Converting Blackmoor 3E Sourcebooks to Pathfinder?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Converting Blackmoor 3E Sourcebooks to Pathfinder?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:56 am

I am curious who has experience playing and/or running Blackmoor with D&D 3E. I'd love to know how true to the lore the 3E books are to the setting and if it might be okay to upgrade Blackmoor from 3.5 to Pathfinder.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Converting Blackmoor 3E Sourcebooks to Pathfinder?

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:56 am
I am curious who has experience playing and/or running Blackmoor with D&D 3E. I'd love to know how true to the lore the 3E books are to the setting and if it might be okay to upgrade Blackmoor from 3.5 to Pathfinder.
Hi Angel,
If Pathfinder is your game of choice, I think converting Blackmoor to that system is a good idea.

3.0/3.5 Blackmoor is a good introduction to the setting so I think that would be a good starting point for a Pathfinder conversion, especially since both games are based on the SRD.

I'm not sure what you mean by "true to the lore"? Some fans prefer the setting as detailed in the material from the 1970s and 1980s, but the d20 Blackmoor line is fairly close to the older material.

Now, many of the feats, spells and PrCs added across the 3E Blackmoor books are very generic and have very little to do with Blackmoor. In a conversion project I would probably ignore most of them unless you really like that particular feat/Spell/PrC.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”