Aliens in Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Aliens in Blackmoor

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Aldarron wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:53 pm
I don't think Kuntz or Gygax was referenced anywhere, just the massive creeper.
The only monster I remember from the Gygax/Kuntz adventure was the mechanical wolf-thing? Guess I have to read that again :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 am

Creatures encountered by Mordenkainen and Robilar in the City of the Gods:

1. Flying humanoid robots
2. Giant weasel (a robot)
3. A Balrog
4. A bottle filled with a creature made of mist (mist mephit?)
4. Octopoid creature with three eyes
5. More flying humanoid robots
6. More robots
7. Plant monster
8. More robots

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 am
Creatures encountered by Mordenkainen and Robilar in the City of the Gods:

1. Flying humanoid robots
2. Giant weasel (a robot)
3. A Balrog
4. A bottle filled with a creature made of mist (mist mephit?)
4. Octopoid creature with three eyes
5. More flying humanoid robots
6. More robots
7. Plant monster
8. More robots
That lis is useful! I remember a few of these, but forgot about several of them. I thought the mist creature might have been a hologram?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:49 am

Havard wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 pm
I thought the mist creature might have been a hologram?
Here's the exact quote:
Rob Kuntz wrote:It was then that a hissing sound averted his attention from the object. He looked at the vat. It had had only a clear liquid in it moments earlier, but now, unmistakably, it contained mist. Mordenkainen stepped closer to examine it. The mist swirled when he did this. He peered closer. A face of some hideous horned creature formed before his amazed eyes. He stepped back as the mist started to rise from the vat's unstoppered top.

It hovered above the vat for a second and started to congeal, to actually form in the likeness of some gargantuan creature with a leering face and spine-covered body! Mordenkainen reacted swiftly. Thrusting his staff forward he sent ray after ray of frosty coldness into the manifestation. Each ray seemed to disperse part of it; but new mist rose from the container's insides, sustaining the reformation process. Mordenkainen sweated as he continued the attack. He thought he heard voices, and he cursed himself for not having examined the room, and its environs, more carefully. He was in it now, up to his neck. After several more rays the creature began to dissolve and the mist ceased flowing upwards. He had stopped it, whatever it had been.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:42 pm

According to this post https://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vi ... 252#p35252 also Dembol Sachar, a NPC present in the backstory of a few adventures from the MMRPG, is actually a crash-landed alien.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Alien creatures in Blackmoor
Ok I wil trying to follow Canon;
In the FSS Beagle were many creatures imprisoned (and released by the invading plunder force of Blackmoor before the vessel exploded.
Amongst these interesting to the Aliens of the FSS Beagle might have been (as canon suggested); Beholders and beholderkin (being sentient and totally alien, and a threat), several oozes(being interesting primordial), various dinosaurs(maybe even including lizardmen varieties unknown then like the troglodyte), Catoblepas/Nekrozon, Dopplegangers(and BECMI varieties), and some more.
I would also include most of the AD&D2 additions placed on Mystara with the BECMI to AD&D2 change of modules; ;like the Bronze, copper, silver, brass dragons (GKoM), Rhemoraz(GKoM), Ghaleb Duhr, Ankheg, Bulette, Bullywug &Gripply (they seem to have had an interest in frogs and similar, these could later have evolved into D&D BECM Frogmen), Lamia/Lasmasu(GKoM), Lreucrotta(Old D&D PC game), Peryton (GKoM) amonst others ...adapting/or barely surviving in an (to them) alien environment for many generations.

Other aliens suggested in fanware; Mindflayers (and other local creatures ,ike grey ooze, intellect devourer, brain mole, ) from the destroyed Damacles/Mertar Planet (see Spillworld where Blackmoor vessels even battled this race).Beholder vessels with Beholder/-kin, Hippomen/Giff (as Captain Blotomus in First Quest boxed set),Gith,/Githyanki/Gitzerai(as opposing forces in space) early individual Flaems and Alphatians, but also and ThriKreen creatures like alll would seem very logical. amongst these I would include the Wemic as being mentioned in Stoneprophet game, whivh with minor changes would befit the old Nithian area.

so in my opinion a whole list of alien creatures to the FSS Beagle crew and Blackmoor. some would have died out later, some would have settled in an ecological niche and proserred, yet i assume most would if they survived in very low numbers surviving in a to them alien world,
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Speaking of Blackmoor aliens; canon has it that the Sandfolk were around prior to the crash of the Beagle, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't have been an extraterrestrial species themselves. They are described as silicon-based lifeforms, which is very different from most other sorts of creatures on Mystara; they resemble in many ways the Green Martians of Barsoom. Perhaps it isn't coincidence that the Beagle crash-landed in the former seabed that now plays home to the Sandfolk. Maybe the pilots of the ship steered it there purposely because they sensed a lifeform that was similar to one known in their home galaxy, that had somehow been transported there centuries earlier?

(I am also reminded of the Pathfinder/Starfinder races of Kasatha and Shobhad, both of whom are four-armed extraterrestrial creatures who bear similarities to the Sandfolk.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 am

Personally I do not feel much the urge to cast the Sandfolk as aliens, even if they certainly could be, mostly because silicon-based lifeforms exist canonically as natives of Mystara (rockmen, geonids) and also contaminations from the Plane of Earth are always possible, so there is really no need for an extramystaran hypothesis :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:37 pm

James Mishler's timeline presented the Sandfolk as race that the crew of the FSS Beagle had picked up on M-Mars. Probably a further nod to the original inspiration from John Carter. I rather liked this because it gives us more ideas for developing M-Mars :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”