Is 4e Blackmoor good for a newcomer to Blackmoor?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Is 4e Blackmoor good for a newcomer to Blackmoor?

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:54 am

Since I started to play D&D in the last years of 3.5, I didn't knew about many of the older D&D settings that existed in earlier editions. Heck, my D&D knowledge originally was mainly "Greyhawk" (the 3.x PHB version of it, not the true Greyhawk), Forgotten Realms, a little of Planescape/Spelljammer (that I believed were the same thing), 4e Eberron, 4e Dark Sun and the Nentir Vale. I discovered the great majority of the older settings on this forum, Blackmoor being one of them (I'm still struggling to understand the difference between Blackmoor, Greyhawk and Mystara).

Reading the forums, I also found that there is a 4e version of Blackmoor, that is good because I'm very familiarized with 4e, and I can approach the setting using that edition. So, I'm deciding wether on buying this book or the 4e Kalamar, that seems to be also an interesting setting; or Primeval Thule 4e, that is also catching my attention. But Blackmoor is more attractive because its price. xD

The question is: Is 4e Blackmoor a good book? Faithful to the setting and stuff. And, how friendly is for a newcomer to the setting? I mean, do I need previous knowledge about the setting to be able to play in Blackmoor 4e, or is all in the book?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Is 4e Blackmoor good for a newcomer to Blackmoor?

Post by RobJN » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:53 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Since I started to play D&D in the last years of 3.5, I didn't knew about many of the older D&D settings that existed in earlier editions. Heck, my D&D knowledge originally was mainly "Greyhawk" (the 3.x PHB version of it, not the true Greyhawk), Forgotten Realms, a little of Planescape/Spelljammer (that I believed were the same thing), 4e Eberron, 4e Dark Sun and the Nentir Vale. I discovered the great majority of the older settings on this forum, Blackmoor being one of them (I'm still struggling to understand the difference between Blackmoor, Greyhawk and Mystara).

Reading the forums, I also found that there is a 4e version of Blackmoor, that is good because I'm very familiarized with 4e, and I can approach the setting using that edition. So, I'm deciding wether on buying this book or the 4e Kalamar, that seems to be also an interesting setting; or Primeval Thule 4e, that is also catching my attention. But Blackmoor is more attractive because its price. xD

The question is: Is 4e Blackmoor a good book? Faithful to the setting and stuff. And, how friendly is for a newcomer to the setting? I mean, do I need previous knowledge about the setting to be able to play in Blackmoor 4e, or is all in the book?
From what I've seen of it, the 3.x and 4e iterations of Blackmoor are "self contained." That is to say, they treat Blackmoor as its own isolated setting, without links to any of the other worlds with which the setting has been associated (Wilderlands, Greyhawk, or Mystara). Coming at the setting through the newer editions may actually be something of a boon, as you won't have to deal with any of the baggage associated with older editions' shoe-horning. I know the 3.x version gives you the history, geography, and the rogues, regents & rascals of the setting, as well as monsters, magic items, and an enhanced take on the D&D magic system.

I'm not an expert in the newer editions of Blackmoor, having come to the setting through its Mystaran-incarnation (which was just made available through the DM's Guild).

Here is some earlier discussion of the 4e book. I'd also invite you to take a look through the Comeback Inn forums, which may have more discussion of the new(er) iterations of the setting.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Is 4e Blackmoor good for a newcomer to Blackmoor?

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks, that forum is really helpful (and I'm not even posted yet). At least, I understand now the difference between the Blackmoors (that I believed were all on the same world).

Return to “Blackmoor”