Magic

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: Magic

Postby Robin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:45 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:Hey hihame and Robin...Would you guys just quote the parts that you are responding to in a post? This is a great topic...but since I lasted posted in this thread I was trying to "catch up", and with all the "requoting" going on...I was having a hard time keeping up with what was being discussed. And I think you both made a lot of great points on the subject!

Thanx

Robin...have you read Accounts of an Apprentice? Because I like what you said here:
Robin wrote:The secret of a secret is that it can never be kept secret.
It will always spread...slowly or instantly, exponentially, or slumbering.

No I have not..even unknown of it..have to check it someday. thanx

And slightly editing your post Robin...
Robin wrote:[size=100]"The secret of secrets is they can never be kept secret.
A secret will always spread...whether slow or instantaneous, exponentially, or unconsciously slumbering through the populace as unfounded rumor.
Yet it isn't only men who keep secrets, all races are guilty of pride. Telling others in confidence the greater mysteries they have unearthed. Nearly everyone wants knowledge or power in Glantri...and through these, recognition. OR is it the other way round?"

This would be a great quote, possibly modified a little, to use in a future "episode" of Accounts. Perhaps it should be uttered by a PC or NPC of your creation? Afterall, the root/essence of its nature is your creation. Unless you took this from somewhere else?

The basic idea is that secrets never last and ALWAYS surface, and spread like wildfire...or like russian fairytale said; faster than a rumor, or a gossip...and that is way faster than all we know of. :P

Anyway...got any characters in mind? I think Talyn is a good example! I really like the idea of each of our campaigns being a different "thread" or reality unfolding. Different actions lead to different events, stemming form a similar point, or similar points, along the thread/yarn of time/history! Whatever happens to Talyn in the Fall & Rise of the Canolbarth DID happen to her! Possibly as an Immortal, she becomes aware of all of these strains of reality she lived. Thus becoming aware of all of Mystara's realities! What do you think?

Interesting. Talynn was fun to work with a treu viable and living character, especially with her ragtag group of companions (for those who think what are they talking about read Threshold magazine alfheim). In my campaign, I have her as a background, and when Professor vander Klil will venture through elven territories he'll soon envounter her too, ( more in my Blog in the future (after Ethengar)).

So you have some PCs? Show up at a convention, and play in Zendrolion or micky's campaigns...as an example..."Suddenly the world is different. Apparently the door you passed through crossed paths with another strain of possibility. Mystara is still Mystara, your characters still sense they are on planetside. But things have changed...
How? Well you are just going to have to find out!"

If I could(money/time) go/dare to go(social) to conventions again I would :lol: ..I like the variety given by each differnt gamer alike. But my money is on an alltime superlow (less than 140 euro/monh to life from) and socially I have bad(very bad) experiences, so I dare no more. ;(

OR perhaps your PC/NPC already exists in their campaign...but has different agendas than they do in yours. This takes into account two timelines merging, or two of the same character(s) existing in the same reality. It is possible they could even wind up as adversaries. Though doubtful true enemies. That would mean changing the entire character of the characters...ha ha. :mrgreen:
Then there wouldn't be a point in adding them in the first place! This is perhaps a topic for a Skype or person to person conversation, as too much explaining might be involved! Or does it make sense as I have written it?

That would be nice..I like my creations being used by others...a different reality, a different life.
Writing works best...I never use skype...1st my pc does not keep up with it, secondly I know that skype's backdoors are used extensively for hacking..so no go with me. all important stuff is even on an older Pentium 3 PC, disconnected from the net, and I use memory sticks to bring things back and forth where i need them
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Birchbeer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:14 pm

I think as magic became more rare you might see something else happen... instead of more Radiance casters over time, there may be groups formed to combat them. Thus causing there to be less users As the secret gets out, you'll eventually have folks who don't want normal magic lost. Immortals would get involved too. Something simple as a "detect radiance" spell would work to ferret out who is a radiance user. There would be knightly orders against them, secretive mage assassin groups. You'd also have folks trying to restore magic as well, to either remove the connection to radiance or figure out some way to feed energy back into it.

So Glantri doesn't necessarily need to blow up but it would be a low magic world. Very different than the way Mystara is usually looked at. I also think the world could get to a point where it is a very precarious pinnacle where if the radiance hunters fail then magic would fail and it would be a mess. Similar to Forgotten Realms after Mystara dies...
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:15 pm

While penning down a post in the Pearl of Power topic http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16326
I am thinking...

As according to AC10-TSR9211-D&D-Mystara-Bestiary of Dragons and Giants Dragons are used as a source for components to create magical weapons and armor (Scales, teeth, blood, bones, etc.
Relics (created by Immortals) enable Humanoids to create other specialized magic items.
Magical plants are used as source for potions/salves/ointments/philters/balms/bandages/thee/food etc
Magical Animals imbue their effects upon other materials or upon creatures
The radiance (or as i suggested also Nature/Mystara itself/elemental Planes nearby) enable spells to be cast
Precous metals and gems (thus the most pure forms of metals/matter) are used to carry these effects and imply them upon their bearer.Or... are used to draw magic from to use elsewhere.

What is the durability of all this magic, radiation halves once generation orso, thus magic too? is it replenished? Where/what is the reolenishing source? When will that be empty? everything has an end..somewhere?

Together with the canon (RC, amongst others) limit of magic that can be used at once (two rings, 2 weapons, 1 armor, 1 necklace) and
No two magical effects (be it produced by item, or spell) with the same general effect can be working simultaneously. It will always be the strongest, which will function and
No more than 1 dose of similar or related magical power can be carried on a entity per natural Hit Dice the entity has.

...thinking...
questioning; Why do common humans rarely use magic, as it seems thus abundant available on Mystara, as almost any adventures comes back home with 3 to 4 magic items from any quest, where are all the magic items going.

Ok some will be nullified in theDay of Dread, some will be lost/stolen/retaken elswhere, but the brunt of this bounty does not appear within the hands of the commoners, and it could not flood the upperclasses

...thinking
Questioning..: what would the contraindications be if you do NOT follow the rules of limit upon magic items. I assume a sort of magic poisoning seems most reasonable, resembling minor curse effects, and major effects upon more powerful items or even spells.

thinking...

Assume a mighty warrior, bearing an armore of magic, rings, boots, belts, jewelry, weapons and even some spells applied by his spellcaster friends... would a simple spell then not cause him to cross the limit and affect him dearly with magic poisoning?
never underestimate a first level spell, thus becomes more true...

harhar :twisted:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Ok...back to this topic.

As I delve deeper and deeper into the Matter on the Great School of Magic (GSM) and the Radiance in this topic http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17435 more and more interesting information comes forth.
Please keep reading as this give great Game information on this matter (and of Glantri)

The sources I used herein are Gazetteer 3, Glantri Kingdom of Magic, Test of Darkness (adventure from GKoM), Wrath of the Immortals, the various Almanacs and my earlier calculations herehttp://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15838#p178660

Combined Canon info;
1 Radiance use will increase.
2 Radiance is a sphere of disease effect, a sphere of direct effect and a sphere of spell effect.
3 increase usage of the Radiance will affect the Direct effect sphere and the sphere of spell effect
4 Radiance is at -10.000'below the groundlevel of the GSM
5 Glantri City lies in a River Valley with mostly higher areas around it
6 There is a Sphere(oid) effect of darkness below ground
7 This darkness does also expand
8 Suggested it is linked to a power source far below
9 The Radiance is using energy from the Plane of Energy
10 The radiance will eventually affect Magic on a Global scale
11 The Radiance its source of energy is exchanged to Entropy in 1010 AC
12 Test of Darkness describes a light-absorbing darkness in the period following the WotI events.
13 Somewhere in 1013 AC the Radiance its source of energy is exchanged back to the Plane of Energy.

Then adding this together with my calculations on the Radiance and some fanon information of the region by Sturm(I believe) we get the following;

Located at 10.000ft= 1mile+1573,33 yard. Ceiling Located at -9500’.dating; natural gas chamber (millions of years ago), changed by the Immortals, molten-solidified floor. Containing; Radiance (nuclear engine of the FSS Beagle changed by Old One near 3000 BC, and Immortals between 630 BC and 350 BC, molten-solidified walls, stalactites/stalagmites/columns). Ceiling containing; molten metal drills of Redfen Foundry (3435 BC) and at least one hidden opening (by fate and chance behind a molten column) leading to chamber 000.
The Chamber of the Radiance is a natural cavity within the crust of the Megalith which is Mystara. The gas in a series of stacked ‘bubbles’ were discovered by the Blackmoor geophysicists as early as 3500 BC, and soon ways of exploiting this natural source of energy where created. Whatever reason biologically this gas or the gas chambers had, is currently (1000AC+) unknown, and without the gas this knowledge is irretrievable.
The Redfen Foundry continued to pump up the gas, and due this pumping the ground slowly sank down. Layers upon layers of new buildings were created to enable the precious gas to be won. First in 3065 BC, the Blackmoor people discovered that the amount of gas diminished, and became more difficult to obtain, so they decided to drill deeper. They eventually reached the final gas chamber filled with pressurized pure volcanic gas at 10.000’ below the surface.
A few decades after delving this gas, many small earth quakes raked the region, and the desire for the gas changed. Then in 3000 BC the Great Rain of Fire, destroys Redfen, literally igniting it. The fire even reaches the lower cavern where it causes the remaining volatile gas to burst into flame. The stone walls of the former gas chamber started to melt, thus intense was the heat, and this molten stone created Stalagmites, stalactites and even several stone columns of very hardm yet almost glass-like stone.
On the surface a miles high flame pillar ignites all combustibles and causes an unstoppable firestorm running over the whole region. It burns and melts away almost all memory of the Blackmoor era except the stone and clogs of molten metal.
When the fires dies down, just after the Rain of Fire an Old One moved and modified the Nucleus of the Spheres from the Blackmoor Empire to be placed in the former now empty 350’wide 500’ high gas chamber, located 10.000’ below the ruins of Redfen.
Between 630 BC and 350 AC Immortals discover and alter the Nucleus of Spheres and thus create the Radiance, all to increase the number of Energy immortals. Other Immortals soon follow and alter it again, now to drain magic/energy from Mystara. In 450 AC the Flaemish slaves of the Overlord were send to Mystara to research the strange energy it discovered on the world where its Crystal Drakes originated from, and the Fire Wizard’s Academy is created on the ruins of old Redfen, where many other magic is discovered, taught, learned and spread. With this teaching and the battle against the Overlord, the knowledge of the Radiance (or better said the knowledge of a strange new and powerful source of energy on that location) is lost to most, although some later FWA students (including Etienne D’Ambreville) are aware there must have existed a reason that the FWA was created where it is.
When Etienne eventually rediscovers the powerful magic, an eventually he also locates the ancient worker tunnels down together with the drill pipe (which he never knew what it was) ending in the Chamber of the Radiance. Before becoming affected by the radiance, he discovered its powerful use and danger, and used it to become an Immortal only five years later, keeping this a secret to all.
When in 1000AC, immortals of energy discover the drain on global energy by the Radiance, which will eventually lead to the disappearance of magic in total, a debate follows, turning into a violent dispute, and eventually war; Wrath of the Immortals. When a group of adventurers led by a freshling Immortal from the original alien vessel Blackmoor gained powerful knowledge of, discovered the Radiance, they caused Etienne to disappear (other say he was taken away by an Old One).
Instead from energy, entropy was now drained with each use of Radiance. As the Radiance its radius was still expanding with each use, an area of light-absorbing darkness is created around the already created energy based sphere. As if each use adds a thin layer around the existing Sphere of Radiance.
When this is restored later (1013 AC??) either naturally, or by Immortals, or even an Old One (this and exact when is unknown), the darkness does not cease to be, but is further pushed outside by the growing energy-based sphere within. This Shell of Darkness thus created in its short period by Radiance users has gained a width of about 40’, thus still reflecting the period it drew from Entropy. As of 1010 AC the Radiance has a diameter of effect of 500 miles, but this increases with each use of the Radiance.
The Shell of darkness has already penetrated the lower regions of the structures beneath Glantri City and the GSM, and will eventually reach the surface. Currently everybody still thinks it is a Sphere of light consuming darkness, instead a shell, and as such the discovery of its ongoing expansion will cause fear. When the shell surfaces and starts to affect the GSM and the city, it will of course have great contra effects, until it is discovered that it is not a sphere but a shell.
It is canonnically unknown if sunlight will pierce this shell in a weakened state, bypass it, or be repelled by it.
The weakened state will cause a shady realm, if bypassed it will create a Glantri living under a dark dome as seen from the outside, but from within it would still be the same, but when it repels the sunlight Glantri will succumb to an eternal night where only magic light and fire shine, held within a shell of light absorbing darkness. Either way this will have social, economical and fore all political effects.
As such I chose to take the sunlight bypassing the dome, but being reduced inside by 50% in brightness and intensity.(making it nonharmful to those normally harmed by sunlight. This gives way more interesting game possibilities without removing another section of the Known world.

I effect we have several Radiance radia to mention
1 The deadly range, stretching about 5000’ away from the Radiance, however it is also blocked by natural Salt and metal bearing stone layers.This is a constant and will only violently expand into a wasting disease when the Radiance explodeds.
2 The Sphere radius. This is the sphere which is created by the Radiance users and is currently 9950’ away from the Radiance. However each use does expand it.
As of 1010 AC there was a surge of Radiance based energy causing the amount of Rad Force drained to go from 214 to over 500 Rad causing a week of no magic. With the exchange of Entropy instead of Energy, this was set back to 471 Rad, meaning that over 200 Rad were added by the sudden surge. However, Radiance users still add an increase in the field radius with each use of the radiance.
3 The power radius. This is the Sphere that enables Radiance users to use the Radiance. This is currently 500 miles from Glantri City. But as the effect is only the surface section of the Radiance sphere, it is on a horizontal plane at 10.000’ below the ground. This is 1mile+1573,33 yard, making the actual power radius 501mile+1573,33 yard. Like the Sphere Radius this will expand with each Radiance use.

As of 1013 AC it is noted that the Radiance draws on Energy again, which means that roughly 3 years Radiance users did increase the Sphere based on Entropy instead of Energy.
Following the earlier estimates I did make on the Radiance (see table) you see there was a total Radiance Drain of 7 Rad in this period. (There was a decline because the most frequent user and leader of the Brotherhood of the Radiance Ettienne was removed/killed). This 7 Rad did create a darkness shell around the energy shell of 42’, as each Rad used increases the field by 7’.
The initial sphere when discovered was 6400’due leakage by damage/wear/atomic decay/etc. The initial surface power radius was 497 miles.
Each Radiance used increases the Sphere radius by 7’, and the surface power radius by half a mile.
I have made the surface diameter an estimate as calculating each of these seperately was way too much work and an estimate was enough for game play.

So redoing and expanding the table I done earlier

In text and timeline this comes to be as followed;

Timeline of effects
1013 AC; The darkness is now at 51’below the surface, and just penetrated the floor of level -3. Members of the secret craft of Water Elementalism have already left their secret underground chambers but did not explain what happened below out of fear of their secret chambers be discovered. The testing grounds are also affected by the darkness, but due the change in Headmaster of the GSM, this area is abandoned until further notice. (Exams are now done differently), thus nobody else notices the encroaching darkness. Adventurers rediscover the Wizard Warrens at level -3 floor level at -50’ which is mostly affected by the darkness.
1014 AC ; The darkness is now at 30’below the surface, has fully affected the 3rd and 2nd underground levels; The return of the adventurers last year spurs many mages, guards and others to start investigating the Light absorbing darkness. Several witches discover that some of their spells are unaffected by the Day of Dread they keep it secret, but continue their research. Frostmages had already discovered much earlier that their elemental form of magic was mostly unaffected by the Day of Dread, but these mages live far away.
In 1015 AC; the darkness is now at 9’ below the surface and has affected the 1st underground layer, including the temple of Rad. The fear of the encroaching darkness causes some teachers and students to study it inside.
In 1016 AC; the darkness has broken the surface and envelops the first 12’ of the GSM, thus the whole ground floor up to 6’. Greatly affecting studies, as such many students are sent home until a solution is found. The mages discover that the lower levels are still dark, but no longer affected by the light-absorbing effect. The parliament ‘s debates are heavy, many are afraid that the city will be swallowed up in the darkness and what lives within. Many commoners relocate to family members further away, as the darkness crawls over the ground at about 350 feet from the GSM. The nobility does not, for it would lessen their magical powers and political input. Fear, insecurity and panic runs amok, is the source of magic (which many know is located somewhere below Glantri City) running out? What will happen within?
In 1018 AC; the darkness has reached a height of 33’ affecting both ground floor and the 2nd floor. Many lower chambers are now taken as (temporary) classrooms as the darkness also has its benefits, nobody can see what is done below. The testing grounds are in full use again, the wizard warrens, and the upper rooms are now in effect the Great School of Magic. More research discovers the 4th and 5th layers, but the source of the darkness is still unknown. Outside the darkness breaches ground level up to 940 feet from the GSM. The spectres of the 1st floor escape and reside from there on in the darkness shell.
In 1020 AC; the darkness has reached a height of 54’ above the surface, affecting the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor, and 4th floor 4’ high, just enough to walk through. On ground level the darkness has spread to 1300’away from the GSM. It is not thick or deep, but one misstep and you tumble in the water covered by the darkness. Sticks and ropes are used to prevent this. Alexander Platz, the Parliament building, House of Ministers and several other buildings nearby are now partially affected by the Darkness. Many Boldavian vampires become interested in this effect, as other undead mages who shun the light of the sun. Many students see the fun in playing on the Alexander Platz a freaky game of Hide and Seek, as the darkness there is only a few feet high on a great section of the Platz.
In 1022 AC; The Darkness has reached a height of 82’ affecting the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor fully (up to 22’), the second floor has been fully released of its nasty effects, only the lower 2’of the 3rd floor is free. It is now discovered that the Sunlight does pass the darkness shell, but is reduced in power and intensity to about 50% of its normal range. The Government (and many nearby living residents of Glantri) relocate temporarily its business elsewhere in town. They now know that in a few years the darkness will have released their favourite buildings.
1024 AC; The Darkness has reached the Height of 110’, fully grasping the 5th to 7th floor, releasing the 3rd and 4th floor. The circumference of its effect is now about 330’away from the centre (which lies in the middle of the Old Keep (aka Tower of Experiments). The city slowly splits itself up socially; those who enter the Darkness on a regular base and those who do not want to do this at all. The number of Vampires slowly increases as are the victims. Many vampire hunters come in and many a vampire noble finds its demise on a magical blade.
1026 AC; the darkness has now reached a height of 138’ and only the towers still pierce the sphere of darkness. The 9th, 8th, 7th levels are fully enveloped by the darkness; everything below 89’ is shrouded. The area of effect is 1600’ feet from the GSM and most nearby buildings are now fully enwrapped in darkness, roughly every 230’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower. The Gorevitch-Voslany Manor is retaken by its owner, and now the blinds and curtains are open for the first time in history. New laws are set up to prevent commoners from becoming a gourmet dish for vampires and to prevent them from turning against them, but as soon as they are created they are broken on both sides. The Vampire Necromancer Gorevitch-Voslany takes control over the Spectres (and their recent ‘offspring’-aka victims ) and forces them to stay in the darkness. This makes up a great defence as you can only enter/or leave the sphere under guidance of powerful necromantic (or clerical) wards. As such Clerics become illegal within several miles of the city by ordinance of the Princes (predominantly the undead ones). An unknown hero with assistants appears, and together they guide several groups of commoners away from the city.
1028 AC; The 166’high darkness has a firm grip on the 9th, 10th and upper parts of 8th level, but the lower levels are fully in use again. Roughly every 160’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.
The GSM flourishes (though in a perpetual shroud), and more mages discover the source of the Radiance and its effects. Almost 2000’away from the GSM the Darkness sphere hits the ground, towering 166’ high, only the many towers break through the darkness, but even those near the GSM aren’t high enough to enable this. The Great Library now also enwrapped in the darkness tries to cope with its problems. The Government slowly returns to their buildings as the lower sections become usable again.
1029 AC; only the highest sections of the GSM are still within the darkness which summit is at 201’. The whole building and most of its surroundings are now shrouded. The radius of the sphere is 2400’=800yrd away from the GSM, which means most of the city, now has to cope with the darkness. Roughly every 200’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.
The slums however, as being located on a somewhat higher ground level are less affected, and many of the commoners from the inner city have relocated here. Several wooden structures have thus been removed and a hastily erected stone structure set in its place. However, the fear is here that the darkness will eventually grow that large it will affect even this. Glantri City’s population is reduced by 25% as many relocate to nearby towns and cities. The unknown hero and his companions help here again, but they find themselves severely hindered by the Glantrian bureaucracy and rulers. They actually don’t like the relocation, as this affects the direct income of Glantri City. In 1030 the Hero (still unknown) disappears, many think he is murdered by the Princes of Glantri.
1033 AC; The radius of effect is now 2800’=933yrd from the GSM and roughly every 230’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 2500’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1036 AC; The radius of effect is now 3200’=1066yrd from the GSM and roughly every 270’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 2930’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high, and at 2500’almost 30’),
1040 AC; The radius of effect is now 3670’=1223yrd from the GSM and roughly every 300’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 3300’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1041 AC; The radius of effect is now 4176’=1392yrd from the GSM and roughly every 348’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 3800’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1044 AC; The radius of effect is now 4680’=1560yrd from the GSM and roughly every 390’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 4200’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. An unknown grey clothed mage (??) and companions guided several students in the last decades towards the knowledge of the Radiance. When they almost killed the Radiance lich Brannart McGregor, they become severely hunted by the state until they disappears. Many see the resemblance with the Hero assumed to be murdered in 1030 AC. They are not seen again, but the number of students aware of the Radiance and its power increases. The influx in new "radiance Students" in the last decades made the knowledge more difficult to keep secret, more willing students follow soon. Many pride around with their awesome magic, others are forced to tell their source of magic (either by magic or trickery).
1050 AC; The radius of effect is now 5184’=1728yrd from the GSM and roughly every 432’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 4750’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1051 AC; The radius of effect is now 5772’=1Mls+164yrd from the GSM and roughly every 481’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 5290’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
Image of the sphere here http://oi67.tinypic.com/90re6b.jpg
1055 AC; The radius of effect is now 6360’=1Mls+360yrd from the GSM and roughly every 530’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 5830’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1060 AC; The radius of effect is now 7032’=1 Mls+584yrd from the GSM and roughly every 586’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 6450’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1065 AC; The radius of effect is now 7704’=1Mls+808yrd from the GSM and roughly every 642’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 7050’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1070 AC; The radius of effect is now 8376=1 Mls+1032yrd’ from the GSM and roughly every 698’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 7770’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1075 AC; The radius of effect is now 9048’=1Mls+1256yrd from the GSM and roughly every 754’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 8300’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1080 AC; The radius of effect is now 9720’=1Mls+1480yrd from the GSM and roughly every 810’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 8910’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1090 AC; The radius of effect is now 10.392’=1Mls+1704yrd from the GSM and roughly every 866’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 9525’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. A second week of no magic pops up in the middle of the year (beginning of summer),
1095 AC; The radius of effect is now 11.064’=2Mls+168yrd from the GSM and roughly every 922’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 10.140’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Magic has become rarer, but individual research led to the rediscovery of ancient natural sources of magic (Several wizards (Witches, Elementalists, Necromancers, Druids) would start to study the few sources of magic NOT affected by the Radiance, and as thus whole new streams of magic very slowly become known. However a 16 intelligence or higher is needed to study magic or advance further. As such the number of Radiance based magic users drastically decreases in time. Magical beings(elves, Dragons, Fairy etc) become affected and must adept to the original sources of magic, move away or perish.
1100 AC; The radius of effect is now 11.736’=2Mls+392yrd from the GSM and roughly every 978’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 10.760’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1110 AC; The radius of effect is now 12.408’=2Mls+616yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1034’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 11.370’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1150 AC; The radius of effect is now 13.080’=2Mls+840yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1090’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 11.990’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Druids have now fully returned to pure natural magic instead using Radiance affected natural magic.
1200 AC; The radius of effect is now 13.752’=2Mls+1064yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1146’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Elementalists all discover how to draw upon the Elementals without being affected by Radiance magic.
1250 AC; The radius of effect is now 14.424’=2Mls+1288yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1202’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1300 AC; The radius of effect is now 15.096’=2Mls+1512yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1258’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Necromancers finally discovered their source of magic unaffected by the Radiance.
1350 AC; The radius of effect is now 15.768’=2Mls+1736yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1314’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1400 AC; TThe radius of effect is now 16.356’=3Mls+172yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1146’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Each season now begins with a week of no magic. Magic items are a once-in-a-lifetime find due the regular waves of anti magic The GSM is now run by Charlatans and Undead. The magocracy has collapsed. Glantri is ravaged by bandits, Humanoids, barbarians, lycanthropes and undead and is totally infiltrated by religious movement. Immortals noticed the decline of magic within their clerics reduced the number of followers, and thus affecting their power. They soon researched and decided that the clerics from now on draw power directly from them, but must thus be much sparser in using this magic and according to the will of the Immortal. Chaos reigns. A large group of Glantrian commoners combine and move away to mid Brun under the guidance of an unknown leader in grey cloak. He refuses to tell his name, but the people call him “the grey man”. It is known that he is a fervent opposing force to the current and former Magocracy, as such he is hunted. Several Undead mages suffer under his blade. He is accompanied by friends with a variant of abilities.
1450 AC; The radius of effect is now 16.860’=3Mls+340yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1405’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. A new source of magic is discovered; Mana, or better said magical energy from the planet itself; in effect a combination of Necromantic (on life), druidic (on nature), elemental magic. The mage absorbs this magic by memorization and meditation on specific locations and can release it later as a spell he knows…this makes them very adaptable as they store spell levels as Mana, and can cast any spell they know from it anytime they want, at the cost of the spells normal level. Wells of Mana are created, and Mana temples, but there also exist Mana depleting sources, and even areas of no magic draining Mana completely. Radiance users are still the most powerful mages, but their number drops every year by battle, age, disease or misfortune. Radiance Liches discover they can draw energy from life itself like Necromancers and thus increase their power.
1500 AC; The radius of effect is now 17.280’=3Mls+480yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1440’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. Life under the dome is Harsh, continually shrouded and almost locked out from the world beyond the commoners are now living a slave like existence or as food source for the often undead ruling necromantic Radiance users.
1540 AC; The radius of effect is now 17.700’=3Mls+620yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1146’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. The grey Hero and friends of ages past seem to have returned. More people leave Glantri under their guidance and spread over the Known World. They even succeed in entering the Darkened dome and free more citizens of the dreadful fate they awaited. As soon as they succeed he disappears. Some people say there is something Orcish in his face, but further he seemed a normal human, just as his companions.
1580 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.036’=3Mls+732yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1503’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1610 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.288’=3Mls+816yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1531’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1640 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.540’=3Mls+900yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1552’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1660 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.708’=3Mls+956yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1573’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1690 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.792’=3Mls+984yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1587’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1720 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.876’=3Mls+1012yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1594’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high.
1750 AC; The radius of effect is now 18.960’=3Mls+1040yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1601’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. The grey Hero and friends of ages past return. More people leave haunted Glantri under their guidance and spread over the Known World. They again succeed in entering the Darkened dome and free more citizens of the dreadful fate they awaited against the many undead.
1751 AC; The radius of effect is now 19.044 ft =3miles+1068yrd from the GSM and roughly every 1608’ from the GSM the height of the darkness sphere is 15’lower.(meaning that roughly at 12.606’ from the GSM the darkness is 15’high. When reaching this number the power builds up below in the chamber of the Radiance. It takes about 3 hours until the Radiance explodes, and the blasttakes 1 Turn to reach the surface. The following effects mimick an atomic explosion. First a offgoingg surge of air, directly followed by an even stronger ingoung blast of air. The while are turns into an firestorm.
The Radiance sphere effects instantly are gone when the Radiance explodes. As the explosion is deep underground only the direct area above it is affected, however, as it is thus near to volcanic sources, most (if not all) volcanoes will become active (even if dormant) and rake the region with massive earthquakes and eruptions, ashflows, mudstreams and deadly ashrain. changing the region forever.......Far away the Grey Hero and company view how Glantri explodes in a huge mushroom cloud. Even at this distance the wind seems to pull them into the blast where a gigantic firestorm ignites. Their job is done, but they can’t return home as the source which sent them here is destroyed in the blast. They are now in a new world with new dangers, but many commoners (about 50% of the whole original population of Glantri city and country!!) are thankful for their efforts of saving them. They truly have become heroes.
And yes I intend to make a Glantrian map to show you how it looks like when this has happened. :mrgreen:

09-06-2017 removed a few calculative ommisions and flaws, added an important section about the grey hero...more on this later in this topic http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17435
Last edited by Robin on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm

sorry :? for the long table :oops: it was the only way to clarify this easily and understandably. :geek: :ugeek:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 am

Very interesting timeline :) Not sure I'm the source of the fanon info you mention above, I wrote only something about Glantrian wilderlands in the last issue of Threshold.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Sturm wrote:Very interesting timeline :) Not sure I'm the source of the fanon info you mention above, I wrote only something about Glantrian wilderlands in the last issue of Threshold.

thanx...all delved and calculated out of canon. curious what comes fort if you combine everything together.
I was unsure about it too, but Redfen/ blackmoor colony was your creation or not? just to know which credits to place.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Ah yes, Glantri at the time of Blackmoor I imagined in Threshold issue #2.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Ahh..so I was right...ok...continuing with this ;P
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Inspired by various fantasy and horror movies (including D&D )(best visible source; Death Becomes her; where the doctor brings his (undeath) wife to the hospital passing three nuns floating in the hall) here a new spell (currently known only in Ochalea and by students of the GSM in Glantri) :lol: :twisted: . it was hinted in various sources (most non-Mystara) but in Son of Dawn it was mentioned...I believe to remember...or was it Dark Knight? :roll: :?
Eitherway here it is

Float Move created by Robin, Glantri—983 AC
Level 1 Evocation spell (Also very rare and local Clerical Level 3 spell--known as 943 AC)
Range: Caster only
Duration: 1 hour /level caster
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None
Casting/Reading Time; 5 Rounds
Components; 10 minutes of undisturbed meditation, Clean feet and shoes, a pristine soap bubble (free) & a glass bubble (2 gp)(Clerics; 10 minutes of undisturbed meditation and Clean feet)
Float Move allows the caster to float 5 inches from the floor, and move forward and change direction at will according his level.(see table) without actually moving his/her feet, and making less sound. (no sound on dried leaves for example or puddles of water)
The components are consumed and this spell can’t be made permanent. This spell is a magical version of a similar Clerical (immortal unknown) spell from Former Alphatia, where the nuns and patriarchs use this spell to give an ominous feel to their presence. The clerical version is without the ability to float over mud/quicksand or higher on the table, but movement rates are double (see notes in Red). Also only meditation and the spell are needed, clean feet, and nothing more. This spell also enables a person to move without making tracks with their feet, but as most mages wear long robes the robes will still cause tracks of a drawn pattern. This spell is especially handy for invalid mages/clerics (including those affected on the legs by the Radiance/Wasting Disease). This spell can’t be cast on anybody else. The caster can’t carry more than 50% of his personal body weight (thus not including clothing, armor, etc).This spell will be dispelled by any dispelling magic (including Dispel Evil) of a level equal to or higher than the half of the caster’s level. It will also be dispelled by Antimagic, and if the feet of the caster come into contact with the highest material on the table they are able to float over (a kobold throwing mud at a 16th level mage’s feet will dispel the spell, but if it throws ice, or snow falls upon the caster’s feet the spell will not be dispelled. This spell will not affect any falling rates, but will be affected by spells or items (including potions) which increase speed. The caster can move over all surfaces of his level or lower. Though it is possible to float over water, any wind or waves higher than 5 inches will cause the caster to be affected by the water, and the spell will be dispelled.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:03 pm

I finally found the Giff displaying the "Float Move" spell as depicted above

This what I meant with this spell... :shock: :o :mrgreen: :twisted:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

The following spell I took from Dragon Magazine 265 page 34-41 by Jennifer Tittle Stack and readjusted it slightly to Fit Mystara with its cellular structure.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1vSVwZKk8Yk/UXPsYi1JXlI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/9l2nJQLceqI/s1600/tectonic+known+world.PNG
Fault lines are the lines between the cells. as such Mystara has many more fault lines like a non-living planet

Seismic Trigger
Alteration spell
Range: 1 square mile
Duration: One Hour
Area of Effect: 1 square mile
Save: none
Component ; two lodestones shaken inside a tinderbox
This spell is used to release pent-up seismic force points in small doses in a given area, preventing SFPs from reaching a critical level. To determine the number of SFPs released, roll 3d100. To determine what seismic events are triggered by the spell use following table. The force released by a single casting of this spell triggers mudpots, splattercones, solfatara, and sulphurous fumes. Multiple castings on a single area are cumulative, so several careless casters could trigger more dangerous effects. The number of SFPs returns to normal (as low as possible for the are) at a gradual rate of 10 SFPs per day for the are affected. Other spells cast in the effective region also effect the amount of SFPs, look at the descriptions of the spell themselves ( at the end of the spell descriptions which will effect Seismic Force Point is listed the number of SFPs affected.)The area affected as thus will always be the area directly underneath the affected area by that particular spell. A natural build up SFP amount will thus be released in lower amounts of power, and thus reducing the damage. But there is a chance that an area will release the amount by itself, or increase the amount (DM). A natural SFP release will always create minor releases of SFPs in the affected area and thus revealing the impending Doom!! This means that no volcanic eruption will go without also creating fumaroles, mudpots etc. Earthquakes could also do this but mostly they are only quackes or gas releases, geyser stops or creations etc.
The sort of eruption depends on the amount of water in the ground (DM), Ash eruption come to existence in areas with more water within, often they are accompanied by mudstreams., dryer materials (again DM!!) will always erupt in lava eruptions. When a SFP release happens naturally it will only release the SFPs in the method mentioned in the area where the method is possible. Thus an earthquake can happen anywhere, while a volcanic eruption can happen only near existing volcanoes or near fault lines. When enough SFPs are stored within the affected area, it will release them in the easiest way possible. Thus a volcanic eruption is always preceded by tremors and earthquakes, splattercones, solfatara, and maybe even other symptoms. Nature creates its own SFPs but does this only near “openings” from its interior to the surface (being fault lines, volcanoes, holes, areas of wild magic, etc.)
These areas create 1d100 SFPs per happening, and this will be stored if not released. Several areas are unable to release SFPs in an amount smaller than a specific number. Mountains will for example never release SFPs in an amount lower than 50. Some volcanoes will not release SFPs until it has reached a specific amount, and then releasing it all at once in different ways with different amounts. This means that an area can have literally thousands of SFPs without erupting in a global disaster, but releasing it in different ways over a prolonged period. As example are the Hawaii islands which release continuous more than 800 SFPs, with only splattercones, Solfataras, mudpots, and some tremors, this all depending on the ground affected (DM has to determine this if he plans geological happenings in the area of effect), as this spell can greatly change these effects. When this spell is cast it will always release the SFPs in the amount given nearest to the one possible in the affected area. This means that the SFPs will not always be releases as geysers or such. A fault line has a SFP build-up of 1d100/month, a volcano 2d100/month, all other areas about 1d2/year at minimum or 1d10/month at most. A layer of stolid magma, or granite layer or similar hard rock can hold up to 10SFP per feet thickness(DM), and thus store great amounts.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Birchbeer wrote:I think as magic became more rare you might see something else happen... instead of more Radiance casters over time, there may be groups formed to combat them. Thus causing there to be less users As the secret gets out, you'll eventually have folks who don't want normal magic lost. Immortals would get involved too. Something simple as a "detect radiance" spell would work to ferret out who is a radiance user. There would be knightly orders against them, secretive mage assassin groups. You'd also have folks trying to restore magic as well, to either remove the connection to radiance or figure out some way to feed energy back into it.

So Glantri doesn't necessarily need to blow up but it would be a low magic world. Very different than the way Mystara is usually looked at. I also think the world could get to a point where it is a very precarious pinnacle where if the radiance hunters fail then magic would fail and it would be a mess. Similar to Forgotten Realms after Mystara dies...

This is a great idea Birchbeer!!
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 pm

It is alive...!!!! :o
Julius returned :shock: ....A zombie strolls around silently. ;)
you catch my drift :twisted: :mrgreen:

Now only Micky must be returning too ...hopefully ASAP...in one piece and whole
and my madness of creations continues :geek: :ugeek: :P :? :o :mrgreen:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

Ok
Pondering about Antimagic, or magic blocking (no matter the source of magic; be it Radiance affected Magic or older)

Canonnically we have the following;

I would add the following (based on the above and logic), or as it was hinted at canonnically;

Keep in mind lead is a poisonous metals with very nasty side effects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning Save vs poison at +2 per use/contact.Treat it as a very slow poison which can't be removed by Remove Poison/Slow poison magic due its magic resistance, of 1 hp per failed con check made once a month and once a year a concheck to a prevent permanent -1 on con. Lead was also use in white face paint, water tubing so many of the populace would eventually suffer from it.(this was until the 90ties on the western real world still in effect, and globally it still can be found in more backward areas.

Anti Magic spells, although cannonically(Gaz3 and GKoM) mentioned I should place them here; spells like GKoM Sever the Tie blocks all magic use from the affected person, but this will logically also affect spells intended to affect the victim of the spell itself.as thus he can't be affected by that magic too.
However, as I suggested earlier, As all magic currently used is affected/influenced somehow by the Radiance, there exists (or at least did exist earlier) other forms of magic. spells like Sever the Tie (or the spell in Gaz3 hinted at in the law section) are based on the Radiance and thus would have no effect on other magic. When other magic will be (re)discovered, the mages affected by Sever the Tie or similar would be more eager to learn that magic to be functional as a mage again.

Some questions remain;
if canonnically Gold has such an effect on weapons coated with, how can it still be magical itself; Is it only the magic subsiding on the gold affecting only outwards?
Gorgons are Earth Elemental bulls, petrifying prey and devouring it afterwards.Estimating a 40-60 liter of blood within the creature this suggests many gorgons succeeded to enter the Prime Plane, or many Prime Planar hunters decimated the herds on the Earth Elemental Plane to extract the precious liquid, as it is often reffered to in canon sources.
As Greek mythologically Medusae are belonging to the Gorgons, would the blood of Medusae have a similar effect?. it would suit the resistances of Earth elemental Creatures have against magic. Yet would the any blood from an earth elemental creature have such a protective effect (even beyond death)?
And how about creatures with a natural born resistance of magic....an immortal's corporeal body for instance....several canon sources (bestiary of Dragons&Giants) suggest Immortal dragon components being the source of magic...or is this just like the effects dragonblood has of itself...instead immortal magic?.
Then my last question...
Would the blocking of magic also affect immortal magic or only mortal?.
Last edited by Robin on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Just some thoughts from my Blog

1). Important notice from Canon (RC); Spells of magical or clerical origin are stored in the mind of the caster until used. However; when the caster loses consciousness or falls asleep, all spells are lost. This means danger to any caster, because if he/she loses consciousness, he can’t bring any spell out. This is the reason most experienced casters have, several scrolls, rings, staffs or other items able to be used when no magic is memorized or stored within the brain.

Skill; Spell storage (Int/Wis); High-level casters can however, learn a specific skill which enables them to memorize one spell for each intelligence bonus (Wisdom for Clerical classes) even while losing consciousness. This skill can only be learned if the caster is able to cast 5th level magic. The skill adds 10 minutes (1 Turn) to the memorization/praying time to acquire the spells, and the caster chooses which spells will be stored.
If the spells are cast prematurely, or the caster is subjected to forget spells, Anti Magic, severe brain damage or similar before the loss of consciousness appears, they will NOT be available.
The caster must roll his skill check to this ability, and if successful the spells chosen will be available instantly(as long as the spell is still within the mind of the caster before sleep/KO) when the caster awakes from sleep or resumes consciousness as if still memorized. Nothing changed to the spells themselves.
If not successful, the spells will be gone as normal. The skill can be learned from any who has this skill, and needs a free skill slot as per skill rules from the D&D Rules Cyclopedia pages 81-86. The caster is unaware if his skill use is successful or not until he/she awakes. The first time the skill is learned it has a value of 8+1d4, but never more than the current intelligence (or wisdom if clerical) of the caster. This can be increased by learning from another teacher later, but is never higher than the value of that teacher. Casters able to use clerical AND magical spells must choose before which type of spells, and the skill will be based on that type alone, and not the other type.

2). Reducing magical effects; A caster is always able to reduce the effects of any spell he or she is casting, on a successful ability check (Mages; intelligence, Clerics; Wisdom). As some spells have random effects, the reduction will be counted from there. Mostly a caster decreases distance, area of effect, or the final effect. However, the whole spell is used, however small the effect is. This ability does not affect the spell in any other way and normal saving throws do apply. A web spell for example does normally cover an area of 10 feet, with this reduction, it could be used to bind a person.

3). Spelllock. This severe handicap occurs on a magic user of any class which is severely disturbed in casting a spell. The handicap causes the same spell to be cast continuously, thereby draining the caster of all available magic, including items. Artifacts will be nullified for a week at most, but each spell cast drains that amount of spell levels, charges or HD from the items until there is no more magic. Continuous or temporary effects are exempted (example; Bless, Invisibility). If the caster happens to be in an area with magic nearby, the handicap will continue until that magic is empty/suppressed too. This includes all magic items within 10 feet.
This severe condition only happens to those casters who are subjected to a transportation spell of any sort while casting the spell that is repeated by the effect, and failing an intelligence check. The caster will still be transported, but then the handicap will be released. Non magic users and clerics of any kind will not be affected, but could be affected by the magic drain caused by a caster suffering this handicap.
When all magic within 10'is drained, the nasty effect stops.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 pm

As in my post Above I had some questions;...has anybody other ideas? or answers?
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 am

Where are lead and gold antimagic properties mentioned?
However why should one use gold if lead is cheaper? unless one knows of its harmful effect. Still a lead sheet inside the wall should not be harmful. I more or less assumed that was always the case for important government buildings and castles...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:57 pm

gold was described partially in the karameikos novels...
lead was mentioned sparsely in gaz3, Gaz 11, Dragonlord chronicles, Castle Amber, and son of dawn i believe, but more detailed in various Dragon Magazines
Dragon Magazine 023 DUNGEONS AND PRISONS
Do make certain that the cell is escape-proof for the character concerned. Don’t overlook such escape possibilities as teleportation, ethereal movement, astral projection, etc. For example, my brother’s wizard Elrohir required a cubical 200 feet below the lowest dungeon level, sealed with five layers of true lead to prevent teleportation and mental communication, and reachable only by a shaft two inches wide and with liberal quantities of true lead around and above, through which canisters of food drop and air is blown. The shaft through which he was brought into the cell has since been blocked with around twenty tons of granite interspersed with thick sheets of lead. Such a prison is a far better way of imprisoning a character than even killing him, since such a character typically surrounds himself with patriarchs to bring him back to life.

Dragon Magazine 037 The pit of the oracle
Next is the word “Shielded” or “Non-shielded.” A shielded area IS one which is lead-lined to prevent the use of ESP or any sort of X- ray vision to view its contents. The word “(Shielded)” in parentheses means that the area is leadlined, usually to prevent detection of some other shielded area, but has easy methods of entry which may make the shielding ineffectual.

the hand wave of adamantine/mithril alloy in Tomb of Horrors that shuts more, also exists.

Many protection spells use either lead or gold as component (example protection from chaos, barrier, etc) proofing their inherent antimagic (from magic encyclopedia)
The ESP is stopped by 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead foil.
Locate object spells can be stopped by lead ( as by TSR2101-AD&D2-Player's Handbook)
Many other detect spells are mentioned as lead blocking it
Lead sheeting or magical protections prevent the operation of the Claurvoyance/audience spell/crystal ball, and the wizard has some indication that the spell is so blocked. (various sources/adventures)
I also remember an adventure in dungeon where magic shops were sheated with lead, blood of gorgon and gold(inside) beyond normal protections and magical ones...to prevent magic from penetrating.
Den of Thieves mentions lead/gold as a magic barrier

As lead and gold are equally magically exchanged inthe other, their magical resistance would be equal.

I agree to the lead being cheaper, but you'll need more, and there is that danger....especially melting it , between the bricks in the mortar....thus during construction.
and indeed , especially in magic rich nations like Glantri, Alphatia,...maybe alsoDarokin, Thyatis...would use lead/gold in their importat structures...the good think is decorating with gold also increases your impression of wealth to the populace/neighbours/competitors...lead does not so.

my questions still remain;
1....if canonnically Gold has such an effect on weapons coated with, how can it still be magical itself? Is it only the magic subsiding on the gold affecting only outwards?

2.....Gorgons are Earth Elemental bulls, petrifying prey and devouring it afterwards.Estimating a 40-60 liter of blood within the creature this suggests many gorgons succeeded to enter the Prime Plane, or many Prime Planar hunters decimated the herds on the Earth Elemental Plane to extract the precious liquid, as it is often reffered to in canon sources.
As Greek mythologically Medusae are belonging to the Gorgons, would the blood of Medusae have a similar effect?. it would suit the resistances of Earth elemental Creatures have against magic. Yet would then any blood from an earth elemental creature have such a protective effect (even beyond death)...in greater or lesser intensity?

3.....And how about creatures with a natural born resistance of magic....an immortal's corporeal body for instance....several canon sources (bestiary of Dragons&Giants) suggest Immortal dragon components being the source of magic...or is this just like the effects dragonblood has of itself...instead immortal magic?.

4......Would the blocking of magic also affect immortal magic or only mortal?

Any thought on these? :o :geek:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:59 am

I can only give my opinion on question 4: definitely I think Immortal magic would not be blocked.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanx... :) that is at least one answer, with very clear results.

now the others :mrgreen:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 pm

another spell discovered in Glantri...hinted by various sourced (adapted/adjusted from AD&D2 "Sink into Stone"spell)

Sink into Earth created by Earth Elementalist Gabbor de Tiozo of Glantri—892 AC
2nd level Transmutation spell
Range; 0
Duration; 8+1d8 rounds (+1round per Elementalist rank).Rolled by DM)
Area of Effect; Caster and about 1000cn encumbrance
Casting Time; 4
Saving Throw; none
This spell is in fact an adjusted version of Levitation. Sink into earth creates an energy field around the caster enabling him to sink into the ground. The layer of mineral dirt/sand/earth (packed or loose) and even mud, must be large enough to accommodate the body in all three dimensions. When the casting is complete, the caster and not more than 1000 cn/100Lbs (+100cn/10LBS per Intelligence adjustment) companion and gear may move into the earth at 10’ round similar like a Levitation spell but in either direction (not influenced by haste or slow magic). If either condition is violated, the spell fails and is wasted. The ground may have stones within, but these can’t be stones larger than 1’ in diameter’(the spell will still function, but passage is greatly hindered). While in the earth or sand, the caster remains in contact, however tenuous, with the surface and the area around him up to 1’ per level of the caster. The caster remains aware of the passage of time and can cast spells on him while hiding in the earth. The caster (and carried companion/familiar/etc) can breathe normally. Nothing that goes on outside can be seen, but the caster can still hear what happens 10 yards around him, although muffled. The spell’s energy field also move stones and roots smaller than 1’ found in his path 10' aside, but this reduces the movement speed by 1’/round for each 5' of ground with obstructions. Larger objects enforce the mage to cast a spell to remove/bypass the object manually, cast other spells or go around it.
Any time before the duration expires; the caster can step out of the earth through the surface that he entered or any open space. If the spell’s duration expires or the effect is dispelled before he voluntarily exits the earth, he is violently expelled by the shortest distance (DM) and dealt 4d8 points of damage. The following spells may have effect upon the caster if the caster falls within that spell’s’ range;: Stone to Flesh expels the person sinking by the shortest distance(DM) and deals 4d8 points of damage. Dig and Stone-shape deal 4d4 points of damage but does not expel the caster. Transmute Rock to Mud or fully entering a mud area; as the earth is saturated with water; he cannot breathe there, but can still move at 5'/round—he must hold his breath or immediately begin drowning as per Rules Cyclopedia page 90 on Drowning. A character who reaches the stage at which he is making Constitution rolls to keep from drowning, even if he is rescued and does not drown, is considered exhausted, and must rest 4 hours, while suffering a -2 penalty on AC, THAC0, Damage, and -1 on saves. Finally, Passwall expels the caster without damage. If the caster is partially outside the earth, that lowers the amount of damage by the same percentage. Earth elemental creatures can also harm the caster under influence of this spell as normally.
This spell can be placed inside an item (mostly a ring, chain or other gem-holding jewellery) and can be activated up to 3 times a day mostly, or be made permanent enabling the user to move through the earth indefinitely (such an item is valued at 20.000Dc or 150.000Dc respectively, weighing 25cn).
The passage created by this spell can be detected by a Detect Magic spell (revealing Elemental Transmutation magic), or by a Tracking Skill revealing existing tracks suddenly stopped, and if successful with 5 or more, a faint circular pattern on the location of the earth…as if every particle has been shifted somehow(which in fact the spell did).
A stone-brick wall will block passage of the caster, enforcing him to bypass this wall in another fashion.
and if entering an open space through the ceiling, the caster will fall as normal.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:56 pm

So back to Glantri and the Radience.
As can be read in my earlier post http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15838&p=202916#p197003

I have made 8 mile hex maps of the remains of Glantri while and after the Blast.
https://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Br1751ac-710071418
This is the Year 1751 AC when the Radiance explodes.
8 mile hex map
Glantri is destroyed in the blast and any remains dissapear in the subsidence zone(where the ground molten will sink up to 300-400 feet https://sta.sh/026w73dev35g), rapidly covered by a lake, which deposits the radioactive waste at the bottom of the lake.

1 Explosion (Yellow Line on map)

Fireball starts to form in less than a millionth of a second after explosion, several tens of million of degrees: transformation of all matter into gas/plasma, creating thermal radiation as x-rays, which will be absorbed by the surrounding atmosphere.
The explosion reaches 440 ft in one millisecond, 5,700 ft in 10 seconds, but subsides rapidly; after one minute: cooled, no longer visible radiation. The formation of the fireball triggers the destructive effects of the nuclear explosion to 200 miles up. All Elemental Planes in the ground are instantly dispelled and disintegrated. Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; radius: 8 miles (the initial Hex of the city of Glantri).

2 Radioactive Cloud (Red line on Map)
During expansion of the fireball, vaporized matter condenses to a cloud containing solid particles of weapon debris. The Fireball becomes doughnut-shaped, with violent internal circulatory motion, while Air is entrained from the bottom, creating a “mushroom” cloud of dirt and debris sucked up from surface. The blast melts the underground materials, destroys cellular structures and causes a subsidence zone (see graphic right).

3 Air Blast/ Shock Wave (Orange Line on Map)
Pressure wave develops immediately after explosion and moves outward from the fireball
After 10 seconds: diameter of fireball: 5,700 ft, distance of shock front: 3 miles from the surface centre of the explosion (the GSM). The Wave is reflected from surface, both waves merge to create “Mach wave”. The Portal to the Plane of Air will absorb the brunt of the upward Blast and heat, instantly increasing to a size up to a few hundred yards, collapsing soon thereafter due instability, dispersing the radioactive cloud, heat, shock wave, air blast and blown up debris into the Plane of Air (creating an elemental polluted zone there).
Air blast radius (20 psi+): within the initial Glantri city hex causes heavily built stone buildings to become severely damaged or demolished, all other are disintegrated by the blast and fire, fatalities approach 100%.
Air blast radius (5 psi+):within yellow circle causes most residential buildings to collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.
Thermal radiation radius 51.4 km (8,290km²)

4 Thermal Radiation (Red Line on Map).
Reemitted radiation from the fireball creates a secondary thermal radiation (3rd degree burns): Duration: about 10 seconds=1 round (99% of total thermal energy).

5 Initial (prompt/Direct) Nuclear Radiation. (Yellow Line on map)
Radiation releases within the first minute, mostly neutrons and gammas (directly from the explosion or from fission products) dispelling ALL magic in the region.

6 Delayed Nuclear Radiation / Fallout (Grey Line on Map)
Caused by material lifted into the fireball right after the explosion, mixed with radioactive residues of the reactor (activated debris, fission products, ...), a delayed radiation effect and fall out will take place following the dominant wind (N to NW) with further devastating effects; 98% instantly killed in the yellow circle, 50% within the red circle, (40% wounded), 5% killed in the orange zone (45% wounded), 25% wounded within the pink zone. The amount of radioactive fallout is significantly increased due the fact that the explosion was underground. Any creature in the orange zone will have a

7 Mass fires (Red Circle on Map)
Initial fires (started by the thermal radiation) combine and form “super fire”, about 20 minutes (2 Turns) after the explosion. High velocity winds directed towards centre of fire cause a “chimney effect”. Gates to the Plane of Air ruptured causing fires to enter the Plane of Fire. Death caused by heat or suffocation.
there is 100% probability for 3rd degree burns; these extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation.
Without medical treatment, there can be expected between 50% and 90% mortality from acute effects alone within the red circle. Dying takes between several hours and several weeks.
Severe earthquakes are triggered due the subsiding, within the red zone, and medium earthquakes in the pink zone.

8 Wasting Disease.
The survivors suffer wasting disease within the Pink Circle, miles away from the initial explosion; Within 10 minutes (1 Turn), 100% of the survivors will be affected, and perish in 4d12 Hr by failure of the nervous system within the yellow circle. Within the red circle after 3 turns 9+1d10% of the survivors will be affected, and perish in two weeks by failure of the intestinal system, Within the orange zone, 40 miles away from the explosion 1d10-10% of the survivors will contract wasting disease in 1d3+3Turns, becoming lethal in 1d4 weeks by failure of the blood system. Further in the orange zone each individual has a 50+2d20% chance to contract Wasting Disease, which is 1d10-10% lethal in 1d6 weeks by failure of the blood system,

https://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Br1751ac-2-710071155

It is after the Year 1751 AC.
The Radiance has been exploded...with devastating effects upon its region in an already changing world
Final Results
Within the initial hex of the city any structure will be utterly destroyed by rock vaporized, seismic shockwaves, superheated radioactive gas, earthquakes. The whole hex of Glantri city will be destroyed, and subside several hundred of feet, becoming inundated by the rivers. Any creature in the yellow zone will have a 100% (-1% cumulative per year) chance per week to be affected by the wasting Disease.
Within the Yellow circle many fires, will have caused heavy damages to structures, wooden structures are all destroyed (including Forests). Any creature in the yellow zone will have a 50% (-1% cumulative per year) chance per two weeks to be affected by the wasting Disease.
Within the orange zone light damage to structures, some fires Any creature in the orange zone will have a 10% (-1% cumulative per year) chance per month to be affected by the wasting Disease up
Any creature in the pink zone will have a 10% (-1% cumulative per year) chance per year to be affected by the wasting Disease.
Any creature in the grey zone will have a 10% (-1% cumulative per 10 year) chance per year to be affected by the wasting Disease.
Any creature in the fallout hexes (light grey=dust)will have a 25% (-1% cumulative per 10 year) chance per month to be affected by the wasting Disease.
Several rips between the planetary cells cause the water to slowly to dissapear underground...creating a stable lake which no longer feeds the rivers south(The shadow elves break of any contact with this deadly region, and divert the river of death where they can....eventually it will reach the Worldshield, be evaporated, condensed, evaporated again, and cleaned of radioactive waste...this will take decades to several centuries, but eventually the water will reemerge on the surface throufh several wells.
The region is severely radiated and will cause mutations of the few surviving creatures.

Magic
As the Radiance had effects upon Magic, and magic is prevalent in Glantri, the explosion did have great effects too. Many negative Magic locations came too be within the affected region; the effects of these range from anti-magic zones to areas with powerful negative effects (some could have effects like the World Mountain—see GAZ12-TSR9246-D&D-Mystara-The Golden Khan of Ethengar).
As the Planet is a creature biological processes will have a counter reaction creating Good magic zones outside the affected areas; these could have a diverse effect too ranging from elemental location, to similar to the zones in Alfheim (see-- GAZ5-TSR9223-D&D-Mystara-The Elves of Alfheim).

Geopolitical effects.
Within the already changing world the nation of Glantri completely ceases to be. The regions unaffected or less affected start to recuperate the loss and become separate regions. The areas Southwest of the Glantrian Alps take benefit from the waters from the Great Crater, and the new good magic points, surviving Erewan Elves settle here. The various regions combine together in the Confederate of South Glantri to remain powerful enough against the Humanoids of Kolland, Orcus rex, and Ogremoor. The areas against the Ethengar border become New Glantri, where Belcadiz elves and various humans are present. The new good magic location creates balance to them, and a more positive inclination towards Ethengar. Ethengar already has adapted to the lakes, and several have lost their tribal heritage. This side is more at peace. The regions of the northwest also recombined into the Domain de la Nord (The Northern Domain) with many effects still as before the disaster. In the North the provinces Aalban and Klantyre exist along the Forbidden Zone, but although these reflect a lot from before the disaster, fall out greatly affected the nations. Klantyre and Aalban have extended their original borders incorporating the remnants of lost principalities. However, this caused great dissension between both nations and the conflict still continues. The former principalities in the far north still exist, but rulership changed greatly, the undead lost their dominance and taken over by the Followers of the Claymore in an attempt to pacify the region.
The Humanoids of Gobbleton have taken over the former Glantrian town Trintan, which now has become a Freeport for all. This is the most used location to venture within the forbidden zone. The Site Interdit Mortellement (or deadly forbidden zone) is off-limits to most from all other directions. Several towers have been erected by neighbouring regions to supervise what is happening within. Many mutated creatures, monsters and several surviving undead still reside within, but all suffer from radiation or the Wasting Disease.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Previous

Return to Mystara