Page 1 of 1

The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 pm
by Havard
Here are some ideas for the Wizard's Cabal:

The main idea was to reconcile the information about the Wizards Cabal from the ZGG line with the the plot from DA1 where agents of the Wizards Cabal kidnap the king. The problem is that the current Cabal isn't evil. My sollution is to have the Cabal be slowly corrupted, having the good forces within the Cabal being driven out, leaving an utterly evil organization around with influence in every court in Blackmoor

The Wizard's Cabal made a deal with Uther. Every nobleman in Blackmoor has a Court Wizard from the Cabal. This deal serves both groups: The Cabal provides the nobility with all the arcane services a nobleman could ever desire, but at the same time they get a heavy influence within the courts. The Wizards are even privy to many of the innermost secrets of the nobility and this is before taking into account the chance of unauthorized mind scanning magic used on employers. The influences of the Cabal also extend to other groups like powerful merchant houses and even some mercenary bands.

The Cabal Inquisition not only hunts down Sorcerers, but also has an internal branch which can be used to control the members of the Cabal itself. (I'm thinking of portraying them like the Babylon 5 Psi Cops.) People like Sildonis, the Fetch and Robert the Bald are good-hearted people, trying to make sure the Cabal remains a good organization serving the interests of Blackmoor, but other forces are working against them, which is why Robert the Bald has generally isolated himself from the Cabal working on his own.

The Church of Blackmoor is the major check against the Cabal as it denies them monopoly of magic. Not sure how this would play in. Also not sure how much I would want a Cleric vs. Mage situation. The fact that many of Blackmoor's enemies are religious fanatics might weaken the positicion of the Church. (Though it could also strengthen it).

The Egg of Coot might easily be behind the corruption of the Cabal. Wizards are likely to become fascinated with the technologies possessed by the Egg.

What have others done with the Cabal in your campaigns?

Havard

Re: The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 am
by hyrieus
Its probable that in maintaining his independence from Thonia Uther is in part forced to take his allies where he finds them. He would be looking to find some magical parity with the Thonians and the Cabal with its own grudges with the Empire would be at first welcomed to his cause, at least until they betrayed him :). Likewise the Church of Blackmoor has its own problems with the Thonian high church so they probably focus on cleric vs cleric first (civil wars are always the most brutal). You should also remember that the Cabal isnt necessarily united, with associations of rebel wizard exiles, backstabbing and infighting should be the plat de jour.

Re: The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:26 am
by Havard
hyrieus wrote:Its probable that in maintaining his independence from Thonia Uther is in part forced to take his allies where he finds them. He would be looking to find some magical parity with the Thonians and the Cabal with its own grudges with the Empire would be at first welcomed to his cause, at least until they betrayed him :). Likewise the Church of Blackmoor has its own problems with the Thonian high church so they probably focus on cleric vs cleric first (civil wars are always the most brutal). You should also remember that the Cabal isn't necessarily united, with associations of rebel wizard exiles, backstabbing and infighting should be the plat de jour.
Excellent points Hyerius! Uther is definately under pressure. Not only does he struggle to preserve independence from Thonia, but he is also surrounded by enemies in the North. The Cleric vs. Cleric conflict is something I havent given much thought, but definately something worth exploring.

The Cabal has many fractions. Heck it is made up of wizards, it doesnt get more individualist than that does it? Intrigue and corruption simply has to follow. As stated elsewhere, people like Sildonis and Robert the Bald represent the more sympathetic of the factions. Robert has pretty much isolated himself from the rest of the bunch. Then there are plenty of other factions who are not as sympathetic... :twisted:

Havard

Re: The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:45 pm
by Big Mac
Havard wrote:The main idea was to reconcile the information about the Wizards Cabal from the ZGG line with the the plot from DA1 where agents of the Wizards Cabal kidnap the king. The problem is that the current Cabal isn't evil. My sollution is to have the Cabal be slowly corrupted, having the good forces within the Cabal being driven out, leaving an utterly evil organization around with influence in every court in Blackmoor
I've got Wizards Cabal, but not DA1. I am a bit confused by your "slowly corrupted" idea. Is the ZGG line set before DA1? Or are you thinking of reversing the order, to make the two books fit into your plot?

Could this work the other way around, with an evil Wizards Cabal getting cleaned up?

Re: The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 am
by Havard
Big Mac wrote:I've got Wizards Cabal, but not DA1. I am a bit confused by your "slowly corrupted" idea. Is the ZGG line set before DA1? Or are you thinking of reversing the order, to make the two books fit into your plot?
Technically the d20 line is set 5 years after the DA modules, but the d20 line also ignores most of the events of the DA modules, so that they could publish their own versions of the Temple of the Frog and City of the Gods so it doesn't quite make sense.
Could this work the other way around, with an evil Wizards Cabal getting cleaned up?
That is also a possibility. I think what happened in the MMRPG module line was that the Wizards Cabal was eventually corrupted and then defeated and replaced by the Eldritch Underground.

My main idea though was simply to use the DA1 Kidnapping of King Uther plot within the context of the d20 line.

-Havard

Re: The Wizard's Cabal

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:39 pm
by ripvanwormer
If they hunt down sorcerers, what if they kidnap Uther because they've discovered he secretly has sorcerous talent, or they're worried his heirs will?