[Thornspace] TS1: Sarimaar, The Red Wanderer

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[Thornspace] TS1: Sarimaar, The Red Wanderer

Postby RobJN » Thu May 12, 2016 7:16 pm

This is primarily a development thread, but I will (am?) also looking for feedback from the community. You know, so this thing can be pretty good instead of just "good." :) You can view and comment on the work in progress here.

Introduction/Author's Note

History of the red planet, as most mortals know it
{Timeline 1)
  • Seven Colonies
  • War of the Red Sands
  • The Great Rain of FIre and the Unification
History of the red planet, as the Immortals know it
(Extended Timeline)
  • The Elden Empire
  • The Age of Building
  • The Med'een Uprising
  • Damoclean Catastrophe

Geography of the red planet
    Lay of the Land
    • Northern Lowlands
    • Southern Highlands
    • Titanmount, the Three Sisters, and the Scar
    • The Channels
    • Cydon's Temple
    Flora and Fauna
    Seasons on the red planet
    New Monsters

Seven Colonies, One Empire
  • The Seven Chancellors
  • The Scarlet Order
  • The Seven Champions

This listing is not exhaustive; I'll expand it as I think up new material.
Last edited by RobJN on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Thornspace]TS1: Sarimaar, The Red Wanderer

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu May 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Woot! :cool: I am so looking forward to the details of this!
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Wow! I'll second that. I think his is a thread we might be able to have a lot of fun with :twisted:

Even just the outline you have above is fairly evocative - already I want to know about the Seven Colonies and the War of the Red Sands!

If you had to describe the setting in a paragraph or so, how would you describe it? I'm assuming that there will be some tie-ins with Thorn's Mystara (hence the name above) and Blackmoor, but will there be other tie-ins as well? Will we get to see something like the Hollow World, where some of these cultures are known to us (albeit progressed from their original form) or will the cultures populating he red planet be entirely new?

I'm definitely having ideas, but I don't want to go off in a direction that you want to shy away from.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Thu May 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Chimpman wrote:Wow! I'll second that. I think his is a thread we might be able to have a lot of fun with :twisted:

Even just the outline you have above is fairly evocative - already I want to know about the Seven Colonies and the War of the Red Sands!

If you had to describe the setting in a paragraph or so, how would you describe it? I'm assuming that there will be some tie-ins with Thorn's Mystara (hence the name above) and Blackmoor, but will there be other tie-ins as well? Will we get to see something like the Hollow World, where some of these cultures are known to us (albeit progressed from their original form) or will the cultures populating he red planet be entirely new?

I'm definitely having ideas, but I don't want to go off in a direction that you want to shy away from.

Four thousand years is a long time to wait to return home. It has taken the seven noble houses -- all that was left of Ancient Thonia -- that long to wrestle the secrets of the Ma'deen's former masters from the sand folk, to unravel the riddles of Elden's ancient technology, to blend it with what little magitech still functioned from the Old World.

The fruits of those labors, the Known World will soon discover.

The Empress of the Scarlet Sands is bent on returning -- with a vengeance.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 13, 2016 11:40 am

RobJN wrote:I will (am?) also looking for feedback from the community.

By "feedback from the community" I take it that you mean something more productive than a link to a YouTube video of Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. ;)

Best of luck with this. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 am

Big Mac wrote:
RobJN wrote:I will (am?) also looking for feedback from the community.

By "feedback from the community" I take it that you mean something more productive than a link to a YouTube video of Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. ;)

I thought that was already understood, in your case ;)
Best of luck with this. :)

Many thanks! I'm sure I'll have to pick your brain for Spelljammer-y goodness eventually
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 13, 2016 4:34 pm

RobJN wrote:Four thousand years is a long time to wait to return home. It has taken the seven noble houses -- all that was left of Ancient Thonia -- that long to wrestle the secrets of the Ma'deen's former masters from the sand folk, to unravel the riddles of Eldeen's ancient technology, to blend it with what little magitech still functioned from the Old World.

Ahhh... :twisted: So it's to be Dune then? ... I can work with that. :mrgreen:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri May 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote:Four thousand years is a long time to wait to return home. It has taken the seven noble houses -- all that was left of Ancient Thonia -- that long to wrestle the secrets of the Ma'deen's former masters from the sand folk, to unravel the riddles of Eldeen's ancient technology, to blend it with what little magitech still functioned from the Old World.

Ahhh... :twisted: So it's to be Dune then? ... I can work with that. :mrgreen:

No giant sand worms. Well, maybe one. Probably a Moby Dick CM-level adventure seed :P
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Thornspace] TS1: Sarimaar, The Red Wanderer

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 13, 2016 5:02 pm

So I'm gathering from this that the ancestors of the Seven Colonies were originally from Blackmoor/Thonia (if they're of Thonian descent I suppose it could be either?). They must have founded the colonies shortly before the GRoF, and then been cut off from their mother country/countries once the catastrophe happened. I imagine a long period where they struggle just to survive, dealing with both the environment and the native inhabitants.

[Short aside - didn't you post something not too far back about the colonization of Sarimaar? It would be nice to link that into this topic. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Perhaps it was an offline conversation?]

I see a lot of intrigue and conflict between the seven noble houses (and I assume that the Empress is from one of their lines).

Here are some random ideas:
- Some remnant of the Beagle could still exist somewhere on Sarimaar. Perhaps they sent an expedition down before loosing control and crashing on Mystara. Perhaps an explosion split the ship in half, with part landing on Sarimaar, and the rest crashing on Mystara.
- A fragment of the Egg of Coot could have weaseled its way into one of the original colonization attempts. It's been festering there for millennia, planning and growing powerful enough to finally take control.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri May 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Chimpman wrote:So I'm gathering from this that the ancestors of the Seven Colonies were originally from Blackmoor/Thonia (if they're of Thonian descent I suppose it could be either?). They must have founded the colonies shortly before the GRoF, and then been cut off from their mother country/countries once the catastrophe happened. I imagine a long period where they struggle just to survive, dealing with both the environment and the native inhabitants.

[Short aside - didn't you post something not too far back about the colonization of Sarimaar? It would be nice to link that into this topic. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Perhaps it was an offline conversation?]

I see a lot of intrigue and conflict between the seven noble houses (and I assume that the Empress is from one of their lines).

Here are some random ideas:
- Some remnant of the Beagle could still exist somewhere on Sarimaar. Perhaps they sent an expedition down before loosing control and crashing on Mystara. Perhaps an explosion split the ship in half, with part landing on Sarimaar, and the rest crashing on Mystara.
- A fragment of the Egg of Coot could have weaseled its way into one of the original colonization attempts. It's been festering there for millennia, planning and growing powerful enough to finally take control.

That would be on the blog, a teaser for Rowena's initial Aetheric-based study of the planet, a rather dangerous approach, as it meant having to breach and then cross through a good stretch of the Deep Aetheric to cross the vast distance between Mystara and Sarimaar -- a trip she, Leansethar, and the Master Shard very nearly did not survive.

The second stage involved deploying war-forged shells and using telepresence through harmonically linked blue- and black dragonstones. They did not last overly long in the cold and abrasive environment, but it was long enough to erect a pair of Lightning Road receiving stations. And then the colonization began, with a limited compliment of shrikes and sirens for defense -- while they were not subject to the gear and joint wear of the warforged, the Progeny were highly vulnerable to the irons that laced the dust-like sands of the planet.

Intrigues galore is the name of the game for Sarimaar-based adventures. One house pretty much has a lock on the Channel system and water production and distribution. Another sees to growing most of the food for the Colonies. A third holds the majority of the military power. Etc, etc.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri May 13, 2016 6:39 pm

RobJN wrote:That would be on the blog, a teaser for Rowena's initial Aetheric-based study of the planet, a rather dangerous approach, as it meant having to breach and then cross through a good stretch of the Deep Aetheric to cross the vast distance between Mystara and Sarimaar -- a trip she, Leansethar, and the Master Shard very nearly did not survive.

Ahh, I remember that blog post now. ... I still feel like there was something else, maybe involving a map and actually marking and naming several of the "landing sites" for the early Blackmoorian exploration of the planet. This is going to bug me until I figure it out...

Or I could just be going crazy :mrgreen:

RobJN wrote:The second stage involved deploying war-forged shells and using telepresence through harmonically linked blue- and black dragonstones. They did not last overly long in the cold and abrasive environment, but it was long enough to erect a pair of Lightning Road receiving stations. And then the colonization began, with a limited compliment of shrikes and sirens for defense -- while they were not subject to the gear and joint wear of the warforged, the Progeny were highly vulnerable to the irons that laced the dust-like sands of the planet.

Now this is an interesting idea that I hadn't even begun to consider. The red planet must be like a living hell for fey-born races. Given that, the sisters must have had a REALLY good reason for wanting to go there. I mean I get the drive and curiosity of initial exploration... but once you find a planet that is literally trying to kill you, why would you want to colonize it? I'm thinking that there must be something very important about Sarimaar. Given all of the iron sand and dust one might conclude that the very planet itself was designed to be a prison for some very powerful fey being :halo: No one would want to release someone like that, would they?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri May 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Chimpman wrote: Given all of the iron sand and dust one might conclude that the very planet itself was designed to be a prison for some very powerful fey being :halo: No one would want to release someone like that, would they?

:shock:

:o

:twisted:

:x

That's.... not a bad idea....
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sat May 14, 2016 2:29 pm

“How long are you going to sit there, staring?” Leansethar asked.

Her twin sister hadn’t moved since at least before the mid-day’s meal, as her plate and cup sat, untouched, on the sideboard.

Rowena sat on the small throw-rug, her knees drawn up, chin resting on them. She was still in her nightwear, her long silvery-gold hair still sleep-tousled. Her toes nearly touched the half-polished surface of the stone block that sat in the corner of her room.

Rather than staring at her reflection, or that of the tower chamber behind her, though, the surface of the black rock showed what could have been the desert that encircled the remains of the City of the Gods in the lands far to the south, the view to the horizon lost in a shifting haze.

Leansethar stepped between her sister and the block of stone, and as her reflection stepped into view, the otherworldly image rippled behind it, dissolving back into the far tower wall, the tapestries, and a scowling princess.

“I was watching that.”

“It’s a desert. During a sandstorm. There is nothing to watch.”

“It was very nearly clear.”

“You told me those storms sometimes last for months. Did you plan to sit here that entire time?”

“I was just—”

“You missed the morning’s breakfast. Luncheon has come and gone. It is past the quarter-sun, and the Fetch is expecting us for tea and lessons. Do you plan on going like that?”

Rowena blinked, leaning over and examining her smoky reflection. She ran a hand through her hair, wincing as fingers met snarls. As she turned to fish for the hairbrush on a nearby side table, her reflection lingered, smoothing its fingers through its hair, sticking its tongue out.

“Behave,” Leah said, to the glossy stone, “or I’ll cover you up.” She bent, reaching for the heavy red velvet drape.

The reflection of her sister flashed a pout, and then once again began mimicking the motions of the other girl.

Leah threw the heavy cloth over the stone anyway, tried to ignore her own reflection’s momentary scowl, the baring of sharpened teeth. She suppressed a shudder, and then helped her sister dress, relieved that neither of their reflections in the silvered dressing mirror acted up.

“I don’t know how you can see anything through that stone, anyway,” Leah grumbled, tugging at the brush. “It’s like trying to stare through the morning mists off the bay.”

“The skyshield must be — ow!” Rowena turned, glaring at her sister through a tangle of curls, and the two of them wrestled with the brush — Leah to free it from the tangles, Rowena to keep her sister from pulling her hair out by the roots.

“I was counting on the skyshield being just like this one,” Rowena said. “So when the stone fell through, the heat didn’t polish it as much as I’d calculated. I’d estimate it’s off by a focal curve-distortion factor of—”

Leah waved a hand. “Save it for the paper that you’ll no doubt submit to the University.”

Rowena stood so quickly, she nearly clipped her sister’s chin.

“You’re right. But a guess won’t do. I need to work the precise number out,” she murmured, reaching for a quill. She began ticking items off with the fingers of her other hand. “And then, I can calculate the wind-resistance differential, which will lead me right to the skyshield density, so my next—”

Leah slapped at her sister’s hand, grabbing her wrist and tugging towards the door. She ignored the dispirited wail.

“Your numerics juggling can wait. We’re late for tea.”

The meteoric bombardment that followed the Damoclean Catastrophe very nearly stripped Sarimaar of its skyshield entirely. What is left, even thousands of years after the event, is barely enough to keep the world alive -- if the condition to which the planet clings can be called "alive."

Though Sarimaar, like Mystara, has an axial tilt and therefore seasonal changes, winter's grip on the planet only briefly loosens its hold in the hottest part of the Sarimaarn year. It is only bitterly cold during the Sarimaarn summers. The very hottest of days might be enough to allow a brief rainfall, perhaps even enough for that rain to reach the parched ground.

Humans were not meant to thrive on the sandy wastes, and thus they must take extensive precautions when venturing out of their sheltered domes and habitats. Death from exposure to the icy temperatures of the Sarimaarn surface takes only a few minutes, and if the cold does not immediately kill, trying to breathe the thin, cold air may very well finish the job. During most of the Sarimaarn year, unprotected exposure to the environment calls for Constitution checks* every round, to resist the numbing cold, and PCs will not be able to breathe, due to what little air there is freezing in their lungs. (See "drowning" rules in the Cyclopedia, p. 90) Wearing heavy winter gear, the need for checks falls to once per hour, but only while the sun is up. Temperatures plunge -- quickly -- once the sun sets. Failing a check inflicts 1d4 CON damage.

Conditions are only slightly more favorable during summer months: Constitution checks are needed once per day, and once per hour during the night. Failing a check drops a PC into the "exhausted" state (Cyclopedia, p. 88). A subsequent failure inflicts CON damage as above.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Sun May 15, 2016 4:15 pm

I woke up with this idea, so I figure I better share it.

There is a theory that the creation of the Canolbarth forest (circa BC 700) caused the desertification of Nithia by "stealing" moisture from the surrounding areas and concentrating it in the region of the newly forming forest. Over the years and centuries the forest has gotten larger and the desert has become more barren.

What if something like that happened on Sarimaar millennia ago (possibly even before the coming of the Beagle)? That would mean that the entire planet was essentially sucked dry of water, and that the water was concentrated in some other location - a hidden location. My guess would be the poles... but what if those polar glaciers aren't just ice caps? What if they are actually ice domes, covering secret sanctuaries on the planet. Just as Canolbarth became a thriving forest by killing Nithia, what if there is some hidden paradise sucking the life out of the rest of the planet?

Anyway, I thought that was a neat idea. I doubt that the Colonies would have had the time to explore such fantasies while they were just struggling to survive, although there could always be a few insane dreamers who might try to verify the myths.

Of course this then begs the question of who or what would do such a thing, and are they still living on the planet (presumably in the paradise that they created).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Chimpman wrote:I woke up with this idea, so I figure I better share it.

There is a theory that the creation of the Canolbarth forest (circa BC 700) caused the desertification of Nithia by "stealing" moisture from the surrounding areas and concentrating it in the region of the newly forming forest. Over the years and centuries the forest has gotten larger and the desert has become more barren.

What if something like that happened on Sarimaar millennia ago (possibly even before the coming of the Beagle)? That would mean that the entire planet was essentially sucked dry of water, and that the water was concentrated in some other location - a hidden location. My guess would be the poles... but what if those polar glaciers aren't just ice caps? What if they are actually ice domes, covering secret sanctuaries on the planet. Just as Canolbarth became a thriving forest by killing Nithia, what if there is some hidden paradise sucking the life out of the rest of the planet?

Anyway, I thought that was a neat idea. I doubt that the Colonies would have had the time to explore such fantasies while they were just struggling to survive, although there could always be a few insane dreamers who might try to verify the myths.

Of course this then begs the question of who or what would do such a thing, and are they still living on the planet (presumably in the paradise that they created).

Sarimaar used to be as lush and green as Mystara, thousands of years ago. But the destruction of Damocles rained a heavy bombardment of meteorites down on the planet, very nearly destroying the skyshield. What little is left is barely enough to keep the planet breathable. Most of the water boiled off or was stripped away by Ixionis' harsh radiance before the skyshield could repair itself.

Sand folk legends say that the dust storms that arise every summer are the wrath of the Sarimaarn Sea King, Cydonis, punishing the Elden even to this day for the destruction of Damocles -- as if that planet's near total destruction of the skyshield wasn't enough. If the Colonies do not provide enough tribute... well, the storms may be particularly bad that year. :twisted:

I like the idea of "civilization" under the ice domes. Are those cities still living, or are they just as lifless as the cliffside ruins which many of the colonists repurposed after Gatefall?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Been thinking about this project again lately...
RobJN wrote:Sarimaar used to be as lush and green as Mystara, thousands of years ago. But the destruction of Damocles rained a heavy bombardment of meteorites down on the planet, very nearly destroying the skyshield. What little is left is barely enough to keep the planet breathable. Most of the water boiled off or was stripped away by Ixionis' harsh radiance before the skyshield could repair itself.

When would you place the destruction of Damocles? I don't think canon is very specific on this point, but I've seen a wide range of dates from other fan material. I've also seen some fan material placing the Pyrithians here (as well as the Pachydermions from Patera).

I've always associated the Pyrithians with the Grens from the Beagle, so if they were from that original expedition and settled on Damocles, then the planet would have been around during the time of the Beagle. In fact it's possible that the Beagle seeded a colony on the planet before continuing on its journey (possibly trying to find a way home before crashing on Mystara). If the Pyrithians were actually a Federation colony, they could have had a jump start on the Blackmoorians (by centuries) leading to Damocles' own disaster (which destroyed the planet). That might place the destruction of the planet sometime between BC 3500 and BC 3000.

RobJN wrote:Sand folk legends say that the dust storms that arise every summer are the wrath of the Sarimaarn Sea King, Cydonis, punishing the Elden even to this day for the destruction of Damocles -- as if that planet's near total destruction of the skyshield wasn't enough. If the Colonies do not provide enough tribute... well, the storms may be particularly bad that year. :twisted:

Somehow I really like the idea of an "undead" sea god. That's what happens when you allow all the water to be driven from your planet :twisted: I'm not quite sure how that would work though...

RobJN wrote:I like the idea of "civilization" under the ice domes. Are those cities still living, or are they just as lifless as the cliffside ruins which many of the colonists repurposed after Gatefall?

I'd say have one of each. Perhaps something happened, and the southern dome civilization went extinct. The northern dome civilization could still exist (even if it isn't thriving). Perhaps they need to find out what happened to their southern brethren in order to prevent their own downfall in the foreseeable future. Could make for some nice adventure ideas.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Sturm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Interesting. I've decided to set the destruction of Damocles in 3000 Bc because I need a better explanation for the GroF than "something exploded somewhere" and Great Rain of Fire sounds just like a rain of asteroids to me.. maybe the extensive radiance poisoning was due to Blackmoor weapons trying to stop the asteroids..
I do not like the idea Damocles exploded during the WotI because it seems too near to me..
Undead sea god is wonderful!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Sturm wrote:I do not like the idea Damocles exploded during the WotI because it seems too near to me..

I agree. I seem to recall that the Pyrithians were portrayed as pirates in the asteroid belt. For that to be true, then Damoclese would have had to be destroyed long before WotI. Likewise if the Pachydermions were originally from Damoclese, but now have a thriving civilization on Patera. They would need time to build that civilization up, so they must have left Damoclese centuries, if not millennia, ago.

Of course, none of this may be relevant to Thorn's version of Mystara. It does sound like RobJN would place the destruction at least in BC 3000, if not before then.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Chimpman wrote:Been thinking about this project again lately...
RobJN wrote:Sarimaar used to be as lush and green as Mystara, thousands of years ago. But the destruction of Damocles rained a heavy bombardment of meteorites down on the planet, very nearly destroying the skyshield. What little is left is barely enough to keep the planet breathable. Most of the water boiled off or was stripped away by Ixionis' harsh radiance before the skyshield could repair itself.

When would you place the destruction of Damocles? I don't think canon is very specific on this point, but I've seen a wide range of dates from other fan material. I've also seen some fan material placing the Pyrithians here (as well as the Pachydermions from Patera).

Damcles' destruction would have been before the Great Rain of Fire -- Sarimaar was already long a desert when Rowena first set foot on its frost-crusted sands shortly after the end of the first Beastman Crusade and the raising of the First T.H.R.O.N.E.. Colonization took place between the First and second Crusades, but the Second Crusade and the ensuing Thrid Afridhi War saw an end to further expansion into the Worlds Beyond.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Flora and Fauna

Wyftwood.
Wyftwood trees actually cling to the ceiling of most of the larger shallow-subsurface caverns of Sarimaar. A tree’s main taproot protrudes through the crust, a dull gray spike striped with copper conduit channels. The taproot acts as lightning rod, since the electrical discharges from the planet’s sandstorms are a wyftwood tree’s main source of energy. It takes five to ten Sarimaaran years for a wyftwood to build up enough energy to finally flower, which happens during the next surface sandstorm season.

Once it does, crystalline-petaled flowers open on the branches, attracting various species of cavern-dwelling insects. Some are drawn to the cold, yellowish light shed by the flowers, others by the sticky energy-rich, slightly luminescent nectar. Those that withstand the slight jolt of electricity on drawing too close to the flowers are covered in its pollens thanks to the electrostatic effect. It is not uncommon to see the huge cave moths fluttering from grove to grove, leaving shimmering trails in the air as they shake off the sparkling pollens.

The various races have made abundant use of wyftwood: the nectar and sap are both highly prized as a nutrient-rich food source. The flowers, if cut, can be used much like the glands of fire beetles on Mystara. When the flowering season is over, the flowers wither and drop a number of seed-pods, which are used as high-density, portable energy sources, the domestic and military uses of which are too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say, a single seed can heat and light a small home for approximately one month or run a medium-sized vehicle for about that long. One seed holds enough power for 6d6 bolter discharges, or 3d6 uses of a capacitor staff (which is, itself, made from branches of the tree, tipped with an iron charge-chamber on one end, and focal-dispersal housing on the other).
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm

It is not uncommon to see the huge cave moths fluttering from grove to grove, leaving shimmering trails in the air as they shake off the sparkling pollens.

Don't know why, but this part of the description really stands out for me. I love the idea of giant cave moths flying around underground pollinating these things.

When the flowering season is over, the flowers wither and drop a number of seed-pods, which are used as high-density, portable energy sources, the domestic and military uses of which are too numerous to list here.

For some reason this line made me think of the aetheric spiders and the aetherweb. The combination of the natural/magical world and the technology of the Galactic Federation is what makes Blackmoorian magitech so unique for me.

The whole description also made me think about the Netflix series Stranger Things. While wyftwood, and possibly other life forms, have evolved and adapted to life on Sarimaar, what would happen if they were brought to Mystara? Would they be 'manageable' or would they grow out of control, perhaps interacting with the natural flora and fauna on Mystara in strange and unpredictable ways. What would happen if modern era Mystarans found some ancient cache of Sarimaaran artifacts, but didn't have the knowledge to manage them correctly?

Anyway, this has inspired me to go back to the Shimmering Lands and work on something I'd put down for quite a while. Hopefully I'll be able to share that in short order.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Chlimpman wrote:For some reason this line made me think of the aetheric spiders and the aetherweb. The combination of the natural/magical world and the technology of the Galactic Federation is what makes Blackmoorian magitech so unique for me.

The whole description also made me think about the Netflix series Stranger Things. While wyftwood, and possibly other life forms, have evolved and adapted to life on Sarimaar, what would happen if they were brought to Mystara? Would they be 'manageable' or would they grow out of control, perhaps interacting with the natural flora and fauna on Mystara in strange and unpredictable ways. What would happen if modern era Mystarans found some ancient cache of Sarimaaran artifacts, but didn't have the knowledge to manage them correctly?

Whereas on Mystara, Men found ways to magically re-create or meld the Federation's tech to suit their needs, leaning very heavily on the magic side of the equation, I'm going for a bit of the opposite approach on Sarimaar: away from Mystara's magical energy field(s), the magical parts of their tech begin to break down, and they have to lean on the native tech to keep their machinery afloat (so to speak). Which, I think, should be both vaguely familiar but distinctly alien in nature.

Hmm. How would Sarimaaran artifacts function on Mystara, given their retro-reverse-engineered nature, separated by a few thousand years of development...? I may have to develop a bit more of it before I see if any more trends start to pop up.

Chimpman wrote:Anyway, this has inspired me to go back to the Shimmering Lands and work on something I'd put down for quite a while. Hopefully I'll be able to share that in short order.
:ugeek: Good, good... everything is going according to plan... :D
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Remember Darzy, from Threshold #15?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:35 pm

RobJN wrote:Remember Darzy, from Threshold #15?

Indeed I do :) ... but who is this Storm Lord? That's something new :twisted:

I am still very intrigued by Sarimaar. References to the Storm Lord of course, make me think of Eberron's House Lyrander - something that might be intentional especially given the description of Vara-candra (also from the same article in Threshold #15 - Flight of the Nachtklaue).

Getting back to Darzy, she obviously shares much in common with the Progeny (perhaps with the two sisters themselves), but at the same time there are some big differences as well. She is smaller, and suffers from the effects of a 1 G gravity, the primitive warforged/iron golem was apparently programmed to protect her (waking up when her "coffin" was tampered with), and perhaps most telling... she has black hair (and almond eyes). The similarities to the Progeny suggest to me that she (like them) has some kind of fey origin. The last two items however get me to wondering if her "mortal" side is different from that of the Progeny and the Heirs of Andahar. Almond shaped eyes and black hair makes me think Alphatian, but I'm sure there are other possibilities. It all depends on how old she actually is. If she dates back to the Blackmoorian era, then and Alphatian heritage is of course very unlikely.

Going back and re-reading her entry in Threshold #15 though did get me to thinking some new ideas - foremost among them, that perhaps there might be a way to reconcile (at least some aspects) of my Vaniae with your version of Sarimaar. For example the thought that Darzy may have some Alphatian heritage immediately made me think of Vaniae's main BBEG - Brissard (who is an avatar of the immortal - think Ming the Merciless). That could work if Brissard somehow came across Blackmoorian "tech" and somehow perverted it for his own purposes.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here (and I'm sure you have your own plans for this character), but I'd love to get back into developing some of these ideas.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Any more thoughts about the Red Wanderer? I'm really curious to see more of what M-Mars is like in Thorn's World.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Next

Return to Mystara