WotC licences 2E AD&D to Fantasy Grounds

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

WotC licences 2E AD&D to Fantasy Grounds

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 am

This just went up on the Fantasy Grounds Forums, yesterday: AD&D 2E Officially Licensed Ruleset and Content:
celestian at the Fantasy Grounds Forums wrote:Today marks the day that AD&D 2E is officially released for use in FantasyGrounds.

The ruleset is a standard built-in ruleset and is available to all levels of FG - including those without a license (free/demo). Just make sure you are updated and it will show up as "2E".

The first 4 releases on the store are: I will create a thread for each product and the ruleset for feedback and details.
You can join the discussions on the Fantasy Grounds discord server in the #advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-2e channel.

Thanks to those that helped make this possible :) . damned particularly was a voice of great motivation. Doug always responding politely to my requests for updates and John being a great help with code issues that would stymie me.

I'm mostly happy to see this out there so folks won't have to go through all the work I did to get it here.
Thanks to AuldDragon for the tip off.

Is there anyone out there who might use this?
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: WotC licences 2E AD&D to Fantasy Grounds

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am

Well I'll be.... I never thought I'd see the day. I wonder if this will open the door for other non-OGL editions.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Isn't N1 an AD&D 1e adventure, not 2e? Or is it a license for basically AD&D? ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

lookatroopa
Orc

Post by lookatroopa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Don't really use Fantasy Grounds myself, but I'm interested to see the high quality art scans coming out of this.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:39 am

night_druid wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm
Isn't N1 an AD&D 1e adventure, not 2e? Or is it a license for basically AD&D? ;)
The link specifies it is an AD&D 2e conversion of the original N1 adventure.
GP

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Post by Illuminatus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Of course they did. Because I have just spent 50+ hours learning the ins and outs of Roll20. It was inevitable.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm

The main thing I want to know is...

...are they going to release TSR campaign settings on Fantasy Grounds?

And - if so - which one will be release first?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Isn't N1 set in Greyhawk?

GP

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 pm
It is; the town of Orlane is not far from the Rushmoors and Dim Forest. The connection, however, is not particularly strong and can easily be made to a generic location.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:

I have to imagine campaign settings would be a separate license, but you never know. Hackmaster got away with it, but had to heavily modify the settings into "Hackified" versions. Which, in a way, proved more trouble than it was worth (Greyhack never saw print despite many, many revisions and attempts).

If I were to guess, Greyhawk. Safest and having been OOP for about the longest, and lacks the craziness and "gimmicky" nature of later settings. Some settings, such as Planescape or Dark Sun, might be a bit hard to pull off without certain authors and artists on-board. Doable, no doubt, but maybe a bit more than they want to tackle out of the gate. Greyhawk is generic enough that most adventures could find a home there with little conversion work.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:50 am

I've been using this version for well over a year now (it's been available as Community Ruleset since 2017). Glad to see it has been made "official".
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:37 am

night_druid wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 pm
agathokles wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 pm
It is; the town of Orlane is not far from the Rushmoors and Dim Forest. The connection, however, is not particularly strong and can easily be made to a generic location.
Some of that stuff, from before the 2nd Edition Era has been retconned into a setting...or in some cases retconned into more than one campaign setting.

I like to see big and bold campaign setting icons on D&D products.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:02 pm

night_druid wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm
Big Mac wrote:

I have to imagine campaign settings would be a separate license, but you never know. Hackmaster got away with it, but had to heavily modify the settings into "Hackified" versions. Which, in a way, proved more trouble than it was worth (Greyhack never saw print despite many, many revisions and attempts).
Hackmaster was making new content. Fantasy Grounds just seem to be chopping up old D&D books and presenting the existing content in a new format.

So I think this is more like the D&D Classics range on the DMs Guild website.
night_druid wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 pm
If I were to guess, Greyhawk. Safest and having been OOP for about the longest, and lacks the craziness and "gimmicky" nature of later settings. Some settings, such as Planescape or Dark Sun, might be a bit hard to pull off without certain authors and artists on-board. Doable, no doubt, but maybe a bit more than they want to tackle out of the gate. Greyhawk is generic enough that most adventures could find a home there with little conversion work.
I don't think they have any of the TSR designers or artists on board - just people working on getting the 2e maths to work.

Here is something they published on their Facebook page:
Fantasy Grounds on Facebook wrote:SmiteWorks is happy to announce that we have expanded our license with Wizards of the Coast to allow us to produce conversions of Dungeons & Dragons Classic material for play on the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. (Links Below)

We are releasing 4 Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2E) products today for Fantasy Grounds, starting with the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master Guide. Additional products are in the works. We are excited to see how fans of the older material react to having those mixed with virtual tabletop software!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:50 am
I've been using this version for well over a year now (it's been available as Community Ruleset since 2017). Glad to see it has been made "official".
Fantasy Grounds got asked about that on Facebook. Here is their reply:
Fantasy Grounds on Facebook wrote:
Joe wrote:It's been awhile since I've looked--does this mean there's an official AD&D ruleset? Or is it using the community-developed one I'd seen last I looked (a year ago)?
We worked with that community dev to make it into an officially supported ruleset. The ruleset itself is included with Standard and Ultimate licenses of FG for no additional cost -- but with no data.

There are modules available for sale that add the data.
So it looks like you don't "need" to buy the books to play 2e. That's a bit like having a 2e SRD built into Fantasy Grounds (only without it being licenced under the Open Game Licence).

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm
So it looks like you don't "need" to buy the books to play 2e. That's a bit like having a 2e SRD built into Fantasy Grounds (only without it being licenced under the Open Game Licence).
Yeah, he did provide some content prior to this being picked up by Fantasy Grounds, but most of what I needed in my games, I had to add myself (e.g. spells, monsters, magical items, etc.).

It's nice to see that the three core books are available now. This should makes things a little easier (I hope). ;)
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I don't really know what this means, but I'm glad to see that they're loosening their corporate grip for any reason.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 am

Pretty freaking cool!! This may give me more incentive to run an AD&D 2E Ravenloft game.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”