Plants of Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Plants of Mystara

Postby Havard » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Has anyone compiled a list of Mystara's more unusual plants?

Here is what I have so far:

Gaz13 wrote:Fungi
The shadow elves have documented over 200 species of fungi in the fungal forests, but only a minority of these are of importance. These are the following:

Darksnap: These are dangerous and considered under Monsters below, but are still prized by the shadow elves because giant slugs have a taste for them.

Fairy Ring Mushroom (AC8 p 4): A single mushroom equals a full meal. These are often guarded by Fungoids (AC2).

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Plants of Mystara

Postby Sturm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Useful list.
I'd say that intelligent beings like Gakaraks, Treants, Fungoids and maybe Dusanu too come straight from the remote past of Mystara.
Other magical plants could be instead the result of more recent magical accidents, or creations of hags, crones and dark fairies...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:46 pm

I think there is also the Gargonan Rose, mentioned in the Savage Coast MCA.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:44 pm

agathokles wrote:I think there is also the Gargonan Rose, mentioned in the Savage Coast MCA.

Cool,
I have added that and the following from Gaz10:

Gargonan Rose (SCMCA)
Foodshroom (Gaz10)
Badshroom (Gaz10)
Futpuff (Gaz10)
Rokstolk (Gaz10)
Fireshroom (Gaz10)
Rustlemoss (Gaz10)
Darksnap (Gaz10)
Gooberry (Gaz10)
Oozeshroom (Gaz10)
Wogar's Cup (Gaz10)
Weepin' Fungi (Gaz10)
Biggiz (Gaz10)

Also added the Zzonga Bush from DotE.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby LoZompatore » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Maybe a few more fungi are listed in the shadow elves gazeteer and in the section about graakhalia in Champions of Mystara module.
For sure do not forget the Cestian Gobbler and the Guardian Trees of Ulimwengu in VotPA.
Moreover: IIRC the phyrithians of Emerond use some kind of vegetable (for building armors?)
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:11 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Maybe a few more fungi are listed in the shadow elves gazeteer and in the section about graakhalia in Champions of Mystara module.

Good call, found these in the SE Gaz:

Gaz13 wrote:Fungi
The shadow elves have documented over 200 species of fungi in the fungal forests, but only a minority of these are of importance. These are the following:
Blackspore: These "traditional" mushroom-shaped fungi produce heavy black spores which are valued as flavoring and in preparing <trania>, the preserved food of the shadow elves.
Darksnap: These are dangerous and considered under Monsters below, but are still prized by the shadow elves because giant slugs
have a taste for them.
Lermon: This medium-size fungus, when young is the standard food supply for giant slugs; older, bigger plants are too tough and of poor nutritional value.
Pearldew: This fungus has a hollow, pitcher-like stem and a rimmed, gilled cap at the top. It exudes a sweet sap into the
pitcher and, if this can be found fresh, the stem can be "tapped" (like rubber tapping) and the sap slowly drawn off. A single plant
(only small ones, up to 6-8 feet, give good sap) can yield up to 1d6 pints of this sap. The sap is useful as slug food, as a sealant
or glue if reduced by gentle simmering, and is part of the secret recipe used by spider hunters in their business. It is also used in
the preparation of skinwing oil, the substance used for rubbing down skinwings at the stables.
Shaman: One small capped fungus has a pattern of pendulous gills which appear vaguely like the mark of the shaman. This edible fungus is greatly prized and is always given to the temple for the shamans to eat. Discovery of a significant cluster of these rare fungi is taken as a good omen.
Strider Fungus: This huge fungus is known to the orcs by the name of "Biggiz" (see GAZ10 <The Orcs of Thar>). The shadow elves
call it strider fungus because of the amazing growth rate of this huge flat-top fungus compared with most other species. One fanciful
tale told to children was that the fungi could walk, and moved around when no one was looking. It was the only way to explain how
it suddenly appeared, as it seemed to the elves. The Strider Fungus is important because of its thick and fibrous hollow trunk. This is
used in cheap, temporary constructions around the cities (not inside them) and in the poorer shadow-elf communities.
Trania: This name is given to the staple food fungi of the shadow elves as a generic, as well as to the prepared food they
make from it. There is a difference in the way the two nouns are intoned, however, with the name of the fungus pronounced with the
emphasis on the "tra," whereas the food is referred to with the emphasis on the "nee" syllable.

Will be adding the above. I like that we have more standardized names than the ones found in Gaz10.

LoZompatore wrote:For sure do not forget the Cestian Gobbler and the Guardian Trees of Ulimwengu in VotPA.
Moreover: IIRC the phyrithians of Emerond use some kind of vegetable (for building armors?)

Cestian Gobbler and Guardian Tree addded! I also added the Stolari (Cactus Folk of the Adri Varma). I believe that these were proposed by Bruce in VotPA or on the forums...?

I dont recall vegetable armor for the Emerondians, but I could be misremembering? I do recall them using giant insects as mounts...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:58 pm

Sturm wrote:Useful list.
I'd say that intelligent beings like Gakaraks, Treants, Fungoids and maybe Dusanu too come straight from the remote past of Mystara.
Other magical plants could be instead the result of more recent magical accidents, or creations of hags, crones and dark fairies...

Hey Sturm! Thanks! Didnt mean to ignore your input by the way. I had not really thought about their origins. I like these ideas. Gaz13 suggests that the elves and Shadowelves have also had a hand in developing the various fungi. Gaz5 pretty much says the same about surface plants.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 am

The Handmaiden Petra makes use of the lycanthropic transformation properties of the moonflower (from PC4 p.63). Thorn mentions stranglethorn, also known as bloodbriar, a carnivorous plant akin to the vampire rose. It is not stated out, merely mentioned as a potentially lethal hazard.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 pm

RobJN wrote:The Handmaiden Petra makes use of the lycanthropic transformation properties of the moonflower (from PC4 p.63). Thorn mentions stranglethorn, also known as bloodbriar, a carnivorous plant akin to the vampire rose. It is not stated out, merely mentioned as a potentially lethal hazard.

Cool. I placed the Moonflower under the magical plants category? Not sure if that would be correct?

Maybe we can have a separate list for fan created plants. Feel free to share more of those!

I also added a few from Blackmoor. Not sure if everyone considers all of those sources official, but I have listed the sources so you can see for yourselves.

Also added to the list are the Ashmorain Fruits from HWA2. IIRC they aren't all necessarily fruits and they can have any effect based on the potions table, but I didn't want to create an entry for each of those...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby mister c » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:33 am

Killer Trees are mentioned in X6
mister c
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Havard wrote:Hey Sturm! Thanks! Didnt mean to ignore your input by the way. I had not really thought about their origins. I like these ideas. Gaz13 suggests that the elves and Shadowelves have also had a hand in developing the various fungi. Gaz5 pretty much says the same about surface plants.
-Havard

Nevermind, origins will indeed be different, probably, from plant to plant to are a little beyond the scope of the list.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 pm

mister c wrote:Killer Trees are mentioned in X6

Thanks! I believe they are in AC9 as well, so thanks for catching that one! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm

More fan created Mystara plants via the Mystara Reborn group on Facebook:

Dan Reeder wrote: I wrote this years ago:
"Scarlet Water Lillie Root"
Swamp Gut is slightly more insidious and is caused by the ingestion of small parasitic creatures that live in the water of Malpheggi Swamp. Only the very clearest streams and springs are free of these parasites, which are too small to see with normal vision. The parasites begin to eat there host from the inside until cured. Symptoms are severe abdominal pain & cramping, vomiting blood and violent bloody bowel movements. Cure disease spell or procuring and eating the rare Scarlet Water Lillie root are the only known ways of killing the internal parasites. Boiling swamp water before consumption will kill the parasites and make the water safe to drink.

CAUSE & EFFECT
Drinking Swamp Water Fortitude Check [DC20] or become infected. [1 ROLL PER STOP/AREA] Fail Fortitude Check
(infected-Parasitic creature) - [1D10] Damage every 24hrs
Notes: The Scarlet Water Lillie is one of the deepest growing of these aquatic plant types. The name comes from the plant in late summer when these
rare lillies bloom, producing the brilliant scarlet colors. The rest of the year they are green and resemble many other common lillies. The rootof the lillie has the only curative powers of the plant. It must be dived for and cut out. Pulling on the surface exposed part of the plant will only snap it off above the important roots.

Pol Llaunas wrote: In Antalia and northern regions of Iciria (Hollow World) I created "cold treants": simply like treants but a bit more resistant to cold (+4 SV, -1hp per dice if cold damage), more gregarious (they tend to go in groups with a leader) and usually Evil or Neutral Evil. They avoid warmer climates. They actively hate Brutemen and Antalians and other humanoid that need wood.

Keep more official and fan created plants coming! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Great list, Havard! And quite useful too. I'll probably utilize it in the near future.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby JTrithen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:44 am

Starblooms, from OS2 ("Blade of Vengeance"), p. 8:
'Starblooms... are small flowers that grow only
in the Emerlas. They flower only at night.
During daylight they appear as dead and
shrivelled flowers. At night they are won-
drous to behold. Each flower resembles a
glowing star, the blooms consist of points
of light which twinkle in the breeze.'
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby LoZompatore » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 am

Found the note about the Emerondian vegetal fibre used for armors and weapons (from VotPA part 13):

Emerondians grow a special steel-like vegetable fiber from which they produce armor or blades. Amply curved lines and deadly thorns are typical of these pieces of equipment. The color of the fibers varies from tan to dark brown. A common sort of Emerondian armor provides AC 5 (AC 4 with a shield), while blades are equivalent
to the Known World's normal swords.
Both types of equipment generate half the encumbrance of comparable metal weapons for the same strength. If ever sold, they would cost five times the price of metal gear because of the time needed to grow the fibers and the amount of work needed to fashion them.
Emerondians have mastered a special fighting technique that makes ample use of the thorns on their armor and on their blades.

Did you alread mention the Giant Serpentweed and the Strangle Vine from Champions of Mystara (Explorer's Manual, page 59)?
On the same module, on page 27, end of the first column, mutated carnivorous trees living in the depths of Graakhalia are hinted (but not described).

My two cents!

;)
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby LoZompatore » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 am

Found other 3-4 vegetables/herbs mentioned in the Son of Dawn novel.
In the following the relevant excerpts, I highlighted the name of the plant:

Dav picked the leaves of a pale green plant struggling to grow in the salt rimed vegetation that edged the sand. He held them up for her to see. "This is canredwaith. It reduces fever. It doesn't grow in cold climates"

Lavera... it's good for healing inflammations.

Now's the time to see if the herbs you've been gathering will do their job... Dav got out two small metal bowls they used for cooking and eating. In the first, he crushed lavera and canredwaith, and in the second he carefully placed three whole leaves of tothiel...
"Those whole leaves are the ones for drawing out poisons"...
"You can remember tothiel another way" Dav said "See how the five lobes resemble a hand? It's called the healing hand of Chardastes.

HeyYou (a gyerian) found a clump of bushes loaded with wild ardor berries, a favorite of gyerians, and spent the afternoon filling his pack with the delicacies.

On a later note, in the novel Dragon's Tomb (Penhaligon Trilogy Vol 2) there is also this reference to "vail-vine" (what could possibly be?) used to create a magical amulet with truth-seeing powers. Vail-vine fluid itself seems to be a truth serum:

She'd arranged three vail-vine leaves, cast them in copper and then enshrined the leaves inside the pale heart of the original vail-vine mother plant. Over the years she'd brushed the charm with a mixture concocted of concentrated vail-vine fluid, ther powerful truth serums, and substances she'd long since forgotten. The mother vail-vine eventually encased the amulet with woody plant growth, and Karleah had all but forgotten about it. Then, one day, she'd come across a strange, tuberous growth on the vine. She removed it, and inside found the charm, now the essence of a vail vine's power. But the amulet was attained at a cost; the mother vine died.

My 5 cents! :mrgreen:
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:23 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Found other 3-4 vegetables/herbs mentioned in the Son of Dawn novel.
In the following the relevant excerpts, I highlighted the name of the plant:

Dav picked the leaves of a pale green plant struggling to grow in the salt rimed vegetation that edged the sand. He held them up for her to see. "This is canredwaith. It reduces fever. It doesn't grow in cold climates"

Lavera... it's good for healing inflammations.

Now's the time to see if the herbs you've been gathering will do their job... Dav got out two small metal bowls they used for cooking and eating. In the first, he crushed lavera and canredwaith, and in the second he carefully placed three whole leaves of tothiel...
"Those whole leaves are the ones for drawing out poisons"...
"You can remember tothiel another way" Dav said "See how the five lobes resemble a hand? It's called the healing hand of Chardastes.

HeyYou (a gyerian) found a clump of bushes loaded with wild ardor berries, a favorite of gyerians, and spent the afternoon filling his pack with the delicacies.

On a later note, in the novel Dragon's Tomb (Penhaligon Trilogy Vol 2) there is also this reference to "vail-vine" (what could possibly be?) used to create a magical amulet with truth-seeing powers. Vail-vine fluid itself seems to be a truth serum:

She'd arranged three vail-vine leaves, cast them in copper and then enshrined the leaves inside the pale heart of the original vail-vine mother plant. Over the years she'd brushed the charm with a mixture concocted of concentrated vail-vine fluid, ther powerful truth serums, and substances she'd long since forgotten. The mother vail-vine eventually encased the amulet with woody plant growth, and Karleah had all but forgotten about it. Then, one day, she'd come across a strange, tuberous growth on the vine. She removed it, and inside found the charm, now the essence of a vail vine's power. But the amulet was attained at a cost; the mother vine died.

My 5 cents! :mrgreen:

Great finds! I love that we are getting to add more non-monstrous plants to the list. Should these be considered magical plants or mundane ones though?

I also added the Somnastis Plant from the Hollow World boxed set to the list. Thanks to Dek Shari for pointing out that one via Facebook.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby JTrithen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 pm

LoZompatore, your ability to study and regurgitate so much of the detailed lore from the published materials on Mystara is nothing short of amazing.

Also, the Sentinel Trees of Alfheim:

Variety of giant oak that grows to a height of 200 to 400 feet with relatively small branches from a single trunk (GAZ 5, p. 16).
Timber is harvested from these trees for one of the elven methods of tree-house construction (p. 17).
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby LoZompatore » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:25 am

Great finds! I love that we are getting to add more non-monstrous plants to the list. Should these be considered magical plants or mundane ones though?

I'd say that ardor berries are mundane plants as they are a food source for gyerians. Maybe also Lavera and canredwaith could be considered mundane plants, giving their bland healing effects similar to other real world herbs.

Vale-vine is for sure a magical plant, and maye also tothiel could be considered magical, if not for the reference to the Immortal Chardastes.

I noticed you included also yellow mold in the list. I do not recall it: is it described as a fungus in the Rules Cyclopedia? Why not including also the black pudding and the other oozes?

By the way, in GAZ 8 there is also this description of a green slime:

Green Slime: This variety of slime limpet flows over rock walk like an amoeba. It senses warmth at a range of 120 feet. Cavedelvers know it as the slime that drops from high ceilings onto unwary victims. Gnomes and kobolds cultivate it as a food source for domestic animals.

Could it be considered a vegetable/fungus?

LoZompatore, your ability to study and regurgitate so much of the detailed lore from the published materials on Mystara is nothing short of amazing.

LOL! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thanks a lot, JTrithen! Anyway, most of this "skill" come from the "find word" functionality of the browser or the PDF wiever / text editor. A few years ago I copied on text files the most interesting details of most modules and supplements, so it is way easier to find them and call them back if needed. ;) It does not always work, though. :mrgreen:
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby JTrithen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:31 pm

LoZompatore wrote:By the way, in GAZ 8 there is also this description of a green slime:

Green Slime: This variety of slime limpet flows over rock walk like an amoeba. It senses warmth at a range of 120 feet. Cavedelvers know it as the slime that drops from high ceilings onto unwary victims. Gnomes and kobolds cultivate it as a food source for domestic animals.

Could it be considered a vegetable/fungus?

I would say not, since "the term "limpet" is purely informal, a term of convenience; it refers to any gastropod whose shell has no obvious coiling such as one sees in familiar garden snails or in winkles." (From Wikipedia, and confirmed with other sources, too.)
So, it's more of an animal-like creature, rather than plant-like. Though it is a source of food, obviously. I love discovering new species or spins on original creatures unique to Mystara and/or BECMI/OD&D, that help to flesh out and add more depth to the campaign world.

Here's another interesting find:

What about the "crystal trees" mentioned in GAZ3 (page 81, in the adventures of Wilbur Raknarod).

Quotes (from GAZ3):
"... we were looking for the crystal trees, up there in the glaciers [of the Colossus Mounts]....
... they agreed to deliver saplings of the crystal trees in Lhamsa, whenever we would need them."

That is all the information we have on them.
They are not described to be specifically vegetative in nature. But, I would consider them definitely magical.
Since it's described that there are saplings that can be obtained from them, they seem plant-like.
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Justinov » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Almost all plants and fungi described are special and rare, if not “monstrous“.
I guess it is just assumed that normal plant life is like our world like ordinary animals.

Could be interesting to do something on the “normal“ plant life of Mystara, that still could be vastly different from our world.
Anyone ever took on that challenge?
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Postby LoZompatore » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:34 pm

A few more vegetables found in various modules. Some of them are not named, but I suppose they could be included in the list for the interesting properties they have.

1) VotPA, part 3, Bolas of Sunlight description. I suppose it is possible to introduce at least three different plants from what is written below:

The two first jars contain two volatile substances which, when mixed, produce a blinding flash. The third jar contains a glowing adhesive that retains its properties for 1d6 rounds after being exposed to the air... The substances used in the bolas are extracted from various plants growing on the Isle of Cestia and are not magical

2) VotPA, part 13, the Unrah, an Emerondian beverage made from tree sap (we could assume the tree has the same name):

We sat next to a small fountain with Lord Verdlin and his wife, Lady Gruneel. She had her servants bring unrah, the local brew, a sweet, fermented tree sap of which we all partook.

3) VotPA, part 26, herbs used to protect from the amber lotus effects:

Croche-Patte had brought a set of herbal masks to protect us from the effects of the Plain of Dreams amber lotuses... Croche-Patte's herbal masks were drying
up. The substance in the herbs protected us less and less from the sleeping effects of the amber lotuses.

4) Original B3 module, page 8 (also described in detail on page 28): the purple moss

The purple moss (AC 9, HD 1, hp 3, #AT 1, D sleep gas MV 9’/3’, Save F1, ML 12) is a type of plant that thrives on moisture and flesh. The sweet smell the party has detected is a sleeping gas produced by the plant. Once the victim is asleep the moss will quickly cover the body and devour it in less than an hour. It then hides the bones of its dinner by covering them and soon they become indistinguishable from any other normal mound of moss. Each player will have to make a successful save vs. Spells in order to avoid being affected by the sleep gas. The purple moss cannot be harmed except by normal or magical fire.

5) Original B3 module, page 20 (also described in detail on page 28), the Jupiter blood sucker:

Two deadly plants now inhabit this plush garden, a Jupiter blood sucker (AC 5, HD 3, hp 18, #AT 1, D 1-6 + blood drain, MV 9’ (3’), Save F3, ML 12, AL N) with 6 vines, one of which is wrapped around the statue, and 8 archer bushes... The Jupiter blood sucker will move towards its intended victim, wrap itself around him or her and place one of its giant leaves over the victim’s face, thus smothering the victim while inserting its needle sharp thorns to drain the victim’s blood.

6) Original B3 module, page 29: Anterian Brandy. As brandy is basically distilled wine, maybe we could introduce an Anterian grapevine plant to Mystara...

Anterian Brandy: A heavenly drink made by dwarves skilled in the art of brewing. The secret of how Anterian Brandy is made is guarded as though it were worth a fortune in gold. Since it is made by dwarves, it is natural for all dwarves to love this cobalt blue, naturally cool, sweet-smelling liquor. Once tasted, the drinker finds that he or she has become addicted to it, won’t sell it and does his or her best to find some more. Only elves are not affected by its habit-forming flavor, but will drink it anyway to enjoy the delicious taste. Many an elf has drunk a stout, heartydrinking dwarf under the table.
The first ounce will cause the drinker to fall into a drunken stupor. After recovering from the first drink, the consumer can slowly begin to drink additional amounts of brandy before overdoing. After successfully drinking a gallon of the brew, the drunken stupors will cease, and the drinker will be able to enjoy this elixir as if it were a normal brandy.

7) B8 module, Journey to the Rock: rainbow-colored trees in the cavern of the chamaleon men (shall we call them chamaleon trees?)

The floor of the cavern is filled with many different kinds of vegetable growth, from mushrooms as tall as houses to rainbow-colored trees that touch the very ceiling of the cavern.

8) Dungeon Magazine #1 "The Elven Home" D&D adventure, an elvish beer made from berries very effective on elves but not on humans:

The sweet, dark liquid, no stronger than beer, has no magical properties. The elves brew small pots of it at a time using various berries from nearby bushes. Although the brew has little effect on human characters, elves-are greatly effected by even small amounts (-2 to hit for 1-4 hours as a result of drinking a mug of the stuff).
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby JTrithen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:41 am

LoZompatore wrote:
.... 2) VotPA, part 13, the Unrah, an Emerondian beverage made from tree sap (we could assume the tree has the same name):

We sat next to a small fountain with Lord Verdlin and his wife, Lady Gruneel. She had her servants bring unrah, the local brew, a sweet, fermented tree sap of which we all partook.....

.... 6) Original B3 module, page 29: Anterian Brandy. As brandy is basically distilled wine, maybe we could introduce an Anterian grapevine plant to Mystara...

Anterian Brandy: A heavenly drink made by dwarves skilled in the art of brewing. The secret of how Anterian Brandy is made is guarded as though it were worth a fortune in gold. Since it is made by dwarves, it is natural for all dwarves to love this cobalt blue, naturally cool, sweet-smelling liquor. Once tasted, the drinker finds that he or she has become addicted to it, won’t sell it and does his or her best to find some more. Only elves are not affected by its habit-forming flavor, but will drink it anyway to enjoy the delicious taste. Many an elf has drunk a stout, heartydrinking dwarf under the table.
The first ounce will cause the drinker to fall into a drunken stupor. After recovering from the first drink, the consumer can slowly begin to drink additional amounts of brandy before overdoing. After successfully drinking a gallon of the brew, the drunken stupors will cease, and the drinker will be able to enjoy this elixir as if it were a normal brandy.

.... 8) Dungeon Magazine #1 "The Elven Home" D&D adventure, an elvish beer made from berries very effective on elves but not on humans:

The sweet, dark liquid, no stronger than beer, has no magical properties. The elves brew small pots of it at a time using various berries from nearby bushes. Although the brew has little effect on human characters, elves-are greatly effected by even small amounts (-2 to hit for 1-4 hours as a result of drinking a mug of the stuff).

Excellent finds (again)!

And, the 3 above items can be added to the lists of beverages of Mystara, too, at:
http://pandius.com/drinkskw.html
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Robin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:05 pm

I compiled all plants of D&D together in Monster Manual chapter Lowlife.
With the help of Justinov, they have been finished last year.
It is posted on Pandius.
As an illustration rich PDF document.
Here a link
http://pandius.com/mnstrmnl.html
Please let me know what you think about it.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Next

Return to Mystara