The Kingdom of the Westryn

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

The Kingdom of the Westryn

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 pm

There are only a few pages about the Kingdom of the Westryn in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (pages 140-143). There is also a information for creating PCs on page 17. And Player's Guide to Blackmoor has information about noble houses on page 169 and information about organisations on page 209. But I don't really see any more. ;(

Are there any other sources for the Kingdom of the Westryn? Are any adventures or MMRPG episodes set in the kingdom?

Do any of the older Blackmoor books have anything on them?

Has anyone out there created any fanon that expands on what the gamebooks give us?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: The Kingdom of the Westryn

Post by RobJN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:There are only a few pages about the Kingdom of the Westryn in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (pages 140-143). There is also a information for creating PCs on page 17. And Player's Guide to Blackmoor has information about noble houses on page 169 and information about organisations on page 209. But I don't really see any more. ;(

Are there any other sources for the Kingdom of the Westryn? Are any adventures or MMRPG episodes set in the kingdom?

Has anyone out there created any fanon that expands on what the gamebooks give us?
Havard has just the thing for you here, over at the Comeback Inn.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:There are only a few pages about the Kingdom of the Westryn in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (pages 140-143). There is also a information for creating PCs on page 17. And Player's Guide to Blackmoor has information about noble houses on page 169 and information about organisations on page 209. But I don't really see any more. ;(
The Players Guide doesn't have too much on the Westryn, but there are many tidbits on them scattered throughout the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign book (main sourcebook). Look for the sections on the Spirit Warrior Prestige Class, the Geography Section and the Gods section for more details.
Not alot. Many of the ideas on the elves were first introduced in the d20 line. That is when we first hear of the Cumasti and the Westryn as two elven races. However, DA4 Duchy of Ten does hint at the western elves being their own thing and struggling with some kind of blight to their forest. I believe that this is evidence that these concepts go back to Dave Arneson's original campaign.

Above is a map I made of the elven realms of Blackmoor. The Westryn Kingdom is marked with Red.

I have done quite a bit of research on the history of the elves, and the split between the two elven races. The Westryn seem to play a similar role in the d20 Blackmoor Setting as Drow or Shadowelves do in some other settings. They are not evil, but perhaps misunderstood and sometimes foils for the rest of elvenkind. Their culture is like a combination of wood elves and wild elves. I think they definitely deserve fan expansion.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 am

I think that Episode 86 of the MMRPG (https://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vi ... =91&t=8892) offers quite an interesting insight as well and I warmly recommend going through it.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:51 pm

We've also been talking a bit about the Westryn in this thread about King Uhlmar, the King who (at least in my interpretation) placed the curse on this race.

There are scattered hints about the Westryn across the ZGG books.

The Blackmoor Player's Guide offers equipment and spells linking them to scorpions and other vermin. This suggests they have become a very savage race from living under their curse.

I used to believe the Spirit Warrior Prestige Class was designed for the Peshwa, but I found some clues that they might have been created with the Westryn in mind. This might also suggest something about Westryn beliefs.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”