New to the forums & the Arcania project

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: New to the forums & the Arcania project

Postby peet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 am

All right, I filled in the details on the land side of the southwest map.

More to come.

Peet
peet
Hobgoblin

Postby peet » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Getting there... :)

Figured out how to do shapes to fill in the coastline and managed to figure out the scale of Alphatia relative to my rendering of Brun.

I'm happy with it so far. Not long now! Still have to do some coastlines and rivers, add a few islands, etc.

Peet
peet
Hobgoblin

Postby peet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:38 am

OK here's a few notes about the stuff I've added.

The West:

The Iron Empire
This region is an oppressive state run by hobgoblins, with Thouls among the ruling class. Also there are Fire Giants but their numbers are relatively small. The Iron Empire is so known because of their intense production of iron goods; iron is mined in the hills near Lakehead and shipped down to Blackcrown, where coal is mined in the hills nearby. Goblins make up much of the lower class, and humans are kept as slaves. Periodically the Iron Empire raids the Republic of Darokin for slaves and in the long run they hope to conquer the Republic.

Yaznid Orc Steppes
This region is controlled by wandering tribes of nomadic orcs. Mounted on horseback as well as on the backs of other animals, the Yaznids often raid the Republic of Darokin, but they generally prefer to sell their captives to the Iron Empire. However, they sometimes attack the Empire as well, and also raid the Atruaghin clans to the east.

Eastern Deserts
Though sparsely inhabited the Eastern deserts are homes to tribes of nomadic orcs, gnolls, and Ssisthik (sp?). A caravan route runs from Akesoli through the desert, and ends at the "Golden City" (off the map) - a city so named not because it is made of gold but rather that it is rules by a council of Gold Dragons. Though the desert is inhabited by hostiles the passage is safer than going through the much more numerous Yaznid Orcs to the north.

Orak
The city of Orak was once a human city but was overrun by gnolls centuries ago. Since then the gnolls have repulsed several human attempts to retake the city. Much of the city is still populated by human slaves who perform most of the menial work. The city is defended by one of several nomadic tribes of gnolls that live in the area. By ancient custom they may "camp" at the city for only so long and must spend the rest of their time in the desert; this prevents the gnoll tribes from getting "soft" with civilized living. The gnolls are always willing to buy slaves from merchants and as a result the adjacent bay has gained the name "Slaver's Bay." A caravan runs from Orak to the nation of Raktura across the desert.

Raktura
This land is inhabited by Rakasta. Unlike the nomadic Rakasta that inhabit the nearby savannah (as the Rakasta are described in X1), the people of Raktura are civilized and their country is similar to medieval Japan (as are described in Rage of the Rakasta). However the land is much warmer than Japan, being in the tropics. The caravan delivers many exotic goods to Orak which would be at greater risk if they went by sea, having to traverse the Serpent Peninsula.

Erouaan, Berjesh, & Druje
These nations do not have a central government and are composed of individual free cities. The subsist on fishing, dry agriculture, and trade, and are known as a region that produces olives, figs, oils, and other fine goods. They trade in slaves with the gnolls and both gnolls and rakasta are a common sight in these regions. They were once a part of the Empire of Thyatis but the Empire abandoned this region long ago. There are some cultural differences between the regions but they are not that obvious to outsiders.

Hraki, Edeka, and Aegoros
These regions are meant to be analogous to ancient Greece. Most of the region is controlled by independent city-states, though Aegoros rules what is more realistically called a Kingdom. Though once these cities were controlled by the Empire of Thyatis they reverted to independence after the Thyatians no longer had the resources to patrol the region. Prior to the Thyatian period the foremost cities in the region were Ierendi and Tharan. They fought a great war and in the process the Peninsula of Ierendi became an island. Hraki differs from Edeka mostly in that the Hraki are more accustomed to raids from the barbaric peoples from the west.

Vakian Plains
These plains are inhabited by human nomads much like Cossacks. Their range has shrunk as the desert encroaches from the west, and they are constantly struggling with gnoll raids. This has made them a very hard people.

Atrughin Clans
South of the firth the Atrughin clans have more territory; along the forested south coast more people of the Children of the Turtle live, but south of that live the Children of the Coyote. The Children of the Coyote are an analog of the Apache and Navaho peoples. They are warriors, but respect cunning more than strength. With the desert full of gnolls, orcs, and ssisthik, they know that life can be a constant battle for survival, and they must be smart as well as strong in order to survive.

More on other parts of the map later.

Peet
peet
Hobgoblin

Postby peet » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey, guys. It's been a while... I've been occupied with a variety of things including running my homebrew variant of B4 using my homebrew BECMI rules. But I've kept chipping away at it.

I noticed that this thread has made it's way to the vaults of Pandius! Yay, me! I will have to get things going here.

So I am almost finished the map, aside from the northern reaches (Borea, etc.) which includes Jotunheim, a land dominated by Frost Giants. Also there will be neanderthals who hunt on mammoth-filled plains, criyons, and so forth.

I'm pretty happy with it and feel that I'm in the home stretch here.

So a few notes"

Taresia is the name I've given to the subcontinent that includes both Alphatia and my expanded Isle of Dawn. The southern half (the Isle of Dawn section) is much wider than the original IoD and includes a variety of human cultures that comprise a part of the "Known World" section of the map.

My backstory here is that after the Rain of Fire, the surviving human population in the north, centered on Blackmoor (I am assuming this region has the highest human population density on the planet at the time), suddenly found their homelands had moved north and were now in the polar region. These humans would have died out had not a group of immortals (it would be unclear which ones at this point) gathered a group of faithful humans and brought them to the warm region of upper Thothis (or perhaps Merax). From this region the humans of the "Known World" spread outward into the various ethnic regions we see today. Other pockets of humans exist that are not descended from this group but for the most part they are chaotic and hostile to outsiders.

So some noteworthy spots on Taresia include:

Kagh-Athorum is a major city and ancient rival of Thyatis, conquered by Thyatis long ago in a series of wars that changed Thyatis from a regional power to a major one. Kagh-Athorum is actually a melding of two cities (Kagh and Athorum), each of which was on the opposite coast from one another. Only a few miles apart, the cities built a pair of great walls that blocked off the Hattias peninsula from Sarkania, allowing transport from the Sea of Dread over land to the Sea of Dawn, and restricting land access from mainland Taresia to the north. Kagh-Athorum is the Arcanian equivalent of Carthage.

The Free Cities of Sarkania were once a part of the Empire of Thyatis but with the withdrawal of legions to fight the Bogotz this area declared its independence from Thyatis, and the Thyatians could do little to prevent it. No direct earth equivalent, though the peninsula itself is reminiscent of Asia Minor.

The Sultanate of Bogotz is ruled by a group of nomads who originated in the Morkolian Plateau. They migrated to the north and west, and influenced by the Ylari they invaded Thyatian territory and now occupy the pasture lands of eastern Sarkania. There is still a Sarkanian underclass that is ruled by the Bogotz tribe but intermarriage is gradually producing a new ethnicity. The Sultanate is equivalent to the early Turks, the Seljuks and the Sultanate of Rum.

The Kingdom of Kazamong is a sliver of land that is still ruled by Thyatians, but having been cut off by the Bogotz and offered no support by the Empire, Kazamong has had to fend for itself. The nation pays tribute to the Bogotz. Kazamong is the equivalent of Trebizond on Earth.

The Emirate of Ylaruam is pretty well-known but I moved it from it's original spot to here so it can interact with cultures that ought to be its neighbours.

The Kingdom of Thothis is the Arcanian analogue of Egypt, though unlike Medieval Egypt the ancient religions still hold sway here so it is more reminiscent of Ancient Egypt than medieval Egypt. The Thothians consider themselves to be the source of human culture and civilization.

The Zabrak Plains are a wild region inhabited my nomadic peoples, most of whom are not humans, including many Gnolls and other humanoid species. There are no significant human cultures south of here; they are all non-human south of this point.

Merax is an isolated kingdom that also claims to be the origin of the human race and its culture. It is a semi-civilized region that benefits from the overland trade routes connecting Thothis and Ishnanta, since there is no safe sea route connecting these two. As a smaller nation Merax has often been conquered by other nations and is more preoccupied with defending its borders than acquiring territory. Merax is kind of a conflation of Armenia and Meröe on Earth.

Ishnanta is an ancient nation based on Mesopotamia and is reminiscent of Ancient Babylon and Sumeria. At some point in the ancient past the ancestors of this nation (or perhaps members of some other race) cut huge channels connecting the Ishur Sea to the Belissarian Sea, preventing the Ishur Sea from drying out and also allowing maritime trade from Ishnanta to reach the ocean.

Pharnazia is a semi-isolated plateau that is home to a civilized nation which once ruled an Empire that stretched to the sea. It is the equivalent of Medieval Persia. Pharnazia has been conquered by the Morkolians in the past but is currently independent.

Hoom lies in the highest altitude region of the central mountains (I haven't named the mountains yet) and is inhabited by relatives of the Morkolians. Most are primitive herdsmen and hunters but a large number of monasteries exist, set up here for the sake of isolation. Hoom is difficult to find a way into but is most easily accessed from the east. Hoom is the Arcanian analogue to Earth's Tibet.

Sindrani States are the equivalent of the Sindhi in Mystara and are analogous to earth's India & Pakistan. The region is made up of a variety of independent cities and principalities, though they share the same culture and language.

Uttar Kesh is arguably the most powerful of the Sindrani States, and it controls the canals that allow access from the Sea of Ishur to the ocean.

Dhar is a hybrid state between the Sindhi and the Morkolians and is the equivalent of Earth's Burma/Myanmar.

Aer-Ya (which in Mystara would have been Aeria, but I wanted the name to sound more "Asian" and also I connected it to the mainland) is a tropical region that has recently come under the control of the Central Empire. It is the equivalent of Medieval Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia.

Ay-Gosh, Nardu Uual, and Gai-Ti are islands who are influenced by the nearby cultures on the mainland; Ay-Gosh is reminiscent of Indonesia, while Gai-Ti is reminiscent of Thailand. Nardu Uual, the most remote, is perhaps reminiscent of New Guinea.

The Central Empire calls itself this as it considers itself to be the most important (and thus "central") part of the world and doesn't consider the rest of the world to be of any particular importance. Its land is intensely irrigated and its three main rivers are connected by a network of canals, facilitating trade by canalboat throughout the nation. The Central Empire is arguably the most powerful human empire in the world, though it concentrates its efforts on developing itself rather than conquering its neighbours, which it only occasionally does to deal with neighbours who are a nuisance or to give the army something to do. The Central Empire is the equivalent of Medieval China.

Honshoku is separated from the Central Empire by a narrow but tall mountain range, which has kept the region isolated. Nevertheless the tribes that occupied Honshoku, impressed by the culture of the Central Empire, decided to deliberately emulate the Empire's culture. However the Empire of Honshoku has developed a noble warrior caste with rigid concepts of honor and duty, to a much greater extent than the Central Empire, and the smiths of Honshoku are known for their swords of exceptional quality. Honshoku is the Arcanian equivalent of Medieval Japan.

Note: the state of Raktura in the west is modelled on the culture of Honshoku but is populated by Rakasta; the Rakasta migrated there by ship after suffering from racial discrimination in Honshoku and other regions.

The Morkolian Plateau is inhabited by the Morkolians, relatives of the Ethengari, and periodically their population reaches the point where they must either starve, fight amongst themselves, or expand, and at these points a large group of Morkolians typically rides out to find a new land to conquer. In the northern mountains there is an ancient gate built long ago by the elves that allows instantaneous travel from the plateau to the Ethengar plains, though this gate is not always active. In this way tribes of Morkolians have migrated north to become the Ethengari

Urum is a semi-civilized nation dominated by a Morkolian tribe that conquered it centuries ago; prior to that it had a hybrid Ylari/Thyatian culture. There's no direct earth equivalent but you could use Azerbaijan or one of the central Asian nations as a guide.

The Sultanate of Vordoqa is an Ylari state built on lands once ruled by the Empire of Thyatis, though the locals had thrown off the yoke of Thyatis long before. Once a part of the Emirates of Ylaruam, the Sultanate has little in common with the nomadic ways of Ylaruam and became independent several hundred years ago. Though it has been at war with the nations to the north for a long time, the Sultan is always more concerned with the possibility of Morkolian invasion from the south. The Sultanate is the Equivalent of the Umayyad Emirate which ruled most (the southern 2/3rds) of modern Spain/Portugal in the middle ages.

The nations of Meredo, Savarro, and Isterencia are what remains of the culture of the Vordoqa peninsula before the Ylari arrived. Hanging on to the tip of the peninsula, these nations have been struggling with the Sultanate and have gradually fought their way back to controlling most of the northern part of the peninsula. These nations are equivalent to the nations on Earth that would eventually make up Spain and Portugal on Earth, such as Aragon, Castile, and Leon (with Savarro being the nation that will eventually become the Portugal-analogue).

More to Come!

Peet
peet
Hobgoblin

Previous

Return to Mystara