Annam's entry in Monster Mythology

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Annam's entry in Monster Mythology

Post by AuldDragon »

I noticed something in Annam's entry in Monster Mythology that reads:

"Annam will very rarely send an avatar to the Prime Material. If he does, it is because of some epoch-shaking event that will affect the course of history for an entire world, or at least a continent. In different worlds, Annam’s avatars have observed the Rain of Colorless Fire, the Storms of Undeath, the passing of Netheril, and the Zephyrs of Unbecoming."

Obviously, "the passing of Netheril" refers to the Forgotten Realms; anyone know if the other events refer to any other campaing settings? They're not familiar to me.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Annam's entry in Monster Mythology

Post by Chimpman »

Rain of Colorless Fire refers to the catastrophe caused by the Suel in Greyhawk (IIRC). I've never heard the others before.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Chimpman wrote:Rain of Colorless Fire refers to the catastrophe caused by the Suel in Greyhawk (IIRC). I've never heard the others before.
Wow, that was fast, thanks. :D I figured one had to refer to something in Greyhawk, but I'm not familiar with much in the setting. I'm thinking that if any were made up for the entry, they can be used in Spelljammer. :)

Jeff
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

AuldDragon wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Rain of Colorless Fire refers to the catastrophe caused by the Suel in Greyhawk (IIRC). I've never heard the others before.
Wow, that was fast, thanks. :D I figured one had to refer to something in Greyhawk, but I'm not familiar with much in the setting. I'm thinking that if any were made up for the entry, they can be used in Spelljammer. :)
You can pretty much use anything for Spelljammer even if it does come from a 'groundling' campaign. But obviously it needs a bit more work.

If you have one FR hit and one GH hit, I would suggest that you look at whatever other settings were out when this sourcebook was published. I'm not sure what book you are talking about, but if it was during the 2nd edition era I would suggest you ask a Dragonlance fan. If it was duriing the 3e era it might be an attempt to tie into Eberron.

If it is from the 1st edition era (or fairly late in the 2e era) it might even be something from Mystara.

EDIT: I'm not sure, but 'Zephyrs of Unbecoming' sounds like it is from Al-Qadim.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote: If it is from the 1st edition era (or fairly late in the 2e era) it might even be something from Mystara.
Not Mystara. :)

That would have been the Great Rain of Fire (Destruction of Blackmoor), the Fall of Nithia or even the Banishment of the Carnifex.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Big Mac wrote:You can pretty much use anything for Spelljammer even if it does come from a 'groundling' campaign. But obviously it needs a bit more work.
They're throw-away references to catastrophes; there's no real details. Some are real references, some aren't. I think they were put in specifically so DMs could use them in their homebrew campaigns. I just don't know which were which beyond the Fall of Netheril (and now the Rain of Colorless Fire).
Big Mac wrote:If you have one FR hit and one GH hit, I would suggest that you look at whatever other settings were out when this sourcebook was published. I'm not sure what book you are talking about, but if it was during the 2nd edition era I would suggest you ask a Dragonlance fan. If it was duriing the 3e era it might be an attempt to tie into Eberron.
DMGR4 Monster Mythology was published in 1992. It is basically a companion book to Legends & Lore, but detailing non-human pantheons and gods (Elf, Orc, Beholder, Giant, etc.). Annam is the head of the Giant pantheon; as such, he wouldn't exist in Dragonlance (and if he did, I imagine the fall of Istar would be listed). It's one of the better 2nd edition reference books, IMO.
Big Mac wrote:EDIT: I'm not sure, but 'Zephyrs of Unbecoming' sounds like it is from Al-Qadim.
I'll see if I can find a record of years for Al-Qadim.

Jeff

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”