[Taladas] Castles Boxed Set: Drungar

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Taladas] Castles Boxed Set: Drungar

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 pm

I just found a package in my mailbox containing the AD&D Castles boxed set. I was surprised to find a Dragonlance booklet inside containing a Taladas mini-campaign by David Zeb Cook! Is this common knowledge? Has the Drungar Campaign setting been expanded upon in other sources of fan material?

Has anyone used this campaign in actual play, for Battle System or otherwise?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: [Castles] Drungar

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Havard wrote:I just found a package in my mailbox containing the AD&D Castles boxed set. I was surprised to find a Dragonlance booklet inside containing a Taladas mini-campaign by David Zeb Cook! Is this common knowledge? Has the Drungar Campaign setting been expanded upon in other sources of fan material?

Has anyone used this campaign in actual play, for Battle System or otherwise?

-Havard
I have heard of it, but I don't have the boxed set.

Is this the one with the medusa and a minotaur guard named Klank? That might be something else.

I've not heard of any fan work done with it, though maybe James O'Rance mentioned it in his materials.

Nice little gem there, Havard!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

I couldnt find the characters you mention Dragonhelm.

The scenario details a war between the League of Minotaurs under the commander Lord Drungar and the forces of Thenol lead by Lord Rustan.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Wow! I didn't realise this Taladas source existed. How many pages are we talking about?

Does the booklet itself have a name? Is it just called "Drungar"?

EDIT: I think I've found the answer to my own question. There is a page at theminiaturespage.com for Drungar. It looks like this and the other two books in the Castles boxed set (one book for Greyhawk, called Hart and one book for Forgotten Realms caled Darkhold) are all 48 page books, that work with the same fold up castle construction kit.

From what I can tell the Drungar castle book, contains the new Battlesystem rules. So I infer that means there will be slightly less space for Dragonlance canon. Even still the scenarios mentioned seem to suggest a period of war between the two factions. That is something that could perhaps be built into the Dragonlance timeline.

Someone, called Andrew L. Miller, has designed castle layouts for: Marck Ford Keep, River Keep and Shun Keep. They are designed to be built with the cardboard cutouts that come with the Castles boxed set, but I wonder if anyone from the Dragonlance community could improve these three castles and make bespoke art that makes them have the same layout, but more detail?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:Wow! I didn't realise this Taladas source existed. How many pages are we talking about?

Does the booklet itself have a name? Is it just called "Drungar"?
This booklet is 48 pages and carries the Dragonlance Logo and the title Drungar.
EDIT: I think I've found the answer to my own question. There is a page at theminiaturespage.com for Drungar. It looks like this and the other two books in the Castles boxed set (one book for Greyhawk, called Hart and one book for Forgotten Realms caled Darkhold) are all 48 page books, that work with the same fold up castle construction kit.
lol,
yep :)
From what I can tell the Drungar castle book, contains the new Battlesystem rules. So I infer that means there will be slightly less space for Dragonlance canon. Even still the scenarios mentioned seem to suggest a period of war between the two factions. That is something that could perhaps be built into the Dragonlance timeline.
Absolutely. Both the war and the NPCs should be interesting, as well as some locations which may or may not be listed elsewhere in Taladas material.

Someone, called Andrew L. Miller, has designed castle layouts for: Marck Ford Keep, River Keep and Shun Keep. They are designed to be built with the cardboard cutouts that come with the Castles boxed set, but I wonder if anyone from the Dragonlance community could improve these three castles and make bespoke art that makes them have the same layout, but more detail?
That would be interesting to see!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Classicdnd
Hobgoblin

Re: [Taladas] Castles Boxed Set: Drungar

Post by Classicdnd » Sun May 26, 2013 12:15 am

Fortress Drungar appears to be located in the town of Opsikion. All the other locations (River Keep, Teluch, Marck Ford Keep, Rukas etc.) on the TotD boxed set map are on the Castles map, but Opsikion has been replaced with Fortress Drungar.

The Castles boxed set is a bit unfocused. Is it a castles set or a Battlesystem set? If TSR wanted to flog Battlesystem, perhaps it may have been better to sell separate booklets for different settings rather than jumble together Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance (and Taladas, no less) products into the one generic 2E boxed set.

But it's still nice to see Taladas expanded, even if it was hidden away in a generic 2E product.
Image Image

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 26, 2013 7:21 pm

Glad to see you found the Taladas forum Classcdnd! :)
Classicdnd wrote:Fortress Drungar appears to be located in the town of Opsikion. All the other locations (River Keep, Teluch, Marck Ford Keep, Rukas etc.) on the TotD boxed set map are on the Castles map, but Opsikion has been replaced with Fortress Drungar.

Ah okay cool. Perhaps the town is located behind the Fort? The fort probably needs people to provide for its soldiers.
The Castles boxed set is a bit unfocused. Is it a castles set or a Battlesystem set? If TSR wanted to flog Battlesystem, perhaps it may have been better to sell separate booklets for different settings rather than jumble together Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance (and Taladas, no less) products into the one generic 2E boxed set.
Yeah, its pretty weird. And if they wanted to capitalize on GH/FR/DL fans buying it, they should have told us about it. Maybe like multiple logos on the box cover? Looks to me like it was a kind of last minute decision to throw it all into one box.

But it's still nice to see Taladas expanded, even if it was hidden away in a generic 2E product.
Definitely! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Classicdnd
Hobgoblin

Post by Classicdnd » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

Havard wrote:Glad to see you found the Taladas forum Classcdnd! :)
Nice to see The Piazza giving Taladas a forum all of its own, Havard. :D
Havard wrote:
Classicdnd wrote:Fortress Drungar appears to be located in the town of Opsikion. All the other locations (River Keep, Teluch, Marck Ford Keep, Rukas etc.) on the TotD boxed set map are on the Castles map, but Opsikion has been replaced with Fortress Drungar.
Ah okay cool. Perhaps the town is located behind the Fort? The fort probably needs people to provide for its soldiers.
It's plausible that Opsikian is no more. It's not historically unknown for small, strategically important settlements to be subsumed by bigger military operations. Nor is it unknown for towns to simply change their name. Alternatively, as you say, the town is still there, but now not much more than a small settlement in the shadow of Drungar.
Havard wrote:
Yeah, its pretty weird. And if they wanted to capitalize on GH/FR/DL fans buying it, they should have told us about it. Maybe like multiple logos on the box cover? Looks to me like it was a kind of last minute decision to throw it all into one box.
My guess is TSR scrapped together leftover bits and pieces that didn't have a home somewhere else. The set also seems padded out to try and make it more substantial.
Havard wrote:
Definitely! :)
Unfortunately, the booklet's content is almost entirely Battlesystem information, with scant Taladan fluff. I wonder if the Battlesystem campaign was originally meant for The Rule Book to Taladas?
Image Image

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 am

Classicdnd wrote:Nice to see The Piazza giving Taladas a forum all of its own, Havard. :D
Definitely. :)
Actually which settings get their own forums depend on how much discussion can be generated for each setting, so if there are other worlds deserving, anyone can affect this development :)
It's plausible that Opsikian is no more. It's not historically unknown for small, strategically important settlements to be subsumed by bigger military operations. Nor is it unknown for towns to simply change their name. Alternatively, as you say, the town is still there, but now not much more than a small settlement in the shadow of Drungar.
Definitely possible.
Would that mean that the Drungar adventure is set sometimes after the Taladas boxed set?
Unfortunately, the booklet's content is almost entirely Battlesystem information, with scant Taladan fluff. I wonder if the Battlesystem campaign was originally meant for The Rule Book to Taladas?
Certainly a possibility. In the age of the internet it may have been release as a web enhancement? Still, the info on the fortress and the army leaders can probably be useful in many different campaigns.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Taladas and Otherlands”