Plants of Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: Plants of Mystara

Postby Justinov » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Robin wrote:I compiled all plants of D&D together in Monster Manual chapter Lowlife.
With the help of Justinov, they have been finished last year.
It is posted on Pandius.
As an illustration rich PDF document.
Here a link
http://pandius.com/mnstrmnl.html
Please let me know what you think about it.

Well I know it's great ;)

What I was asking about is that most role playing settings assume ordinary plant life from our world, and describes only extraordinary plant life with special magical ability, vast size, carnivorous, have powerful poisons and so on.
So really not much work I think on ordinary plants/fungi (non magical special stuff) that could be the basis of agriculture and just setting a feel.

So to give an example of invented ordinary plants. Grass have in it's stem silica-dioxide phytoliths (not as crystals), that grinds the teeth of animals trying to eat it (as it doesn't want to be eaten). So what if we change that into a grass that has magnetite instead (actually some animals have magnetite as it likely helps them to guide themselves according to the magnetic field - Rainbow trout has magnetite in their noses). Magnetite is Fe3O4, so it could also be an “iron ore“
So name “Irongrass“.
Found in the Ethangar Khanate.
Grows on clay soils, that has a big iron content it can draw from, but not on quarts sand.
It's seeds falls down from the plant and are not wind carried, so it grows in clusters and spreads slowly.
It has a very “metallic“ taste, which keeps many animals from eating it.

Size: Grows up to 30 cm with a thick stem.
Colour: Greenish black and shines with a slight metallic hue.
Weight: Is more heavy than normal grass.
Because of the weight the top of the plants tips and it will always tip according to the magnetic field [Mystara can't have a magnetic field as it has no spinning molten core, so it is according to the magnetic field of the Hollow Earth Sun].

Ethangarians always know the direction, when looking at the grass (only with fairly good wind will the grass be blown away from it's preferred tilting direction. The grass can also be harvested as a source of Iron for tool- and weapon making, which is an old tradition in Ethangar. It is important when harvesting Irongrass that the stem is cut. If you pull the plant too hard, you will pull up the roots and as the grass spread slowly a non-patient harvester eager for fast profit can easily destroy a huge area.
Some high status individuals seek foreign iron ores or even foreign prestige weapons instead, while conservatives would always stick to the production of plant-iron instead of imported rock-iron from Rockhome.

So anyone else have some good ideas for common plant life?
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Gecko » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:58 am

Justinov wrote:So to give an example of invented ordinary plants. Grass have in it's stem silica-dioxide phytoliths (not as crystals), that grinds the teeth of animals trying to eat it (as it doesn't want to be eaten). So what if we change that into a grass that has magnetite instead (actually some animals have magnetite as it likely helps them to guide themselves according to the magnetic field - Rainbow trout has magnetite in their noses). Magnetite is Fe3O4, so it could also be an “iron ore“
So name “Irongrass“.
Found in the Ethangar Khanate.
Grows on clay soils, that has a big iron content it can draw from, but not on quarts sand.
It's seeds falls down from the plant and are not wind carried, so it grows in clusters and spreads slowly.
It has a very “metallic“ taste, which keeps many animals from eating it.

Size: Grows up to 30 cm with a thick stem.
Colour: Greenish black and shines with a slight metallic hue.
Weight: Is more heavy than normal grass.
Because of the weight the top of the plants tips and it will always tip according to the magnetic field [Mystara can't have a magnetic field as it has no spinning molten core, so it is according to the magnetic field of the Hollow Earth Sun].

Ethangarians always know the direction, when looking at the grass (only with fairly good wind will the grass be blown away from it's preferred tilting direction. The grass can also be harvested as a source of Iron for tool- and weapon making, which is an old tradition in Ethangar. It is important when harvesting Irongrass that the stem is cut. If you pull the plant too hard, you will pull up the roots and as the grass spread slowly a non-patient harvester eager for fast profit can easily destroy a huge area.
Some high status individuals seek foreign iron ores or even foreign prestige weapons instead, while conservatives would always stick to the production of plant-iron instead of imported rock-iron from Rockhome.

So anyone else have some good ideas for common plant life?

That could answer the question we discussed previously about where the Ethengarians get their iron ore from.

Edit: oh wait, we weren't discussing ore sources but rather fuel sources for heating and smelting/smithing
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Justinov » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Gecko wrote:
Justinov wrote:That could answer the question we discussed previously about where the Ethengarians get their iron ore from.

Edit: oh wait, we weren't discussing ore sources but rather fuel sources for heating and smelting/smithing

Hadn't seen this thread, so thanks for that.
So the Iron Grass does solve the ore problem, but not the fuel problem.

I was thinking that the Ethangarians would have a serious problem to get enough heat for the smelting process if they didn't have access to wooden charcoal. As they are a plain people there are very few trees in Ethangar; and to import it from Darokin would make it extremely expensive.

So then you could have another grass growing in Ethangar, which can burn with the temperature of 1591-1597 degrees Celcius, that is needed to melt magnetite. Magnetite is a (alpha-iron), that can only dissolved low amounts of carbon (0,02 %). It will produce low carbon steel and thus not be the steel quality of high carbon steel.

But Iron has a boiling point of 2870 degrees Celcius, so if you can heat it beyond that you can vaporize iron. So what can burn with that temperature - answer is Magnesium, that burns at around 3000 degrees Celcius.

I’m thinking that the ethangarians would create an earth mound. In their they put a mixture of Iron Grass and Fire Grass. They have bellows to pump air into the mound, and a hole in the top for gasses to exit. Some of the magnetite might vapourize, but with the intense heat it will likely first go liquid and sink to the bottom of the mound, where it can be collected.
Otherwise they need some kind of mechanism to turn vapourize iron back into metallic iron.

[I'm not a metallurgic expert or a smith - so if any expert has an explanation how this could be improve let me hear!].

“Firegrass“ (is like iron grass, but instead of Magnetite is contain Magnesium).
Size: 50 cm
Colour: Green with a light silvery metallic hue (it’s is normal light green if it hasn’t enough magnesium to make it true fire grass).
Weight: Normal
It is a fast growing plant and is the cause of catastrophic wildfires, that burns incredible hot on the Ethangarian plains.
It has tiny seeds, which are wind born, and the grass will start to re-grow immediately in an area just after it has been burnt.
It grows best in areas of dolomite limestone deposits, which are rich in magnesium for the plant to absorb through the roots.
It can grow other places, but wont uptake magnesium in amounts enough to make it a “firegrass“ and thus also grow slower.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Gecko » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:58 am

Justinov wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Justinov wrote:That could answer the question we discussed previously about where the Ethengarians get their iron ore from.

Hadn't seen this thread, so thanks for that.
So the Iron Grass does solve the ore problem, but not the fuel problem.

I was thinking that the Ethangarians would have a serious problem to get enough heat for the smelting process if they didn't have access to wooden charcoal. As they are a plain people there are very few trees in Ethangar; and to import it from Darokin would make it extremely expensive.

So then you could have another grass growing in Ethangar, which can burn with the temperature of 1591-1597 degrees Celcius, that is needed to melt magnetite. Magnetite is a (alpha-iron), that can only dissolved low amounts of carbon (0,02 %). It will produce low carbon steel and thus not be the steel quality of high carbon steel.

But Iron has a boiling point of 2870 degrees Celcius, so if you can heat it beyond that you can vaporize iron. So what can burn with that temperature - answer is Magnesium, that burns at around 3000 degrees Celcius.

I’m thinking that the ethangarians would create an earth mound. In their they put a mixture of Iron Grass and Fire Grass. They have bellows to pump air into the mound, and a hole in the top for gasses to exit. Some of the magnetite might vapourize, but with the intense heat it will likely first go liquid and sink to the bottom of the mound, where it can be collected.
Otherwise they need some kind of mechanism to turn vapourize iron back into metallic iron.

[I'm not a metallurgic expert or a smith - so if any expert has an explanation how this could be improve let me hear!].

“Firegrass“ (is like iron grass, but instead of Magnetite is contain Magnesium).
Size: 50 cm
Colour: Green with a light silvery metallic hue (it’s is normal light green if it hasn’t enough magnesium to make it true fire grass).
Weight: Normal
It is a fast growing plant and is the cause of catastrophic wildfires, that burns incredible hot on the Ethangarian plains.
It has tiny seeds, which are wind born, and the grass will start to re-grow immediately in an area just after it has been burnt.
It grows best in areas of dolomite limestone deposits, which are rich in magnesium for the plant to absorb through the roots.
It can grow other places, but wont uptake magnesium in amounts enough to make it a “firegrass“ and thus also grow slower.

I'm not sure why you're worrying about the boiling point - all that you need to reach is the point at which it starts to flow, approximately the melting point, which for Iron (II, III) Oxide at standard temperature & pressure [STP, ie atmospheric and sea level temperatures and pressure] is 1538 or 1539 C (wikipedia uses both numbers)- easily reachable in a bloomery (roughly what your describing) or a Wootz crucible. Some forms of Iron are even lower (ie in Ledeburite there's an Eutectic effect where the melting point is only 1147 C)

[note I'm also not a mettalurgist and would appreciate hearing input from an expert on this topic]
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Justinov » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Gecko wrote:
I'm not sure why you're worrying about the boiling point - all that you need to reach is the point at which it starts to flow, approximately the melting point, which for Iron (II, III) Oxide at standard temperature & pressure [STP, ie atmospheric and sea level temperatures and pressure] is 1538 or 1539 C (wikipedia uses both numbers)- easily reachable in a bloomery (roughly what your describing) or a Wootz crucible. Some forms of Iron are even lower (ie in Ledeburite there's an Eutectic effect where the melting point is only 1147 C)

[note I'm also not a mettalurgist and would appreciate hearing input from an expert on this topic]

It's just that the temperature caused by burning magnesium in a confined space could actually vapourize iron.
Maybe the iron will first melt and be able to flow down (for collection) before it reaches a gas state. But the earth-mound (which Ethangarian wopuld likely use) would have to be constructed with a run down system - but of what material to withstand over 3000 degrees Celcius.

Tungsten/Wolfram has melting point of 3422 degrees Celcius, so they could use a grid of that in the mound to separate the burn chamber from the collecting chamber to lay the “irongrass“ and “firegrass“ mixed together and then the melted iron could run through the grid before it is vapourized!

I have not been able to find anything on the net about the process of condensing iron from vapour?! But it should perhaps be done after some time by pouring water on the mound?

A Ferrite (alpha-iron) like Magnetite apparently melts around ~1590 degrees Celcius.

NB: Tungsten/Wolfram is the heaviest metal to occur as biomolecules in living organisms, so perhaps the Ethangarians collect it from somewhere......have to think about that.
It would be perhaps to heavy for a grass.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby Gecko » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:56 am

But you (and more importantly, the Ethengarians) don't need something as extreme as a magnesium fire (which is hard to ignite unless it is extremely pure btw) to get hot enough to smelt iron, especially if you include alloy's and undoutably a flux (for the numbers I've only been considering pure samples -or Carbon mixtures). I'm not sure if a flux lowers the melting point or simply changes the viscosity once it is liquid (or if it replaces the chemical bonds in the source ore, thus seperating out the desired element from the silicate or oxide or whatnot that's it's bonded to in the ore) but flux's, such as simple limestone, have long been known about, so the Ethengarians very likely use one, be it knownigly or unknowingly (could come from the material of the bloomery without them even realising it)

And if your adding in another material to make it work (Tungsten/Wulfram) then you have to explain how do they smelt and then cast or forge that even hotter material?

As an aside, what's your source for the "burn temperatures" and that 1590 C melting point of alpha-iron that you have given twice? My only readily available source is Wikipedia - which isn't always reliable - but looking at some of the phase diagrams (ie here, here & here - the multiple agreeing diagrams and several mentions within text across pages means it unlikely from a malicious editor or editors - or here is a close up of the alpha iron section- point being unless you heat it extremely quickly it won't remain alpha-iron) it looks like 1590 would be for delta iron or some really low carbon Austenite (gamma-iron). That's ignoring the fact that technically above 771 C were actually talking about beta-iron, but that's a nit-picking terminology technicality so never mind.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Justinov » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Gecko wrote:But you (and more importantly, the Ethengarians) don't need something as extreme as a magnesium fire (which is hard to ignite unless it is extremely pure btw) to get hot enough to smelt iron, especially if you include alloy's and undoutably a flux (for the numbers I've only been considering pure samples -or Carbon mixtures). I'm not sure if a flux lowers the melting point or simply changes the viscosity once it is liquid (or if it replaces the chemical bonds in the source ore, thus seperating out the desired element from the silicate or oxide or whatnot that's it's bonded to in the ore) but flux's, such as simple limestone, have long been known about, so the Ethengarians very likely use one, be it knownigly or unknowingly (could come from the material of the bloomery without them even realising it)

And if your adding in another material to make it work (Tungsten/Wulfram) then you have to explain how do they smelt and then cast or forge that even hotter material?

As an aside, what's your source for the "burn temperatures" and that 1590 C melting point of alpha-iron that you have given twice? My only readily available source is Wikipedia - which isn't always reliable - but looking at some of the phase diagrams (ie here, here & here - the multiple agreeing diagrams and several mentions within text across pages means it unlikely from a malicious editor or editors - or here is a close up of the alpha iron section- point being unless you heat it extremely quickly it won't remain alpha-iron) it looks like 1590 would be for delta iron or some really low carbon Austenite (gamma-iron). That's ignoring the fact that technically above 771 C were actually talking about beta-iron, but that's a nit-picking terminology technicality so never mind.

I just thought that without charcoal how would you be able to reach the temperature needed for melting iron?
To make it simply then magnetite appears as “real“ octahedral microcrystalline deposits growing in the grass (instead of as phytoliths) as I have no idea how you would get metal out of phytoliths from heating.
A ferrite like magnetite will cool into an alpha-iron (you are right that it will be in different forms at higher temperatures - Beta-iron over 771 C or Delta iron over 1390 C), but it seems that all forms of ferrite will only produces very low-carbon steels; so I guess not a problem.
So magnesium as you say is perhaps a bad candidate for a heating source (also since it doesn't exist naturally as a pure metal‚ so it will be as a phytolith and then it wouldn't burn easily as you say).
As for Tungsten/Wolfram it could just be naturally occuring rock that the grass it put on and then the metal can run down between the cracks.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Re: Ethengarian metallurgy

Postby Gecko » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:11 am

Ok, I read up a little more on this - and it looks like we are overthing the whole issue

Apparently (again, I'm not a mettallurgist), as long as your not making high purity modern materials science finely controled modern steel, but rather just iron, it doesn't even need smelting! You apparently only need 60% purity, and Magnetite, Hematite, & Geothite (The three most common sources of iron ore) are all greater than 60% iron as-is (72.4%, 69,9%, & 62.9%, respecitevly), and even lower grade iron ore's doesn't need full smelting (again, if your not making high purity steel), at most maybe some simple crushing (like with a hammer) to seperate out the bigger pieces from the Gangue (beneficiation). Of course you still need to get it hot enough to make it plastic (which is less than the melting temperature) for forging (or melt it if your casting it, but then we are back to the same problem as with melting it for smelting)

Historically a lot of iron was acquired from banded iron formations, or more relevant to this discussion, from metalliferous laterite soils derived from mafic (usually, but not solely, igneous) parent rocks, especially serpentinite rocks. While laterite soils are mostly in hot and wet tropic areas, there are noted exceptions - ie The basaltic laterite's of Northern Ireland are noted sources of hematite & goethite. Could there be lateritic soils in Ethengar? I also note that Goethite can be found as gossan iron caps and/or on the bottom of lakes and small creeks. I remember there's those two depressions in Ethengar (one that includes Lake Talkai and Xantha, the other a series of lakes and Chagon-nah) don't those seasonally flood (or at least the lakes expand and the rest becomes swampy)? Perhaps that seasonal inundation has either created laterite OR it could annually expose more Gossan's, thus maybe that's the true secret of the Murkits dominance- their lands are the main sources of higher quality of iron ore for the other khanates - they have to trade for it or use the iron grass as you've devised. Thoughts?
Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Ethengarian metallurgy

Postby Justinov » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Gecko wrote:Ok, I read up a little more on this - and it looks like we are overthing the whole issue

Apparently (again, I'm not a mettallurgist), as long as your not making high purity modern materials science finely controled modern steel, but rather just iron, it doesn't even need smelting! You apparently only need 60% purity, and Magnetite, Hematite, & Geothite (The three most common sources of iron ore) are all greater than 60% iron as-is (72.4%, 69,9%, & 62.9%, respecitevly), and even lower grade iron ore's doesn't need full smelting (again, if your not making high purity steel), at most maybe some simple crushing (like with a hammer) to seperate out the bigger pieces from the Gangue (beneficiation). Of course you still need to get it hot enough to make it plastic (which is less than the melting temperature) for forging (or melt it if your casting it, but then we are back to the same problem as with melting it for smelting)

Historically a lot of iron was acquired from banded iron formations, or more relevant to this discussion, from metalliferous laterite soils derived from mafic (usually, but not solely, igneous) parent rocks, especially serpentinite rocks. While laterite soils are mostly in hot and wet tropic areas, there are noted exceptions - ie The basaltic laterite's of Northern Ireland are noted sources of hematite & goethite. Could there be lateritic soils in Ethengar? I also note that Goethite can be found as gossan iron caps and/or on the bottom of lakes and small creeks. I remember there's those two depressions in Ethengar (one that includes Lake Talkai and Xantha, the other a series of lakes and Chagon-nah) don't those seasonally flood (or at least the lakes expand and the rest becomes swampy)? Perhaps that seasonal inundation has either created laterite OR it could annually expose more Gossan's, thus maybe that's the true secret of the Murkits dominance- their lands are the main sources of higher quality of iron ore for the other khanates - they have to trade for it or use the iron grass as you've devised. Thoughts?

That seems to work perfectly if they could just extract these minerals from chemically weathered basaltic rocks. So had Ethangar volcanism once? [During the Blackmoor event maybe?] Seasonal summer rain paired with heat (monsoon climate) might cause a weathering. [In reality laterite soils takes millions of years to be created, but maybe that could be overlooked]. So laterite soils seems none the less a good possibility.

Bog iron (Danish: Myremalm) that is mostly “goethite“ (rust) was a major iron source in Denmark for centuries, but you have to have real wetlands (in the Iron Age perhaps 25% of Denmark was bog-lands) - seasonal floodings on an other wise dry plain is not be enough.

About gossan: It is a limonite (a mineraloid - amorphous weathering product of other iron ores). It is a low quality iron. Used as pigment in ancient times.

From Wikipedia on limonite: “Before smelting, as the ore was heated and the water driven off, more and more of the limonite was converted to hematite. The ore was then pounded as it was heated above 1250°C,[11] at which temperature the metallic iron begins sticking together and non-metallic impurities are thrown off as sparks. Complex systems developed, notably in Tanzania, to process limonite.[12] Nonetheless, hematite and magnetite remained the ores of choice when smelting was by bloomeries, and it was only with the development of blast furnaces in 1st century BCE in China[13] and about 1150 CE in Europe,[14] that the brown iron ore of limonite could be used to best advantage

Like all your ideas! So laterite soils give good quality iron, but needs the right climate. So limonite heated to convert it to hematite, then hammered (though getting it over 1250 degrees Celcius will again be pretty hard with no charcoal!) to removed impurities would also work.

Otherwise Burning Iron grass to collect pure magnetite might be the alternative for most part of Ethangar and give good iron quality (though not quality steel).

Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby LoZompatore » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 am

Some new plants spotted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

These come from a table in O1 adventure module "The gem and the staff", page 9. Here is the list:

Hemlock bush........Save vs. poison or die (if tasted)
Black poppies........Save vs. poison or die (f smelled)
Thyme........No effect
Ginger........No effect
Foxglove........No effect
White lotus........Save vs. poison or fall asleep (if smelled)
Myrrh........No effect
Frank incense bush........No effect
Belladonna........Save vs. poison or be confused (if tasted)
Catnip........No effect
Anise........No effect
Elderberry bush........No effect
Dragon plant........No effect

To Havard: the list on page 1 still lacks the findings on the 23rd post of the topic (third-to-last on page 1 of this thread - the post is mine :mrgreen: )

Just to improve Mystaran herbalists' knowledge

;)
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby LoZompatore » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Found three more harmless (but scenic) fungi from AC10 module, page 12. Here is their description:

Dark Green Tentacle Mold. This fungi is sensitive to light. The tendrils are strongly connected to the walls and floor. Each of the many hundreds that are in the chamber curl and uncurl menacingly towards the light sources. The fungi is completely harmless.

Brown Puff Balls. Thousands of these grow all over the chamber. They range in size from small one-inch balls on the ceiling to giant four-foot-tall balls all over the floor... There is a 59% chance for each of the party members to touch a puff ball while trying to get from one side to the other. Touched puff balls burst, spewing dusty and harmless brown fungi all over the area.

Slime Fungi. In a wet section of the tunnel is a slimy red mat of fungi. There is no way to avoid touching it; when contacted, the fungi emits a foul but harmless stench.

;)
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Justinov » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:13 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Found three more harmless (but scenic) fungi from AC10 module, page 12. Here is their description:

Dark Green Tentacle Mold. This fungi is sensitive to light. The tendrils are strongly connected to the walls and floor. Each of the many hundreds that are in the chamber curl and uncurl menacingly towards the light sources. The fungi is completely harmless.

Brown Puff Balls. Thousands of these grow all over the chamber. They range in size from small one-inch balls on the ceiling to giant four-foot-tall balls all over the floor... There is a 59% chance for each of the party members to touch a puff ball while trying to get from one side to the other. Touched puff balls burst, spewing dusty and harmless brown fungi all over the area.

Slime Fungi. In a wet section of the tunnel is a slimy red mat of fungi. There is no way to avoid touching it; when contacted, the fungi emits a foul but harmless stench.

;)

These three are really scenic as you describe. Good find!

Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby stanles » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm

There's a lot of mundane (Earth) plants, over 30 of them, in [i]Tortles of the Purple Sage - Part 1[/] in Dragon issue 6. One of them, Cigam, is a new mundane plant.

Cigam is a native plant which, when dried and ground, produces a sparkling powder. In hand-to-hand co,bat, if 1 cn weight of this powder is thrown into a living creature's face, the creature must make a Saving Throw vs. Paralysis or be paralyzed for 1-4 rounds.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Postby Havard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 am

Fairy Ring Mushroom (AC8 p 4): A single mushroom equals a full meal. These are often guarded by Fungoids (AC2).

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Added:
Yew Wood (HWA1)
Barley (HWA1)
Oak (HWA1)
Epiphyte (HWA1)
Spanish Moss (HWA1)
Orchid (HWA1)
Begonia (HWA1)
Fern (HWA1)

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby oleck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:00 am

Interesting information. good job.
oleck
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks Oleck!

Found a few more:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:32 am

Justinov wrote:So the Iron Grass does solve the ore problem, but not the fuel problem.

There are coal beds under the plains of Montana and Illinois. There is no reason there can't be coal on the plains of Ethengar. They might not even need underground mines it if there are exposed seams along the bluffs surrounding the lake depressions. They don't need a great quantity either, as they aren't smelting on an industrial scale.

"Scrap" metal obtained in raids or through trade could be re-worked into new weapons and tools -- it is unlikely iron would be wasted, and rework easier than smelting from ore. But Ethengar is a large area, it is also likely to have multiple areas known for mining raw materials, whether metal ores or coal. I think there is room for all of the above... mining regions, iron grass, metal from raids, coal, charcoal, strange lumps collected from the black sands, etc. Different things would be seen in different regions.
Mike
Ogre

Postby JTrithen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:37 am

Wow. If you're going to include mundane plants, you're going to have some long lists indeed (from all canon sources).

Anyway, here are some more, all from GAZ4....

Mundane

Bamboo
Breadfruit
Coconuts
Coffee beans
Guavas
Hibiscus
"Koa" (a tall, dark-leaved native mahogany)
Orchid
Papayas
Pineapple
Plantains
Sugar cane
Sweet potato
Taro root

There is also a "hairy cat’s ear." It is a rare plant also sought by alchemists, only found in Makalaui Crater. It is a real-life mundane plant. I would assume that since it's sought by alchemists, presumably used in potions or similar concoctions/creations, but even if it's used in a magical concoction, that doesn't mean that the original plant is necessarily magical in nature. That's my opinion.

Two more below.

Silversword (tall column of long, sharp silvery leaves that reflect the sun like mirrors; rare plant sought by alchemists for its virtues in weapon enchantment)
Clawflower (tiny clusters of yellow claw-like flowers; rare plant also sought by alchemists, only found in Makalaui Crater)

Since both are fictional plants, I might consider both of them magical. Since the silversword has "virtues in weapon enchantment," it could be considered a magical plant. It can be detected as magic; but, it doesn't really do anything in its natural state (other than reflect the sun). Only if it is used in enchanting weapons is its magical nature utilized.

The text does not state what the clawflower does. Presumably, again, it would probably be used in potion concoctions. But, since it's a fictional plant, I would just presume it has a magical nature, to keep things simple. (Only if it was a real-life mundane plant would I decide that it's mundane; again, just my opinion.)
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Gecko » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:49 pm

JTrithen wrote:Two more below.

Silversword ...
Clawflower ....

Since both are fictional plants, I might consider both of them magical.

Actually those two are both also real-world plants (or a family of plants in Clawflower's case)
Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Plants of Mystarabuy

Postby JTrithen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 am

Gecko wrote:

Silversword ...
Clawflower ....

Actually those two are both also real-world plants (or a family of plants in Clawflower's case)

Oh, I see that. At least there are RW plants with the same names, but I don't think the descriptions from the GAZ exactly fit the RW plants. Some liberties maybe that were being taken by the GAZ author.
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Ivanos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:16 pm

The different colored magic shrooms from flitterling rings in Blade of Vengeance and AC9.

One color, the orange ones I think, was just equivalent to a meal like the aforementioned fairy ring shrooms, but there were four or five other colors that have magical properties. Cure light wounds, haste, neutralize poison and then one or two others, I believe.

Ivanos
Famous Last Words: "They're just kobolds."
Adventuring Advice: Never take a troll's head home as a trophy...
Ivanos
Goblin

Postby JTrithen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:47 pm

stanles wrote:There's a lot of mundane (Earth) plants, over 30 of them, in Tortles of the Purple Sage - Part 1[/] in Dragon issue 6....

Here is the list from [i]Tortles of the Purple Sage - Part 1 (DUNGEON Magazine #6, p. 48 (minus the cigam that stanles mentioned)....

Allspice
Aniseed
Basil
Bay leaf
Caraway seed
Cardamon
Celery
Chervil
Chili peppers
Cinnamon
Cloves
Coriander
Cumin
Dill
Fennel
Fenugreek
Garlic
Ginger
Mace
Marjoram
Mint
Mustard
Nutmeg
Onion
Oregano
Paprika
Parsley
Pepper
Poppyseed
Rosemary
Sage
Savory
Sesame seed
Tarragon
Thyme
Turmeric

They are all listed as naturally-occurring wild plants, apparently, in this region of the Savage Coast.
JTrithen
Ogre

Re: Plants of Mystarabuy

Postby Gecko » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 am

JTrithen wrote:
Gecko wrote:

Silversword ...
Clawflower ....

Oh, I see that. At least there are RW plants with the same names, but I don't think the descriptions from the GAZ exactly fit the RW plants. Some liberties maybe that were being taken by the GAZ author.

I believe Clawflowers are red, not yellow, but for Silversword's:
Silversword (tall column of long, sharp silvery leaves that reflect the sun like mirrors; rare plant sought by alchemists for its virtues in weapon enchantment)

aside's from the "sought by alchemists for weapon enhancement" bit (obviously), that's a decent description.
ie see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kahuku_silversword2.jpg or
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Argyroxiphium_sandwicense1.jpg
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:24 pm

A few new ones just appeared in my campaign (fan created):

Emerald Weed: This sea plant found in lakes and rivers will add a greenish tint to the water. When mixed with some other plants it can produce magical effects. See Heartberry Bush below.

Heartberry Bush: These small shrubs produce deep red berries. They are found in rugged hill landscapes. When mixed in a concoction with Emerald Weed, they can be used to create healing potions.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Previous

Return to Mystara