[Tortle Package] Relocating Fort Ahoyhoy to the Savage Coast

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Tortle Package] Relocating Fort Ahoyhoy to the Savage Coast

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 am

With all this talk about Tortles lately, I've been thinking about Fort Ahoyhoy.

Ahoyhoy is a Tortle Settlement located on the Snout of Omgar in Chult fro the Forgotten Realms. You can read some details about it here. Sice it is a home for Tortles, I would think it would fit right at home on Mystara and more specifically on the Savage Coast.

Where would you place it? Would you make some changes to it or maybe expand it a little?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

paleologos
Ogre

Re: [Tortle Package] Relocating Fort Ahoyhoy to the Savage Coast

Post by paleologos » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm

From X9: The Savage Coast
11. EGG-LAYING GROUND (DM Map 3H)

If the characters sail around Safe Harbor peninsula, they can spot the egg-laying grounds of the tortles on the small peninsula closing off Safe Harbor.
Interestingly, this is the "snout" on Orc's Head peninsula!

TotPS part 1 (pg 46) states that "Module X9 mistakenly locates a tortle egg-laying ground on the tip of this peninsula. It is more likely a fortified snapper egglaying ground" but later (pg 60) states "Tortles usually live 40-50 years, mating and producing children only near the ends of their lives, and laying their eggs in family egg-laying grounds near their homes. Once every hundred years, however, all mature tortles make a religious pilgrimage to their ancestral egglaying grounds on the Dry Flats" so these egg-laying grounds probably represent "family" egg-laying grounds, rather than a fortified snapper egglaying ground.
Solitary sand dunes, the dried carcasses of creatures which have crawled here to die, utter silence, and rocks shaped only by windblown sand alert the senses to hidden dangers. Scattered among the rocks at the base of nearby hills are roofless compounds with six-foot-high walls built of piled rock. The solitary entrances to the compounds are blocked with weatherworn logs.
What creatures have crawled here to die? What happened to all the tortles?
The 16 fortresses protect the tortles' egglaying grounds. Females lay 10-40 eggs in the sand at a time. The white eggs hatch three months later. Armorers can fashion light weight plate mail (AC 1) from 25 fresh eggshells. Twenty-two eggs lie unguarded in the sand.
I couldn't find the value for encumbrance of tortleshell armor. Maybe 100cn?

Return to “Savage Coast”