Other worlds?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Other worlds?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:43 am

I am currently without a campaign setting book for Blackmoor (the last one I owned was the 3E campaign setting), so I am curious...are there any mentions of the bespoke Blackmoor world being connected to other worlds in the way that Mystara is connected to Laterre?
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Other worlds?

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:45 am

There are rumors that the portal in the basement of the ComeBack Inn might connect to other worlds...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Great topic!

Here are a few thoughts:

Original Campaign/First Fantasy Campaign
Dave Arneson ran the group through various world-hopping adventures. There are references to travelling through "the old teleporter" which could take the heroes to all kinds of worlds. This would among other things lead to contact with Earth at various time periods, including World War II. If one assumes this to be part of the Mystara or Greyhawk continuity, this could be the same as Laterre (Mystara) or Earth as visited by Gary Gygax' characters. There is also the Afridhi who might be from an elemental plane, or possibly from Tekumel. Tekumel characters also visited Blackmoor on multiple occasions, includling characters played by Prof' Barker, Chirine and others from that group.

1980s Blackmoor/DA Modules/Mystara Material
DA4 has the Afridhi recieve assistance from the Elemental Plane of Fire. Here, the Comeback Inn is mostly a time travelling device, though it is possible it is also a dimension travelling device, as mentioned by Ripvanwormer above. City of the Gods aliens might come from another dimension, especially if taking WotI information into account.

D20/Zeitgeist Games Material
  • Elves are familiar with many elemental planes, including those of Wood and Metal
  • Ordo Elementarum has visited many differerent planes, including the Plane of Time (Entrem?) and others.
  • The legendary Wizard, Skelfer Ard, may have discovered a new plane altogether, sometimes referred to as The New Lands or Shaedraeth. This may or may not be the home plane of the Docrae Halflings.
  • The Ephemereal Plane, Blackmoor's Fey world is detailed in the MMRPG modules. One could connect this to Fey lore from previous edition material as well.
/Starship Troopers Mode:
Would you like to know more?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow, thanks for that info, Havard.

To add my two cents, in the 4e Blackmoor book is mentioned that the ComeBack Inn isn't only connected via planar portals to other worlds, but that in fact it exists simultaneously on many other worlds as well.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm

You might also be interested in this older thread: What world do you connect Blackmoor to?
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:21 am

Not canon, but some ideas to connect it to other worlds might be:

World Serpent Inn: Dating back to 1E's Tales of the Outer Planes, the World Serpent Inn is a notorious world spanning inn, just as its name would suggest. Perhaps the Blackmoor Comeback Inn is connected to this locale, or might even be a past-iteration of the World Serpent (tying in with the weird time travel powers of the Comeback Inn).

Tanelorn: A personal favorite of mine, the Eternal City of Tanelorn exists across time and space. Maybe it exists somewhere in the same time as Blackmoor, or (perhaps) Blackmoor is just one of its iterations throughout the multiverse. (For more on Tanelorn, see just about any of Michael Moorcock's multiverse novels, notably the Elric series or the Corum Chronicles).

Odd Alley: Odd Alley in the city of Greyhawk connects those entering it to an area known as "Weird Way" which is an interdimensional market of sorts. It is not at all inconceivable that there are linkages to Blackmoor therein (or that Weird Way isn't actually Sigil or somesuch).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:49 am

I’ve definitely long thought that Sigil was based on EGG’s Weird Way. Though the concept is hardly unique. C.S. Lewis had the Wood Between the Worlds in The Magician’s Nephew. Raymond E. Feist’s Midkemia novels (based on an early D&D campaign at U.C. San Diego) feature a “Hall of Worlds” connecting the worlds. There’s also an inn there called Honest John’s, which resembles the World Serpent Inn. The World Serpent Inn comes from Jeff Grubb’s home campaign.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Not canon, but some ideas to connect it to other worlds might be:

World Serpent Inn: Dating back to 1E's Tales of the Outer Planes, the World Serpent Inn is a notorious world spanning inn, just as its name would suggest. Perhaps the Blackmoor Comeback Inn is connected to this locale, or might even be a past-iteration of the World Serpent (tying in with the weird time travel powers of the Comeback Inn).
I actually think that the idea of superimposing the Comeback Inn to the World Serpent Inn is a very good idea! :)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am

Yaztromo wrote:I actually think that the idea of superimposing the Comeback Inn to the World Serpent Inn is a very good idea! :)
As well as the Nexus from CM6 Where Chaos Reigns. Also the time machines created by Khoronus.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm

ripvanwormer wrote: the Nexus from CM6 Where Chaos Reigns.
When I played this wonderful adventure (I have really fond memories) the DM at the time decided to call it The ComeBack Inn... and at the time I heard about Blackmoor only because it was mentioned in some Mystara Gazetteer :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Blackmoor”