How much heat a fireball produce?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

How much heat a fireball produce?

Postby oleck » Mon May 29, 2017 5:07 pm

Well any ideas? Im trying to give some logic to a proyect. Does a fireball could melt a soapstone or it would just charge it with heat energy?

i found this information

Physical – Mechanical – Thermal – properties of soapstone
Specific heat capacity 785 J/Kg.°K
Thermal conductivity 12.5 W/m.°K
Melting point temperature > 2912°F = 1600°C (+)
Comprehensive strength 34 MPa (Megapascals)
Transverse strength 12.6 MPa (Megapascals
Permanent linear change
on Reheating to 1022°F = 550°C nearly none (n/a)
Modulus of rupture 13.2 MPa (Mega-pascals)
Apparent porosity
(this is NOT a softness) Non-porous
(or perhaps 99.9% non-porou
oleck
Bugbear

Re: How much heat a fireball produce?

Postby night_druid » Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 pm

According to Dragon Magazine #123, Fire for Effect!, a fireball has a temperature range of 1,250 to 1,950 C, or 2,280-3,540 F. Average temperature of about 1,600C.

As for your question, depending on how hot you make a fireball (probably cooler at the lower levels, higher at 10th or more), the effects depend on the size of the soapstone in question. A small soapstone idol? Probably at least soften it to the point of ruining its value, to causing it to melt completely. A soapstone wall? Probably won't damage it, but would soften the outermost layer, maybe causing a little deformation damage.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby AuldDragon » Mon May 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Fireball does not produce heat of a specific temperature. It creates magical fire that can melt soft metals, ignite combustibles, and deal damage. If you try to decide exactly what the temperature is, you're likely to start ruling that things like saving throws no longer apply because science dictates certain things can't survive the temperature it appears to produce, but the spell is magic, not scientific.

Just let it deal the damage and apply saving throws to determine what is destroyed or damaged by the spell.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Robin » Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Hot enough to burn your balls, cold enough to stop the instant after explosion, not leaving any heat (except igniting combustables).
Ice for example reflects heat before it starts to melt, and thus would only have a faint molten surface, candles however (wax parafine or other, would either be molten in an instant and then harden again, or ignite into flame as being combustable.
Water will also not boil, but a vessel on it could ignite as being combustable.
See it as elemental fire...it has more or less power/effect according the elemental bias table/diagram inn the Rules Cyclopedia page 264
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby rendclaw » Mon May 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Yeah, trying to apply too much logic into a fantasy RPG is going to do nothing but create frustration one of two ways.

For you, because you are going to spend loads of time trying to apply logic into a system that allows for the illogical.

For your players, because once you make all the change you want to make to the game, its not D&D anymore.
AKA DM Brian: Thaco's Hammer Podcast (co-host), and Hammers of the Duchy AP Podcast (Host, Executive Producer).
http://www.thacoshammer.info
http://archive.org/details/HammersoftheDuchy

"Gotcha" rules are a bummer." --Frank Mentzer.

"Sandbox can be fun. But don't go on the all-sand diet; it'll wear out your DM." --Frank Mentzer (again).
rendclaw
Ogre

Postby stebehil » Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 pm

For a semi-logical answer, I´d say that a fireball will not do more than superficial damage to walls and stones, as the time of exposure is minimal. It goes BANG! and is gone again. For fire to damage stone, you need it to burn for some time.
stebehil
Gnoll

Postby oleck » Mon May 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Ok well thx for the anwsers. I you help me a lot. Simply im trying to see how logical could it be to use a soapstone artifact in space to produce heat and the way i thought was to use a magic user to use fireballs on it. The soapstone conserve the heat for a period of time. But eather way i dont know how a fireball will react in space. The other was was to capture a red dragon and use his firebreath to do the job.
oleck
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 30, 2017 7:27 am

This is more of a system question, than a Mystara question, and the answer may vary a bit depending on what ruleset you are using with Mystara.

We recently had a fireball in a 2nd Edition (Spelljammer) game that I am in and there was a lot of discussion about how it works afterwards.

Our GM told us that fireballs cause fire damage - not heat. So what you are basically looking at is someone causing fire damage to soapstone. The damage may cause the soapstone to catch fire - if it is flammable.

Perhaps building a pyre of wood, with soapstone sitting on top of it, and setting light to it with a fireball would be more what you need.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby AuldDragon » Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:Our GM told us that fireballs cause fire damage - not heat. So what you are basically looking at is someone causing fire damage to soapstone. The damage may cause the soapstone to catch fire - if it is flammable.

I meant it doesn't create a specific temperature of heat. :)

Basically, roll an item saving throw. If it passes, the heat and fire cause no damage, for whatever logical reason makes sense for the situation. If it fails, it is damaged or destroyed for whatever logical reason makes sense for the situation.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Return to Mystara