Parallels between Spelljammer and the Star Wars EU

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Parallels between Spelljammer and the Star Wars EU

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 am

The Celestials = the Juna. Both were ancient, advanced aliens who could engineer at a planetary level and seeded the various planets with some of the common races of today.

The Kwa = the Arcane. They're both blue giants who uplift other races to space travel. You could also compare them to the Reigar, who are also said to have uplifted races in ancient times and used to be a bigger deal, apparently, than they are now.

The Rakata = the illithids. They're both amphibious predators who ruled ancient slaver empires. They terraformed some worlds to suit their needs and sometimes devoured their slaves.

The Sith = the gith. I don't mean the Sith Order but the original Sith species, since they were an enemy of the Rakata and, in AD&D, githyanki are one of the first examples of anti-paladins. The fact that their names rhyme is just a nice bonus.

The Hutts = the neogi. Well, anyway, I can imagine Jabba as a bloated Old One.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Parallels between Spelljammer and the Star Wars EU

Post by Havard » Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 am

Nice!

This setup actually gave me some more insight in the Spelljammer races :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 25, 2014 3:54 am

Great thread! Has me pondering whether getting rid of my Star Wars D20 books is a bad idea. :idea:
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:05 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:The Rakata = the illithids. They're both amphibious predators who ruled ancient slaver empires. They terraformed some worlds to suit their needs and sometimes devoured their slaves.
Interesting take.

I've always thought illithids are more like the goa'uld from Stargate.
Havard wrote:This setup actually gave me some more insight in the Spelljammer races :)
We will make a Spelljammer fan of you, yet. ;)
The Angelic Dragon wrote:Great thread! Has me pondering whether getting rid of my Star Wars D20 books is a bad idea. :idea:
Sean K Reynolds published a booklet (which I don't own) called File Off the Serial Numbers, which was all about rebooting monsters to make new monsters. If you are going to keep some of your gamebooks, you should be able to raid them to give you ideas that make your other gamebooks work better.

I don't play Star Wars myself, but I bet a lot of the space races could be given a fantasy reboot, a new name and a new appearance and nobody would ever know they were from Star Wars.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:20 pm

This reminds me of something I did a long time ago to blend Spelljammer with TFG's Starfleet Battles (Star Trek) universe.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've always thought illithids are more like the goa'uld from Stargate.
Well, I just think the Rakata are the best Star Wars analogy. There are a lot of things you can compare them to in other franchises. The concept of the ancient illithid empire (as created by Charles Stross as part of the background of the gith races) was directly inspired by Larry Niven's Thrint. The Hive on the short-lived 1990s TV series Dark Skies made me think of mind flayers, too, probably for the same reasons the Goa'uld make you think of them.

However, the tsochari from Lords of Madness are a better parallel to both the Goa'uld and the Hive in that they're parasites who assume control of humanoid hosts without transforming them, enabling them to pass as members of their host races.

The actual M.O. of the Goa'uld, stealing humans from ancient Egypt to be slaves on other conquered worlds, is pretty close to what the Imaskari from the Forgotten Realms setting do, although the Imaskari are humans and not alien parasites wearing human flesh.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:27 am

ripvanwormer wrote:However, the tsochari from Lords of Madness are a better parallel to both the Goa'uld and the Hive in that they're parasites who assume control of humanoid hosts without transforming them, enabling them to pass as members of their host races.
You make an excellent point.
ripvanwormer wrote:The actual M.O. of the Goa'uld, stealing humans from ancient Egypt to be slaves on other conquered worlds, is pretty close to what the Imaskari from the Forgotten Realms setting do, although the Imaskari are humans and not alien parasites wearing human flesh.
True. And this reminds me that we probably need a "Mulhorandispace" thread here at some point.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”