How long do giants live?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

How long do giants live?

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm working on a project (Mystara 2300 BC) and was wondering just how long some of the giant races lived for. I know there are several kinds, but I'm most interested in:

Hill
Stone
Frost
Fire
Storm

Is there anything in canon that lists their ages? Anything already done in fanon? Any input folks can give would be greatly appreciated!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: How long do giants live?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

PC3: The Sea People gives Sea Giants as averaging about 400 years (375 + d%). I'd imagine that- as with most things Giantish- age ranges would vary such that the least powerful giants (Hill) would have the smallest average age, and Storm and Sea giants would live the longest.

There might be something in Bestiary of Dragons and Giants, but if so, it's buried inside one of the adventures, as I didn't see anything immediately apparent in the "DMing Giants" section at the beginning.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby stebehil » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I did not find any information in the RC or in the AC 10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants, so it seems that on original sources, there were no lifespans given (or I did not find them). EDIT: I browsed through the adventures, but nothing caught my eye.

In the AD&D2 Monstrous Manual, the following livespans are given:

Cloud 400
Fire 350
Frost 250
Hill 200
Stone 800
Storm 600

The same livespans are found in the 5e Volo´s Guide to Monsters.
Anyway, several hundred years does not sound too bad in any case.
stebehil
Gnoll

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks guys, for the quick response!

It's interesting that stone giants would have the longest lifespan - I was thinking like Cthulhudrew, that the more powerful giants would have the longest lifespans, but I kind of like the concept. Stone is a pretty hardy thing I suppose. It may make stone giants the natural choice for scholar/historian in more civilized and monolithic giant societies.

Anyway, for my project it means that some stone giants alive in BC 2300 could very well have witnessed the Great Rain of Fire. For others it would be 1 to 2 (or more) generations removed. For storm giants, a story that parents could tell children, and for the others 2nd or 3rd hand information. That's still pretty current/close in the grand scheme of things (something like WWI or WWII for my own generation).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby LoZompatore » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:07 pm

According to AC 10 cloud giants could live for hundreds of millennia (yes, so much) but their brain is only able to remember the last few decades so they end up not having any special knowledge or widsom or lore with respect to other races.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby stebehil » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, consider these ages average. It would make for a great story if some stone giant elder is still around, but if some storm giant elder tells her/his view of things, because they were around as well, and these stories differ somewhat, it might be even more compelling.
(Somehow, I just thought of "Little Big Man"... I loved that movie :-))
stebehil
Gnoll

Return to Mystara