3d central Thyatis

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

3d central Thyatis

Postby aklanda » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Played around a bit with map-making in 3d. Here is my first attemp:

In the front you can see the County of Hattias, further back central Thyatis and the Altan Tepes Mountains in the background.

If anybody wants the 3d-file (obj-format), just drop me a note.

The map and the 3d-object are generated automaticly from a map of thorf.
Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Re: 3d central Thyatis

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Very cool! What tools did you use for this map?

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 am

Very nice! Did you write a computer program to generate this map?

How did you infer height data from Thorf's original 2D map? Did you invent some sort of rules for terrain having slopes?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby aklanda » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:09 am

agathokles wrote:Very cool! What tools did you use for this map?

I wrote my own software for it. I needed some easy-to-read strategic maps for my simulator and wanted to digitalize some of the pixel-maps for this reason.

Big Mac wrote:How did you infer height data from Thorf's original 2D map? Did you invent some sort of rules for terrain having slopes?

First thing was to digitalize the map itself. For that I had to analyse the terrain-tiles of Thorf for the amount of black, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow and black pixels, which are typically for a given tile. The result of the analysis looked like the following excerpt (the last seven numbers do represent the amounts of dots of the named colors, as already stated, the third column holds the info about the average color, which is later used in the 3d map for coloring the hexes):

Code: Select all

1   Capital      &cB77944   3   1   1         183   121   68                                       45   54   0   0   0   41   58
2   Metropolis      &c536F38   3   1   2         83   111   56                                       2   59   3   43   1   2   57
3   City      &c58763B   3   1   3         88   118   59                                       2   62   2   40   1   1   60
4   Town      &c496231   4   1   4         73   98   49                                       1   51   1   50   0   0   50
5   Village      &c5A783C   5   1   5         90   120   60                                       2   63   3   38   1   2   61
6   Palace      &c57743B   7   1   6         87   116   59                                       2   62   3   40   1   1   60

I can provide the full file, but if anybody is really interested, I can update the upload-link of the simulator, so that you can generate your own file(s).

Afterwards I read in the pixel-map of Thorf. Then I entered the x and y-offsets in the software, so that the position I assume for Thyatis (x=0, y=0) equals the position, where you can find Thyatis on the map. Afterwards I had to try out several scaling factors, so that the hexes in the map equal the hex-size I assume in the software:

Then the computer had to read-in any single hex of the map (that is all the pixels in the map, that correspond with a hex). This takes some minutes, but can take up to a full hour with bigger maps (see my later postings).
The pc then compares the read-in amounts of read, green, blue ... with the stored amount for the tiles and thus assigns a tile to read-in hex.

The the pc stores the tile-number for the hex together with the position of the hex. This looks like that:

Code: Select all
x-Position / y-Position TAB tile-number)

0/0   1
-30/-30   38
-28/-30   38
-26/-30   37
-24/-30   37
-22/-30   37
-20/-30   39
-18/-30   39
-16/-30   39
-14/-30   39
-12/-30   39
-31/-29   38
-30/-29   38
-29/-29   38
-28/-29   38
-27/-29   37

The hole map of central thyatis by thus can be store in a file not larger than 30kB.

As you may have noticed the file format let you extend you map to any given direction without any problems, as you only specify the koordinates in regard to Thyatis.
You might also extend the file format itself. I could imagine adding a third koordinate z for "highness" and you might also add additional info after the tile set, thus as the name of a city or village. I'd be glad to hear your suggestions to this matter.

But there are also limitations:

1. Without further developed tielset-recognition the recognition of tilesets is not fool-proof. I had to limit the amount of tileset the pc is able to distinguish to about 10 (grassland, hill, mountains, cities etc.). The pc is NOT able to differantiate between a city and a village, as the amount of black pixels is nearly the same in both tilesets.
2. Some maps don't scale well, especially, when you have bigger maps that are assembled from smaler maps

The last step was the making of the 3d map, which was quite simple. I just had to read-in the generated map, create for any given location the 6 points of the hex as 3d-points and elevate them accordingly to the tileset. I only had to make sure, that "sea" alwasy stays sea-level and add some random-alternation for the other tilesets.

If you need any further info, like:

1. Some of the files stated above
2. The code-snippets for tileset-recognition or creating the 3d map
3. The created 3d-files (in obj-format, which is importable by blender. e.g.)

Just tell me.

If you want to make the process by yourself, just drop me a note. I can update the download link to my software, so that it also includes the part that allows the 3d- map-making.

BTW: I would like to ask you some questions, as this seems the right place to ask them:

1. The file-format of the map-file seems rather natural to me. But maybe I missed something, should add something or anyone knows about a canonical file-format that is already present?
2. As stated, the recognition of the tilesets is not always reliable. Should I implement a way to modify the map after it was automaticly created by the pc (That is, modify/correct hexes)? This would take some time, but if anyone wants this feature, I can give it a try.
3. As stated, the height of the points in the 3d map is created by the pc in accordance to the tileset. I can try to make them editable (though this may be the toughest thing to implement), if there is need for it
4. I enumerated the tilesets, as the tilesets of Thorf suggest. That is "1" for "2" for metroplolis" and so on. Is this an acceptable way or is there already another enumeration?

Thanks in advance for helping with my questions!
Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

3d of the known world

Postby aklanda » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Here is a second 3d map of the so called "known world", once again based on the excellent work of Thorf.

In the foreground you can see the main land of Thyatis with the island of the county of Hatias in front. Behind it there are the Altan Tepes Mountains, followed by the Emirates of Ylaruam. Even further north there are Lake Stahl and Lake Klintest in Rockhome, followed by the Ethengar Khanate.

In the west you can clearly see the Canolbarth Forest and more western the huge Lake Amsorak in Darokin.

Click on the image to enlarge it.

aklanda
Gnoll

3d-Symbols

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Working on 3d-symbols for the 3d map. Here is the "capital"-symbol:

aklanda
Gnoll

3d City

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:10 pm

And here's the city:

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Cool!

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Wow, looking forward to seeing more of this! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Havard wrote:Wow, looking forward to seeing more of this! :)

Here you are ;) (just finished "town")

aklanda
Gnoll

3d central Thyatis

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Have still to figure out how to correctly set the cities and capitals on sloped hexes. Here is a first try with a "flat" known world.Click on the picture to enlarge:

aklanda
Gnoll

Marilenev Village next to Specularum

Postby aklanda » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 pm

There is a view on Marilenev Village next to Specularum:

aklanda
Gnoll

Castle

Postby aklanda » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 am

Right now I am experiencing some problems with the display in the simulator. Have to fund the bug.
So here is the pure 3d-model of the "castle" without any sorrounding:

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Worked a bit more on the 3d symbols. Here is "camp":

aklanda
Gnoll

3d symbols

Postby aklanda » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm

And a fort:

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Yet another one: keep

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm

And a lighthouse:

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby Chimpman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Just had to pipe in and say that these models are really cool! I wish I had more time to really dig into your work right now alkanda, but I am definitely following what you're working on. Keep it up!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby aklanda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Chimpman wrote:Just had to pipe in and say that these models are really cool! I wish I had more time to really dig into your work right now alkanda, but I am definitely following what you're working on. Keep it up!

Thanks! I appreciate!
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 pm

And here is a mine:

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 am

And another one: Ruin

aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:35 pm

And another one: tower

aklanda
Gnoll

Downloadlink for the 3d models

Postby aklanda » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 am

In case anybody wants to download my mapping 3d-models (File-Format ".obj", 304kB):
You can use them freely as long as you give some credit to me.
Aklanda

mapmodels.zip

aklanda
Gnoll

Update for the simulator

Postby aklanda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Just posted a new update for the simulator (inclusive the hex-editor) over here:update Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Import-function for hexographer

Postby aklanda » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am

I implemented the import-function for hexographer.

The idea behind it is that you can create the map with hexographer and afterwards import it in the simulator and add all the special information the simulator needs, but hexographer doesn´t allow. Or to simply use the already in hexographer created maps.

BTW: Does anybody have a hexographer-map of Mystara or parts of it? I´d be more fun to work on Mystara than with a random map...

Right now you can only convert it to 3d, as the pictures below show. Later I plan to simulated the economy of the dominions based on the map-data and user-input.

Further down you see the hexographer-map and on the right side the imported map in the simulator in 2d-view.
Beneath you see the generated 3d map. Click on the picture to enlarge.

I decided to seperate the map-information, as this seems to make sense for to be able to simulate the economy.

"Terrain" is now simply one of the following entries:

none
Flatland
Hills
Mountains
Lake
Sea
sea deep

Additionally every terrain has a "Material". At the moment these are as follows:

not specified
Sand
Silt
Clay
Peat
Saline
Loam
Volcanic
Chalk
Rock
ice
salt water
freshwater

Another parameter is "Vegetation":

none
tundra
grassland
agricultural land
shrublands open
shrublands
shrublands closed
savanna
forest light
forest
forest heavy
forest dead
jungle
aquatic plants
Great Home Trees
Fungi
cactus
palms

There are also "Resources" (which I feel are not yet very well organized):

mine copper
mine coal
mine iron
mine gold
mine silver
mine salt
Oil
Wine
Furs
Game
Shellfish
Crop
Fruits
Cattle
Horses
Fish
Lobsters
Bears
Buffalo
Elephants
Whale
Dogs
Camels
Wolves
Caribou
Pearls
Ivory
Amber
Dyes
Spices
Coffee
Tea
Tobacco
Corals
Monsters (alive)
Exotic Animals (alive)
Dragons
Bisons

Hexographer map and imported map in 2D:

Converted map in 3D:
aklanda
Gnoll

Next

Return to Geographical Mapping