Favourite "Useless" Equipment?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Favourite "Useless" Equipment?

Post by Havard »

One of the things I really love about AD&D 2nd Edition is the Equipment List from the PHB. Let's talk about the equipment that is not weapons, armor or shields. What is your favorite piece of equipment? Are there any items that you never used?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Re: Favourite "Useless" Equipment?

Post by True_Atlantean »

Chalk. Ever single character I ever created carried chalk.
Simply because it comes in handy in the most unlikely of places. However, as a DM, I have been accused of nastiness once when the players were marking the halls of a dungeon with chalk, only to return later to find it gone (and them becoming increasingly lost). The cause: a gelatinous cube that was sweeping the halls and absorbed it from the walls. Once they discovered the cause, that gelatinous cube was the focus of some serious carnage.

Also, you might like to check out the article in Dragon #228 '101 uses for a wet blanket' - you'll never look at manchester the same way again. :)
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

True_Atlantean wrote:Chalk. Ever single character I ever created carried chalk.
Simply because it comes in handy in the most unlikely of places. However, as a DM, I have been accused of nastiness once when the players were marking the halls of a dungeon with chalk, only to return later to find it gone (and them becoming increasingly lost). The cause: a gelatinous cube that was sweeping the halls and absorbed it from the walls. Once they discovered the cause, that gelatinous cube was the focus of some serious carnage.
Was the gelatinous cube actually stalking the PCs...and maybe following the chalk, or just randomly moving around?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

In the 2nd edition campaign I ran in college, the most experienced player easily spent half her bard's starting money on a long list of stuff from the general equipment list, just in case she needed it. It may have even been enough to encumber her, but being prepared was more important to her than speed. Sadly, I can't recall now (almost 30 years later) how much of it actually got used.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

Big Mac wrote:
True_Atlantean wrote:Chalk. Ever single character I ever created carried chalk.
Was the gelatinous cube actually stalking the PCs...and maybe following the chalk, or just randomly moving around?
I did explain it out of game that the chalk was a very different texture and taste and so even to the limited intelligence of the Cube, it was tasty and worth following. I like to include little bits like this in games, such as the time the party discovered that Jermlaine were following them to eat the leftovers at their campsite when the PCs moved on.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye »

Canned Food - I simply cannot recall a time when I ever opened one, but carry it, yes my characters always have a ready store of canned food in their backpacks.

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Post by Jayce »

Not from the PHB, but when I think "useless equipment" I immediately think of the 2nd Edition computer game Baldur's Gate, which had at least two of my favorite useless items ever seen in a roleplaying game.

The golden pantaloons, and Boo, the giant miniature space hamster. :lol:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Jayce wrote:Boo, the giant miniature space hamster. :lol:
Is that the same as a miniature Giant Space Hamster?

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Post by Angelika Tatsu »

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:Canned Food - I simply cannot recall a time when I ever opened one, but carry it, yes my characters always have a ready store of canned food in their backpacks.
Iron Rations are always a good idea. :P
Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful.
- Zoe Kravitz

Alzrius
Bugbear

Post by Alzrius »

I always wanted to buy the stuff for a fully-stocked wizard's lab from Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. The various listings in that chapter all had a notation of how many of each were needed for a full-stocked lab, even though most of them had no game effect, and so I really wanted to buy them just so I could say my character had one. Sadly, I never got the chance.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”