Alternate Alignment Rules

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Alternate Alignment Rules

Post by Havard »

Some reasons why Alignment always seems to be a point of contention in gaming groups is because they:
A) Involve hard to define restrictions
B) Introduce the risk of being penalized based on subjective and sometimes aribitrary decisions by the DM.

In my next campaign I am thinking of introducing something like this:

Good or Lawful: If a situation comes up where the character acts according to his alignment even if going against it would be easier/solve the problems, the player will be awarded a small XP bonus at the end of the session.*

Evil or Chaotic: These characters quickly develop a reputation for their behaviour. If the character's reputation causes problems for the PC during a game session, he will be awarded a small XP bonus at the end of the session.*

Neutral: May act as they wish, but may never gain any bonuses for their actions.

Players may change the alignment of their character at the end of a session if they feel like it and the character has behaved according to the new alignment in the past session.

Clerics and Paladins may still suffer some penalties for acting against their patron deities.

*=Who gets the awards should be a discussion in the group at the end of the session. All players could potentially get the reward.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Re: Alternate Alignment Rules

Post by Marco Fossati »

Havard wrote:

Neutral: May act as they wish, but may never gain any bonuses for their actions.
Isn't this a much more appropriate behaviour for a Chaotic Neutral alignment?

True Neutral should ever act to mantain balance between law and chaos, good and evil.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”