Ever tried Myth & Magic?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

zontoxira
Planewalker

Ever tried Myth & Magic?

Post by zontoxira » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 am

All I have so far managed to dig up is its botched KS campaigns, the scarce comments and reviews praising the product.

For those not in the know, Myth & Magic (aka Realms of Eternal Epic or Ro2E) was supposedly a remake of D&D 2e, one that strove to preserve the feel and all the good parts, while modifying all the bad ones. It had some catastrophic (for both backers and the designer) KS campaigns somewhere in 2010 and 2012, and is now being considered a dead product, even though one can buy the pdf at certain websites.

Has anyone got to play it? How similar it is to 2e, in terms of mechanics and aesthetics?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Re: Ever tried Myth & Magic?

Post by Digitalelf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:06 am

The Game Master's Starter Guide can be found on PDF for free HERE: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/10 ... rter-Guide

The Player's Starter Guide can be found on PDF for free HERE: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/10 ... rter-Guide

The full Player's Guide can be found on PDF for $12.99 (on sale) HERE: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/10 ... yers-Guide
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am

This is the first I have heard of it, I'll have to give it a glance.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 am
All I have so far managed to dig up is its botched KS campaigns, the scarce comments and reviews praising the product.

For those not in the know, Myth & Magic (aka Realms of Eternal Epic or Ro2E) was supposedly a remake of D&D 2e, one that strove to preserve the feel and all the good parts, while modifying all the bad ones. It had some catastrophic (for both backers and the designer) KS campaigns somewhere in 2010 and 2012, and is now being considered a dead product, even though one can buy the pdf at certain websites.
I wonder if New Haven Games are using the money generated by sales to fund completion of the Kickstarter obligations.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am
I'll have to give it a glance.
I haven't played it, but I've read over the rules... This reads more like a clone of Castles & Crusades or some other 3rd edition/d20 game than it does 2nd edition AD&D.

Multi-classing works just like it does in 3e.
Saving throws work just like they do in 3e.

The list of 3e/d20 comparisons goes on and on.

Oh, but they call skills proficiencies! WOO HOO! :roll:

I just don't get the feel of 2nd edition from this at all. Heck, I got more of a 1e/2e vibe out of Castles & Crusades than I do from this.

If one absolutely MUST get a clone of 2e over just simply getting the real thing, I recommend "For Gold & Glory".

YMMV and all of that. :|

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 am
If one absolutely MUST get a clone of 2e over just simply getting the real thing, I recommend "For Gold & Glory".
I've been eyeing that up for a couple of years. I still have the 2E Core though, so not sure how badly I need/want to get FG&G.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:15 am
I haven't played it, but I've read over the rules... This reads more like a clone of Castles & Crusades or some other 3rd edition/d20 game than it does 2nd edition AD&D.

Multi-classing works just like it does in 3e.
Saving throws work just like they do in 3e.

The list of 3e/d20 comparisons goes on and on.

Oh, but they call skills proficiencies! WOO HOO! :roll:

I just don't get the feel of 2nd edition from this at all. Heck, I got more of a 1e/2e vibe out of Castles & Crusades than I do from this.

YMMV and all of that. :|
I recently had a look at the free rules and my initial impression was that of disappointment. Indeed, M&M looks more like a d20 game with a bunch of 2e sprinkled over the place, instead of the other way around. I clearly don't understand how so many reviews and comments (figure of speech, that is) speak highly of it, as if it's the epitome of AD&D2e. I mean, it's not bad, some may be even enjoying it, but it's far from an improved 2e it claims so.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 am

zontoxira wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm
it's not bad, some may be even enjoying it, but it's far from an improved 2e it claims so.
And that's what I find so funny... The devs claim to have such a deep and abiding love 2nd edition, but appear to go out of their way to make this game into another variation of 3rd edition.

For those who haven't read it before, here's their quote concerning the game (emphasis mine):
New Haven Games wrote:We here at NHG started our gaming careers in the 1989 rules. We have tremendous love for that edition and that love is evident in the quality of the Myth & Magic experience. For anyone who has played 2E and enjoyed the countless avenues a good story and some good friends can take in a campaign, you will love Myth & Magic. For anyone who missed the 2E experience, Myth & Magic is a must-play. The 2E experience is unique and Myth & Magic does a great job of preserving that experience while providing a fresh set of rules.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”