How about these house rules?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

How about these house rules?

Post by Havard »

As I mentioned in another thread, we used to play AD&D with all the additional sourcebooks and tons of house rules on top of that. These days I prefer a bit more of a minimalist approach to rules. How do you think these house rules would work?
  • No level limits. No XP penalties for extending beyond level limits
  • Humans gain +1 to all ability scores
  • All races may multiclass in any combination (max 3).
  • Minion rules fro 4E: Monsters categorized as "minions" have 1 HP each.
  • Weapons do not increase damage towards large creatures.
-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: How about these house rules?

Post by RobJN »

Havard wrote:As I mentioned in another thread, we used to play AD&D with all the additional sourcebooks and tons of house rules on top of that. These days I prefer a bit more of a minimalist approach to rules. How do you think these house rules would work?
-Havard
At the risk of copping out, I'd say if it makes the game fun for your players, go for it. :D But +1 to all abilities for humans? I think that's a bit excessive -- I'd let them either add 2 to a single ability, or one additional point to two ability scores.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Havard wrote:As I mentioned in another thread, we used to play AD&D with all the additional sourcebooks and tons of house rules on top of that. These days I prefer a bit more of a minimalist approach to rules. How do you think these house rules would work?
-Havard
You can do whatever you want in your campaign, but since you're asking, I'll share my thoughts.

--If you never get high level, then level limits are immaterial anyway, so I don't think that would be very unbalancing.
--Giving humans a +1 to every stat is *huge.* I don't even think giving humans a +1 to one stat of their choice is balanced. In my experience, it's rare that parties aren't at least half human, so I don't think there really needs to be much incentive to play them. If you want to balance out the elimination of level limits, you could give humans 5% or 10% more experience (for basic, single classes, like fighters, mages, clerics, and thieve, but not paladins or ) to represent their greater flexibility.
--Multiclassing and class restrictions are one of the balancing factors for non-humans, so I'm not really a fan of changing them much. Generally only in specific circumstances. Multiclassing is a big advantage for non-humans, with the tradeoff that it is limited in which classes you can use.
--I'm not familiar with the Minion rules of 4e, but there are tons of low-hit point creatures that can be used, so I don't really see the point in 2nd Edition.
--Not all weapons do increased damage against large creatures. Some do the same, others do less. You'll notice the weapons that do increased damage against large creatures are generally the weapons most likely to be chosen by warriors, such as long swords, two handed swords, halberds, etc. This is an advantage granted to warriors. The weapons clerics use mostly do less damage, while rogues and wizards have a bit of a mix. Eliminate that and you're essentially changing a class ability.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

-Havard
not really my cup of tea. If I want minimalist I play B/X or the like. Some thoughts/questions:

*I'd prefer an XP penalty for non humans
*do humans have 19's or is it +1 but with a cap of 18? in any case, not really what I'd favor.
*interesting, the multiclass, although if one is trying to keep it simple, I'd more likely cut it to 2 classes max for everyone, or else leave only elves & half elves to the triple class (with the 3rd being mage)
*you need to add more 4e minion rules, namely that they don't ever die on a save (save vs fireball=life, for example), but otherwise, sure!
*good idea! you might want to tweak the chart, though, and in some cases take the large rating for everyone! mostly for "pole arms"/2 handed weapons. This different damage was always stupid, it ONLY ever ought have applied to spears & polearms with a spear type capability (for using foe's own mass against the target via a brace). It never should have applied to swords, etc.
My suggestions:
footman's flail 2d4
glaive d10
etc
or just give them a b/x flat d10 {or d12}

But, in general, it should work ok. The biggest issues I could see will be of multi class domination; unless you play high levels to start, and this depends somewhat on some bad rulings in 2e overall: Will multi class mages be armor limited? will MC clerics be type B weapon limited? Will MC fighters be unable to specialize? These will all curtail standard MC characters quite a bit, although you WILL see, for those with good stats, characters with unusual/subclasses dominate instead (if the above is held true). druid/bard or druid/enchanter, cleric/necromancer, ranger/thief, paladin/cleric, etc, rather than some traditional combos (mage/thief or mage/cleric probably the only standards that will hold up, and I'd still expect transmuter/thieves or illusionist/thieves over mage/thieves, and probably abjurer/clerics & cleric/necromancers too). Some of those look like lots of fun! It's is not a "minimalist" sort of approach at all, however!

You will probably have to figure out how to handle (ie MAKE new rules) to cover things like bard/enchanter (or bard/mage).

Culling non humans period with your above system could be much more of a simplification; you could drop the humans get +1 part at least. I'd certainly strong consider dumping triple class regardless, though. While it sucks for HP, it makes characters all too much the same jack of all trade types.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”