Realigning the Priest classes spells. [CC welcome]

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Realigning the Priest classes spells. [CC welcome]

Post by Boneguard »

The article "Getting back to Nature" in Dragon magazine 205, had offered some good suggestions to try to bring back the Druid uniqueness by reworking the Spheres.

It's a good start, and it got me thinking about what else could be done. And how would it affect the specialty priest?

I like the idea of the reworked Sphere, some like "Astral" were not too useful and there were some overlapping that made no sense. The other thing I'm considering is reintroducing the Druid spell progression table (also to be used by specialty priest). This has several davantage.

1. More spell at low level,
2. Quicker spell progression,
3. Garanteed access to 6th and 7th level spells,
4. Although a high-level cleric will have more low-level spell, a high-level Druid/specialty priest will have a lot more high-level spells.

This makes more sense to me for somrobe who is closer to his God.

What fo you think? Good, bad?
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Realigning the Priest classes spells. [CC welcome]

Post by AuldDragon »

Boneguard wrote:The article "Getting back to Nature" in Dragon magazine 205, had offered some good suggestions to try to bring back the Druid uniqueness by reworking the Spheres.

It's a good start, and it got me thinking about what else could be done. And how would it affect the specialty priest?

I like the idea of the reworked Sphere, some like "Astral" were not too useful and there were some overlapping that made no sense. The other thing I'm considering is reintroducing the Druid spell progression table (also to be used by specialty priest). This has several davantage.

1. More spell at low level,
2. Quicker spell progression,
3. Garanteed access to 6th and 7th level spells,
4. Although a high-level cleric will have more low-level spell, a high-level Druid/specialty priest will have a lot more high-level spells.

This makes more sense to me for somrobe who is closer to his God.

What fo you think? Good, bad?
For me, the first thing I would do is ditch the PHB Druid experience progression and use either the cleric or the specialty priest progression from Demihuman Deities. I don't like the idea of different spell progression charts for different subclasses of the different major archetypes. PO:Spells & Magic (and preserved in the Priest's Spell Compendium) also reorganized some of the spell lists to return some spells to the Druid class that they lost from 1e.

Overall I really like the sphere system, and the current sphere set up is pretty great, IMO. It is a good way to divide up spells for priests. What I would like most is filling out the lists so there are at least two (common, generally-available) spells for each level for each sphere, which would dramatically help some of the smaller spheres like Astral and Time. Unfortunately, I'm only good at creating spells around specific concepts, or I'd work on it myself. I don't think all spells need to be useful to adventuring priests, either; I think some need to be "ways that non-adventuring priests get things done." Astral is most useful for high-level priests, and I'm fine with that, although it still needs more spells.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Realigning the Priest classes spells. [CC welcome]

Post by Boneguard »

We can see here the spell progression (from 1st editon), the adjusted Shpere from the article I mentioned as well as the Adjusted Spell access for the Cleric and Druid from the same article.

I like the idea -sure it might need a bit of tweeking- as it gives the druid more of what made them useful. however I can see your point and how not everyone would enjoy varied progression for sisters subclasses.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”