Making the Most of 2nd Edition

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Fireball
Goblin

Making the Most of 2nd Edition

Post by Fireball »

Hi, there! I run a lot of games for 2nd Edition fans, and while I use my home rules much of the time, I really want to know more about what you like most about D&D as particular fans of 2nd Edition over any other edition. What really defines the edition for you, which you'd miss if it wasn't in an adventure? And what are your feelings about drawing from other editions or RPG's, and using lots of new monsters and abilities you've never played with before? How do you make the most of 2nd Edition?

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Re: Making the Most of 2nd Edition

Post by AuldDragon »

For me, the flexibility of the edition is key; Once you know the basic rules, it's very easy to make rulings for any situations that come up, and very easy for players to be imaginative and inventive in their roleplaying. In addition, the inherent bounds placed on the system (fixed ability score limits, AC limits, and THAC0 limits) make it easy to estimate power levels and limit power growth. Lastly, I think the detailed style of writing is unsurpassed in any other edition of the game.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Although it is not my favourite edition of D&D, I have very fond memories of playing AD&D 2nd edition. It is probably THE edition of D&D that I have clocked the most hours as a player. Good times. :)

Sometimes we used only the core rulebooks. Other times we used tons of additional handbooks, house rules and additional material. Early on we ran games that were a mix of 1st and 2nd edition.

If I was to run or play in a 2nd edition game today, I would prefer a game that was as simple as possible, cutting down on many of the options unless there was a specific demand for it.

I have also come to dislike many of the restrictions placed on races and classes (level limits, weapon restrictions etc) so house rules that opened those things up as much as possible would probably something I would appreciate.

I would like to second Jeff's point about the style of writing and the usefulness of many of the source books and setting books. Those are things I keep consulting even when I play other editions.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Teazia
Gnoll

Post by Teazia »

I am also a 2e enthusiast; however, I am more prone to use Myth & Magic these days as the GUI as it is easier for my new age players (and frankly me) to grok.

Fireball
Goblin

Post by Fireball »

AuldDragon wrote:For me, the flexibility of the edition is key; Once you know the basic rules, it's very easy to make rulings for any situations that come up, and very easy for players to be imaginative and inventive in their roleplaying. In addition, the inherent bounds placed on the system (fixed ability score limits, AC limits, and THAC0 limits) make it easy to estimate power levels and limit power growth. Lastly, I think the detailed style of writing is unsurpassed in any other edition of the game.

Jeff
It's great, isn't it? There seem to be more and more people playing it these days, too! Thanks for the great post!

Fireball
Goblin

Post by Fireball »

Teazia wrote:I am also a 2e enthusiast; however, I am more prone to use Myth & Magic these days as the GUI as it is easier for my new age players (and frankly me) to grok.
I've never heard of this game. Is it a D&D clone? What is a GUI?

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”