Exceptional Strength

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Exceptional Strength

Post by Havard »

I was never quite comfortable with this rule. It seems a bit clunky that it is an ability only available to Fighters and if you do decide to play a fighter, one die roll at character creation will have such a great impact on how efficient your character is at his main role (combat) throughout the game.

One idea I had was that Fighters all start with 18.01 at character creation and then gain a +10% for each level, ending at 18.00 at 10th level.

What do you think of this rule? Have you considered adding % numbers to other abilities for other classes?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Exceptional Strength

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:One idea I had was that Fighters all start with 18.01 at character creation and then gain a +10% for each level, ending at 18.00 at 10th level.

What do you think of this rule? Have you considered adding % numbers to other abilities for other classes?

:P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar »

Seems like a cool house rule.

A lot of 1E rules are clunky. That's part of 1st Edition's charm Image
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Havard wrote:I was never quite comfortable with this rule. It seems a bit clunky that it is an ability only available to Fighters and if you do decide to play a fighter, one die roll at character creation will have such a great impact on how efficient your character is at his main role (combat) throughout the game.

One idea I had was that Fighters all start with 18.01 at character creation and then gain a +10% for each level, ending at 18.00 at 10th level.

-Havard
Commented on Facebook, but I'll mention it here as well. Exceptional Strength is essentially a class ability of Warriors, as is the higher hit point adjustment for high Constitution. However, it IS luck-based; but so are a lot of other abilities for other classes. Wizards can fail to learn extremely good spells (imagine being a mage and failing the roll to learn Sleep, Magic Missile, or Fireball; it's kind of like a fighter not getting high Strength), thieves can have poor Dexterity or find themselves in a situation where they might wish they'd have put their points into one of their other skills, etc. But Warriors also get other abilities to compensate as well if they don't get a good roll (chances are they'll have a decent score in at least one of the three stats most useful to warriors: Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution). Each class gets extra bonuses for high scores that other classes don't, except for Strength; any character with an 18 or 17 has the same benefits. Exceptional Strength represents the extra time warriors can take in physical training and conditioning that the other classes just can't spend. However, a warrior doesn't *need* to have high Strength to be successful or good, just as wizards, rogues, and priests don't need high scores in their prime requisites to be successful or good, so I don't see any reason to grant players a high score by default, and have it increase over time.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

Havard wrote:I was never quite comfortable with this rule. It seems a bit clunky that it is an ability only available to Fighters and if you do decide to play a fighter, one die roll at character creation will have such a great impact on how efficient your character is at his main role (combat) throughout the game.

-Havard
I'm afraid I do no like it.

I have used % for other classes (see 1.5e/UA & hackmaster), but not much & really only for the purposes of increasing stats over time/levels (ex dex 17/60 is the same as 17), although it kinda always was in AD&D via wishes for high ability scores;10 per point above 15 is pretty much 10% per.

I have, however, especially for 2e where there is no age bonus to STR, gone with rolling % for ALL warriors. For those under 18, each category turns into an actual point. Any % left over after 18 is reached is then prorated/converted to the appropriate % category.

This helps all warriors, and not only those freaks with an 18. It also allows for a 18 (no %) score.

Examples
elf ranger STR 13 rolls 99%; that's 4 categories for a STR 17
dwarf fighter STR 16 rolls 85%; that is 3 categories, so 18%. They fall into the first % group (01-50), 10/15, so 18/33% total
human paladin STR 15 rolls 61%, that's 2 categories, so STR is actually 17

The other part, non warriors with 18% STR comes from me house ruling races with a bonus to STR do NOT jump over 18% to 19. They land in various categories instead.

EX Aasimar gets +1 STR, a cleric or other non warrior with an 18 roll in STR gets 18/01-50, not 19. Roll % and cut in 2 in this case (round up).
A minotaur gets +2 STR, and 18 roll would be 18/51-18/76 (roll %/4, round off/up)

warriors of such races will get the standard str increase(above), and starting off higher, they can end up with 19+ with very good rolls.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”