Monstrous Compendium happiness

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Monstrous Compendium happiness

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Having seen Echohawk's list, I would have loved for 3e to have finished off with a full list of D&D monsters (including conversions). And I would love to see new monsters get "grognoidised" into older rules.
Well, such an effort would probably take years and a fairly large staff. Probably not worth the effort in the end, I think, for many people. <shrug>
Surf over to ENWorld's Creature Catalog forum and have a look for yourself: Total number of unconverted D&D creatures. (Including conversions done elsewhere) they are now down to less than 800 unconverted monsters!
night_druid wrote:But I do think I now have the vast majority of the monsters from 2nd edition, which makes me happy. Gives me all kinds of ideas, too. For example, in the second FR MC, there is a worm-like parasite that live in icy areas that wars with an insect race. Reading the description of both monsters, it really sounds like it'd be a good fit for an icy moon, with both races having a big area. Finding all kinds of things like that. ;)
That sort of thing is really brilliant. I get a lot of inspiration from looking at two random bits of canon and wondering how they can be made to fit together.

I think the main thing is that monsters taken from one setting into another setting, sometimes could benifit from a reboot to match the new setting. But then that would be another uber-long project.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch »

Well now its time again to talk about a little MC happiness. I recently traded one of my group mates some of my 3rd edition supplements I personally don't use (a lot of the 'Complete' series and a few other things.) Not only did I get a slew of Dark Sun (not all of it, but a lot.) I got MC vol 1 & 2 (plus one of the Dark Sun MC compendiums.) Looks like my Christmas money is going to be spent on page protectors.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BoddynockStotch wrote:Looks like my Christmas money is going to be spent on page protectors.
A couple of you have mentioned these page protectors. I've seen magic card protectors before, but do not recall ones for 2nd edition monster sheets. Where do you get them?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:
BoddynockStotch wrote:Looks like my Christmas money is going to be spent on page protectors.
A couple of you have mentioned these page protectors. I've seen magic card protectors before, but do not recall ones for 2nd edition monster sheets. Where do you get them?
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/she ... /N=5+2310/

Any major office store should carry them. Their original function was to protect important reports for offices and such.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

BoddynockStotch wrote:Well now its time again to talk about a little MC happiness. I recently traded one of my group mates some of my 3rd edition supplements I personally don't use (a lot of the 'Complete' series and a few other things.) Not only did I get a slew of Dark Sun (not all of it, but a lot.) I got MC vol 1 & 2 (plus one of the Dark Sun MC compendiums.) Looks like my Christmas money is going to be spent on page protectors.
Heh, well I hope my little suggestion helps keep your MCs in excellent shape for years to come! :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/she ... /N=5+2310/

Any major office store should carry them. Their original function was to protect important reports for offices and such.
Hmm. I might need to import some. We have a standard set of paper sizes that are different to the USA. Our closest size is A4. I photocopied some monsters onto A4 sheets (out of some of my SJ books) and had to trim off the bottom to get it to fit into the MC book.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. I might need to import some. We have a standard set of paper sizes that are different to the USA. Our closest size is A4. I photocopied some monsters onto A4 sheets (out of some of my SJ books) and had to trim off the bottom to get it to fit into the MC book.
Hmmm, our MC sheets are 8 1/8th inch by 10 5/8ths inch; the sheet protectors I use are about 8.5 inch by 11 inch (they're a bit bigger than the MC sheets, particularly width-wise and only slightly length-wise). I seem to recall you talking about the different page sizes between US & UK. You don't have an office supply store or "big-box" store (walmart, target, kmart) that sells that sort of thing? If you do, I'd go with something slightly bigger than the MC sheets.

But I'm glad my thread is helpful; I was just wanting to brag a little about snaging the entire MC line! :mrgreen:

BoddynockStotch
Gnoll

Post by BoddynockStotch »

Not sure my size page protector really, I guess 8 1/2th inch, they are a bit bigger then the MC sheets.

Funny story about today though is for the standard monsters for MC vol 1 &2 is I bought an Avery "Heavy Duty" top of the line binder with the apparent "No gap guarantee." To its credit the binder looks a heck of a lot like the old MC Binder (the one I got was very damaged, the only part of the deal that was unsatisfying, but I could live with it, the sheets were in excellent condition.) Anyway after doing up the sheets in page protectors and putting it together, yeah, I had to actually use tape to prevent gaps. The 2nd grade "Durable" one I used for my Dark Sun MC, holding up fine.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Hmmm, yeah, I've run into that problem. It slipped my mind, actually. I should have warned you guys about it. My appologies!

The page protectors tend to be very thin, so they're apt to slip through the gaps of a binder. My solution is to get D-ring binders, not O-rings. The D-rings, even if they're a little more expensive, lay flat, and the only time the page protectors are near the gap is while you're flipping the pages. With O-rings, they tend to slip out more. On the bright side, the page protectors tend to be heavy duty, so they can take a little abuse in that area.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. I might need to import some. We have a standard set of paper sizes that are different to the USA. Our closest size is A4. I photocopied some monsters onto A4 sheets (out of some of my SJ books) and had to trim off the bottom to get it to fit into the MC book.
Hmmm, our MC sheets are 8 1/8th inch by 10 5/8ths inch; the sheet protectors I use are about 8.5 inch by 11 inch (they're a bit bigger than the MC sheets, particularly width-wise and only slightly length-wise). I seem to recall you talking about the different page sizes between US & UK. You don't have an office supply store or "big-box" store (walmart, target, kmart) that sells that sort of thing? If you do, I'd go with something slightly bigger than the MC sheets.
Well, D&D is an American thing so our D&D books are your D&D books*. But in business the standard we use in the UK (and many other European countries) is a system with the technical name ISO 216. This standard was apparantly adopted here during the war, so we might have had a British system that was more like the system the US has before then.

* = They didn't shave the sides off for us. :P

But the long and the short of it is that the A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 system is so useful (for non-D&D stuff) that it is a lot easier to get C4 envelopes (to put your A4 letters into) than it is to get other random sizes. And with the ISO 216 system being based on a mathematical progression, A hypothetical C4 sized RPG boxed set could have held A4 suppliments, folded A3 or A2 maps, two split packs of A5 flash cards** or even four split packs of A6 spellcasting cards***.

** = Think of the Spelljammer ship cards, but shrunk down by the scale of the square root of 2, so that you could have twice as many deck plans and ship pictures for the same weight.

*** = Think of something similar to magic cards, but used as a memory aid, instead of a CCG.

One of the real benefits of the mathematical design of the ISO 216 system**** is that the "root 2 thing" means that if you don't have A5 paper, you can just fold A4 in half and then cut it. Or better still, you can fold it in half and use a long stapler to make an A5 booklet. So with a bit of care, a normal person can make small handouts that can be cut down from big sheets of paper without wastage. This is really useful if you want to get into self-publishing and self-publishing is a good way for a GM to make handouts.

**** = Hey, it is the d20 System of paper! 8-) That makes Americans and Canadians into "paper grognoids"! :lol:

Having said that the C4 system is a fair bit bigger than the A4 system, so I might just be able to squeeze a MC sheet inside a C4 plastic protector. I'll have to do a bit of investigation to see if I can get away with C4 or if I need to look for something bespoke or imported.
night_druid wrote:But I'm glad my thread is helpful; I was just wanting to brag a little about snaging the entire MC line! :mrgreen:
Boast as much as you wish. But when the dust settles, we are just going to ask you to start building homeworlds for all of the monsters that have non-standard biology! :twisted:

Uncle Jungle
Hobgoblin

Post by Uncle Jungle »

Big Mac wrote:Boast as much as you wish. But when the dust settles, we are just going to ask you to start building homeworlds for all of the monsters that have non-standard biology! :twisted:
Seriously, lets make him do this! :mrgreen:
"Letting your mind play is the best way to solve problems" - Bill Watterson

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Uncle Jungle wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Boast as much as you wish. But when the dust settles, we are just going to ask you to start building homeworlds for all of the monsters that have non-standard biology! :twisted:
Seriously, lets make him do this! :mrgreen:
Man, what makes you think you guys *deserve* that? :mrgreen: :lol:

Uncle Jungle
Hobgoblin

Post by Uncle Jungle »

Does "Because we want it" count as a good enough reason? :D
"Letting your mind play is the best way to solve problems" - Bill Watterson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Uncle Jungle wrote:Does "Because we want it" count as a good enough reason? :D
Think about it. If you don't build the "Moon of the Maskhi", then one day you are going to sit down and wonder why you spent all that cash on Al-Qadim stuff! :twisted: :P ;)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

:lol: Guys are killing me...working me to death creating a SJ universe. ;)

Big Mac wrote:Think about it. If you don't build the "Moon of the Maskhi", then one day you are going to sit down and wonder why you spent all that cash on Al-Qadim stuff! :twisted: :P ;)
Other than my pure reading enjoyment? But man, there's 2,700+ monsters in those things! I'm only one man! :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
:lol: Guys are killing me...working me to death creating a SJ universe. ;)
I suppose we could turn you into an archlich! :lol:
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Think about it. If you don't build the "Moon of the Maskhi", then one day you are going to sit down and wonder why you spent all that cash on Al-Qadim stuff! :twisted: :P ;)
Other than my pure reading enjoyment? But man, there's 2,700+ monsters in those things! I'm only one man! :lol:
Yes, but one man can make a difference! :twisted:

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:I suppose we could turn you into an archlich! :lol:
Heh, that'll be expensive...;)
Great...now I'm being compared to TV icons of the 70's... :lol:

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

In the warm-fuzzy side of things, I've pulled (almost) all of my old RPG materials out of storage. This includes most of the old boxed sets, as well as my close to complete (or possibly even complete) MC collection. The binders are back on my shelf for the first time in well over a decade.

Good times :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Bonetti wrote:In the warm-fuzzy side of things, I've pulled (almost) all of my old RPG materials out of storage. This includes most of the old boxed sets, as well as my close to complete (or possibly even complete) MC collection. The binders are back on my shelf for the first time in well over a decade.
I put most of my AD&D stuff up in the loft, but Spelljammer Wiki has had me going up to get book after book, and I've not bothered to put them back up there.

And, although I won't be playing 2e, I'll be buying more 2e campaign settings...when I can find the ones I don't have. (I anticipate spending more on new 2e products than 4e.)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

I refuse to put my D&D books, etc., into storage; it's the principal of the thing. ;)

I need them.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Hugin wrote:I refuse to put my D&D books, etc., into storage; it's the principal of the thing. ;)

I need them.
I'm fortunate that I don't need to put my D&D books into storage. Of course, my collection has grown to three good-sized bookshelves... :lol:

I need a dedicated library 8-)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

night_druid wrote:
Hugin wrote:I refuse to put my D&D books, etc., into storage; it's the principal of the thing. ;)

I need them.
I'm fortunate that I don't need to put my D&D books into storage. Of course, my collection has grown to three good-sized bookshelves... :lol:

I need a dedicated library 8-)
You and me both. I'm just spilling over into the second bookshelf, which happens to be where the wife puts her books... needless to say there is some friction there. Well, I have space for one more shelf - I suppose for my own sanity I should put another up.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Chimpman wrote:
night_druid wrote:I need a dedicated library 8-)
You and me both. I'm just spilling over into the second bookshelf, which happens to be where the wife puts her books... needless to say there is some friction there. Well, I have space for one more shelf - I suppose for my own sanity I should put another up.
Just quietly move her books to the basement..or the street, wherever you have room. And act all innocent when she notices. And if she catches you in the act, well, you're boned... :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Chimpman wrote:
night_druid wrote:I need a dedicated library 8-)
Just quietly move her books to the basement..or the street, wherever you have room. And act all innocent when she notices. And if she catches you in the act, well, you're boned... :lol:
Are you crazy?

If she catches him doing that, her divorce lawer might get her half of his D&D collection as an act of revenge! :P :twisted: :lol:

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

rabindranath72 wrote:nice grab! Did you get only the loose sheets version? IIRC I have the 1st, 2nd, FR, GH, DL, FF, Outer planes and all of the Ravenloft ones.
This particular piece was MC 1-14. It included

MC 1-2 (Generic monsters), Forgotten Realms 1-2, Spelljammer 1-2, kara-tur, Al-Qadim, Greyhawk, Outer Planes, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Fiend Folio, Dragonlance, Some loose Horde sheets
And something from Mayfair games in the same format, detailing some demons (no idea on the product name).
Very cool - congratulations.
I recently found the original MC folder stuffed to the brim with all sorts of sheets from a range of sources. It was in a local second-hand bookshop half-hidden under a bookcase with a pile of old Dragon magazines on top. It's going to take ages to go through them all, and I realise how much I miss that format (and boxed sets, miss them too).
It sounds as though you've got a good system for sorting though. Good luck.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”