Garls of Blackmoor - How do they fit?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Garls of Blackmoor - How do they fit?

Post by Havard » Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Garls are referenced in severl of the DA modules, probably because Dave Ritchie had access to AC9 and wanted to make use of various creatures from that book (like he also included Sollux, Gakkarak, Genoid etc).

I have sometimes thought Garls were a type of giant, but officially they are related to humans and Neanderthals/Brute Men.

Some of Dave Arneson's early campaigns included a race of "Half-Men" as opponents. I presume these would have been visualized as prehistoric human subspecies like Neanderthals. It could be Ritchie replaced notes referencing "Half-Men" with Garls as the DA modules are for Companion Level and Garls are 6 HD.

So how do Garls fit into the greater mythology of Blackmoor that has been developed by TSR, ZGG and fans in later years? The D20 material does not make any mention of Garls which is a shame because I think it was within the scope of their lisence to include them. Garls first appeared in CM6 Where Chaos Reigns, so there might be material to draw from there. Although CM6 is officially set on Mystara's parallell world of Talos, I also really like LoZompatore's theories on adapting the CM6 locations to Mystara itself.

From my personal works, I am leaning towards giving Garls a backstory that is connected to the Burrower Wars. The DA modules have settlements of Garls in the mountains and wilderness regions in the Duchy of Ten and near the Valley of the Ancients. If Garls and other Brute Man races belonged to the same group, these could be remnants of survivors from an ancient age that followed the Cthonic Age. Most Garls might still be corrupted by the Burrowers and creatures like the Egg of Coot, or followers of the Cult of Id. I don't see them as well organized at this point, but probably more reliant on raiding and attacking weaker races. Some could be recruited by Orcs or Ash Goblins as muscle. I'm guessing Thonians would find them too difficult to control to consider using them as military or slaves, but who knows.

What do you think about using Garls in Blackmoor?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Garls of Blackmoor - How do they fit?

Post by Yaztromo » Mon May 13, 2019 4:46 am

Garls are creatures linked quite strictly to specific versions of the rulesets and if you don't use that versions they become a bit less relevant. They are however linked to the Half-men and, perhaps, related to the Beast-men that will be very important part of the future of Blackmoor and it may be a good idea having them around early on, during more classic Blackmoor eras.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Garls of Blackmoor - How do they fit?

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am

Havard wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 pm
What do you think about using Garls in Blackmoor?
If Garls have lower intellegence (like Neanderthals) could that give them any sort of natural defence against the Egg of Coot or other monsters in Blackmoor with mental powers?

Could any of their other abilities be a survival trait that gives them an advantage over humans and demihumans in specific circumstances?

Are there any "Lost World" areas near to Blackmoor, where they could have been protected by nature?

If you can find a way to tie them into some sort of other Blackmoor plotline, you might be able to make them part of a bigger theme. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Blackmoor”