[Norwold] Map of the Skaufskogr region

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[Norwold] Map of the Skaufskogr region

Postby agathokles » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks to this step-by-step tutorial from the cartographers' guild, I've started learning how to do non-hex overland maps.

Since I'm starting a new campaign there in a few weeks, I've tested this approach on the southern Norwold region between Landfall and Lighthall. Here's the result, a new map of the Skaufskogr.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Re: [Norwold] Map of the Skaufskogr region

Postby Hugin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Slick map, GP. One of these days I'd like to play around with map making too.

So many projects, so little time.

And because I'm always curious to hear what stories people are creating in Mystara, do you have a rough plot line created yet for what's going to happen up there?
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby agathokles » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks. Regarding the campaign, I'm starting with a simple sandbox using several small dungeons and site-based adventures from Dungeon Magazine and the Basic Fantasy RPG (a retro clone), followed by some of the UK Series modules.
Also, I've recently acquires the Bundle of Holding offers for Shadow of the Demon Lord and 13th Age. Both include adventure paths which could be adapted to Norwold.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 am

Very nice GP!

For my maps, I use a different brush for forests and add the drop shadow effect to it. I love your color pallette though.

I am curious to hear more about your adaptations to Norwold, especially from Shadow of the Demon Lord. As you probably know, the designer, Rob Schwalb, is a Mystara fan, so it seems highly appropriate to use those adventures with Mystara :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks, I'll try the drop shadow. Note that, however, in this technique there are basically no brushes used. All the main components are obtained from basic shapes and filters.
GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 am

Regarding SotDL, it is the most recent bundle I got, so I've barely read the system (BTW, it is quite good). The adventure path involves some cultists' machinations, and is set in the "northern reaches" of the setting.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Thorf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 am

Great work, Giampaolo. :D

A few suggestions for you... First, you should perhaps try desaturating the colours slightly. Very bright colours don't tend to come over as well on the screen as more subdued colours do. This is a lesson I learned while making hex maps.

Second, I'd highly recommend looking into building height maps/DEMs. You're going part of the way with this tutorial already, using noise and masks to sculpt your mountains. But it all gets so much better if you can then run the result through erosion in a program such as Wilbur. It can be a bit fiddly, but I think it's very much worth it in the end.

Have you seen my tutorials on these subjects?

http://thorf13.blogspot.jp/p/thorfs-wor ... aking.html

They're on my old blog, and unfortunately incomplete. But I'm planning to revise and expand them to re-release through my Patreon and my new web site in the near future. Regardless, there are quite a lot of bits there already that you may be able to make use of. And I can certainly help you with Wilbur if you're interested. Specifically, I can share my "recipe" for erosion in Wilbur, which should save you a LOT of time — it took me ages to work out how to use it properly.

All in all, I love seeing this kind of map depicting Mystara. Recreating Mystara in my Calidar style is a long-term goal for me, and the more work people do on this, the happier I'll be. :D
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby agathokles » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 am

Hi Thorf,

Thanks for your comments! Indeed, I'm not terribly satisfied with the colours. I'll try to desaturate them a bit as you suggest.
Regarding height models, I've been thinking about that, but haven't gone much further. I'll look into Wilbur, though.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Return to Mystara