Blackmoor Castle project

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Aldarron
Orc

Blackmoor Castle project

Post by Aldarron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm

I posted a group project for keying Blackmoor Castle over on Dragonsfoot, http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 77#p976077 thinking it might get the most traffic there, but I’m sure folks here would be interested, so jump on in and contribute stats and ideas!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Blackmoor Castle project

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks for posting this here! Should be interesting :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Aldarron wrote:I posted a group project for keying Blackmoor Castle over on Dragonsfoot, http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 77#p976077 thinking it might get the most traffic there, but I’m sure folks here would be interested, so jump on in and contribute stats and ideas!
What does the "A" in your map indicates? is that sign besides it an external door?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 pm

The thread has been dormant for just over 7 years.
The original poster himself has not visited this site for 2 years.

Re-opening discussion is fine - just letting you know that you might not get an answer to your question.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Aldarron
Orc

Post by Aldarron » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:00 am

Sure he will. I'll answer all questions eventually. I don't think there is such a thing as a dormant thread when you are talking about-a game that's almost half a century old, and sometimes I take a while to get back to certain threads. heh.

So the A may seem like a mystery, but I think it is a map alignment indicator showing where to line up with the basement. If you look at the FFC (page 22 of the 1980 reprint) you will notice there is also an A on the north side of the basement level. I think these were put there by Bladsaw to show how the levels overlay. I do think it is an awful alignment - but I talked about that on ye old blog here https://boggswood.blogspot.com/2017/01/ ... ngeon.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Aldarron wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:00 am
Sure he will. I'll answer all questions eventually. I don't think there is such a thing as a dormant thread when you are talking about-a game that's almost half a century old, and sometimes I take a while to get back to certain threads. heh.
Thanks for coming back to add more information on your Blackmoor Castle project.

Welcome back to The Piazza! You might want to pop over to Ashtagon's Introduce yourself here topic, and tell people about yourself and the stuff you are interested in talking about.

We don't do "forum necromancy shaming" at The Piazza. Not just because it is pointlessly rude to have rules about that, when you are trying to build a friendly community about "50 year old stuff", but also because it makes no sense for people to start a second topic about a previous topic, if the discussion is totally a "is this still going" one.

But BlackBat is right. Some folks do move on. Sometimes I've bumped an old topic and I've bumped it too late and people don't remember all the details. So sometimes bumping a topic doesn't lead to a discussion getting revived. ;( (Sometimes folks don't notice that a topic is super-old, so I think he was being helpful. :-) )

I'm very glad that it did work out in this case, as I totally missed your topic the first time around. And my Blackmoor-fu (which is still fairly weak) was pretty much non-existent back then, so I'd have had no clue what this topic was about. (As opposed to now, where I've got a general idea, but need a bit of clarification.)
Aldarron wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:00 am
So the A may seem like a mystery, but I think it is a map alignment indicator showing where to line up with the basement. If you look at the FFC (page 22 of the 1980 reprint) you will notice there is also an A on the north side of the basement level. I think these were put there by Bladsaw to show how the levels overlay. I do think it is an awful alignment - but I talked about that on ye old blog here https://boggswood.blogspot.com/2017/01/ ... ngeon.html
If that is your blog, you might want to add a link to it, to your forum signature, so that people who talk to you can find it from any of your posts. :)

So, if understand correctly, from the Dragonsfoot conversation and your blog, you are talking about comparing the map you posted in this Dragonsfoot post with some other stuff, to try to infer what might be in the rooms of the castle.

I see an image link there, but when I load that image, I get a massive Photobucket watermark covering some of the information:

Do you have the link to the actual Photobucket page, so I can look at it over there (without the watermark in the way)?

You mentioned something about another map (and lining the two up). Are you comparing FFC to one of the 3rd Edition Blackmoor books? Or are you looking at one of Dave's private maps?

I was wondering, having watched some archaeology shows, like Time Team, if you could "sell" differences in the maps as the castle being damaged in some sort of siege and then being rebuilt with a slightly different alignment. But I'm a bit lost on what map is supposed to come from where, so I don't know if that idea would work.

I believe you were talking about periods when the castle was abandoned or captured explaining some of the things that people would find in certain rooms.

Has anyone worked out a timeline for Blackmoor Castle?

I wonder if it would be possible to create variants of the maps (using the differences that you have discovered) and to sell the differences as how the castle is set up for the different eras.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Aldarron
Orc

Post by Aldarron » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm
I see an image link there, but when I load that image, I get a massive Photobucket watermark covering some of the information:

Do you have the link to the actual Photobucket page, so I can look at it over there (without the watermark in the way)?
I think that's a photobucket thing that you have to pay to get rid of. But what you see is just page 22 of the FFC with numbers tossed in. Since then we have gotten another map with some of the rooms labeled.
Big Mac wrote:
You mentioned something about another map (and lining the two up). Are you comparing FFC to one of the 3rd Edition Blackmoor books? Or are you looking at one of Dave's private maps?

Oh, no. The 3e maps of the dungeon are almost identical to the FFC maps. The FFC maps are a little better but still have a few hiccups per Dave Megarry's hand drawn player maps. What I meant was comparing the castle map to the dungeon map to see where the castle sits on top of the dungeon.
Big Mac wrote:
I was wondering, having watched some archaeology shows, like Time Team, if you could "sell" differences in the maps as the castle being damaged in some sort of siege and then being rebuilt with a slightly different alignment. But I'm a bit lost on what map is supposed to come from where, so I don't know if that idea would work.

I believe you were talking about periods when the castle was abandoned or captured explaining some of the things that people would find in certain rooms.

Has anyone worked out a timeline for Blackmoor Castle?

I wonder if it would be possible to create variants of the maps (using the differences that you have discovered) and to sell the differences as how the castle is set up for the different eras.
There are timelines that would cover what was going on in the castle - the "basic" canon timeline can be found on page 148 of the 4e Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook. Roughly speaking the castle was repeatedly sacked and re-occupied after year 500 -"present day" Blackmoor being roughly 1035.

You could blame some alignment issues on rebuilding, although the Castle is built on a peninsular hill with not a lot of wiggle room, and the outer walls of the castle align with the level 1 passages of the dungeon and if you don't overlay them then a number of entrances are left floating in space, so to speak.

Return to “Blackmoor”