[Clone] Adventures Dark & Deep - Thoughts?

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[Clone] Adventures Dark & Deep - Thoughts?

Post by Princess Strega »

The Adventures Dark and Deep™ Players Manual contains all the rules you need to create and run a character; character classes, races, spells, rules for combat, equipment, social class, skills, and much more.

The Players Manual is the first core rulebook for the Adventures Dark and Deep™ game, an expansion and revision of the original 1st Edition rules that defined the role-playing hobby for a decade. Based on the original plans for expanding the game, Adventures Dark and Deep™ gives you new character classes like the jester, savant, mystic, and mountebank; new spells; a new combat system; new monsters; rules for weather and natural hazards; new magic items, and tons more. And it's all compatible with most old-school games, so you can use it with all your old and new adventures, settings, and supplements.

If you liked 1st Edition, you'll love Adventures Dark and Deep™.
Has anyone bought in to the game and run a campaign or session with it? I am considering picking up so that I might be able to retire my 2E Core Rules and use this OSR game as my default for 2e.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: Adventures Dark & Deep - Thoughts?

Post by Bouv »

One of the hosts on the Roll for Initiative podcast says he enjoys it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Never heard if it. Link?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Havard wrote:Never heard if it. Link?

-Havard
Player's Manual
Bestiary
Game Master's Toolkit

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Clone] Adventures Dark & Deep - Thoughts?

Post by Havard »

Thanks!

Looks like it is a 1st Ed Clone rather than 2nd Ed one. In any case, why not use OSRIC instead? The PDFs are free.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

Havard wrote:Thanks!

Looks like it is a 1st Ed Clone rather than 2nd Ed one. In any case, why not use OSRIC instead? The PDFs are free.

-Havard
From its inception, I was under the impression that Adventures Dark & Deep was a 2e clone, rather than 1e. Of course, I could be thinking of "For Gold & Glory" another AD&D2e clone. I've never understood the need for yet another clone, especially when OSRIC did the only 1e clone worth mentioning, evar. I'd rather see someone do a 2e expansion for OSRIC than another whole set of rules. :?

Sorry, I sound cranky, :evil: and I probably am. I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of a clone (I like a very select few meself), but I myself would rather play the original rules over a clone, because I have the originals and I never stopped playing them. I understand that a lot of gamers cannot get the print versions of the originals, or it would not be cost effective to print out a PDF of the original, because of crappy OCRs, cost of color ink & paper + page counts, etc.

Other than that, I really like the idea of clone rules to produce new modules that can be easily used with the original rules, and I think there is a lot of concentration on rules more than adventure. Hells, even I have started sharing free adventures for 0e/Holmes (via my house-rules), and I suck at producing modules. ;)
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv »

Havard wrote:Thanks!

-Havard
It's kind of both. A few years ago Roll for Initiative did an interview with the author. His intention (and did the research for it) was that it is suppose to be what AD&D 2e would have been if Gary Gygax had written it/oversaw it. So it's not a straight 2e or a 1e clone but more a merging of the two.

Greyhawk Grognard
Orc

Post by Greyhawk Grognard »

The rules for Adventures Dark and Deep are based on the 1E rules. It has nothing to do mechanically with 2E.

ADD differs from OSRIC in that it is not a restatement of the 1E rules. The rules have been changed and expanded in line with the original designer's published plans for a 2nd edition which never materialized. So the combat system is somewhat different (but still compatible with most 1E-compatible modules out there), there are new classes (mystic, mountebank, savant, and jester), each with new spells, there are new monsters, psionics are removed, and the material from Unearthed Arcana has been integrated into the whole (and have been tweaked to make them less unbalanced). There are also secondary skills, again based on material that the original designer wrote (in this case for Castles & Crusades), but still in the spirit of the project as a whole. They really work well, too, in my opinion.

Basically, if you liked Unearthed Arcana back in the day, which added a lot of material to 1E, you should like this, which adds even more, and integrates it all together.

Hope that helps!

Joe / GG
Visit my blog - www.greyhawkgrognard.com

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Thanks, Joe. Based on what you've stated it appears that this is not at all what I want.

Return to “AD&D 1st Edition”