What does the Well of Souls do?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: What does the Well of Souls do?

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:25 am

ripvanwormer wrote:What if the Mouth of Death from M1 Into the Maelstrom, the volcano with a vortex to the Sphere of Death in it that Alphaks uses to send a toxic miasma across Norwold, is the Well of Souls? Or a recreation of it?
That is an interesting idea. Though as the Mouth of Death is connected to the Sphere of Death, the Well of Souls seems more likely to be connected to the Sphere of Energy? Bruce Heard once speculated in Dragon Magazine that the Soul was composed of Energy and Thought, while the body was made up of Matter and Time and gradually destroyed by Entropy IIRC.

Why would an artifact of energy be capable of changing the future? An artifact of Time would make more sense, like the one in the Comeback Inn. I don't know.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: What does the Well of Souls do?

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am

The alternate timeline creation feature is hard to explain regardless. Maybe it happens because an earlier iteration of the player characters already tried to destroy the Well and failed. Or because they tried and succeeded. Maybe there are multiple versions of the same adventuring party at cross purposes.

Since the main other thing the Well does is summon soul eaters, it seems more entropic than anything. Of course, Zugzul wasn't defined as an Immortal of the Sphere of Energy until later. And Alphaks was aligned with the Sphere of Energy until he was exiled by his own people and became consumed with his quest for vengeance.

Return to “Blackmoor”