1 Mile Hex Mapping

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Doc Chaos
Orc

Re: 1 Mile Hex Mapping

Post by Doc Chaos »

Thanks for the Hurricane Island map. Perfect for a Fortnite/ Apex Legends type game. The detail on your maps are great.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Doc Chaos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am
Thanks for the Hurricane Island map. Perfect for a Fortnite/ Apex Legends type game. The detail on your maps are great.
Thanx. I always try to bind the canon sources with fanon information where applicable and bind these with geomophology, ecology and flow patterns.
Feels good you say you like it. :)
Fortnite?? isn't that that famous 3D-shoot-m-up game on the net? :oops:
I'm interested what you intent to do with it. Always curious where my creations go.
Do what you wanna do, but if you make a 3d version (or something else interestinmg for the D&D players) of it...please also release here...
Have fun
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

As to the Karameikos maps

I have finally discovered the major flaw in my Kaarameikos maps.
Reason of the flaw were the variant scales, maps and hex orientations combined and the many canon sources used.
Apparently I misscales my major hex master on a few of these, and this affected the combining and made a very flawed hex map.

So ...I am already working on the revised versions where these flaws no longer do exist.
Going along a completely different angle.....going horizontal
These will be released soon, and then updated by your extra information as we go.
Sturm...it was your Blight Swamp map which revealed the source flaw. so thanx for your detailed work.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Well I recall there were some differences between canon sources in doing the map, but anyway glad to have been useful.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Still Thanx Sturm ;)
I am busy working on the Karameikos map every day as we speak. It is still too soon to share a preview, it is a really humongous map, with so many canpn/fanon information, it is hard to fuse together...so till too soon...yet...but soon I will share one of these 3 maps.

However that said; The many canon/fanon texts & maps giving information, following I had to create some new hex icon symbols.
Hence I again improved my legend.
LEGEND
New additions are; Buoy, several Underground settlements, Mangroves, Coastal Palms/Oasis, Dragon Remains, Sphinx, Werewolf, Beholder, Coastal Evergreen Plains and Hills, Seasonal Hunting Camp, Mansion, Ruined Mansion, and clarified a few more.
Keep in mind the ones with a white background (empty) are used to copy/paste with translucent background to be used on other fully filled area symbols.

Question
I send this question already to Religon who made the map, yet have not received an answer yet. So I hope somebody else so I can continue
His map gives several interesting locations I already have added.
However some symbols he used are totally obscure to me.
There are many elkhead like symbols (NW of Luln next to the burial mound, SE north along the road to Radlebb, South of Grey Mountain, etc)
what is this? On Mound Slijeme it is labelled with Skull Keep. does this mean it are towers...if so are they guard towers, mage towers,Keep, or something different? As the Bloodbear Citadel (on the southern of the map south of Radlebb) bears a normal keep symbol.
He also used another towerlike symbol on the Road to Doom from Luln Labelled watchpost...does this mean it is a tower/keep?
All these different symbols seem to be a Tower or keep or similar, could anyone explain the differences between them or just explain them for me?

He used also running horses symbol. what does this exactly mean? wild horses roam here?, horse trade spot, Centaur or similar horselike creature lair, horsetraders? or something else?

There is a chinese like house symbol a few hexes east of the ruins of achelos label. location, it is not labelled, yet it is in the same style as the watchtower symbol I mentioned above. what is this?

There is a Sphinx like symbol on mount Sijeme and in the swamp, what does it represent?

There is also a small tent/teepee like symbol on the Black Eadle Side of the border, while he used a normal camp symbol north of the border. Is there a reason for this difference?

Other questions;
Is Hogwallow a manor, or a house, farm, or a singular structure like a manor. if so what is it.

What is special with Abbey Island?

He used a faint grey beholder-like symbol. I made a special beholder symbol for it. Yet Does this actually mean this is a beholder lair?. what is its name(if known)

What are amphibiods? or Boglings.... and what is that bastion.

He used a Leper colony...interesting. it is placed far from civilization, yet also in the midst of Lycantropes according to multiple sources. Would Lycantropes be immune to Leprosy, or are they not really Lepers but in fact lycantropes wounded by silver keeping terrible scars, as it does not heal?

Some locations have a lable woodsmen or homesteaders without a symbol. For woodsmen I assume they chop wood there, of which I have a symbol. the homesteaders however are in the midsts of the huge light forest, are these grouped together to safe them selves from humanoid predations or are /were these singular farms overun or barely sustaining themselves?. Am I correct? can anybody help me?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

The elkhead like symbols seem towers to me? maybe it represent a lair or ruin.
It seems religon's maps use mine and Agathokles' map but with some personal addiction and modifications.
Last edited by Sturm on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am
The elkhead like symbols seem towers to me? maybe it represent a lair or ruin.
It seems religon's maps use mine and Agathokles' map but with some personal addiction and mofications.
Yes as far as I can see he indeed did use these sources, and implemented some of his own (like Guido's Ford/River Shrill from the B adventure).
His work does bring some more detail.

The elkhead "towers' seem confusing, especially with the other tower symbols in use. In one it is a keep, others are unlabelled, yet Watchpost and the common tower are in use too. So that is why it is confusing, especially to impose on the 1 mile hex map. Or are these Elkheads Hunting watch towers(to used by hunters to view a lrge area for prey), then why is one labelled as Skull Keep? you understand my confusion?
So I really hope to get some solutions so I can add these to the map.

Doc Chaos
Orc

Post by Doc Chaos »

Robin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
Doc Chaos wrote:
Thanx. I always try to bind the canon sources with fanon information where applicable and bind these with geomophology, ecology and flow patterns.
I'm interested what you intent to do with it. Always curious where my creations go.
Do what you wanna do, but if you make a 3d version (or something else interestinmg for the D&D players) of it...please also release here...
Have fun
Hi Robin! Nothing 3D. Just running a deathmatch similar to Apex Legends. A game where 100 people in teams of 3 fights to the last squad survives. Characters have different abilities and disadvantages similar to DnD or Pathfinder of which I'm using.
Your map is detailed enough to have tactical firefights and vehicles. Basically a battle between 2 forces. Thanks again!

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Doc Chaos wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:50 pm
Robin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
Doc Chaos wrote:
Have fun
Hi Robin! Nothing 3D. Just running a deathmatch similar to Apex Legends. A game where 100 people in teams of 3 fights to the last squad survives. Characters have different abilities and disadvantages similar to DnD or Pathfinder of which I'm using.
Your map is detailed enough to have tactical firefights and vehicles. Basically a battle between 2 forces. Thanks again!
That sounds interresting. I always thought Fornite was a 3d shoot m up. I never played any apex.
Nice to see how many people would have fun with my work. So Enjoy.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos
Can anybody help me wit these questions?. It is as if I am stuck in the region due lack of answers. So please help!!
Question
I send this question already to Religon who made the map, yet have not received an answer yet. So I hope somebody else so I can continue
His map gives several interesting locations I already have added.
However some symbols he used are totally obscure to me.
There are many elkhead like symbols (NW of Luln next to the burial mound, SE north along the road to Radlebb, South of Grey Mountain, etc)
what is this? On Mound Slijeme it is labelled with Skull Keep. does this mean it are towers...if so are they guard towers, mage towers,Keep, or something different? As the Bloodbear Citadel (on the southern of the map south of Radlebb) bears a normal keep symbol.
He also used another towerlike symbol on the Road to Doom from Luln Labelled watchpost...does this mean it is a tower/keep?
All these different symbols seem to be a Tower or keep or similar, could anyone explain the differences between them or just explain them for me?

He used also running horses symbol. what does this exactly mean? wild horses roam here?, horse trade spot, Centaur or similar horselike creature lair, horsetraders? or something else?

There is a chinese like house symbol a few hexes east of the ruins of achelos label. location, it is not labelled, yet it is in the same style as the watchtower symbol I mentioned above. what is this?

There is a Sphinx like symbol(as sturm used on his Halag map) on mount Sijeme and in the swamp, what does it represent? Is here really another Sphinx?? Is there a canon source to this, or is it another creature?

There is also a small tent/teepee like symbol on the Black Eadle Side of the border, while he used a normal camp symbol north of the border. Is there a reason for this difference?

Other questions;
Is Hogwallow a manor, or a house, farm, or a singular structure like a manor. if so what is it.

He used a faint grey beholder-like symbol. I made a special beholder symbol for it. Yet Does this actually mean this is a beholder lair?. what is its name(if known)

What is mentioned by amphibiods? or Boglings.... and what is that bastion.

He used a Leper colony...interesting. it is placed far from civilization, yet also in the midst of Lycantropes according to multiple sources. Would Lycantropes be immune to Leprosy, or are they not really Lepers but in fact lycantropes wounded by silver keeping terrible scars, as it does not heal?

Some locations have a labelled woodsmen or homesteaders without a symbol. For woodsmen I assume they chop wood there, of which I have a symbol. the homesteaders however are in the midsts of the huge light forest, are these grouped together to safe them selves from humanoid predations or are /were these singular farms overun or barely sustaining themselves?. Am I correct? can anybody help me?

What is special with Abbey Island? Ok -Explored the Dungeon Magazines for more minor canon sources; Isle of the Abbey is from Dungeon 34. As I really need answers to the other questions, I have paused the main map slightly---oh yes I do work on it I Readjusted the Sisak Locations according the map materials from Dungeon 24 "In the dread of the Night" especially the road, is now more realistic and NOT, I say NOT straight as per this more detailed canon....something I truly like.(

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Only things I know, Abbey Island if I recall correctly was proposed by others to be placed in Minrothad, so I suppose is Religon's original idea to place it in the Gulf of Halag.
The sphynxes like symbols IMO are dragons, indeed the swamp has dragon and the other dragon in the mountain is the one created by Agathokles which also appeared in his map. Religon just used a different symbol for dragons.
About the rest I cannot answer, I suppose all the locations and names which do not come either from mine or Agathokles' map are Religon creation for his own campaign.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am
Only things I know, Abbey Island if I recall correctly was proposed by others to be placed in Minrothad, so I suppose is Religon's original idea to place it in the Gulf of Halag.
The sphynxes like symbols IMO are dragons, indeed the swamp has dragon and the other dragon in the mountain is the one created by Agathokles which also appeared in his map. Religon just used a different symbol for dragons.
About the rest I cannot answer, I suppose all the locations and names which do not come either from mine or Agathokles' map are Religon creation for his own campaign.
Thanx Sturm.
Abbey Island is indeed small enough. to be used there. As the placement there seems to be more logical, I will remove it from the map I made thus far. It was the single one island not on your map which always disturbed me somewhat.
Here the 100yard hex map of it for those interested.

Ah...Ok. I exchange them with normal Dragon Symbols. Thanx

Yes, I used both your and Agathokles maps extensivly, Great sources by he way. I suppose so also, as he placed B5-TSR9078-D&D-Mystara-Horror on the Hill in this region while the adventure itself clearly placed it north of Kelvin and there are other relocated issues. However the extra information mght enhance the main map further. I send him already a mail, yet he has not replied yet.
I am very far with the main map and work now as said temporarily on the small islands you, I and others created in a 100 yard scale...in the hope he returns and helps with my questions. It would be a pity not to use his material though

I am thankful for any help, so Thanx Sturm.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos
Ok This was a very heavy issue, and really difficult.
Only the reasearch already took me several weeks, besides battling the Shingles attack...ouch.
But I had to do something. ;)

Lake windrush appeared first in the Expert set , yet only its southern edge
Then soon in B10 it appeared in a 3 mile hex scale and a detailed 2 mile hex scale
However, there were clear discrepancies even between the two maps of B10.
The shape and size of the Lake varied greatly
And it was not coherent with the Threshold map of the Expert Set. The canon sources are in the red rectangle.

Fans (however beautiful there maps are) put another discrepancy series in this issue, by altering shape and making the lake larger with the next version.
However beside these flaws, the fans mostly kept the same main shape. I placed all fan maps of the region could find, in the green corner to reflect. Agathokles, John Calvin, Sturm and others made these.

As my 1 mile hex maps try to follow the canon maps in preference. I had to make decisions and mergings.

The B10 3 mile map was based on the Expert set map so these two sources should take preference.
I took the 3 mile, the 2 mile and the 500 feet hex maps and made them the same size and overlapped
The first only B10 3 and 2 mile, clearly revealing the discrepancies
and then adding the Expert Set map. More differences.
I had to shift and merge this abit until I got a reasonable shape not too far from either canon source.
The south coast is now as the expert set, the main Lake shape us as the detail 2 mile hex map of B10. Threshold has been shifted a bit south as per Expert map, (and not theB10 maps), and the Windrush River took a more Southeastern flow instead the B10 version of South by southwestern flow.
Fitting this together in the 1 mile hexmap of the region thus far I finally was possible to fill in the edges (as per Expert map, B10).

I did take the fan maps into consideration with every decision I had to make, yet in the end neither diid reflect the canon better than this merger of the canon sources.

The final result is in the Black rectangle.
I hope you all like it :D
I will use this in the main 1 mile hex map also continue to work upon
Last edited by Robin on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos

Ok to make these available to others here is the (as far as complete I can remember) of sources I used in making the Karameikos 1mile hex maps
If you know important sources which clearly map or describe sections not covered by these sources. please share them.
I already used Pandius and made my selection thereoff and added some I found elsewhere.

Canon Sources used
A really massive list of canon and fanon sources I had to use in making this map
Links given as active per 10-03-2020, if no longer active use the title and search yourselves.

KkoK; Karameikos, Kingdom of Adventure Boxed set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20 ... venture-2e
Gaz1; Grand Duchy of Karameikos; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... ikos-Basic
Gaz4 Ierendi; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... endi-Basic
Gaz8 The Five Shires; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... ires-Basic
Gaz9 Minrothad Guilds; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... ilds-Basic
Gaz11 Republic of Darokin; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... okin-Basic
Gaz0 Dawn of the Emperors; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... atia-Basic
PWA1, 2, 3; Poor Wizard Almanacs; https://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Almanac- ... 156076385X , https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... c-II-Basic, https://www.ebay.com/p/2151825?iid=133145425699
Joshuan’s Almanac; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... s-Basic-2e
TM1, TM2; Trail Maps; http://www.waynesbooks.com/Mystara.html here Thorf’ss variant(however without the border information from the maps) https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/tm1-western-countries-8/, and https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/tm2-eastern-countries-8/
First Quest Boxed Set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/24 ... t-Quest-2e
Night of the Vampire boxed set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... Vampire-2e
Hail the heroes Boxed set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... -Heroes-2e
B1 In Search of the Unknown; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... nown-Basic
B2 Keep on the Borderlands; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... ands-Basic
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... cess-Basic
B5 Horror on the Hill; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... Hill-Basic
B6 The Veiled society; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... iety-Basic
B7 Rahasia; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... asia-Basic
B8 Journey to the Rock; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... Rock-Basic
B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... yond-Basic
B1-9, in search of adventure;https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... ture-Basic
B10 Nights Dark Terror; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... rror-Basic
B11 Kings Festival; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... ival-Basic
B12 Queens Harvest; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... vest-Basic
Xsolo Lathan’s Gold; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... Gold-Basic
X12 Skarda’s Mirror; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... rror-Basic
DDA3 Eye of Traldar; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/19 ... ldar-Basic
M1 Blizzard Pass https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/28 ... Pass-Basic
DDA4 The Dymrak Dread; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... read-Basic
The Haunted tower Boxed set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... ower-Basic
The Dragon’s Den Box set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... -Den-Basic
The Goblin’s Lair Box Set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... Lair-Basic
PHT; Penhaligon Trilogy novel; https://www.goodreads.com/series/43837- ... on-trilogy
DMSK; Dungeon Master Survival Kit; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... val-Kit-2e
PLSK; Players Survival Kit; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... val-Kit-2e
AC2 Combat Shield and Mini adventure; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... ture-Basic
AC10 Bestiary of Dragons & Giants; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16 ... ants-Basic
DK; The Dark Knight of Karameikos novel; https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/163 ... Karameikos (excerpt here; http://www.pandius.com/kdknght.html)
B; Basic Red box set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11 ... I-ed-Basic
E; Expert Set;
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11 ... I-ed-Basic and the included X1; Isle of Dread adventure; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... read-Basic
C Companion Set; https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... I-Ed-Basic
RC Rules Cyclopedia;
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... edia-Basic
Dungeon 1 The Elven Home (In Elven Forest Lands)
Dungeon 5 Trouble with Mylvin Wimbly (along Westron Road)
Dungeon 13 of Nests and Nations (specularum)
Dungeon 14 Wererats of Reflren(Thyatis north)
Dungeon 24 In the read of the Night (details Sisak)
Dungeon 26 Hrothgar's Resting Place (east of Wufwolde Hills)
Dungeon 27 Tarfill's Tomb (west of and along Castellan River)
Dungeon 42 Ransom ( Sir Reynald's domain (close to Threshold)
Dungeon 48 Them Apples (Wereskalot--locates village Keswig) & Wistil)
Dungeon 51 Witches of Windcrag (Dymrak northern edge )
Dungeon 53 Elexa's Endeavor (West Karameikos close to Five shires (Starts in Keswig; Further renaming locations/persons is required)
Dungeon 59 Voyage of the Crimpshire (Castellan River)

N2 The Forest oracle https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... -Oracle-1e (Thyatis west)
N4 Treasure Hunt https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... 0adventure (Vildel Island between Five Shires, Ierendi and Karameikos)

Threshold Magazines

Fanon Sources used
Francesco Deferrari/Sturm
3.2 mile map; http://pandius.com/karameikos-3_2m_draft.png
1 mile map Halag; http://pandius.com/halag.png
1 mile map Blight Swamp; http://pandius.com/Blight_Swamp.png
History Maps
1500BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_1500BC.png,
1432BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_1432BC.png,
1200BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_1200BC.png,
1000BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_1000BC.png,
760BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_760BC.png,
500BC http://pandius.com/Traladara_500BC.png,
1AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_1AC.png,
310AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_310AC.png,
440AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_440AC.png,
710AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_710AC.png,
892AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_892AC.png,
960AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_960AC.png,
990AC http://pandius.com/Traladara_990AC.png
New Blackmooor colony maps 3050BC https://digilander.libero.it/Halag/Thre ... Final.html
DromDhum; https://digilander.libero.it/Halag/Thre ... mDhum.html
Giampaolo Agosta/Agathokles
Crywolf; http://pandius.com/crywolf1.pdf
Cruth lowlands; http://pandius.com/cruth_lowlands.png
Tribal information; http://pandius.com/karatrib.html
Traldar map; http://pandius.com/trld_map.html
NE Karameikos; http://pandius.com/nekaram.html
Dymrak Dread; http://pandius.com/DymrakDread.pdf
Goblinoid Tribes; http://www.pandius.com/karagobl.html
Lords of the Cruth Lowlands; http://pandius.com/CruthLowlands-joined.pdf
Chimpman/John Calvin
maps;viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2566
2300BC, https://sites.google.com/site/mystara23 ... a_8mph.png
2300BC/1000AC overlay; https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxbFl59 ... QtWm8/edit
Threshold Region map; http://pandius.com/thrshmp2.html
Robin(My own)
old Karameikos NW 3 mile maps; http://pandius.com/north_west_karameiko ... ayxog4.jpg, http://pandius.com/west_karameikos_myst ... ayxnhd.jpg
Religon;
http://pandius.com/22279108004_404ec3f8cc_o.png
http://www.pandius.com/lulnregn.html
Rindis Karameikos 4 mile hex; http://pandius.com/Karameikos_996AC-4.png
Zendrolion/Simone Neri
2.7 mile map Threshold region, http://pandius.com/thrshld.html
MGaz1; http://pandius.com/mgaz1.pdf
Thyatian Dominions; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MQJrIj ... RTd2G/view and extra information on these
Karameikan Noble Families; http://pandius.com/knoblfam.html, http://pandius.com/kardemog.html
Irving Galvez
Blight Swamp Compilation; http://pandius.com/blight_swamp_compilation.pdf
Luln; http://pandius.com/Luln_Map.pdf
Harbourlee Rock; http://pandius.com/harbourlee_rock.pdf
Twin Soul Rocks; http://pandius.com/twnslrks.html
Jennifer Guerra
Traladaran Folk Tales
Thorf;
Replica maps;
X1 24 mile; http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/x1-1983-known-world-24/
Expert 24 mile; http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/expert-known-world-24/
Karameikos 6 mile; http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/expert-karameikos-6-1983/, https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/x10-karameikos-6/
B10 3 mile https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/b10-eastern-karameikos-3/
Hutaaka 2 mile; https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/b10-hutaaka-2/
Foamfire Valley 2 mile; https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/b10-foamfire-valley-2/
Updated(by canon tekst) Karameikos 8 mile; https://mystara.thorfmaps.com/karameikos-8/
TNZ; Thyatian Nobles by Zendrolion
Krimson
PhanK; Phandelver in Karameikos http://www.pandius.com/phndlver.html,
Lost Mine of Phandelver non-Mystara non-BECMI D&D adventure(maps of individualnlocations online)
Happy Larry
http://www.pandius.com/thrshlda.html http://pandius.com/mthrshl2.html
Sean Meaney
Economics of the Estate of Marilenev; http://pandius.com/marilec.html
Economics of the Black Eagle Barony; http://pandius.com/blkeagec.html
Duumtor; http://pandius.com/duumtor.html
The Ben Dalen Mines, The Village of Radlebb,
Havard
New Settlements Of Karameikos
Robert Samson
Penhaligon mao; http://pandius.com/penhaligon_map.jpg
Penhaligon Region Map; http://pandius.com/Penahligon_Region.jpg
Penhaligon PDF; http://pandius.com/Penhaligon_Sourcebook.pdf
Warriorneedsfood
Keep on the borderlands comic; http://thekeepontheborderlands.thecomicseries.com/
Conrad Edwards
Razvan Dragan; http://ravensquill.blogspot.com/2016/01 ... ragan.html
R.C. Pinnell
Ward of Wereskalot; http://www.lulu.com/shop/rc-pinnell/the ... 78152.html
Luln; http://www.lulu.com/shop/rc-pinnell/lul ... 08970.html
Unknown1
Sulescu
http://partridge.site/rpg/blog/index.ph ... s/sulescu/
http://partridge.site/rpg/blog/wp-conte ... meikos.png
http://partridge.site/rpg/blog/wp-conte ... ulescu.jpg
Unknown2
Albnfeld; http://valianttheywere.blogspot.com/201 ... -four.html
Known World: Tower of Bargle the Elder; http://valianttheywere.blogspot.com/201 ... elder.html
Iron Shield; http://valianttheywere.blogspot.com/201 ... hield.html

As Making these huge maps a lot of information is merged, mingled, sometimes fused to make them fit the canon sources.
textual descriptions of all locations will soon follow the map itself.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Thanx to an aware reader through my Deviantart page I added M1-Blizzard-Pass to the above list.
The single player adventure clearly states the Pass between the Five Shires and Darokin.
You Recently took passage aboard a caravan traveling to Darokin across the Blizzard Pass, the Treacherous path that winds over the Cruth Mountains between the Five Shires and Darokin. Since the path is famos for foul weather and evil inhabitants....
...welll into the narrow Pass...
And although it is no longer visible in the 8 mile hex maps, the X1 map clearly reveals it somewhat NW of Aergruth in the Five Shires. I have included all information I could find within the awkward module (luckily I have an script of someone who was able to use the invisible pen in full) within the map.

I Inserted a magical source radiating from the Stodos temple in the cave which deprives the pass from natural heat and warmth lowering the temperate temperatures of the 5shires (as per TM2 western countries) within this pass alone by 50 degrees Fajhrenheit, making it a wintery area almost all seasons. rain almost always comes down as snow or hail (sometimes sleet). This affect also befits the Temple Ideology as from Stodos Master of the Icy Wastes. The map is adjusted as such

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos

Lost Valley and Foamfire Valley and Threshold region

This is a section of the map of Karameikos I work on :lol: . This is an area interesting enough to be revealed before the whole map is revealed :) . So this is a preview, A TEASER, if you want to call it that :geek: , and some changes may follow ;) .
When the map itself is released this section will be listed seperately for those playing in the region and requiring a handy 1 mile hx map :o :ugeek:

btw the names of the settlements in the Lost Valley a drew from the old TSR forum. I had copied/ripped that section, never thought I would need it otherwise than for my own group, and now it becomes mapped :P Those labelled here B10 were mapped and detailwd in that very adventure module. the random village used in B10, is actially Sespiteq, the first village PC's meet on their journey here. Although the others are similar differences also exist.
Name--Originally held by;--Original use;--# structures
Sespiteq (B10 Typical village--vewed from the north) Hutaakan Protection 12 buildings
Oteqxi Hutaakan Farming 10 buildings
Nana Traldar Farming/Wood 10 buildings
Kamana Traldar Farming/Water 11 buildings
Vastex Hutaakan Farming/Wood 11 buildings
Turxek Hutaakan Farming/Wood 14 buildings
Norteq Hutaakan Fishermen 15 buildings and coastal ramp
Kalata Traldar Fishermen 13 buildings and rotten wooden ramp
Venxita Hutaakan Farming/Water 11 buildings
Terx Hutaakan Farming/Wood 12 buildings
Ynix Hutaakan Farming/Wood 9 buildings
Byxata (B10) Hutaakan Farming/Ruling (see B10)
Tertaq Traldar Farming/Wood 14 buildings
Ronkan (B10) Traldar Farming/Faith (see B10)
Tersuqta Hutaakan Farming/minor Mining(from rocksides) 17 buildings
Tetika Traldar Farming/Wood 13 buildings
Alxati Hutaakan Farming/Footpad Lizards 8 buildings
Lixta Hutaakan Farming/Rats(lizard food & fur) 9 buildings
Vault of the Elders (B10)

The arches (small red rectangle on map).
Always placed originally on roads. These arches are magical charged (by magical crystals embedded deep within the structure). All those passing underneath will become subject to a Know Alignment effect, where as white is lawful, and green is neutral and brown is Chaotic. The intensity of this color gives the ratio of Good (Lighter), Evil(Darker). This light wil appear on the creature passing underneath for 6 rounds.
The Fountains (small blue circle on map)
Mostly fed from underground channels, altitude gives height fountain. Mostly clogged somewhere. Original reason; Hutaakans introduced Hygiene to the Traldar culture. daily washing in 'blessed' water belonged to these. The water was not really blessed, yet the clean water washing was a blessing to those using it, as the number of disease afflicted dropped significantly within a single year.
The Shrines (small purple triangle on map).
Mostly placed originally along roads. These shrines are magically charged (but must mbe recharged monthly by religious rituals of the Hutaakan (under Pflarr) or Traldar Faith. The magic reveals the piety of a person attending the shrine (praying/studying/or else), by revealing a ring of energy around the person's top of head (an aura ring) visible to all. The immortal followed by the person is not revealed, only how pieous somebody is.this effects lasts 1 turn. All these have a small 10' x10' inner chamber with a basic stone font (the metal parts have been removed/stolen over the ages, so can't be used to make/store holy water) but mostly will contain some water used as holy water. there are mostly several small statuettes in niches to eitherside but the entrance. Any holy place was somewhat elevated from the ground and required at least 3 steps of stone to enter. they also were all rooffed to protect the contents from the weather.

Mnt Pavel
Source; KkoA, KkoA map, TM2, Joshuan's Almanac:
5800’ south of lost valley
Yarthmont 23, AC 1013: Adventurers announce their discovery of an extensive cave system near Mt. Pavel in the Black Peak Mountains in Karameikos. They invite investors to fund an expedition to thoroughly explore the cave system.
Named after Pavel Torenescu (KkoA 74 &http://pandius.com/trnscu_t.html by allen P)born 953 AC reached The top of the Mountain 15 Yarthmont 970 AC In his Shearing he climbed this mountain (with a befriended orc, before this the mountain top was unnamed.

One of the most extraordinary humans is Pavel Torenescu, the first badass to summit Mount Pavel, and pioneer (literally) of modern Alpine climbing. This post can go no further without giving a nod to Pavel's legendary Help —Tenza Nurgling a friendly Orc of the Northern Wildlands—without whom, Pavel may not have stood a chance against Karameikos’s tallest mountain.
First attempted in 921AC by the Thyatian military, the formidable mountain had turned away at least ten major expeditions (not to mention two solo attempts—not recommended apparently) before reaching the summit. But in 950AC, the discovery of a southern approach to the mountain to the summit had been discovered.
In 952AC, the Thyatian Peras Swiss almost became the first ascender of the legendary mountain, also led by orc Tenza Nurgling, but were thwarted by weather and turned back less than 1000 feet from the summit. The following year, the Thyatians led an expedition behind leader Sir Jonah Hunter, with multiple teams capable of reaching the summit, in hopes to plant the Thyatian flag at the highest point. It was originally planned for another Thyatian to be the first ascender, but due to breathing problems and a slow pace, the expedition ended without a return.
Pavel, Always interested in the Thyatian exploits and climbing attempts, in his Shearing years with his trusty partner, the orc Tenza Nurgling (who was banished by the Thyatians for their failure) desired to be the first to summit, and beat the foul Thyatians in their plans. Having trained on the glaciated peaks of Mount Dread, Pavel was perfectly primed for the challenge, and his attention to detail in his remaining journal pages highlights just part of what it takes. (see below)
The yellow and red Trail is the Journey of Pavel Torenscu in reaching the limit of Mount Pavel (named after him thereafter). C# is the camp at night of that day. There are some broken land hexes, sections which are the result of the Earthquakes of 985AC, before that time these had been ridges(reddish brown mountain hex).

Day 1 - "We left the Town of Conyberry heading north into the trackless wilderness. The better part of the first day was spent climbing higher and higher into the Black Peak Mountains heading toward Mount Pavel. By the time we began to lose the light, the village was all but gone from view. We pressed as far as we dared with the waning light and made camp without incident. As difficult the trek had been so far, it would only get more difficult from here on."
Day 2 - Again we pressed on, higher and higher into the Mountains passing several ruins, former structures of some unknown civilization in ages past. As we moved through a particular pass that was flanked by the ruined foundations of towers. Someone had created these long ago.
As we continued higher into the mountains, the temperature continued to drop. Though not as cold as it would be in the coming months, it was cold enough to be uncomfortable.
Day3 to 8; We pressed on despite the climate and continued to follow Tenza Nurgling's directions. We lost # of our carries, Sir Lowell Fell down a cliff when his rope broke, Lewis Kartkra froze to death in the 4th night, and Sembra Pulchin forgot to time the Survival scroll, how long it would remain ctive,. when we finally heard him gasping for air, exhasted as we all were, it was too late. His heart stopped beating and no potion would help. Tenza Nurgling and I were the last remaining, and we had nothing more to lose, so we continued. With frozen fingers, blackened toes, and ears we went higher and higher.
Day 9; We had reached our objectory. We were on top of the Mountain. To the north an impressive mountain ridge going down to the Northeast. We could see nothing of the Foamfire Valley in that direction. Our last route north was extremely heavy, but when looking down to the south, the west ridge drooped away in broad curves. and we had a great view of the Foamfire valley in the east. It was dominant to the east looking considerably less difficult than our climb from the south. Never anyone had seen this. I noticed that the dawn approaches. Tenza Nurgling looked very wary, if not professionally to the 1000 feet rock decline in front of us. I shook hands to this orc, and he almost forgot himself to embrace me. It was quite a moment. Tenza Nurgling and I shook hands and he so far forgot himself as to embrace me. It was quite a moment! We took off our headgear and for a turn or so I commanded the artful quill drawing me and Tenza Nurgling holding the Torenescu and Traladaran flags, with behind us the various ridges of the mountain I named after myself and the general view. I left a holy symbol on top for for those we lost and Tenza Nurgling made a little hole in the snow and put in some food offerings, lollies and biscuits and chocolate. We ate a Mint Cake and then casted anew a scroll with Survival spell.. A little worried by the time remaing, we turned back from the peak into the eastern decent.
Day 10; The steps along the ridge made progress relatively easy. The only problem was the rock stability, which demanded another hard climbing session. At High noon we broke up on the east summit both extreme fatiqued. Wasting no time (for the survival scroll was also limted) getting down, we set of the great slope still in considerably trepidation about its safetyness. It was a great mental strain as was coming down fast. I repacked every step with great care, and everytime i needed to check our ropes, and climbing gear, most encouraging. After what seemed a lifetime the angle east of me lead down onto a narrow but stable and safe ridge. Initially to the drink water we camped here mometarily... then rather tired we continued our way down following mountain goat tracks and fullu exhausted collapsed at a hastily made camp for the night. Our original scrolls and provisions were now scandered, they had given us almost only 6 hours remaining. In the morning at the ridge camp we had a brew of Lemon and sugar then jacked up all our gear and we left the ridge camp.
Day 15; We reached Foamfire Valley. From here it was a hicking yourney of 3 days between marauding Gnolls anf Ghould to reach Threshold.
The Artful Qill pictures were the proof of ou accomplishments

South of the Mountains with Mount Pavel in the distance. Our camp before the climb.
Halfway the climb. In the canyon in front of us we lost our carriers and a lot of equipment.
Myself on top of the very top.
Mount Pavel as seen from Foamfire Valley

Pictures made by the Artful Quill, an invention of the Mage Teldon of the school of Magecraft in Specularum.(this quill makes a picture memorized upon visually by the user and etches this on a piece of clean paper/parchment at normal speed(1 to 4 hours depending on detail) :ugeek: :shock: :mrgreen:

The last difficult section, about 20 hours from the summit, was appropriately named The Pavel step after Pavel, who was the first to traverse it. After the major earthquakes that occurred 985 AC, climbers reported that the Pavel Step is no more, the end of an era in modern alpine climbing, and a strong signal to Mystara's wonders and activity and its resulting impact.
Pavel's pioneering work at high altitude on Mount Pavel in 972AC dictated the framework for the climb's of all high mountains on Mystara. He demonstrated that a Create Air or Survival Spell was necessary to provide a boost to performance sufficient to climb obove 5500', and enable a safe return.
Lower amounts of oxygen at high altitudes caused severe corporal deterioration, as did Pavel's insistence on a very high fluid intake and the use of special spells to combat dehydration. Together with adequate protection from the cold, (which was less severe on the mountain than predicted), these strategies resulted in all future climbers who went above 5500 feet being in good physical and mental condition.

Free after the Journal of Edmund Hillary on Mount Everest. :ugeek: ;)
Last edited by Robin on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Great story, well done! :)

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:06 am
Great story, well done! :)
Thanx
It is an readjusted to Mystara, the Mount Pavel and magic version of Edmund Hillary's dairy on his climb on Moount Everest, and an expansion of the vague canon/fanon informations.

I also hope you all like the map. For making it was very Tricky. I succeeded to follow all the Ridgelines as given in B10 maps 3 and 2 mile hex maps. The did vary significantly, yet in the end fusing these together made Mount Pavel more realistic and dominating...at least in my opinion.
The hex scale flaw I recentlky discovered in the Karameikan 1 mile maps is now gone, and this map is as good as it gets, and fits like a glove the 1 mile hexes.
So have fun with it.

Shawn? This whole post can be stored on Pandius if you desire. thanx

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos
The Shingles attack slowly subsides, although not rapid enough in my opinion/needs/wishes(I wish the pain soon followed going away), yet I regained some more agility and can finish several of the smaller works of the Karameikos 1 mile map.

Harbourlee Rock
This island is detailed by the Works of Irving Gonzales here http://pandius.com/harbourlee_rock.pdf
Now in 100 yard hexes with some more realistic mapping.
Irving...I hope you like this map as much as I enjoyed working on this from your material.
The other Islands will soon follow.
Harbourlee Rock as seen approaching from the NW
Have fun
Last edited by Robin on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Post by Greenbrier »

Glad you are feeling better, and thanks for sharing the Harbourlee Island link. Interesting story with lots of fun potential there! Seems like a great place for some Glantrian wizards to visit and obtain a few halflings for "study".
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Greenbrier wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:33 am
Glad you are feeling better, and thanks for sharing the Harbourlee Island link. Interesting story with lots of fun potential there! Seems like a great place for some Glantrian wizards to visit and obtain a few halflings for "study".
Not really better, the Shingles themselves lessen down, yet the pain keeps going on on some muscular locations on breast and back, (like a boiling hot iron maiden electrified now and then) and that greatly hinders me. However, I am a busy mind and can't do nothing, so an hour here, an hour rest and an hour there...and so on.

The link is from Irvings work. I really enjoyed making this small map, and am working on a few more. so keep y'r eyes open.

A word from another Glantrian Mage as to acquiring Halflings. a few things actually...
1 they do not like to be called 'halfling' instead prefer the designation of "hin"
2 they have an awkward irritating ability to nullify any spell, evenn instantaneous ones like fireballs, lightning bolts, rays and missiles and such.
3 they are never alone
4 never underestimate these childlike humanoids, often they are older than you, more experienced, may harbour magical powers unknown to us mages (and some experiments revealed unable to use also), and like Elves with tres of life, they have something in reverse...blacklight.
One weapon created(or enchanted with this blacklight is captured and stored in the Great School of Magic. I seem to remember the Alchemists did take an attempt on understanding it. However, the power seems to be linked to the Planes and the Planet, weird or not.

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Post by Greenbrier »

Robin wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 am
A word from another Glantrian Mage as to acquiring Halflings. a few things actually...
1 they do not like to be called 'halfling' instead prefer the designation of "hin"
2 they have an awkward irritating ability to nullify any spell, evenn instantaneous ones like fireballs, lightning bolts, rays and missiles and such.
3 they are never alone
4 never underestimate these childlike humanoids, often they are older than you, more experienced, may harbour magical powers unknown to us mages (and some experiments revealed unable to use also), and like Elves with tres of life, they have something in reverse...blacklight.
One weapon created(or enchanted with this blacklight is captured and stored in the Great School of Magic. I seem to remember the Alchemists did take an attempt on understanding it. However, the power seems to be linked to the Planes and the Planet, weird or not.
Excellent points all, great care must be taken but these are also good reasons why further study is essential! I looked for the blackflame weapon in the GSOM link but couldn't find it, do you remember which section it is in?
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Greenbrier wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 pm
Robin wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 am
3 they are never alone
Excellent points all, great care must be taken but these are also good reasons why further study is essential! I looked for the blackflame weapon in the GSOM link but couldn't find it, do you remember which section it is in?
The weapon is not listed in the link, yet Professor vander Klil Geomage of the GSM was requested information in 1000AC by several Alchemists in this matter, him being one of the few experts in understanding Mystara's planetary magic. The link is provided to explore the GSM and find the Alchemist to ask yourselves. Alchemist as a group are not as secret as the other crafts, yet their processes and research are, so be aware.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Between the Shingle pain :evil: I still manage to create some things, though it is hard to do. :? especially in these frustrating times when everything is closed, so tightning my belt, some kilo's are swindling away. :roll: luckily not all shops are closed and I have social food help and some storage. so I will survive these weeks. :mrgreen:
Karameikos
Halag Bay--Sphinx Island Group
Brown Spire Rock
This is just an irregular large rock island rising a 455' above the water about 1500 yards north to south and 1200 yards east to west in the northern section and 600 yards in the southern section.
It is dominantly a seagull reserve, where some sea eagles, mice, rats, seals, crabs keep the population and nesting in check. A reasonable flock of Atlantic puffin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_puffin (locally called parrotdivers) can be found in the grown northern corner. The island has no sustainability for anything larger.
Some mages and alchemists forage yearly manure, birds, eggs, feathers and such from the island. Crab fishers sometimes take a pick here too. The only reasonable safe landing place is the eastern beach.

Sphinx Island
This is the largest island of this group of rock islands in the Halag bay close to the Blight Swamp
The western section is roughly 2400 yards north to south while the eastern section is about 1700 yards north to south. The island is roughly 3300 east to west. The island has several discernable peaks ranging between 300 and 500 feet high.
The central island has a large depression, where the few creeks fill a reasonable lake at 125' above water level. The amount of added water is about equal to the evaporation. Yet sages and explorers estimate it will become fully filled in a 500 years. And then flood out of the island in the barren south at 180'.
The central region is forested with fir and coastal evergreen, and a multitude of bird species nest and forage here. Parrot divers are seen along the south coast. The outer rocky regions are a seagull colony, regularly visited by locals for eggs, birds, or alchemist components. There exist only three safe routes marked with a standard buoy for small vessels.
Due to the serene environment within this small valley on the rock, both the Traladaran and the Thyatians in the past have tried to make a permanent domicile for their faiths yet all these shrines were utterly destroyed after 995AC by the main inhabitant who for unknown reasons does not allow any structures to be created on the island.

From ; http://pandius.com/blight_swamp_compilation.pdf TSENNAKHEB the Sphinx Using PC2-Top Ballista and the RC to complement Irving’s description
Tsennakheb is a veteran guard that lived in Serraine the Flying City. After living most of his live as guard he get bored and decided to adventure by his own. His adventure places went from Darokin to Karameikos. Finally after picking up treasures he decides it was time to rest and have peace. He found a rocky reef in the Gulf of Halag in 995AC with a cave big enough to live and protect his treasures. Tsennakheb's lair is hidden, yet wide and high tunnels (50 to 150') are connected and used by him to store riddles in huge scratched art on the walls. Tsennakheb is 50% of the day time (never longer than an hour) and sleeps 7 hours each night within these caves to inscribe more. Now he just protects his territory, he attacks ships that come too close and adventurers seeking treasures. Tsennakheb has a dark blue front fur and large talons, of which his left one is blunt due the scratchings. He is a 1 level sphinx (13 HD=65hp) that can attack 3 times per round (Claw; 3d6, /3d6(gives only 50% damage and -2 to hit), Bite; 2d10). Has natural AC of 0 and can roar in a radius of zone3=130feet =fear=16T, zone 2=65feet=Fear (see zone 3) + Stun=1d6r, zone 1=13feet =stun (see zone 2) +Fear (see zone 1) + 6D6 of physical damage +Deafness1d10T (save1d4T), roar save -4. He can fly 360'(120') MF1B, carry 13HDx1000=13.000cn half speed and 6500 full speed, speak with animals. It has a barding multiplier of x3, and owns (rarely uses anymore) leather sphinx barding with Serraine regalia. It has al saving throw bonus of +4 against first, second and third level spells, it is immune to nonmagical weapon and creature below 4+HD natural damages. As the Rule Cyclopedia this male Sphinx is a 12th level magic user so powerful with a -4 victim save to its spells. He does not use fire based spells however, due personal choices.
Tsennakheb has never mated and is now an elder sphinx of 65 years age, used to live alone (not pleasantly in this aspect though). Tsennakheb is expected to live to a venerable age of 90 to 99.
The birds on the island are either accepted or as prey for the formidable beast. It feeds however mostly on seals and seagulls.
Vessels sunk close to the island were blown by the Sphinx's roar onto the reefs, and plundered by him using waterbreathing spells, also feeding on drowned victims(why let good food go to waste).
However, he does not normally fly more than a 2000 yard away from the island and as such most vessels are found in the southwest of the island.
Tsennakheb knows of the secret inhabitants of Branak Island yet the amount opponents deemed him too powerful to take the risk to chase them away. He no longer bothers them; however, several of the sunken vessels belong to the Iron Ring.

Branak Cove
This is the second largest island of this group of rock islands in the Halag bay close to the Blight Swamp
The western section is roughly 1900 yards by 1900 yards. The island has several discernable peaks ranging between 300 and 550 feet high.
Like Sphinx Island this island has a secreted valley, one which exists from before the 1700BC disaster as an unknown Taymoran ruin tells.
Not many know of this valley, yet it is one of the headquarters of the Iron Ring. Scouting the island reveals only two fire places on top of the rock spires east and southwest and faint traces. The island like the other islands is mostly inhabited by seagulls, and other birds. Parrot divers nest on the shores where some vegetation is. And crabs feast on the debris brought in from the blight swamp like anywhere on these rocks. Except an ancient ruin of undetermined purpose of the Taymoran age, nothing of interest can be found on the island. However, the Iron Ring has discovered several caves and created in one of them the underground Thieves village Branak Cove, named like the island.
The island can hardly be approached as the many rocks and reefs underwater, and the Iron Ring did something else to bar strangers from reaching the island. They placed small (really small buoys of only a 2 feet) in the water, however, unlike the normal buoys these do NOT depict safe passage but instead reefs and such which clearly would sink a vessel if traversed.
The fires on the high rocks are used to signal approaching Iron Ring Vessels where to land (this depends on mood/necessity but also the tides and approach of the vessel.
The Iron Ringers had some severe problems with the Sphinx from the northern rock, yet their assassins, many missile weapon users, and even several spellcasters caused the dangerous creature to leave. The cost (unknown to the sphinx was however high, and about 50% of the locals have perished. These have been returned to their families and buried there, (often explained with a sea disaster of some kind, yet this explanation could bring suspicion to some clever adventurers as these dead were not sailors. but known as merchants or common folk).
Branak Cove village is 35' below the surface and accessible through 5 entry shafts and two tunnels leading into the rocks north and east.
The ruin is 95% destroyed and unknown of its purpose then long ago, yet a DM can place an old Taymoran Observatory with a few hidden underground chambers where a long forgotten Taymoran Vampire or Nosferat would be very happy to be released. It could also be a forgotten secret Shrine/temple to some unknown anti-Taymoran immortal, or a tomb with undead within...and treasures of a forgotten era of course.

Flooded Rock (Originally sloped Rock)
Until recently (15sviftmont 988AC) this island was as unremarkable as Brown Spire rock. Similar vegetation an animal life. This 1100 by 1000 yard island has some coastal vegetation on the rocky coast populated by the aforementioned parrot divers and seagulls. The southern part has a pebble beach where even several giant crabs are sighted instead the regular 2 to 8”. In 2 Yarthmont 988AC Bartholomew Conspire arrived here from Ierendi Honor Island in search of an island of significant size and shape. He erected a safe anchoring location and with the help of willing locals from the Black Eagle Barony to and the allowance of both the Baron von Hendricks himself and the Grand Duke Karameikos himself a stone mage tower using some unknown purple stone. Unknown to him the dire plans of the Baron greatly disturbed his plans. The Baron and the evil Mage Bargle allowed this to only one goal to have another mage under control.
When Bartholomew started his experiments the 3rd of Sviftmont he was unaware of the spies of the Iron Ring. When he opened a gate to the Elemental Plane of Water, they disturbed the crystals he used to stabilize the gate. The gate no longer under control, unable to close, unable to withstand the water within, started to leak water, large amounts of water. The Iron Ringers either drowned or fled while Bartholomew up to this date tries to regain control over the gate. The continuous water greatly changed the island, making the eastern half a very fertile region with coastal evergreen, fir, and thousands of flowers in between. birds of all kinds took root here, amongst others both kinds of Piranha Birds, and a nest of Giant Pelican http://pandius.com/Monster_Manual_2.pdf page 143 and 151 respectively
Bartholomew currently needs new crystals of a specific kind which are very rare and must be acquired somewhere else (he knows several Ierendi Locations having these) however he is unable to leave the gate more than 4 hours, and is continuously busy trying to stabilize the gate so it would not burst and flood the nearby coast. He needs the crystals to use the spell close gate. This is an excellent adventure for various levels, and the DM can use the iron Ring and the barony as opposition (beyond the local hazards close to the source of the crystal locations) as the baron has an increased fish profit from the local water due the clean salty water flowing in from the gate and does not want to relinquish this augmented income.

Quarico Rock
This rock is somewhat different in composition than the other rocks of this island group as it contains several mineral strains giving it a variant color like as if paint has been splotched on it quarico style...hence the name. is is about 1000yard by 500 yard with spires of 300 to 500' high.
The island is further similar to all the other island in vegetation and wildlife, except one thing. Here on the island lie the remains of a large or even huge Dragon, slain by Aurum the golden Dragon a few decades ago. Apparently this unknown dragon was a great menace to the region and a stick in the eye of Aurum on her ascension to Dragon Ruling. She had to defeat it, and up to this date the remains of it prove she was succesful. However, it is since this day she no longer reveals herself as much in the open as Dragon than before. Something has changed in her behaviour due this battle.
The island is regularly visited by teleporting mages seeking dragon components (mostly bone segments or scales(color has fade away to grey, so the original is unknown to those not known with dragons...an expert could discern the specific race (this is a DM option)
There is along the southern coast an unknown ruin of Taymoran origin. This might have been a village in the mountains, yet also a mage tower or tomb from that era. A DM can place a great variety within these ruins as they have not been researched as seen but never reached by explorers.

So another of the small islands of Karameikos
trying to negate through shingles pain waves I continue to create.
DM's and players have fun with it.
Last edited by Robin on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

KtA
Hobgoblin

Post by KtA »

Awesome - I really like Sphinx Island, and placing piranha birds on Flooded Rock! Piranha birds are such an awesome concept I don't know why they never got into other D&D editions...

Return to “Mystara”