a bit confused by the fact that Alternity seems to have some campaign settings.

How many campaign settings were created for Alternity? What are they all called and what sort of settings were they? Which settings were created for the original Alternity system and which were created for the new Alternity system?

Were the Alternity settings connected together (the way that the Great Wheel connects some of the D&D settings)?

(Is one of the Alternity settings the one that had monsters raided from it for Spelljammer?)

Did the Alternity settings all get rebooted as d20 Future campaign settings? If not, how many Alternity settings are available in a d20 Modern version and how many are only available for the original rules?)

I know that the new Alternity RPG is not really the same thing as the original and that the new publisher does not own the original Alternity settings.

How easy is it to use classic Alternity settings with the new Alternity rules? And how easy is it to use new Alternity settings with classic Alternity rules?

Are there any third-party Alternity products out there, that contain a campaign setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Alternity] How many old and new settings are there?

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 pm

WIKIPEDIA is a great resource for this kind of question:

TSR Alternity:
« Campaign settings:
In addition to the general Alternity line of products, four campaign settings were published, each with their own books:

- Star*Drive – A space opera setting.
- Dark•Matter – A setting similar to The X-Files television show.
- Gamma World – An update to the classic post-apocalyptic game setting.
- StarCraft Adventures – Based on the popular computer strategy game by Blizzard Entertainment. This setting used simplified "fast play" rules rather than the full Alternity rule set.»

------------------------
« WIKI d20 Modern:
Dark•Matter: Shades of Grey is a d20 Modern mini-game of conspiratorial suspense presented in Polyhedron Magazine issue #167 (also known as Dungeon Magazine issue #108) and then as a stand-alone d20 Modern book, Dark•Matter, in September 2006. It is a remake of the Dark•Matter campaign setting for Alternity. It uses concepts from the core d20 Modern RPG rules and the Urban Arcana and d20 Menace Manual sourcebooks, which are also recommended for use to get the most from the setting.»

----------------------
« WIKI d20 Future:
Star*Drive, a political space opera taking placed in the 26th century. It is a remake of Alternity campaign setting of the same name.»
Last edited by shesheyan on Tue May 28, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue May 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Dark Matter was written as an original setting for Alternity, with multiple books. It later got the d20 Modern treatment as a campaign setting book.

Tangents was a single book for Alternity, which outlined a multiple dimensions setting that could function as a "bridge" metasetting similar to Spelljammer or Planescape. The meat of the book effectively outlined a base for re-creating GURPS' Infinite Worlds setting.

There was an edition of Gamma World for Alternity (single book), and also of Starcraft (boxed set).

Stardrive was the only other original setting for Alternity, again with multiple books. It later got the d20 Modern treatment as a few pages within the campaign settings chapter of d20 Future.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 pm

On drivethru, another great ressource for info, you can find info on Alternity products by Sashquatch.

« Protostar Mission Guide: An introduction to the hard sci-fi Protostar campaign setting with a series of adventures that explore the worlds beyond the wormholes of the Protostar Nexus. In the 23rd century, governments and corporations vie for control of the corridors between our solar system and the resources of the worlds beyond the gates. » Also «The year is 2268, and humans have settled Mars, the asteroid belt, and the moon systems of the outer planets. On Neptune's moon Triton, a mysterious alien gate leads to a network of wormholes spanning hundreds of star systems. But this is a dangerous time to be alive: crime lords, despotic governments, and corrupt megacorps are all fighting to control the future. Choose your friends--and enemies--carefully.»

«Dark Nebula Mission Guide: An adventure series set in the Dark Nebula campaign, a far-future setting in which slowly decaying, milennia-old empires clash while distant stars are being extinguished by some unknown force.»

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 28, 2019 6:11 pm

.... I go back to work for one day, and Ash steals my thunder.... ;(

... and speaking of thunder, while it isn't an official setting, the Squatches did put out a post-apocalyptic playtest adventure, Thunder Run, which was later brought up to spec to the full ruleset.

There was much encouragement to give your local neighborhood the Thunder Run treatment, if your players wanted to continue the adventures.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 pm
WIKIPEDIA is a great resource for this kind of question:
It is indeed, but as:
  1. I had something more important to do (regarding the Alternity forum request, that I've been working on since yesterday) and
  2. I do not understand Alternity enough to understand if anything is missing from a list on a page
I needed some experts to help me. :)

And you have come through. :cool:

So it looks like the list of settings are:

Old Alternity Settings:
  • Dark•Matter
  • Gamma World
  • StarCraft Adventures
  • Star*Drive
  • Tangents
New Alternity Settings:
  • Dark Nebula
  • Protostar
Thanks everyone, for your help. I'll go look at your other feedback later, in case I need to do some more trawling.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Gnoll

Post by Digitalelf » Fri May 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Dragon Magazine also published a few settings.

Alternate Frontiers (Star Frontiers conversion)
Armed & Dangerous (Fallout 2 conversion)
Battle Zone (A 1980's sci-fi video game conversion)
New Frontiers (Traveller conversion)
Top Secret (Which used the Dark*Matter campaign setting)

The "Armed & Dangerous" article gave stats for the various weapons and equipment from Fallout 2, but no real "campaign" information.

There is also (found on the internet), a Masque of the Red Death conversion out there.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “Alternity”