[TORG] Why Play in the Nile Empire?

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[TORG] Why Play in the Nile Empire?

Post by Havard »

I regret not investing in the Nile Empire Kickstarter for TORG Eternity since The Nile Empire was always my favorite Cosm (Realm) in the TORG Multiverse.

Covering large parts of North and Central Africa as well as stretching into Saudi Arabia, this realm lets you play pulp style heroes like Indiana Jones or masked heroes and battle the Nazi-like troopers of the evil Pharaoh, Doctor Moebius. What's not to love?

I still don't own the TORG Eternity version of the Nile Empire, but I like that they have allowed the realm to expand into a much larger territory than in the original. Looks like they have retained weird science and other strange and wondrous features of this Cosm.

Why play anywhere else? :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zackzenobi
Hobgoblin

Re: [TORG] Why Play in the Nile Empire?

Post by Zackzenobi »

I love the Nile Empire so much I pledged at the Archetype Backer level. To be fair, I've done it for each Cosm so far. But my Nile Chosen Hero is one of my favorites, dont tell the others.

I mean you've got Gangsters, Mummies, Pulp Villians, and Zepellin Aircraft Carriers; ( Deanna has promised art for that last one eventually)what's not to love?!

Gargoyle
Kobold

Post by Gargoyle »

I like to inject a little bit of Nile Empire everywhere. It really works well in the Living Land with Nile villains and shock troopers investigating Lost Worlds and hunting for Eternity Shards, but really you can throw in that sort of Eternity Shard hunting team into any realm for a nice twist and shift of genre.

TorgHacker
Gnoll

Post by TorgHacker »

Zackzenobi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm
I love the Nile Empire so much I pledged at the Archetype Backer level. To be fair, I've done it for each Cosm so far. But my Nile Chosen Hero is one of my favorites, dont tell the others.

I mean you've got Gangsters, Mummies, Pulp Villians, and Zepellin Aircraft Carriers; ( Deanna has promised art for that last one eventually)what's not to love?!
Yeahhhhhhh...unfortunately I couldn't justify doing another "Weird Science Airship" art piece with the cover art for Fires of Ra. Eventually though...just need something to justify it. :-)
Torg Eternity Designer
Torg Eternity Community Manager
Ulisses Spiele

Sir Alain Fisk
Bugbear

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

Your entire Player-base desiring to see it? One of the stretch goals in the next C-Funder?
When I was running Torg Eternity for my family in 2018, my youngest Son (18, then) had a Nile Empire Weird Scientist with a robot nicknamed Stompy. At the end of the last adventure we played before my Wife and I moved to Texas, he asked,

“Hey Dad, can Stompy have Stealth?” This is a 450-pound robot being made into a Weird Science helper, made almost of solid steel, and he wanted to add Stealth… we died the table-round at the prospect.

TorgHacker
Gnoll

Post by TorgHacker »

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 pm
Your entire Player-base desiring to see it? One of the stretch goals in the next C-Funder?
Problem is the next three are cosm specific. After that maybe.
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

Zackzenobi
Hobgoblin

Post by Zackzenobi »

So you're sayin' there's a chance.... :)

Ampersands
Goblin

Post by Ampersands »

Stretch goal PDF: Book of Airships.

Promotional blurb: “We heard you like airships...”

Wakshaani
Gnoll

Post by Wakshaani »

Platinum O'Keefe's Complete Guide to Airships.

:D

Utsukushi
Orc

Post by Utsukushi »

Airships are cool, but... overplayed. Sorry! I'm sorry! Please put the fruit down! I'm wearing white!

The Nile Empire, though, is awesome, and Havard - Eternity did an excellent treatment of it. If you can, I definitely recommend picking up at least the PDF. It does not, of course, have the amazing gadget construction rules that require actually drawing up blueprints (circuit diagrams? It's been a while since I looked at it, but what I'm remembering I think is actually closer to a circuit diagram. Anyway, you know what I mean.) In terms of flavor, it's one of the least-changed Cosms from the original TORG, because, you know, why mess with perfection?

BUT... they made Mathematics and Engineering magic awesome and workable for Player Characters. There are a lot of cool Pulp Powers that (to my eye, at least) did a pretty good job of resisting power creep. It blends the magic, religion, and powers aspects in really cool ways. It's just... it's really well done. Not just a favorite Cosm still, but so far one of my favorite sourcebooks for the new line.

GeniusCodeMonkey
Orc

Post by GeniusCodeMonkey »

Also, in oTorg the high Spirit side of things was downplayed a bit, whilst in TorgE it's brought more to the forefront with an explanation of the slimmed down mythos and the reasons for it.

Nile has always been my favourite, and Ulisses have done a terrific job of it for TorgE.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackzenobi
Hobgoblin

Post by Zackzenobi »

Utsukushi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:53 am
Airships are cool, but... overplayed. Sorry! I'm sorry! Please put the fruit down! I'm wearing white!
Deanna, pay no attention to the guy in the Red and White clothing...

TorgHacker
Gnoll

Post by TorgHacker »

Utsukushi wrote:

The Nile Empire, though, is awesome, and Havard - Eternity did an excellent treatment of it. If you can, I definitely recommend picking up at least the PDF. It does not, of course, have the amazing gadget construction rules that require actually drawing up blueprints (circuit diagrams? It's been a while since I looked at it, but what I'm remembering I think is actually closer to a circuit diagram. Anyway, you know what I mean.) In terms of flavor, it's one of the least-changed Cosms from the original TORG, because, you know, why mess with perfection?

BUT... they made Mathematics and Engineering magic awesome and workable for Player Characters. There are a lot of cool Pulp Powers that (to my eye, at least) did a pretty good job of resisting power creep. It blends the magic, religion, and powers aspects in really cool ways. It's just... it's really well done. Not just a favorite Cosm still, but so far one of my favorite sourcebooks for the new line.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

TorgHacker
Gnoll

Post by TorgHacker »

Zackzenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm
Utsukushi wrote:
Deanna, pay no attention to the guy in the Red and White clothing...
ROFLMAO!!!!!!
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

Wotan
Orc

Post by Wotan »

Why play in the Nile Empire? Well, because everyone knows that the Nile Empire is best at everything!

*whispers* are we still saying that?
*grin*

Seriously though, what's not to love about it as a setting? And, it has to be said, Deanna did a brilliant job of updating it for Eternity. :)
Nathan Smith
Glitchfinder General
"I don't mean to nitpick but..."

Return to “TORG”