Koralgesh (from Dungeon #2)

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Koralgesh (from Dungeon #2)

Postby Havard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Lo Zompatore's placement of Koralgesh (from Dungeon) on this map, makes sense to me. (on the western coast of Brun)

Although not covered by the Haze, could Koralgesh be considered part of the Savage Coast? Even if not, would there be any connections between the two regions (historical or otherwise)?

Havard

Edit Jan 2016: Link updated
Last edited by Havard on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Koralgesh

Postby NPCDave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:10 am

Woah, Koralgesh is in Dungeon Magazine #2 which in and of itself is pretty obscure and hard to find. More context next time! :D

That was always my thought, as it is set on the west coast of a large continent. However, if I recall there are humanoids in the adventure, not sure how well that lines up with the savage coast in certain areas.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Eric Anondson » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:49 am

Havard wrote:Although not covered by the Haze, could Koralgesh be considered part of the Savage Coast? Even if not, would there be any connections between the two regions (historical or otherwise)?
I dunno, if the City States aren't lumped in to the Savage Coast, then I would have an even harder time accepting that a place across Yalu Bay and across the other side of the Arm of the Immortals, was part of the region.

That said, I do lump the City States in with the Savage Coast. :) I sort of use the Great Waste to arbitrarily divide Brun. Nations to the east, Known World. Nations to the west, Savage Coast. Sort of how in the real world, "The West" no longer has strong geographic meaning, and instead is more a concept, so too is how I use "Savage Coast" and "Known World" to lump together wide swaths larger than their original geographic derivation. :geek: So, yeah, in my use I would lump Koralgesh in under my terminology.
I have resumed my Flanaess cartography project. Visit my deviantArt gallery to visit my collection of Geryhawk maps. http://admundfortgeographer.deviantart.com/
Eric Anondson
Ogre

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 pm

NPCDave wrote:Woah, Koralgesh is in Dungeon Magazine #2 which in and of itself is pretty obscure and hard to find. More context next time! :D

Sorry, I guess I could have provided the source for that one :oops:

That was always my thought, as it is set on the west coast of a large continent. However, if I recall there are humanoids in the adventure, not sure how well that lines up with the savage coast in certain areas.

I was thinking Koralgesh was constructed by Tangor colonists from Skothar. The module says Koralgesh was destroyed 62 years prior to the events of the module (whenever we choose to place that in time) and I guess Humanoids have now taken over the area.

Eric Anondson wrote:
Havard wrote:Although not covered by the Haze, could Koralgesh be considered part of the Savage Coast? Even if not, would there be any connections between the two regions (historical or otherwise)?
I dunno, if the City States aren't lumped in to the Savage Coast, then I would have an even harder time accepting that a place across Yalu Bay and across the other side of the Arm of the Immortals, was part of the region.

That said, I do lump the City States in with the Savage Coast. :) I sort of use the Great Waste to arbitrarily divide Brun. Nations to the east, Known World. Nations to the west, Savage Coast. Sort of how in the real world, "The West" no longer has strong geographic meaning, and instead is more a concept, so too is how I use "Savage Coast" and "Known World" to lump together wide swaths larger than their original geographic derivation. :geek: So, yeah, in my use I would lump Koralgesh in under my terminology.

I like your model dividing Brun with the Great Waste. The City States are described in the SC material, so they could easily be considered parts of the setting, even if they are border regions. I don't know how much contact there would be between the SC and areas beyond the Great Nortway / Bay of Yalu, but the Ee'ar would likely know about that lost realm.

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Koralgesh (from Dungeon #2)

Postby paleologos » Fri May 26, 2017 4:20 pm

I think the western mountains of Brun (the Mountains of Gesh?) form a kind of barrier between the Savage Coast proper and the Western Sea, and so Koralgesh would not be affected by the Red Curse.

But sure, like the City States, any discussion of the Savage Coast should include consideration of Koralgesh and environs.
paleologos
Bugbear

Return to Savage Coast