1st Edition Rules in a 2nd Edition Game?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

1st Edition Rules in a 2nd Edition Game?

Post by Havard »

Are you keeping any rules from the 1st edition in your 2nd edition campaigns? I remember we used to use sourcebooks like the Wilderness Survival Guide, the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Dragonlance Adventures for our early 2nd Edition games.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Re: 1st Edition Rules in a 2nd Edition Game?

Post by Jayce »

I've used Dragonlance Adventures in my 2nd edition campaigns, mostly for the priests I think (which, iirc, were written up a bit more clearly than on the Tales of the Lance boxed set). At the time I had never even read the 1st edition PHB or DMG, but the systems are similar enough to make most supplements work using just a bare minimum of common sense.

I've also been a player in a 2nd edition campaign that used the Unearthed Arcana Cavalier, which, as far as I can remember, functioned just fine.

Looking back on it now, I kind of feel like a lot of those late 1st edition supplements like the Wilderness Survival Guide, Unearthed Arcana and Dragonlance Adventures (this one especially) are actually somewhat closer to 2nd edition in their overall feel than they are to the early 1st edition material.

But I'm no D&D historian.

Just my two ceramics. :P

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Jayce wrote:Looking back on it now, I kind of feel like a lot of those late 1st edition supplements like the Wilderness Survival Guide, Unearthed Arcana and Dragonlance Adventures (this one especially) are actually somewhat closer to 2nd edition in their overall feel than they are to the early 1st edition material.

But I'm no D&D historian.

Just my two ceramics. :P
I'd say that's fairly accurate. Many of the things those books introduced as optional rules were incorporated into the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook, such as proficiencies and priest spheres. In some ways they were the testbeds for such rules.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Grimnir
Orc

Post by Grimnir »

One of the things that I pulled from 1st edition is the Assassin class. In 2e they stated that any class can be a hired killer, which is true. However in my opinion it makes sense that there should be a separate class for those players that want a dedicated professional and the mechanics for such.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer »

I believe there are over twice as many Second Edition products which refer to DLA, vs. TotL. I’m working on an exact count, but it’s about 15 to 7.

DLA was fully updated to 2e via Time of the Dragon and MC4 Monsrous Compendium Dragonlance Appendix.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer »

Likewise, there are several 2e-era 2e-logo Kara-Tur modules which direct you to use Oriental Adventures, I believe without bothering to “update” anything.

I have long thought of this as proof that the Monk was never removed from the game, but rather that there was thought to be a Western PHB and an Eastern PHB — and the Monk belonged in the latter.

That said, we didn’t care for this segregation, and just used the 1e PHB Monk in our 2e games without trouble.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

I think we played using the 0th-level character rules from Greyhawk Adventures once.

And there are a few things from the 1st edition Manual of the Planes that work a little better or are more detailed than they are in Planescape, like the way the Spire works, the rules for alternate material planes, and the more complete descriptions of how outer planar portals change in appearance from plane to plane.

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

Havard wrote:Are you keeping any rules from the 1st edition in your 2nd edition campaigns? I remember we used to use sourcebooks like the Wilderness Survival Guide, the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Dragonlance Adventures for our early 2nd Edition games.

-Havard
I used to do, and might inadvertently do so sometimes, but generally do not anymore. I am happy enough to just play different games differently.

One that I am hard pressed to leave behind is 1e age ability score adjustments, as opposed to 2e's. Everything HAS a 2e version, like them better or not.

In truth, I became pretty confident in my own ability about a decade ago, and changes I make are more likely to be of my own design now, informed by D&D (all editions) & many other games.

Willmark
Goblin

Post by Willmark »

I tend to use 1st edition rules for some parts: I.e. No damage caps to spells, 1st edition disease rules and age ranges and a few others.

In a way in a "late 1st edition gamer", meaning I started playing AD&D late in 1st editions fun,Matthew than the beginning as it were.

In a way my games I DM are very 1st edition like.
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked all over your grave".
My Western RPG- Hurled into Eternity

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”