High Tech in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

High Tech in Mystara

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Outside Blackmoor (since it is set in the far past of the Known World) - is there are region or culture in which Aliens or Robots/Androids and high-tech or even mage-tech is present? I am looking for Canon if possible locals I can place such a local that ties into the canon lore. I could add an island where a spacecraft crashed or landed as a way to incorporate the idea I am working on. I am trying to decide if I should use Mystara, Blackmoor or Golarion settings to base my 2nd half of my campaign in since I am scrapping my current campaign setting.

The basic concept is that the players wake up in a lab with wires connected to them inside fluid filled contraptions and a android is monitoring them as they are awaken and discovered they were being experimented on and had their memories manipulated - there previous adventures were memories created in a VR scenarios & they need to figure out what was fact and implanted memory; plus find out why they were being experimented on in the first place.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Re: High Tech in Mystara

Postby Ashtagon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Module CM6 Where Chaos Reigns showcased the oard race.

Physically, these guys look like borg, albeit with slightly different artwork. They don't have the hive mind thing going, but they are very into the aesthetic of merging man and machine in the manner of Star Trek's borg. Their main schtick is that they are a time-travelling race, albeit with very limited ability (essentially, all their time travel is one-way). Their long-term plan is to send agents back in time from their future-empire to the "present" to disrupt the timeline so that their future-empire is the timeline that will eventually come to be.

Having a secret oard base be the ones who kidnap the PCs seems like the best way to have this happen to the PCs.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Khedrac » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:30 pm

There's also a a reasonable analogue of modern earth in an outer plane visiting in IM1: the Immortal Storm. Iirc it's a plane where magic doesn't work though.

Less advanced robots - well there's the gnomish Earthshaker (from CM4), but AC11 (The Book of Wondrous Inventions) extends this to to a realm with lots of them (even if I cannot rememebr what they battle).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Thank you both, I'll go through my stuff & see if I have those. I appreciate the advice too.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:00 am

See also the Blacklore elves of the Hollow World, possibly.

Or they could be from outer space.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:23 am

I'll look that up Ripvanwormer as I do research in preparation for the second stage of the campaign. Thanks for the heads up.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 pm

another idea to look into for blending High Tech and AD&D is the Module
Tales of the Comet
where a crippled Starship crash lands bringing a Borg like Race of Machines that take over the minds of those it comes across

as this Module is more Generic in Nature and not Realm specific it can be used anywhere the DM desires to bring all manner of High Tech devices and such
or
if the DM desires
the ship is not entirely crippled and surviving Crew can take off again taking the PC's with on an adventure they will never forget!
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into my stash of D&D stuff & see if I have that one Lord Sheriff Takari.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Postby oleck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:32 pm

From the Treshold magazine # 3

An island at the sea of dread:

Green Reapers’ Island (Teki-nura-ria)
This small, jungle-covered island ages ago
hosted some sort of ancient and advanced
civilization, as ruins and archeological
remains testify. Nothing is left of the ancient
dwellers of this place, as since a long time
the island is the home of the kara-kara, whose
presence here is greater than in nearby
islands. The kara-kara call this island “Tekinura-ria”,
which means “mountain of death”
in their tongue. Besides the aggressive karakara,
the island is made dangerous by the
stormy waters around it, and by the ever
present “ship-bane” mist. Source: X8 Drums
of Fire Mountain.
oleck
Hobgoblin

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Strictly speaking, neither the Nucleous of the Spheres (relict of an spaceship crashed in the past where Glantri is now), neither the relics in the Falun Caves (see Northern Reaches gaz) are in Blackmoor.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Return to Mystara