Monstrous Compendium happiness

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Monstrous Compendium happiness

Post by night_druid »

Awesome...over the weekend, I managed to snag a complete collection of the 2e Monstrous Compendiums. I already had about a third of them, but I got an entire set in one bid at auction. Since the weather was crappy yesterday, I went ahead and organized them the way I like. That is, I put everything in page protectors. For the ones I have duplicates, I put them 10-pages to 1 protector. But what's nice is that there are numerous critters that either I have heard of but never had the stats on, or these critters were never published again.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Monstrous Compendium happiness

Post by rabindranath72 »

nice grab! Did you get only the loose sheets version? IIRC I have the 1st, 2nd, FR, GH, DL, FF, Outer planes and all of the Ravenloft ones.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

rabindranath72 wrote:nice grab! Did you get only the loose sheets version? IIRC I have the 1st, 2nd, FR, GH, DL, FF, Outer planes and all of the Ravenloft ones.
This particular piece was MC 1-14. It included

MC 1-2 (Generic monsters)
Forgotten Realms 1-2
Spelljammer 1-2
kara-tur
Al-Qadim
Greyhawk
Outer Planes
Ravenloft
Dark Sun
Fiend Folio
Dragonlance
Some loose Horde sheets
And something from Mayfair games in the same format, detailing some demons (no idea on the product name).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Congrats Adam! :)

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

There was some Mystara stuff, but I was outbid. Not a big deal; there'll always be another auction, and that sort of stuff always shows up. Its how I've gotten my Darksun collection, and filled out my FR collection. Really, all that's left that I'm interested in is the Priest Spell Compendium, PS sourcebooks/boxed sets, a handful of FR books/boxes, and Mystara. After that, my collection will be fairly complete.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

Congrats! Nice haul!
night_druid wrote:There was some Mystara stuff, but I was outbid.
I've attained the vast majority of my Mystara collection from ebay. My only complaint is "Why does the Mystara stuff sell for such relatively high prices?!" Many items took several auctions before winning, and even then they were not necessarily cheap.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Hugin wrote:Congrats! Nice haul!
I've attained the vast majority of my Mystara collection from ebay. My only complaint is "Why does the Mystara stuff sell for such relatively high prices?!" Many items took several auctions before winning, and even then they were not necessarily cheap.
Ah, that probably explains why my low sealed bids didn't win ;) Probably need to go more than $2-3 a book (which is fairly typical for these auctions).

ravensmuse
Ogre

Post by ravensmuse »

I'd imagine that the deal with the high prices is that it was relatively unknown outside of the people playing it at the time (I had only the barest realization that it existed when I started off, and that was because I lucked into the 2e Glantri boxed set at a Toys R Us) and a lot of collectors looking to fill out collections now.

I mention Mystara in some places and I just get blank stares, for instance.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

ravensmuse wrote:I'd imagine that the deal with the high prices is that it was relatively unknown outside of the people playing it at the time (I had only the barest realization that it existed when I started off, and that was because I lucked into the 2e Glantri boxed set at a Toys R Us) and a lot of collectors looking to fill out collections now.
I was aware of it at that particular time; I just didn't have the money or interest to follow the setting :p The lack of an obvious "entry point" didn't help, either.
Probably get blank stares if you mention most TSR settings these days; many have been OOP for decades.

ravensmuse
Ogre

Post by ravensmuse »

night_druid wrote:
ravensmuse wrote:I'd imagine that the deal with the high prices is that it was relatively unknown outside of the people playing it at the time (I had only the barest realization that it existed when I started off, and that was because I lucked into the 2e Glantri boxed set at a Toys R Us) and a lot of collectors looking to fill out collections now.
I was aware of it at that particular time; I just didn't have the money or interest to follow the setting :p The lack of an obvious "entry point" didn't help, either.
You're completely right that there wasn't an entry point into Mystara and I totally wish that there was. I still don't have one to reccomend to people interested in the product. Hell, I'd like to find one, so I can finally read about this thing instead of getting oblique references here and there!

I know that there's the Vaults, but I'm always forgetful. I do point people interested in that direction though.

I was aware of a lot of them too (the inside covers of the 2e corebooks), but I was in the situation where the only game store for me was a chain bookstore in the mall, so I made do with whatever it was they got in stock. My collection up until a couple of years ago was extremely piecemeal; for instance, I only have three adventures and the Book of Psionic Artifacts for Dark Sun and my Sj collection consists of the core box, War Captain's, and Legend of the Spelljammer still.
Probably get blank stares if you mention most TSR settings these days; many have been OOP for decades.
[/quote]
Actually, you'd be surprised. On the other forum I primarily hang out on which has a lot of 4e interest and newbies to the hobby as a whole, everyone talks about everything up to Mystara and Birthright and Spelljammer - all gamelines that even at the time were kind of obscure.

But everyone knows about Planescape and Ravenloft and Dark Sun and Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. Planescape, Ravenloft and Dark Sun were way popular back in the day and still have a lot of fans, and FR and DL have the novel lines to keep exposure high. Greyhawk was the core setting in the 3e days, so people at least grew to know the names and a few other details.

Spelljammer ended before the big boom in campaign settings and was barely mentioned in any other materials (outright; I remember mentions of spelljamming in the corebook for PS and Sigil: Faces of the Cage but it was in an oblique manner).

Birthright just seemed small at the time and wasn't as high profile. But that may have just been my region.

Jakandor, Dragon Mountain...heck, Maztica draws stares too, and even from the people familiar with FR 3e!

Just to give some perspective from newbies entering the market, mind you.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:Awesome...over the weekend, I managed to snag a complete collection of the 2e Monstrous Compendiums. I already had about a third of them, but I got an entire set in one bid at auction.
Congratulations. I can't think of many people who would be a better "keeper" of these materials than you. You have turned out so much SJ fanon that I'm sure you will make excellent use of this stuff. I'm into 3e, but still need to build up a "grognoid library" that I can dip into to pull out the top quality 2e concepts that 3e didn't deliver. There is so much out there that I really don't know where to start, but a full set of MCs is a must item on my wishlist.
night_druid wrote:Since the weather was crappy yesterday, I went ahead and organized them the way I like. That is, I put everything in page protectors. For the ones I have duplicates, I put them 10-pages to 1 protector.
You know CCG fans get deck protectors and that sort of thing. With 2e (and earlier stuff) being irreplacable, we really should be sharing tips like this (which can help slow down the loss of 2e material to accidents).
night_druid wrote:But what's nice is that there are numerous critters that either I have heard of but never had the stats on, or these critters were never published again.
This is something that every edition of D&D has (from 0e to 4e). And I really wish that all of the rare gems could be converted/retro-converted to every edition of the game. Have you checked Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index to find out what percentage of monsters you now own?
Hugin wrote:
It is the fans causing this sort of problem. The more "fanatical" people are about campaign settings (or OOP versions of D&D) the more willing they are to pay well over the odds for things. Anoher thing that has this problem is the 3e Dragonlance book called Towers of High Sorcery. Sovereign Stone made this in too small a quantity and MWP switched to a new printer that could not do a reprint. I got an imported "returned" copy direct from MWP before WotC's licencing laws made it illegal for them to sell these "seconds". Now I see ToHS selling for really stuipid prices on the second-hand market. :roll:

If only WotC were licencing reprints of ESD material, I would be happy to by a PoD set of all the bits of 2nd edition, 1st edition and classic D&D that I don't have. I don't really care about things being collectable and my SJ collection is only of intellectual value to me, as I've got no intention to sell it on.
night_druid wrote:
ravensmuse wrote:I mention Mystara in some places and I just get blank stares, for instance.
<must - resist - urge - to - repeat - call - for - a - fan - encyclopedia - of - Mystara - canon :twisted: >

Blank stares are far better than: "Spelljammer? Oh, that is the science fiction D&D game, isn't it?" If I had a penny for everytime I had to tell people that it was fantasy and not science fiction, I would have at least £4.67. :lol:
ravensmuse wrote:Actually, you'd be surprised. On the other forum I primarily hang out on which has a lot of 4e interest and newbies to the hobby as a whole, everyone talks about everything up to Mystara and Birthright and Spelljammer - all gamelines that even at the time were kind of obscure.
Don't forget that WotC's 4e policy is "one setting per year" so there is going to be more speculation about OOP stuff than during 3e (when people could ignore it if they chose to). This is sort of the attitude that 3e should have taken with the OOP stuff (instead of that "too many settings killed TSR" mantra).
ravensmuse wrote:But everyone knows about Planescape and Ravenloft and Dark Sun and Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. Planescape, Ravenloft and Dark Sun were way popular back in the day and still have a lot of fans, and FR and DL have the novel lines to keep exposure high. Greyhawk was the core setting in the 3e days, so people at least grew to know the names and a few other details.
Greyhawk had a novel line. Spelljammer had a set of novels too. The SJ novels are actually one of my favorite parts of the setting as they fill in details that just are not explained elsewhere. (I got nearly a third of the information for the wiki article for The Wanderers from the novels and there are some things in the novels that are not mentioned in any gamebooks.)
ravensmuse wrote:Spelljammer ended before the big boom in campaign settings and was barely mentioned in any other materials (outright; I remember mentions of spelljamming in the corebook for PS and Sigil: Faces of the Cage but it was in an oblique manner).
There are mentions in 3e material too. FRCS does a fairly good (but tiny) overview of The Sea of Night. TSR's AOL downloads also had some SJ references. I've got to track down a ton of (badly maintained) web-pages with dead-links to WotC pages that I can feed into the Wayback Machine to recover some of this stuff. As far as I know, nobody has a full list of it yet. (And this is just for SJ - I'm sure the same applies to most, if not all, other settings.)
ravensmuse wrote:Birthright just seemed small at the time and wasn't as high profile. But that may have just been my region.
I had given up on D&D by then. I think that TSR had started to give up too. Birthright deserved to have been as massive a marketing thing as Dark Sun was.
ravensmuse wrote:Jakandor, Dragon Mountain...heck, Maztica draws stares too, and even from the people familiar with FR 3e!
Dragon Mountain?

Dragon Mountain??

Dragon Mountain!

OK, I'm off to start a "What is Dragon Mountain?" thread when I've posted this.

EDIT: See here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2571

If you think that Maztica is obscure then try on Malatra for size! :lol: Even The Piazza doesn't have a subforum for this FR subsetting yet. (It is a Thunder Rift sized setting hidden next to Kara-Tur and used for the Living Jungle campaign. One of the local powergroups is a bunch of crashed scro* from SJ.)

* = They are renamed oscray in Living Jungle, but have the same artwork and the same backstory.
ravensmuse wrote:Just to give some perspective from newbies entering the market, mind you.
All points of view are interesting. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:Congratulations. I can't think of many people who would be a better "keeper" of these materials than you. You have turned out so much SJ fanon that I'm sure you will make excellent use of this stuff. I'm into 3e, but still need to build up a "grognoid library" that I can dip into to pull out the top quality 2e concepts that 3e didn't deliver. There is so much out there that I really don't know where to start, but a full set of MCs is a must item on my wishlist.
I'm starting to get close to having everything I really want. I'm just missing a couple of FR books, a bunch of PS books & boxes, and the priest spell compendiums. After that, I'll have the full collection I want :D
You know CCG fans get deck protectors and that sort of thing. With 2e (and earlier stuff) being irreplacable, we really should be sharing tips like this (which can help slow down the loss of 2e material to accidents).
Its expensive, though. I do buy page protectors in bulk because of it ;)
This is something that every edition of D&D has (from 0e to 4e). And I really wish that all of the rare gems could be converted/retro-converted to every edition of the game. Have you checked Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index to find out what percentage of monsters you now own?
Trouble with D&D is that just as often, authors just want to create new monsters rather than convert all the old ones. And with several thousand monsters, its downright impossible to convert them all in a reasonable fashion (Hacklopedias STILL left off probably half the monsters from 2e days; they didn't even touch most of the setting-specific critters, and many panned the Hacklopedias for being too long). To do all of the AD&D (1e & 2e) monsters justice, you'd need something like Encylopedia Monsterca, only about 6 volumes or so, tiny print, each 200+ pages. That MIGHT cover all of AD&D monsters.

It is the fans causing this sort of problem. The more "fanatical" people are about campaign settings (or OOP versions of D&D) the more willing they are to pay well over the odds for things. Anoher thing that has this problem is the 3e Dragonlance book called Towers of High Sorcery. Sovereign Stone made this in too small a quantity and MWP switched to a new printer that could not do a reprint. I got an imported "returned" copy direct from MWP before WotC's licencing laws made it illegal for them to sell these "seconds". Now I see ToHS selling for really stuipid prices on the second-hand market. :roll:
Code of the Harpers sells for insane prices, too. Limited print run and the originals were destroyed, so supply is stupid-limited and demand is stupid-high ;)
Greyhawk had a novel line.
I wouldn't say that too loud. GH novels are...contraversal. ;)

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch »

Looking at Code of Harpers right now for 29.22 at Amazon. Sorry to skip a little off topic but as a amateur collector of AD&D 2nd edition I was surprised when I bought my Spelljammer Monstrous Compendiums and they were shipped as just pages to add to a binder. Instead of a monstrous manual did TSR originally do this for all of their monstrous books?

Also congratulations on the find.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

BoddynockStotch wrote:Looking at Code of Harpers right now for 29.22 at Amazon.
I've seen copies go for close to a hundred at auction. :lol:
Sorry to skip a little off topic but as a amateur collector of AD&D 2nd edition I was surprised when I bought my Spelljammer Monstrous Compendiums and they were shipped as just pages to add to a binder. Instead of a monstrous manual did TSR originally do this for all of their monstrous books?
BIt o' history: During the first half of 2nd edition, TSR published the Monstrous Compendiums. The first one was a 3-ring binder, as was the fourth (Dragonlance). The rest where packets of loose-leaf sheets to be added to the binders, which could hold about two or three more packets each. The idea was that it sucked for DMs to carry around so many books, so by doing it as loose-leaf sheets, a DM could just grab the monsters he needed for the game and not have to carry around 4-5 monster books. It also allowed them to add sheets to boxed sets (usually a dozen or so) instead of printing them at the end of a book.

Great idea, in theory. In practice, the holes in the MC sheets did not hold up, and pages were easily damaged. It works if you use page protectors, but that's an additional expense (and wasn't available cheaply at the time the MCs were published). I personally love them, for the portability factor and the fact that the monster entries were more than a couple of paragraphs, but most people hated them. Eventually the idea was ditched in favor of the Mostrous Manual hardcover (biggest monster book I've seen to date ;) )
Also congratulations on the find.
Thanks! :) My collection of what I want is very close to being complete; just a few more purchases at auction should do it :)

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo »

night_druid wrote:
Great idea, in theory. In practice, the holes in the MC sheets did not hold up, and pages were easily damaged. It works if you use page protectors, but that's an additional expense (and wasn't available cheaply at the time the MCs were published). I personally love them, for the portability factor and the fact that the monster entries were more than a couple of paragraphs, but most people hated them. Eventually the idea was ditched in favor of the Mostrous Manual hardcover (biggest monster book I've seen to date ;) )

I had to look up the Monstrous Manual since I didn't know it existed, and now darn-it, i want one. I have been collecting older stuff as well, with a 1st ed and a BECMI slant, but I wouldn't mind adding that gem to my collection.

I only picked up the Dragon lance and mystara mc's. I think this concept (mc) and these products were pretty useful, it is great to not have to cart around 3 monster manuals and your undead book and your draconomicon etc.. I wish we had something like this for other editions, I guess for 4e you have ddi but i currently do not have a subscription.

Thanks for the info!
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Speaking of MC happiness today I got the second Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium, new and still in the shrink wrap from Amazon. Not sure what it is but usually find some pretty good deals on amazon for Spelljammer, most of it in new or at least in like new condition (especially a still in the shrink wrap new War Captains Box set.)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

BotWizo wrote:I had to look up the Monstrous Manual since I didn't know it existed, and now darn-it, i want one. I have been collecting older stuff as well, with a 1st ed and a BECMI slant, but I wouldn't mind adding that gem to my collection.
Monstrous Manual is a beast; I can't remember if it was 400 or 500 pages; either way, it was frigg'n huge.
I only picked up the Dragon lance and mystara mc's. I think this concept (mc) and these products were pretty useful, it is great to not have to cart around 3 monster manuals and your undead book and your draconomicon etc.. I wish we had something like this for other editions, I guess for 4e you have ddi but i currently do not have a subscription.

Thanks for the info!
Well, there's always photocopying; not the most ideal solution, though. The MCs had their flaws, but being able to haul around a small packet of monsters instead of 6 books was not one of them! ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BoddynockStotch wrote:Speaking of MC happiness today I got the second Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium, new and still in the shrink wrap from Amazon. Not sure what it is but usually find some pretty good deals on amazon for Spelljammer, most of it in new or at least in like new condition (especially a still in the shrink wrap new War Captains Box set.)
Sometimes people that don't like Spelljammer can be a good thing. ;) I think the fan vs content ratio in the SJ community has helped keep prices down. 8-) (Again, I've got to say that I don't care about having collectable stuff and would be happy to have bought reprints of stuff from WotC.)
night_druid wrote:
BotWizo wrote:I had to look up the Monstrous Manual since I didn't know it existed, and now darn-it, i want one. I have been collecting older stuff as well, with a 1st ed and a BECMI slant, but I wouldn't mind adding that gem to my collection.
Monstrous Manual is a beast; I can't remember if it was 400 or 500 pages; either way, it was frigg'n huge.
Does it have everything that the little MCs have? (I'd like a complete monster collection and don't care if I have loose sheets or books.)

Hmm. I suppose, from a Spelljammer Wiki, point of view, I'm going to need this book to add in a second citation for all the SJ monsters, anyway (unless someone else adds it).
night_druid wrote:
BotWizo wrote:I only picked up the Dragon lance and mystara mc's. I think this concept (mc) and these products were pretty useful, it is great to not have to cart around 3 monster manuals and your undead book and your draconomicon etc.. I wish we had something like this for other editions, I guess for 4e you have ddi but i currently do not have a subscription.

Thanks for the info!
Well, there's always photocopying; not the most ideal solution, though. The MCs had their flaws, but being able to haul around a small packet of monsters instead of 6 books was not one of them! ;)
These days, I want a physical book, plus a copy of the data in the book. I want to be able to card the data around on a memory stick, but also flip the pages of the books when I do research. I find the two things work for me in different ways.

I pretty much like those mini players guides that Paizo have made for a couple of campaigns, and (if I had time) I would rather compile my own notes into something like that.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Big Mac wrote:Sometimes people that don't like Spelljammer can be a good thing. ;) I think the fan vs content ratio in the SJ community has helped keep prices down. 8-) (Again, I've got to say that I don't care about having collectible stuff and would be happy to have bought reprints of stuff from WotC.)
I agree with that. I've seen a few places you mentioned that WotC could be making a pretty sweet deal if they either had a retro brand or a print on demand. And while I can understand them being unable to do full campaign settings after seeing the 3rd edition catalog of what they did make supplement wise they could have just as easily done at least one source book for Spelljammer then license it (Spelljammer granted might have been harder as it was often seen as a more daft idea compared to Dragonlance or Ravenloft.) Then again that's just wishful thinking.

I thought the Monstrous Manual had pretty much all the monsters from the compendiums (if that is the case it would be a beast of a book.)

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

night_druid wrote:Monstrous Manual is a beast; I can't remember if it was 400 or 500 pages; either way, it was frigg'n huge.
384 numbered pages. :)
night_druid wrote:Well, there's always photocopying; not the most ideal solution, though. The MCs had their flaws, but being able to haul around a small packet of monsters instead of 6 books was not one of them! ;)
Well, that was the great thing about the PDFs before they stopped selling them; you could print out just the pages you needed, and nothing else. Too bad they came along well after my last gaming group collapsed. :(
BoddynockStotch wrote:I thought the Monstrous Manual had pretty much all the monsters from the compendiums (if that is the case it would be a beast of a book.)
Naw, not even close. It had pretty much everything from MCI and MCII, although some stuff was condensed (no longer a full page for giant badgers; they were added to "Mammal" for example); they also had select creatures from the various campaign settings; usually ones that were not too "specialized." So it did not have Draconians from Dragonlance, but it did have Death Knights (re-generalized to being former paladins rather than former Solamnic knights); it also included Giff and Arcane, lots of giants from various worlds (Desert, Fog, Mountain, etc.), dragons (yellow, brown, steel, mist, etc.), and things like that. Overall a very good release, and with generally good color art, too (make sure you thank Tim Beach and Doug Stewart for the wonderful art of the Invisible Stalker!).

I did miss the binder pages, though. It was really nice to just be able to grab the page for gnolls if all the adventure was going to have was gnolls. I also REALLY appreciated the large amounts of "fluff" that each entry had; it makes them very valuable no matter what version you play. I also liked essentially having "one monster per page," sure, it may not always be economical space-wise, but it was very tidy for sorting or reading; plus you're not getting monster stats and info split across pages (or at least, not very often), forcing you to flip pages a lot while playing.

I actually did make a "Complete Monstrous Manual" PDF from all the various 2nd Ed monster pages I could find in PDF format before they discontinued selling them; it clocked in at over 2700 pages. :o

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

AuldDragon wrote:I actually did make a "Complete Monstrous Manual" PDF from all the various 2nd Ed monster pages I could find in PDF format before they discontinued selling them; it clocked in at over 2700 pages. :o
Hmmm, now THAT would make one impresive Monstrous Encyclopedia!! :lol: 5 books, each 500 pages, *might* cover it, if they managed to squeeze the monsters down to just under 2500 pages. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BoddynockStotch wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Sometimes people that don't like Spelljammer can be a good thing. ;) I think the fan vs content ratio in the SJ community has helped keep prices down. 8-) (Again, I've got to say that I don't care about having collectible stuff and would be happy to have bought reprints of stuff from WotC.)
I agree with that. I've seen a few places you mentioned that WotC could be making a pretty sweet deal if they either had a retro brand or a print on demand. And while I can understand them being unable to do full campaign settings after seeing the 3rd edition catalog of what they did make supplement wise they could have just as easily done at least one source book for Spelljammer then license it (Spelljammer granted might have been harder as it was often seen as a more daft idea compared to Dragonlance or Ravenloft.) Then again that's just wishful thinking.
That "one sourcebook" would be Shadow of the Spider Moon (from Dragon Magazine).

Sadly, it isn't a full system. That is why, I'd rather convert 2e material myself.
night_druid wrote:
AuldDragon wrote:I actually did make a "Complete Monstrous Manual" PDF from all the various 2nd Ed monster pages I could find in PDF format before they discontinued selling them; it clocked in at over 2700 pages. :o
Hmmm, now THAT would make one impresive Monstrous Encyclopedia!! :lol: 5 books, each 500 pages, *might* cover it, if they managed to squeeze the monsters down to just under 2500 pages. ;)
Having seen Echohawk's list, I would have loved for 3e to have finished off with a full list of D&D monsters (including conversions). And I would love to see new monsters get "grognoidised" into older rules.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:Having seen Echohawk's list, I would have loved for 3e to have finished off with a full list of D&D monsters (including conversions). And I would love to see new monsters get "grognoidised" into older rules.
Well, such an effort would probably take years and a fairly large staff. Probably not worth the effort in the end, I think, for many people. <shrug>

But I do think I now have the vast majority of the monsters from 2nd edition, which makes me happy. Gives me all kinds of ideas, too. For example, in the second FR MC, there is a worm-like parasite that live in icy areas that wars with an insect race. Reading the description of both monsters, it really sounds like it'd be a good fit for an icy moon, with both races having a big area. Finding all kinds of things like that. ;)

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo »

Big Mac wrote:
These days, I want a physical book, plus a copy of the data in the book. I want to be able to card the data around on a memory stick, but also flip the pages of the books when I do research. I find the two things work for me in different ways.

I pretty much like those mini players guides that Paizo have made for a couple of campaigns, and (if I had time) I would rather compile my own notes into something like that.

This is pretty much what I desire as well, I don't know how much cost it would add, but if they could include a cd with the new monster manuals that would be great. I am another person who likes the book, and would love an electronic copy as well.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

BotWizo wrote:This is pretty much what I desire as well, I don't know how much cost it would add, but if they could include a cd with the new monster manuals that would be great. I am another person who likes the book, and would love an electronic copy as well.
As a company that sells Content (rules, monsters, etc), WotC has a very dim view on any of their content being available via electronic format. They only offer things via DDi, and I'm not sure what's all available (got tired of watching that slow-motion trainwreck). But their very paranoid about piracy in regards to their content.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”