The Red Steel Musket and other replicas for Red Steel Covers

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

The Red Steel Musket and other replicas for Red Steel Covers

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am

In this thread about 3E Rulebook Covers, Big Mac pointed me to a site that has the replica pistol used for one of the Red Steel Box covers:
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
I saw these on HG Higginbotham's website some time ago.

You will be interested in the Red Steel pistol, no doubt. (I'm not sure if that predates 3rd Edition or if it is evidence of an abandoned attempt at a 3rd Edition Red Steel campaign setting.)

I spoke to him, some time ago, on Facebook, when he posted some of the pictures there.

The DMG actually has a model (or half a model) of the planet Oerth, from the Greyhawk campaign setting.

I believe this pistol was used for the cover of the second Red Steel Box titled Red Steel: The Savage Baronies. I don't recognize the Red Steel Musket Tableau photo from any of the covers? Was it used for some ads perhaps? I wonder if HG Higginbotham has photos of the replicas used for the first Red Steel boxed set and booklets too?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Re: The Red Steel Musket and other replicas for Red Steel Covers

Post by The Dark » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:55 pm

The first Red Steel boxed set doesn't seem to credit the box art unless I'm overlooking something.

The Savage Baronies boxed set credits Higgenbotham for Model Construction. The original cover art is by Jaquays and the final cover art by Allen Pollack. The box art is also the cover art for Book I, but without the model pistol; the swashbuckler (possibly Miles Killian O'Kayne) on both covers is using the same pistol.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
The DMG actually has a model (or half a model) of the planet Oerth, from the Greyhawk campaign setting.
Never mind. 'Tis a silly place.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 pm

The Dark wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:55 pm
The first Red Steel boxed set doesn't seem to credit the box art unless I'm overlooking something.
I seem to recall being disappointed about that one as my first reaction was that TSR were being too cheap to pay an artist to do some proper cover art. Later I heard that the version used for the first Red Steel box was just a knock up version and that they were planning on getting a painting for the cover, but that TSR for some reason changed their minds and just went with what they had.

I do remember seeing a piece by Jenell Jaquays, but I'm not sure if that was intended for this one or of that was for the revised Savage Coast version?

In any case, it would be fun to see what happened to that sword and the shields used.

The Savage Baronies boxed set credits Higgenbotham for Model Construction. The original cover art is by Jaquays and the final cover art by Allen Pollack. The box art is also the cover art for Book I, but without the model pistol; the swashbuckler (possibly Miles Killian O'Kayne) on both covers is using the same pistol.

I wonder if Higgenbotham is willing to selll the pistol? If he still owns it? :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 pm
The Dark wrote:
I seem to recall being disappointed about that one as my first reaction was that TSR were being too cheap to pay an artist to do some proper cover art. Later I heard that the version used for the first Red Steel box was just a knock up version and that they were planning on getting a painting for the cover, but that TSR for some reason changed their minds and just went with what they had.

I do remember seeing a piece by Jenell Jaquays, but I'm not sure if that was intended for this one or of that was for the revised Savage Coast version?

In any case, it would be fun to see what happened to that sword and the shields used.
I'm not sure that modifying or creating a bespoke pistol would be substantially cheaper or easier than painting a pistol would be.

The great thing about an artist making something like the Red Steel pistol, is that it could then be used by anyone who wants to paint the pistol from different angles.

Jennel Jaquays actually created Last Descent using TSR's nautiloid model as a guide to her art. There are a few Spelljammer pictures where the ships look fairly vague, but that particular one is amazing, as she could get all the shadows and everything right (and then add on more details of her own).
Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 pm
The Dark wrote:
I wonder if Higgenbotham is willing to selll the pistol? If he still owns it? :ugeek:
That, and those 3e book models, are one-off items, that would probably be worth a lot of money to collectors.

(And they are not something rubbish but rare, like Up The Garden Path.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Savage Coast”