A question about health potions

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Songsayer
Goblin

A question about health potions

Post by Songsayer »

New DM and players here (druid, cleric, thief), playing a 2E campaign in the setting of Mystara. My players have actively seeking apothecaries to purchase 'health potions' from. Last campaign, I was unprepared for this request, and searched my 2E materials for any canon information on health potions, but could not find any. I simply told them they were able to purchase a health potion, potion of speed, and potion of strength from an apothecary for 150gp. I have no idea about the availability of these kinds of potions in 2E AD&D, their cost, or how much they would heal/buff you. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some 2E product that can elaborate. Thank you.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: A question about health potions

Post by BlackBat242 »

I believe that their "health potions" are Healing Potions (it could also be the Elixir of Health), found in the "magic items" section of the Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG) - along with the Potion of Speed (there is no Potion of Strength in the DMG*). This section also explains their effects.

In the 1989 printing (orange covers) the potion section starts on page 141.
In the 1995 printing (black covers) the potion section starts on page 191.

While 2E AD&D has no price lists for magic items, the 1E AD&D DMG has the following prices:
Healing: 400 GP
Extra Healing: 800 GP
Speed: 450 GP

The Unearthed Arcana has the Elixir of Health priced at 2,000 GP

* The Potion of Strength is found in the D&D rules - both the Mentzer B/E/C/M/I rule sets and the Rules Cyclopedia compilation (these are not editions of AD&D) - and in the Encyclopedia Magica (volume III, page 891), with a price of 800 GP.

The Strength potion has the following effect: The drinker's strength is increased to 18 for 1d4+4 turns (10 combat rounds = 1 turn).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: A question about health potions

Post by BlackBat242 »

Here are the descriptions of the potions from the 2E AD&D DMG (1995):
Elixir of Health: This potion cures blindness, deafness, disease, feeblemindedness, insanity, infection, infestation, poisoning, and rot. It will not heal wounds or restore hit points lost through any of the above causes. Imbibing the whole potion will cure all of the above afflictions suffered by the imbiber. Half a flask will cure any one or two of the listed ills (DM's choice).
Healing: An entire potion must be consumed in a single round. If this is done, the potion restores 2d4 + 2 hit points of damage (see extra-healing below).
Extra-Healing: This potion restores 3d8 + 3 hit points of damage when wholly consumed, or 1d8 hit points of damage for each one-third that is drunk.
Speed: A potion of speed increases the movement and combat capabilities of the imbiber by 100%. Thus, a movement rate of 9 becomes 18, and a character normally able to attack once per round attacks twice. This does not reduce spellcasting time, however. Use of a speed potion ages the individual by one year. The aging is permanent, but the other effects last for 5d4 rounds.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”