Is there a 5e conversion for Blackmoor?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Is there a 5e conversion for Blackmoor?

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:06 am

My group is ready for the transition to 5e at last, even when our current campaign, Blackmoor's Bizarre Adventures, is relatively new (as some here know, we are playing using 4e rules). I don't want to kill my Blackmoor campaign, or re-starting it from zero, since we have done some interesting stuff in the city (the PCs have bought a house and are converting into their headquarters, and have also helped the Eldritch Underground against the evil Wizard Cabal —In the eyes of my players, the Cabal isn't better than the Templar Order from Dragon Age, :mrgreen: ). Converting races and classes would be easy, and I will conserve some 4e fluff (mostly, regarding dragonborn, eladrin, and tiefling races), but I want something that feel old-school, or at least more related to the setting that anything a neophyte like me could do. I'm wondering is there is any 5e conversion out there. I've search in Google and in the Comeback Inn, but I've only found an incomplete class list done by Havard. It really helps, and I'm using it to start the conversion, but I've found nothing more.

Since my Blackmoor-fu if really weak (yet), I'm wondering if some of you know about a conversion, or at least a guideline to play Blackmoor in 5e. If not, I will do it with the little I have, but again, I'm not the most knowledgeable person about this setting...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Is there a 5e conversion for Blackmoor?

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:27 pm

This is something I would be interested in as well. I know my share of Blackmoor stuff, but I am still a newbie when it comes to 5e. But I think we should be able to work out the basics for sure. :)

What sort of thing should we start with? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm sure I could help out with creature conversions. ;)

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Fortunately, 5e hails back to a very-much BECMI/1e feel, and the DA modules more than likely can convert on-the-fly. It would be interesting to take a look at the encounters as-written in the various DA series modules, and run them through 5e's encounter building process to see how they stat up directly before doing any tinkering.

For my own purposes, I'm very much a "don't convert it until you need it" kind of GM/world-hacker. Unfortunately, my conversions have been mostly to Alternity, rather than 5e :P

Some of the material in the Wizards' Unearthed Arcana series of articles might be helpful, either in *ahem* borrowing, or reading through the design process to see their thinking on how certain aspects of the game are best carried out.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:44 am

Well, I'm beginning a small guideline about conversion. However, as I only have the 4e book, I would appreciate any help with the races don't covered in that manual (like half-orcs and gnomes). I guess I would leave the classes as Havard did in his guideline.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:05 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Well, I'm beginning a small guideline about conversion. However, as I only have the 4e book, I would appreciate any help with the races don't covered in that manual (like half-orcs and gnomes). I guess I would leave the classes as Havard did in his guideline.
Technically, if you're using the Mystaran version of Blackmoor, orcs wouldn't exist just yet -- they would be a particular bloodline of beast men. For all intents and purposes, I would think the half-orc and gnome could be used as-is from the 5e Player's Handbook.

Forest gnomes would likely be at home in the Red Woods alongside the Cumasti elves; the more mischievous or sadistic might lean more towards the Westryn forests, though. Rock gnomes would probably stick closer to the dwarves, and would be right at home at Blackmoor University.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:55 am

What kind of fey beings exists in Blackmoor? As in "Warlock Fey Pact Patron". I mean, Devil Pact Patron would be easy to get by (any devil from the Nine Hells would suffice), and the Egg could make an excellent Old God Pact Patron. But I don't know is there are any native fey spirits in Blackmoor that could give us the Fey Pact. If not, I guess I will import something from the 4e Feywild book.

Man, a Blackmoor wiki would be really useful...

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:30 am

Over at the Comeback Inn, Havard has some musings on the Plane of Ephemera, which was introduced in the 3rd edition days' MMRPG, Season 3. My own musings (and further links to such) can be found further down that message thread.
Rob

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 am

Wow, thanks. Something like that is what I needed. I think that with that and info from the 3.5 books I can make a decent 5e conversion. I'll post a small guideline this weekend.

Return to “Blackmoor”