1 Mile Hex Mapping

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Doc Chaos
Orc

Re: 1 Mile Hex Mapping

Post by Doc Chaos »

Thanks for the Hurricane Island map. Perfect for a Fortnite/ Apex Legends type game. The detail on your maps are great.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Doc Chaos wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am
Thanks for the Hurricane Island map. Perfect for a Fortnite/ Apex Legends type game. The detail on your maps are great.
Thanx. I always try to bind the canon sources with fanon information where applicable and bind these with geomophology, ecology and flow patterns.
Feels good you say you like it. :)
Fortnite?? isn't that that famous 3D-shoot-m-up game on the net? :oops:
I'm interested what you intent to do with it. Always curious where my creations go.
Do what you wanna do, but if you make a 3d version (or something else interestinmg for the D&D players) of it...please also release here...
Have fun
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

As to the Karameikos maps

I have finally discovered the major flaw in my Kaarameikos maps.
Reason of the flaw were the variant scales, maps and hex orientations combined and the many canon sources used.
Apparently I misscales my major hex master on a few of these, and this affected the combining and made a very flawed hex map.

So ...I am already working on the revised versions where these flaws no longer do exist.
Going along a completely different angle.....going horizontal
These will be released soon, and then updated by your extra information as we go.
Sturm...it was your Blight Swamp map which revealed the source flaw. so thanx for your detailed work.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Well I recall there were some differences between canon sources in doing the map, but anyway glad to have been useful.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Still Thanx Sturm ;)
I am busy working on the Karameikos map every day as we speak. It is still too soon to share a preview, it is a really humongous map, with so many canpn/fanon information, it is hard to fuse together...so till too soon...yet...but soon I will share one of these 3 maps.

However that said; The many canon/fanon texts & maps giving information, following I had to create some new hex icon symbols.
Hence I again improved my legend.
LEGEND
New additions are; Buoy, several Underground settlements, Mangroves, Coastal Palms/Oasis, Dragon Remains, Sphinx, Werewolf, Beholder, Coastal Evergreen Plains and Hills, Seasonal Hunting Camp, Mansion, Ruined Mansion, and clarified a few more.
Keep in mind the ones with a white background (empty) are used to copy/paste with translucent background to be used on other fully filled area symbols.

Question
I send this question already to Religon who made the map, yet have not received an answer yet. So I hope somebody else so I can continue
His map gives several interesting locations I already have added.
However some symbols he used are totally obscure to me.
There are many elkhead like symbols (NW of Luln next to the burial mound, SE north along the road to Radlebb, South of Grey Mountain, etc)
what is this? On Mound Slijeme it is labelled with Skull Keep. does this mean it are towers...if so are they guard towers, mage towers,Keep, or something different? As the Bloodbear Citadel (on the southern of the map south of Radlebb) bears a normal keep symbol.
He also used another towerlike symbol on the Road to Doom from Luln Labelled watchpost...does this mean it is a tower/keep?
All these different symbols seem to be a Tower or keep or similar, could anyone explain the differences between them or just explain them for me?

He used also running horses symbol. what does this exactly mean? wild horses roam here?, horse trade spot, Centaur or similar horselike creature lair, horsetraders? or something else?

There is a chinese like house symbol a few hexes east of the ruins of achelos label. location, it is not labelled, yet it is in the same style as the watchtower symbol I mentioned above. what is this?

There is a Sphinx like symbol on mount Sijeme and in the swamp, what does it represent?

There is also a small tent/teepee like symbol on the Black Eadle Side of the border, while he used a normal camp symbol north of the border. Is there a reason for this difference?

Other questions;
Is Hogwallow a manor, or a house, farm, or a singular structure like a manor. if so what is it.

What is special with Abbey Island?

He used a faint grey beholder-like symbol. I made a special beholder symbol for it. Yet Does this actually mean this is a beholder lair?. what is its name(if known)

What are amphibiods? or Boglings.... and what is that bastion.

He used a Leper colony...interesting. it is placed far from civilization, yet also in the midst of Lycantropes according to multiple sources. Would Lycantropes be immune to Leprosy, or are they not really Lepers but in fact lycantropes wounded by silver keeping terrible scars, as it does not heal?

Some locations have a lable woodsmen or homesteaders without a symbol. For woodsmen I assume they chop wood there, of which I have a symbol. the homesteaders however are in the midsts of the huge light forest, are these grouped together to safe them selves from humanoid predations or are /were these singular farms overun or barely sustaining themselves?. Am I correct? can anybody help me?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

The elkhead like symbols seem towers to me? maybe it represent a lair or ruin.
It seems religon's maps use mine and Agathokles' map but with some personal addiction and modifications.
Last edited by Sturm on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am
The elkhead like symbols seem towers to me? maybe it represent a lair or ruin.
It seems religon's maps use mine and Agathokles' map but with some personal addiction and mofications.
Yes as far as I can see he indeed did use these sources, and implemented some of his own (like Guido's Ford/River Shrill from the B adventure).
His work does bring some more detail.

The elkhead "towers' seem confusing, especially with the other tower symbols in use. In one it is a keep, others are unlabelled, yet Watchpost and the common tower are in use too. So that is why it is confusing, especially to impose on the 1 mile hex map. Or are these Elkheads Hunting watch towers(to used by hunters to view a lrge area for prey), then why is one labelled as Skull Keep? you understand my confusion?
So I really hope to get some solutions so I can add these to the map.

Doc Chaos
Orc

Post by Doc Chaos »

Robin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
Doc Chaos wrote:
Thanx. I always try to bind the canon sources with fanon information where applicable and bind these with geomophology, ecology and flow patterns.
I'm interested what you intent to do with it. Always curious where my creations go.
Do what you wanna do, but if you make a 3d version (or something else interestinmg for the D&D players) of it...please also release here...
Have fun
Hi Robin! Nothing 3D. Just running a deathmatch similar to Apex Legends. A game where 100 people in teams of 3 fights to the last squad survives. Characters have different abilities and disadvantages similar to DnD or Pathfinder of which I'm using.
Your map is detailed enough to have tactical firefights and vehicles. Basically a battle between 2 forces. Thanks again!

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Doc Chaos wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:50 pm
Robin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
Doc Chaos wrote:
Have fun
Hi Robin! Nothing 3D. Just running a deathmatch similar to Apex Legends. A game where 100 people in teams of 3 fights to the last squad survives. Characters have different abilities and disadvantages similar to DnD or Pathfinder of which I'm using.
Your map is detailed enough to have tactical firefights and vehicles. Basically a battle between 2 forces. Thanks again!
That sounds interresting. I always thought Fornite was a 3d shoot m up. I never played any apex.
Nice to see how many people would have fun with my work. So Enjoy.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos
Can anybody help me wit these questions?. It is as if I am stuck in the region due lack of answers. So please help!!
Question
I send this question already to Religon who made the map, yet have not received an answer yet. So I hope somebody else so I can continue
His map gives several interesting locations I already have added.
However some symbols he used are totally obscure to me.
There are many elkhead like symbols (NW of Luln next to the burial mound, SE north along the road to Radlebb, South of Grey Mountain, etc)
what is this? On Mound Slijeme it is labelled with Skull Keep. does this mean it are towers...if so are they guard towers, mage towers,Keep, or something different? As the Bloodbear Citadel (on the southern of the map south of Radlebb) bears a normal keep symbol.
He also used another towerlike symbol on the Road to Doom from Luln Labelled watchpost...does this mean it is a tower/keep?
All these different symbols seem to be a Tower or keep or similar, could anyone explain the differences between them or just explain them for me?

He used also running horses symbol. what does this exactly mean? wild horses roam here?, horse trade spot, Centaur or similar horselike creature lair, horsetraders? or something else?

There is a chinese like house symbol a few hexes east of the ruins of achelos label. location, it is not labelled, yet it is in the same style as the watchtower symbol I mentioned above. what is this?

There is a Sphinx like symbol(as sturm used on his Halag map) on mount Sijeme and in the swamp, what does it represent? Is here really another Sphinx?? Is there a canon source to this, or is it another creature?

There is also a small tent/teepee like symbol on the Black Eadle Side of the border, while he used a normal camp symbol north of the border. Is there a reason for this difference?

Other questions;
Is Hogwallow a manor, or a house, farm, or a singular structure like a manor. if so what is it.

He used a faint grey beholder-like symbol. I made a special beholder symbol for it. Yet Does this actually mean this is a beholder lair?. what is its name(if known)

What is mentioned by amphibiods? or Boglings.... and what is that bastion.

He used a Leper colony...interesting. it is placed far from civilization, yet also in the midst of Lycantropes according to multiple sources. Would Lycantropes be immune to Leprosy, or are they not really Lepers but in fact lycantropes wounded by silver keeping terrible scars, as it does not heal?

Some locations have a labelled woodsmen or homesteaders without a symbol. For woodsmen I assume they chop wood there, of which I have a symbol. the homesteaders however are in the midsts of the huge light forest, are these grouped together to safe them selves from humanoid predations or are /were these singular farms overun or barely sustaining themselves?. Am I correct? can anybody help me?

What is special with Abbey Island? Ok -Explored the Dungeon Magazines for more minor canon sources; Isle of the Abbey is from Dungeon 34. As I really need answers to the other questions, I have paused the main map slightly---oh yes I do work on it I Readjusted the Sisak Locations according the map materials from Dungeon 24 "In the dread of the Night" especially the road, is now more realistic and NOT, I say NOT straight as per this more detailed canon....something I truly like.(

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Only things I know, Abbey Island if I recall correctly was proposed by others to be placed in Minrothad, so I suppose is Religon's original idea to place it in the Gulf of Halag.
The sphynxes like symbols IMO are dragons, indeed the swamp has dragon and the other dragon in the mountain is the one created by Agathokles which also appeared in his map. Religon just used a different symbol for dragons.
About the rest I cannot answer, I suppose all the locations and names which do not come either from mine or Agathokles' map are Religon creation for his own campaign.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am
Only things I know, Abbey Island if I recall correctly was proposed by others to be placed in Minrothad, so I suppose is Religon's original idea to place it in the Gulf of Halag.
The sphynxes like symbols IMO are dragons, indeed the swamp has dragon and the other dragon in the mountain is the one created by Agathokles which also appeared in his map. Religon just used a different symbol for dragons.
About the rest I cannot answer, I suppose all the locations and names which do not come either from mine or Agathokles' map are Religon creation for his own campaign.
Thanx Sturm.
Abbey Island is indeed small enough. to be used there. As the placement there seems to be more logical, I will remove it from the map I made thus far. It was the single one island not on your map which always disturbed me somewhat.
Here the 100yard hex map of it for those interested.

Ah...Ok. I exchange them with normal Dragon Symbols. Thanx

Yes, I used both your and Agathokles maps extensivly, Great sources by he way. I suppose so also, as he placed B5-TSR9078-D&D-Mystara-Horror on the Hill in this region while the adventure itself clearly placed it north of Kelvin and there are other relocated issues. However the extra information mght enhance the main map further. I send him already a mail, yet he has not replied yet.
I am very far with the main map and work now as said temporarily on the small islands you, I and others created in a 100 yard scale...in the hope he returns and helps with my questions. It would be a pity not to use his material though

I am thankful for any help, so Thanx Sturm.

Return to “Mystara”