1 Mile Hex Mapping

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Robin
Storm Giant

Re: 1 Mile Hex Mapping

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Just an idea
based on Heldann Freeholds limited material canon (and even fanon)
and this source of information

https://streetsofsalem.com/2011/10/24/german-witches/
What if like in late Germany the Heldann Knight ordained that magic-users are a threat to the Faith of Vanya and the Heldann State.
It might be triggered that the more powerful and thus mostly more solitude mages and witches have great impact on the thoughts of freedom in the local populace (even when not aware they are mages) as they are mostly the highest of intelligence.
Together with the Day(s) of Dread, The Wrath of the immortals events, The Ethengar Invasions, The Heldann Assault on the Ethengars/Broken Lands and helping the Western Defense League in the Great War and thereafter, this could well have ingnited a great dissentment against Hakomon, Witches, Mages, Seers and Sages, as they all might speak against the Heldann Knights and their rule or even speak of freedom or worse incenting revolt....or even speak of prophecies foretelling the downfall of the Heldann knights...or how to...something absolutely rejected/objected and assaulted by the Order.
A 'good' counter idea of the Heldannic Order is to accuse the mages, witches alike of all things going wrong, and that they attempt to keep control over 'Their" nation, mate with demons and attempt to call in similar evil...at least that nonsense rumour would be spread with ease.
As the region was originally canon a bunch of Freeholds--aka seperate little nations(mostly no more than a barony in size) working together, before the Heldann Knight under the wing of Vanya took over with force and a very very strict rule...
As the link above speaks of 17.000 to 26.000 executions in germany in a period of 50 years (trier in as many as 1000 executions between 1581 and 1593=12 years=100 each year), and the Heldann Knights rule since 995AC???....a similar number (1000) of Mystara -Heldann witch/mage/hakomon/shaman/wicca Exections might have taken place.(not counting the extermination attempts of all humanoids).

I could not find anything disapproving this suggestion, actually indirectly (way of acting in and after the Great War by the Heldannic Order) only to support it.

what's your idea on this??
I could use this to create specific regional descriptions in the general area between Ethengar/Heldann---where witches/mages try to hide an doing exactly what the knight tell, trying to spur the thought of freedom(and revolt) as an underground movement, and the Heldannic Order speaks of Basphemic rituals, bestialities (with dispicabble humanoids) and vile stinking Ethengars, or even worse (demons are suggested to frighten the populace)
like based on this art-

All responses are welcome
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Well it has to be considered the Heldanns allied with Glantri, a nation of wizards.. on the other hand, they do not seem to care much about Glantri outlawing clerics, so the alliance seem rather opportunistic.
Or maybe the alliace established that Glantri would allow clerics of Vanya and the Heldanns would allow in their lands Glantrian wizards..
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Ethengar North
Here in detail; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -780327662
12-01-2019; Finished the tedious labour of creating the Sea of Flower Cliffs. Now it can be clearly seen there are many ways to enter the Sea of Flowers; easy grassy ones (hills or flat) allowing normal speed down and 2/3rd up, or broken land ones with a speed reduced to 1/2 going down, and to 1/4 going up, with the additional risk of harming the legs of your mount at 10% ever mile (half if known the area), not counting the vermin/humanoids/monsters which might roam nearby in caves or on these cliffs.
The western side of these cliffs has a secion called; Böögiin suudal (Seat of the Shaman) here Shaman reside in the caves for contemplation, meditation and even Atonement. They use the undeep caves(no more than 30' deep and not connecting) they created in ages past to view the Hakomon location in the Sea of Flowers and the magical lights it spreads. These they attempt to read to ascern to will of the Immortals and omens of the future.

Added detail in Heldann along the 2nd source river of the Streel(name still unknown(so suggestions are more than welcome)...however the valley it flows through is known Bolor Khavtsal(Ethengerian), Kristalschlucht (Heldann) Crystal Canyon(Thyatian) after this example here;
Even the name of the canyon seems to bring life. nice. The pictures make it even much more interesting, hence I did the same with the map.
The canyon is an effect of the elevation of the Rise of the Ethengar Plateaux and the breaking of the Heldann section while rising. Not only created this effects cliffs in the hills but also a wide canyon (100 to 800 yard wide with the north side an average 20 to 60 feet in height and the southern side an average 70 to 120 feet in height, making it possible to look down on the northern side and unable to do the same reversed.

I also fixed the Overlap issues with the Ethengar NW map and the Ethengar South Map.

Sturm wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Well it has to be considered the Heldanns allied with Glantri, a nation of wizards.. on the other hand, they do not seem to care much about Glantri outlawing clerics, so the alliance seem rather opportunistic.
Or maybe the alliace established that Glantri would allow clerics of Vanya and the Heldanns would allow in their lands Glantrian wizards..
Ok. I knew the temporary alliance in the Great War... basically due the Black Plague roaming in Glantri. It however originated in the Heldann Freeholds, so it might be Vanya send clerics and a political agenda to prevent seer from becoming right and the Blame is put on Heldann. The agreement not killing but accepting Clerics (with legally restricted and registered powers and still a prohibition to spread the faith), might indeed have a similar value in Heldann where Glantrian mages (only) are no longer put to gallows, guillotine, firestack, impalement pole, or local river with bound arms and hands as long as they are identifiable as being such (probably by wearing a large adderstone=large stone with natural hole within) around their neck all the time and like in Glantri allowed only casting under guidance of a Cleric of Vanya (who in Heldann thus carries the Spellbook of the mage and has read /studied it in detail).
I say temporary...like as you suggested the alliance was only political based, and no interest was revealed by the Heldann Order (and it might its populace might fear the Glantrian (Evil as being told by the Order) mages. Just like The Glantrians prefer the Clericism of the Heldann to move out and away (yet still rely on their magic to heal and divine)...So one way or another...I think the alliance is indeed very limited. Also imagine Glantrian mages are frowned upon(or sometimes worse) in Rockhome, chased-out or killed in Ylaruam and Ethengar, so only the northeastern section has some contact with Heldann and even that is a silent quarter...I also think the Glantrian mages would have as much interest in Heldannn as they have in Glantri...political gain only...and some spying/theft/research/conspiracy

So enough for today; Tonight I am dancing till the sun rises(or a little beyond ;))...and tomorrow I will be a zombie.
ImageImage
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Ethengar South
The research continues
Ok again to the weird Chagon Nah detail map on the back of the Ethengar Hex map.
The large Scale hex map reveals as explained earlier a vast lake, and the description in the Gazetteer explains canonnically
spring large lakes form here, and as spring gives way to summer, the lakes begin to dry up, leaving many small lands surrounded by small lakes and ponds.
I had earlier pondered(see hereviewtopic.php?f=3&t=15023&start=225#p221036) on this, and here I had placed both maps into each other on the same scale, and now with your help I have updated this map with all information gained from all sources canon and fanon and geological and fluidal...yes you have to look in enlarge view as the tiny court map almost dissapears in the enlarged 8 mile hex map.Image (see here the original; https://sta.sh/02acdeu4d1rj)

To enable the Krandai AND the Hrap flowing through this tienymieny section of the map while the large lake absorbes the Hrap on the 8 mile hex map much earlier is foolish to continue to keep, especially as it plows through higher grassland on the courtmap.
Secondly the description in the Gazetteer 12 (Golden Khan of Ethengar) says "small islands surrounded by small lakes and ponds are formed in the summer". This means the spring water dries up, leaving behind ponds and lakes which are connected to eacxhother creating small islands.

To make the court map as fitting as possible cannically it is best to assume within these lakes are the small islands used in the Court map and an arm of the Kranday River flows through the large lake where the islands are displayed as being the courtmap. As such the Hrap can be fully disregarded being only a small wet area between the Southwest Island and the Southeast island. And the corner of the Krandai entering the map can best be seen as wetlands (where the earthen pass is now a board on poles path similar to the bridges), and the northern section of the map is then the main Lake.
I did this in my 1 mile Hex map of the region, look where the Krandai River enters Lake Chagon https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -763936216
I now readjusted the Chagon-Nah Court map of the to reflect these minor, yet still important changes...see here; Court-of-Golden-Khan-at-Chagon-Nah-Readjusted-781279744

The designers of the Hes and detail maps clearly did not work together, and still it is also weird to see the designers of the 8 mile hex map named the only one of the smaller lakes (Lake Balbak)and not the main lake nor the other...ok The large lake might be assumed the Chagon-Nah description is not only the name of the Depression in which the lakes happen to bee, and the head of the summer location of the Court of the Goldfen Khan, but also as the name of the Main Lake, yet this feels weird, as too much locations are named equal...as such I deem it best the Laker is called ;Nuur Chagon (which is Mongolian(as such best Ethengar) for Chagon Lake.
Within this lake several more arms of the Krandai River will pass through as can be seen in my 1 mile hex map too
The second smaller lake I decided to name after the nearby battle; 'Nuur Kiyatida"

Hope yáll like it

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:01 pm

As my research continues I discovered that the Description of the Chagon-Nah and Sea of Flowers region vary Greatly per season,

Here the Quotes from the Gaz 10 Golden Khan of Ethengar I used to determine the seasonal effects on this series of maps (hexes are here 8 mile).
The high altitude of the steppes subjects them to extremes of temperature. In the sun withers the grass and the winds whip stinging dust into the air. In winter, snow and ice are common companions and fierce, icy winds howl across the land.
For the four months of winter, the steppes are swept by cold, byting winds that blow of the Colossuss Mounts in Glantri, threatening to throw riders from their mounts and send Yurts tumbling across the icy wastes.
In spring, the ice melts and flowers and new shoots poke through the ground. It is with the Spring Thaw that the ethengars resume their nomadic wandering after settling in one Place to wait out the deprivations of winter.
Summer brings four months of an intense sweltering heat that withers the grasses and causes the rivers and ponds to grow shallow. It is during summer that the Ethengars are forced to travel almost constantly in search of grazing lands to keep their herds fed. summertime temperatures rarely fall below 70degrees F, except during the night when clear skies, altitude, and biting winds combine to cause the temperature to plummet.
During autumn, the summer heat slowly gives way to frequent rainstorms that enable the parched grasses to push up new shoots before finally being covereed by the winter frosts. During the first month of autumn, the Ethengars gather their herds, and clans join together5 to prepare for the approaching winter (Gaz 12 page 6)

Sea of Flowers
Here the steppes enter a sheltered depression from the worst ravages of the winds. The Sea of Flowers is is the most fertile part of the steppes as this area is well irrigated by water flowing from the higher land surrounding it.
In spring, this reggion is covered with the many colorful flowers that give it its name. Lake Talkai forms in the Spring Months from Water flowing into the Sea of Flowers and attracts large numbers of birds and game.
In summer the grasses, although protected from the scorching winds, are subjected to high temperatures that turn the Sea of Flowers into a land of Yellow Grass. Lake Talkai dries up and fine grasses grow on its damp bed.
In Spring and Autumn, the Court of the Golden Kahn van be seen stretching across the southern part of the Sea of Flowers.
In winter the Court is in Bargha.

Chagon-Nah
Around the junction of the Hrap and
Krandai river, the land is wet and waterlogged, with large expanses of water lying between the confluence of the three(not two) rivers.
In spring large lakes (and waterlogged wetlands) form here from the meltwaters cascading down from the Makkres Mountains.
As spring gives way to summer, the lakes begin to dry up, leaving many small lands surrounded by small lakes and ponds. Great Numbers of Trees and Bushes grow here in the fertile soil, making it and the surrounding plains a popular place for birds and other animals to gather. The normal wetness of the climate helps to keep Chagon-Nah cool and full of wildlife of all descriptions.
The Great Khan's court arrives in the summer, and the pavilions of the Golden Khan are pitched on a few selected islands, and craftsmen
construct bridges over the lakes and ponds to connect the islands of the court together.

The Rivers
...Shallow, Broad, and Slow flowing ...follow the downward tilt of the land to join the Streel River before turning south into the Broken Lands.
Summer travel; Shallow-bottom barges propelled by sails ar by paddles at the stern of the barge.
In winter the rivers freeze over , transforming them into natural highways for the Ethengars. Do not expects flat ice planes....as a frozen river is breaking and refreezing continuously until it is an irregular top layer over the still flowing water underneath. any travel over it must be done with care, until a vast layer of snow covers it.

Court
After wintering at Bargha with the Murkit tribe, the court moves to Xantha on the Sea of Flowers. The majority of the Murkitt clans begin to follow their herds moving away from the court at this point. 96 mile trip takes 9 to 10 days of travel(in book 70 miles which after measauring is incorrect--even the shortest route is longer=12 hexes)
The court stays at Xantha for two months before moving southeast to Chagon-Nah. 130 mile trip takes 12 to 13 days of travel
Not all the court moves during this journey, for the Golden Khan returns to Xantha in the Autumn. The Golden Khan stays at Chagon-Nah until the beginning of Autumn when he returns to Xantha.130 mile trip takes 12 to 13 days of travel
After spending autumn at Xantha, the Golden Khan travels to Bargha where the power of the Hakomons make it a pleasant place to reside in winter.96 mile trip takes 1 week of travel(in book 70 miles which after measauring is incorrect--even the shortest route is longer=12 hexes)they do however keep the travelling time to 15 days, so that does fit perfectly
1 Sviftmont=Autumn (new Year6)
15-22 move to winter site tribe court at Bargha
1 Kaldmont=Winter; court to Bargha
15 court at Bargha
1 Flaurmont=Spring; 16 court to Xantha
1 Yartmont court at Xantha
1 Klarmont=Summer; court to Chagon-Nah
15 court at Chagon-Nah
26 Ambyrmont Court to Xantha
The Blue text is added by me in this source material from Gaz 10 Golden Khan of Ethengar
All this combined into the 8 mile hex we get the following 12 monthly maps for each of these two regions.
Very useful for DM's steering their PC's into Ethengar
Here the map in detail
https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -781523167
Last edited by Robin on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Now I can continue to implement third grade information from these maps to determine more detail to the 1 mile hex maps of these region.

Hope you will like this extra piece of information...let me know, if you see flaws or your opinion

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am

Seasonal maps, wonderful! +10 realism :-)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 am

Sturm wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am
Seasonal maps, wonderful! +10 realism :-)
Thanx....These 24 small maps took 4 days to make and I implemented all canon , but also biological, fluidal,ecological and geological information hinted upon in the canon sources and research/knowledge gives, into one 'fluid' temporal movement...
These are the only areas thus far on the canon maps which have major changes through the seasons; flooding, islands, drought, rivers...all encompassed in one area which alters the the area constantly.
As I tried to make the I mile hex map(s), I bounced on this effect continuously as trying to place everything in one map. Now with these I can calculate the islands formed, determine the maximum and minimum areas of the water more easily. So all these effects will be visible in the 1 mile map eventuall (although even there I will need to go to a minimum of 2 maps of these regions to determine the differences in detail...)
Never expected that a region so boring full of an almost single source (grass) could be thus diverse.
Although it has a heck of research and work to implement all the canon, then all the fanon(mostly this is the historic temporal information), and the bio-, eco-, geo-logical information into these maps.
I like to make these maps, as they continously seem to trigger my brains in working to a real as possible end result. I never expected that even here the end result seems fluid and more real.

I know I am a bit chaotic...jumping from one of the maps to the research to another map section of Ethengar, ...yet hey...understand this area is giganormous...(even the 1hex Alfheim and Broken Lands maps had it problems on making/saving/storing and revealing and had to be split in two to enable visibility t all of you)...so I had to split this huge map into 6 sections (where I created the World Mountain map extra with pictures to help DM's envisioning it).

I think I need a new overview of all these maps I made/am making to help in collecting/clarifying for you all. So this will come up soon.
Last edited by Robin on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Ok as agreed all my maps in one source;
See here in my Blog (it is an older page now updated)
https://breathofmystara.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

I know it is a hefty list, and ven more will come ;P
Enjoy

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Ethengar North
19-01-2019; Today I started implementing the Seasonal research results(see https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -781523167) in the Sea of Flowers,
then I filled in the blank locations,
restored the shifted hexes on the below and on the right of World Mountain,
then I added more detail to World Mountain, implemented the 3050BC structural effects of Sturm's work (Grassdale and the Radiance Line Pillars),
and also the 2300BC work of Chimpman (Kairhyeld),
I also added dead woodlands, these are dead/dried out or petrified trees from before the 1700BC disaster
I feel some more 3050BC minor ruins should exist, yet no larger than a village. Several sources(mostly fanon, but some hints are made canon) spoke of mages after the 1700BC disaster and before the rule of Moglai Khan, which could have either been spies, adventurers, or researchers...eitherway the eventually all left or perished...however, some towers might still exist.
I also added the Symbol for the Dragon Kanistan who actually resides in the ruins of the city Grassdale, yet has hidden lairs in the mountain nearby...hence I placed the Symbol there to improve clarity

ImageWhat can any of you add to this (or inform I am thinking wrong? Any information is helpful
Here the map in detail; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -780327662
The orange creeks/rivers are seasonal, the Dark Blue are permanent, however are toxic (minerals, saline, chemicals or even magical or organic) most of these eventually dry out, or are absorbed into the underground, However, seasonal influences might allow this water reaching the main Krandai River increasing its yield of minerals, the amount of water in the river prevents it from becoming toxic, except where this water enters the river(here the toxicity is mild, and causes severe stomach cramps for 8+1d8 hours unles treated with special herbs, remove poison or similatr which halves the duration (the poison then is gone, the body must heal then naturally).

As can be seen I havent filled in the Hakomon locations around World Mountain originated from the Karghthyne ruins, as I wait for a response of Chimpman, he created these origins after all. So Chimpman, If you read this I have already earlier send you a PM/mail for this. Await a respons. Thanx anyway

Hope you all like it.
Share me your thoughts

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm

World Mountain
Ok with the Ethengar North map World Mountain map had to be updated too.
I created a photomanipulation from the eterniaroleplay wiki and a cave entrance into the portal to the Spirit Realm on top of World Mountain in Ethengar. Here the Hakomon enter the Spirit Realm to bury the dead Khans within as per canon gazetteer 10 Golden Khan of Ethengar.
Together with the map it gives a realistic image of World Mountain. The other pictures on the map are of the Real Life volcano elDonjo Lenghai on which World mountain was based originally, and enhanced this idea by me.
Here the direct links to both
Picture; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -781773326
Map; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -765030823
Please keep in mind the map is still a work in progress and will surely suffer some minor changes later.

Hope You like it.
Have fun...I continue creating

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 am

Ethengar North East
Ok Ethengar Northeast...New map section
20-01-2019 Started with a minior overlap from the Ethengar North map, then scaling the 8 mile hexes so that 8 hexes fit in all 3 axis, then Major hexing, using the hex mastermold (this really helps) and the Legend work hexes, this way is is tedious, but rewarding work to place the general hex information.

Also worked on the geological elevations in Heldann and Vestland to allow a 4000!!+ feet plateaux to be near (only 10 9 to 10 miles) the ocean...cripes...only possible with cliffs and droppings...or mountains...and these last are NOT there as per canon. the cliffs could be a hilldetail as given per canon. Always trying to stay as canon as possible while adding realism and other fan stuff.

Also had to copy and restore the section on the Krandai river as I had not done this original with a hex mastermoldd, so all the hexes were shifted...So that map will receive an update soon (copy paste the section from this map when that section is ready is the easiest)...don't do too much when it can be done easy :halo: :roll:

But alas for 2 days work.Still alot to do, but for the first draw and overall impression, not bad I would think ;P

Here the direct link to view in more detail. as before; these maps are large; click the download button right to view in closeup)
https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -782037337
Any questions, please please ask ;)
Compliments are also very welcome :halo: , yet critics and additions also too :evil: :o

At least Now the base is laid out when Chimpman comes with the 1000AC information I need on the sections he created for the 2300BC setting.
A lot...heck a lot detail will follow the upcoming weeks/months until it is ready as well as the other maps.
So keep your eyes open on the development.

Enjoy meanwhile :mrgreen:

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am

Sometimes I think my mind plays even more evil tricks with me. I had a nighmare where I was wandering in a forest, when suddenly there were only large colored blocks and tiles, with weird blocky (8bit??;) )plants and creatures in front of me. I did not dare to thread further until I then suddenly saw a huge hex shaped platform coming down, and all was becoming a real forest..
As if i was already wandering in the region before it was finished..awkward.. :oops: :shock: :o :evil:
Yet is is typical, I get ideas by mentally walking through the regions I create. In Alfheim I know regions where specific plants grow, in the Broken Lands I wandered in kolland, unnokticed by the many humanoids there. And now in Ethengar I looked up on the cliffs towards the watchtowers of Glantri.
As if I am literally creating a world...weird but also awesome.
Not to bed I go, coming days Real Life bothers me again.
See ya all.
Have fun

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Indeed 1mph maps really give life to any place :)
Wold mountain is great. It should also contain the lair of Khanistar:

http://pandius.com/whoswho.html
"Khanistan: The ruler is Khanistar, a 17-HD blue dragon. Her lair is located on the World Mountain, at the centre of the Land of the Black Sand in eastern Ethengar. Khanistan stretches 80 mikes from there in all directions. Khanistar's lair lies deep inside a tall mountain that is dotted with sinister towers. The towers, built by magic over the centuries, are covered with stone barbs and talons. Minor dragons and other lesser minions occupy these towers, remaining constantly on the watch. Khanistar is a long, coiling, serpent-like wurm, Oriental in style, with large globular eyes and light blue scales. She has no wings but is skilful enough a spell-caster to overcome that limitation. She spent most of her 180 years of life seeking magic. She built an impressive library of rare and ancient spells, including a few abominations dating from Nithia. Khanistar relies heavily on magic manipulation for reaching her goals. Khanistar is famous among dragons for using pocket dragons as spies or messengers. These are specially bred strains with blue scales, She mated once and so far has remained neutral with other dragons. Her weakness lies in her excessive attraction to magic. She may agree to suspicious deals just to acquire an old spell or lost artifact that she's been seeking for so long."

Also in the Dragonlord Chronicles, Yak spirits appear in the World Mountain in the form of Yak Men.
I'd like to have Yak Men living in the region, maybe a local variation of minotaurs.
They could be minions of Khanistar or not.
Khanistar may have lizard men or troglodytes minions which live underground, from the time the steppes were wetter and swampy and they dominated the surface.
Also some local centaur tribes could be servants of Khanistar.
Sliktor Orcs too are likely to be controlled by Khanistar.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Indeed 1mph maps really give life to any place :)
Wold mountain is great. It should also contain the lair of Khanistar:

http://pandius.com/whoswho.html
"Khanistan: The ruler is Khanistar, a 17-HD blue dragon. Her lair is located on the World Mountain, at the centre of the Land of the Black Sand in eastern Ethengar. Khanistan stretches 80 mikes from there in all directions. Khanistar's lair lies deep inside a tall mountain that is dotted with sinister towers. The towers, built by magic over the centuries, are covered with stone barbs and talons. Minor dragons and other lesser minions occupy these towers, remaining constantly on the watch. Khanistar is a long, coiling, serpent-like wurm, Oriental in style, with large globular eyes and light blue scales. She has no wings but is skilful enough a spell-caster to overcome that limitation. She spent most of her 180 years of life seeking magic. She built an impressive library of rare and ancient spells, including a few abominations dating from Nithia. Khanistar relies heavily on magic manipulation for reaching her goals. Khanistar is famous among dragons for using pocket dragons as spies or messengers. These are specially bred strains with blue scales, She mated once and so far has remained neutral with other dragons. Her weakness lies in her excessive attraction to magic. She may agree to suspicious deals just to acquire an old spell or lost artifact that she's been seeking for so long."

Also in the Dragonlord Chronicles, Yak spirits appear in the World Mountain in the form of Yak Men.
I'd like to have Yak Men living in the region, maybe a local variation of minotaurs.
They could be minions of Khanistar or not.
Khanistar may have lizard men or troglodytes minions which live underground, from the time the steppes were wetter and swampy and they dominated the surface.
Also some local centaur tribes could be servants of Khanistar.
Sliktor Orcs too are likely to be controlled by Khanistar.
Thanx
The Lair of Khanistan is between Kairhyeld by Chimpman's 2300BC setting and your Grassdale 3050BC creation. It is set as a Blue dragon hex symbol on the map already..

I read Bruce's description of Khanistar's Lair, and envisioned this picture to be the best as to the location.
As it holds the ruins of Grassdale in front, and Kanistan's lair in the back, build by magic from and on the ruins, the dark area shrouded in the volcanic ash of World Mountain.
Here a picture I see as best being Kanistan. her eyes flsaming by the magic, her skin, due the volcanic ash and the shrouded darkness, or her contact/manipulation with Entropic/Blackmoor magic, turned into a dark-grey color. She is a master illusionist (like the Glantrian craft 5th circle( with all abilities, further enhancing the confusing environment. Image
She surely would have control over the Sliktor orcs, who live in the volcanic tunnels in the north, and her powers would surely have her control the wandering undead to at least a basic 'leave-me-alone-don't-disturb'agreement. She would surely have control over evil spirits, and maybe even several good ones.
I do agree the area was much lower, and diffrent, and could indeed have had a more wetter swampy climate, yet the current differences over 4050 years or more (I can't find canon/fanon sources describing the area other than a cold grassland, with some forest before 1700BC), so these reptilans indeed must have went much deeper, to the warm/hot and humid volcanic caves below. However, the cold climate upstairs would diminish her use of these creatures on the dark ashy shrouded surface (as being cold-blooded reptilians) yet she might use these to delve for minerals or funghi growing below for components in her magic research.

To her magic I assume she would be one of the few dragons on mystara who would know all the Dragonic spells
Spells Power Level 1; Breath Control, Calm, Dragon Tongues , Hoard Servant , Scale Shift,Shadow Scry, Sharp Tooth Spells Power Level 2; Aerial Acceleration,Aura of Terror,Claw Aura, Dragon Message, Dragon Bane, Hand, Magnify Breath Weapon, Slither—Hiss
Spells Power Level 3; Blast Jewel, Breath Mantle, Dragon Fall, Eye Shield , Find Humanoid Familiar, Pretty—Boom!, Hoard Cache, Pocket Dragon, Scalespray, Venomdust
Spells Power Level 4; Clutch Ward, Dimension Trap, Extended Aura, Focus Fear, Hoard Guard, Massmorph, Thermal’s Firetrail, Wingbind, Wing Razors
Spells Power Level 5; Breathblock, Razor Fangs
Spells Power Level 6; Alter Breath Weapon, Shadow Dragon
Spells Power Level 7; Death Door
Spells Power Level 8; Cold Curtain, Death Matrix
(see tsr09297 - AD&D2 - Draconomicon and Dragon magazine 15,218?, forgot the other two sorry )

The Yakmen you mentioned earlier, and I like the idea. Your earlier assumption of them being Fairies and now Minotaurs give me an idea; What if the spirits or fairies, now with an continuous open gate into their realm and an entropic gate next to it, enabled the Minotaurs living on the dormant volcano before the 1700BC disaster to survive, by altering them, giving them some spirit powers/magic and adapting their shape slightly to becoming the guardians of the gate to the Spirit Realm. The have some temple-like locations on World Mountain to defend against the outside Entropic Influences and incursions, yet within they have a vast fortress to defend against entropic intrusions. As such they would be the first to encounter if entering the Spirit Realm , making the description in the Dragonlord Chrnicles logical.
My earlier idea of the Spirit/Fairy Realm enveloping the moebius shaped Limbo, withan Spike of the Entropic Realm inbetween, breaching the Prime Plane on this location, would make such a defence needed. The Entropic influences want to control Limbo, for this would give them a limitless source of souls, which otherwise wouuld reincarnate, or turn to Ethernal Rest in the Realm of their Immortal(s), or even become Angelic. Probably they have had some incursions earlier (I suspect the Nithian era as this period was the greatest in undead powers/creations) thus having many undead or Nightwalkers/-stalkers/-wings/-other, and Masters and Minions of Chaos within. There is almost no note of Undead in the Blackmoor era, so I assume they did not exist that much, I think it was this first incursion enabling the Undead roaming Limbo, and the Prime in their current number. And this might have been the reason the Immortals wiped the Nithians away, doused the Undead might, and with the Yakmen closed the entry in to the Spirit Realm and hence Limbo.

To come back to the Yakmen, They are thus original Minotaurs, spirit/fairy adapted to their task and new environment. As such they could be new creatures...I ponder on this somewhat, to find their statistics/abilities and such. It would make an appearance of a Yakmen to Hakomon or regular Ethengars an encounter to remember in awe for eternity.
What Havard suggestiond in his question on if World Mountain is unique could result all other such connections being guarded by these Yakmen...
Interesting idea ;)

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 am

Robin wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm
The Yakmen you mentioned earlier, and I like the idea. Your earlier assumption of them being Fairies and now Minotaurs give me an idea; What if the spirits or fairies, now with an continuous open gate into their realm and an entropic gate next to it, enabled the Minotaurs living on the dormant volcano before the 1700BC disaster to survive, by altering them, giving them some spirit powers/magic and adapting their shape slightly to becoming the guardians of the gate to the Spirit Realm. The have some temple-like locations on World Mountain to defend against the outside Entropic Influences and incursions, yet within they have a vast fortress to defend against entropic intrusions. As such they would be the first to encounter if entering the Spirit Realm , making the description in the Dragonlord Chrnicles logical.
Yes good idea, this could be a perfect origin for them. I like to have some more "corporeal" spirits beyond the invisible ones :)
And great pictures indeed!

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Sturm wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 am
Robin wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:43 pm
Yes good idea, this could be a perfect origin for them. I like to have some more "corporeal" spirits beyond the invisible ones :)
And great pictures indeed!
Thanx. I had the same general feeling, due the dragonlord Chronicles background, yet now they (or at least several of them ) have more mystical powers to be used against intrusion into the Spirit/Fairy Realm.
I now (the last 3 to 4 hours) did create these creatures and made it into a small PDF file.
Hope you like their statistics, background and abilities.

Contradictionary to the AD&D2 and newer D&D versions this Yakmen is NOT, I say NOT evil.
Yet it appearance is like this illustration I saw, it is an omnivore (with preference for plants) instead carnivore
With clear Ethesh(old 3050BC Ethengar) heritage in clothing, armor and weapons (rectangular dual side swords, or plated leather armor(equal to Chain mail) for example)

Here the PDF about Mystara Yakmen as Guardians of the Gates to the Spirit and Fairy Realms.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JbtOkw ... sp=sharing

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 am

Love them already :)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Sturm wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 am
Love them already :)
Great...and the good thing is, they can even be used as PC's, although I would prefer them to be NPC's in various levels.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Ethengar Northeast
Ok I could not do much but I haven't been without work.
Here what I did.
23-01-2019; Continued in adding details;Worked in more detail from the old Krandai river map. I added more detail in the water of the Nordesfjord (including a flood lines <=dark-blue>where it is needed--ie; flooding a large area). worked on the altitude cliffs in the hills of Vestland, Heldann, I already know the exact altitudes will be a devastation to my mind when I am thus far, so first the other work. I filled in the last of the empty hex fields, and envisioned the Flow Patters of water and human movement. As such I created the major and some minor Trails(which of course will lead to settlements, etc). I also Created and used a few nex hex symbols. And I added the Dhemyeld River I questioned about, almost as it was in Chimpman 2300BC mapshere. This river will recieve some more attention soon.
See the map in detail here; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -782037337

Legend
23-01-2019;added Ruined Temple, Ruined Shrine, Harbour/Safe Anchoring Location (for the Ethengar Maps)
In detail or to download see here; https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -610520076

As before any comments, questions and additions are more than welcome.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Small yet irritating flaw in the Yak PDF (shifted table) restored.
Here the corrected PDF
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JbtOkw ... sp=sharing

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Ethengar Northeast
Ok
I found several canon upon canon, and fanon upon fanon, and fanon upon canon contradictions on the Heldann region.

My desire is to stay canon as possible, hence I want to implement all TM1 information. Yet my discovery led to several discrepancies.

This favourite Heldann fanon map by JTR,http://glacas.fr/lantredemystara/wp-con ... eldann.gif how beautiful it might be (and of course is still very useful) greatly contradicts the canon information on Heldann (Trailmap 1 upper right corner)see here (taken from Thorfin Trailmap 1
Not only are the coastlines totally different, yet many hexes are hills were the canon information reveals green (forest/farmland/clear)
Also other canon maps (on which I thusfar focused) seem to have a very variant coastline and only hilly area in that region.

The map http://www.pandius.com/heldann.jpg by Geoff Gander at least takes TM1 8 mile hexes into account, yet it does not keep record with the information from TSR 9218 - X13 - Crown of Ancient Glory.
The mountain spires are not visible, yet Lake Erid is(although it seems to be placed too far east).

To Geoff I have this Question; The Sudbergen on your map, is this canon-sourced or your own input?. Because I do like the section, and especially when it is canon(although I would like to have the source then ;) ) I would need to implement it, otherwise I intend to merge your map (in the sections I have) with that of JTR's map. Then the Spires from Crown of Ancient Glory would be a seperate section of the Sudbergen.

The problem with the Crown of Ancient Glory maps is these are overly simple, incomplete(not all hexes are filled), and has a great varied coastline, It can best be assumed these maps are locally drawn and do not in scale reveal the truth in distances and shape. Also it implies a forest?? where world mountain is...amongst others...at least if these cloud of globes are trees... :?

Any input is welcome on this.
I already send a PM to Thorff on this, but I also welcome any input by Geoff, and of course others.
This must be resolved one way or another :evil:

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:03 am

Busy on working on the above mentioned issues, hoping Thorf will help. And Geoff of course.
This is heavy to do correctly

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:55 pm

This is HEAVY work. :shock: :( :evil: .. still busy and hoping for some advise from Thorf and Geoff :mrgreen: ;)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Ok I have sent an PM to Thorf, and a line to Geoff requesting for help on the Heldann section.
And earlier to Chimpman on the 2300BC-today locations
Hope they will react and are willing and able to help. :lol:
As I am fully stuck without them in that region :o :?
So if either of you read this and have missed my messages to you...Please Help?

Ethengar NW
Eitherway, as I thus can't continue on the Heldann section of the map, nor on the Hakomon Locations I concentrate on the Vestland section.
I have redrawn, improved and interred the old Krandai map it into this map.
I have figured out a flow pattern of the region based on map and textual canon and fanon information (including the 3050BC, 2300BC settings of Sturm and Chimpman.)
As such I created a solution for the Flow of the Dehmyeld River (2300BC) and current (1000+) as displayed earlier
Image, and interred these in the map as such.
Of course much more information will be added, yet I could not leave this step without revealing it to you all. I have to add more settlements, ruins, ruined settlement and shrines according to the Northern Reaches Gazeteer, and also a few new regional names (like I did with the Dukedom of Estine) which were mentioned in the Crown of Ancient Glory adventure. and
The Dukedom of Estine & Seaforth tower (done)
* The Barony of Gallma & Small tower
* The Barony of Krenholme & Tower
* The Viscountship of Finhagen & Small Castle
* The Countship of Vander Plett & Tower
* The Barony of Darnen & Small Tower

* The Viscountship of Glenfork & Tower
* The Barony of Brinforth & Small Tower
Gallma, Krenholme, Finhagen, Vander Plett, and Darnen are all due west of Norrvik, near the Ethengar Khanate border. Glenfork is at the southern tip of Vestland and Brinforth is the peninsula area northeast of Norrvik.
All the bold ones have to be interred, and are probably (based on the canon) regions regukarly overrunn(according to ruins) by either Trolls or Ethengerians. I question though how large these areas would be The Dukedom of Estine was the Largest in title, so I imagine the others would be significantly smaller (baron 8miles?), Countship (16?), viscount (somehere in between?.)..and suggestions are welcome.

I created several more villages in the Vestland region (which I based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ ... _in_Norway. This link maybe important to you as it is an easy way to determine Heraldic shields of these settlements (just take the real ones).
Summarized descriptions of these settlements will follow later too.
From Gaz Northern Reaches;
In the Trollheim hills, the terrain rolls with steep slopes and rocky outcrops dropping into narrow, wooded valleys. soft wet turf and low bogs make travel in the area difficult. human travellers are forced to keep to the barren high ground where they are easily spottted from troll outposts.
The Trollheim hills are swept year-round by high winds, creating tree-less high moors and dese woods in the sheltered hollows.
In the Trollheim hills, the high moors are covered with low, hardy heather, while ash and yew dominate the groves of the sheltered dales.
The High Granite moors and rugged wooded valleys of Trollheim have been occupied by Trolls for centuries. for te last three decades, King Harald and the Royal Council have encouraged settlement in this area, under the Trollheim Homesteading acts......
the new duke would send in an armed expedition to drive away the resident trolls an as soon as possible, build a fort that doubled as the ducal residence. unfortunately, the dukes generally failed to occupy or garrison the forts, and few were persistent or effective in keeping the trolls out of their dominions. settlers who moved into these regions, clearing land for their sheep farms and building fortified steads, often found themselves unprotected from troll raids.
This clearly states several ruined/abandoned settlements, forts or even keeps, and describes the region more or less as I have mapped...(at least I hope)
Please survey the map (and the earlier posts) and see if you can add something, help removing a flaw, or whatever. Even just an opinion is welcome :mrgreen:

https://www.deviantart.com/6inchnails/a ... -782037337

The grey elliptical shape is the average region 90% of the time covered by a fogbank, created by the warm moisture from the 17 geysers (Sjutton Fontäner Ragnarok), the Elemental Watergate, where the Trolls life. due the moisture and temperature deciduous trees are dominant in this region and somewhat beyond, where else ever green would grow. The geothermal uplifting has created a variant and wet area called Trollheim.

Return to “Mystara”