Mike Mearls talking about his favourite Kits

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Mike Mearls talking about his favourite Kits

Post by Big Mac »

Mike Mearls has posted an Unearthed Arcana article, called Kits of Old. These are 5e conversions of kits, but what he said on Facebook was pretty interesting:
Mike Mearls on Facebook wrote:This month's Unearthed Arcana is up! The highly scientific process of picking which feats to convert took four steps.

Step 1: Walk over to our library of D&D books.

Step 2: Flip through the Complete books until I found a few kits I wanted to update.

Step 3: Design the damn things.

Step 4: Email them to an editor for the actual, hard work of making this stuff (in other words, make it coherent and useful).

Enjoy!
So, lets have a look at what Mike Mearls decided were the best Kits to grab for his Unearthed Arcana article:
  • Bard: College of Swords - Bards of the College of Swords are called blades, and they entertain through daring feats of weapon prowess.
  • Bard: College of Satire - Bards of the College of Satire are called jesters.
  • Fighter: Cavalier - The archetypical Cavalier excels at mounted combat.
  • Fighter: Scout - The archeypical Scout excels at finding safe passage through dangerous regions.
Which 2nd Edition Kits are your favourite ones?

Has anyone ever considered doing the opposite of what Mike Mearls has done and retro-converted 3rd Edition Prestige Classes or anything from 4th Edition to make extra 2e Kits?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Birchbeer
Shade

Re: Mike Mearls talking about his favourite Kits

Post by Birchbeer »

I've been watching a few boards and occasionally people convert the prior editions of classes, kits or feats to 5e.

Reddit's Unearthed Arcana

Per 2e I'm tempted to convert the following (Only bards as they were my favorite in 2e):
  • Bard
  • Gallant
  • Herald
For 3e I need more time, and some of my old books. :)

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”