Pathfinder Ruins of Azlant

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Pathfinder Ruins of Azlant

Postby stebehil » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 pm

I just started reading the newly-released players guide to that upcoming AP:

The Ruins of Azlant Adventure Path begins with your characters standing on the deck of a ship after a long voyage to a newly founded colony called Talmandor’s Bounty on an island in what is left of Azlant.

and
Now is your chance to not only establish a foothold in this fabled and broken land, but also to potentially uncover valuable lost lore once held by one of history’s most powerful and enigmatic cultures.

I do seem to recall this to be discussed already elsewhere, but this sounds inspired by pulp fiction tales of discovering lost continents, which could be a fitting alternative to everybodies favorite Island (of Dread). Admittedly, a colony is a new take, but then, why not. I am very interested to see where this runs to.
stebehil
Bugbear

Re: Pathfinder Ruins of Azlant

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Stebehil!

I think this is the first time I hear of this Adventure Path. Do you have any links to it? It would be interesting to see if it can be adapted to Mystara. Do we have anything more to go on than the information you quoted above? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby The Dark » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Havard wrote:Hi Stebehil!

I think this is the first time I hear of this Adventure Path. Do you have any links to it? It would be interesting to see if it can be adapted to Mystara. Do we have anything more to go on than the information you quoted above? :)

-Havard

The first module is supposed to release on August 17th, so there's not much yet. The module titles and short blurbs have been released. The modules are The Lost Outpost, Into The Shattered Continent, The Flooded Cathedral, City In The Deep, Tower Of The Drowned Dead, and Beyond The Veiled Past. It looks like it's centered around aboleth as the Big Bads. The Player's Guide recommends non-urban-centric characters, since most of the AP is in wilderness areas. Recommended Favored Enemies are aberration, monstrous humanoid, humanoid (aquatic), and construct, which gives a preview of what types of enemies are expected to be in the modules. It's noted as taking place on rocky, forested islands.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:47 pm

In addition to the info above, the premise is that a colony that has settled on the ruins of the shattered former land of Azlant, has disappeared. The PCs are newly arrived colonists who discover the people before them have gone missing and need to investigate.

For those not familiar, Azlant was an ancient empire of wizards that held sway over much of the land now known as modern Varisia (the main continent of Golarion in which adventures are set). It eventually descended into corruption and evil, and was destroyed when its ancient enemies the Aboleth summoned a meteor to wipe it out. The Ruins of Azlant AP is the first set in the main homeland of the Azlanti empire (though several APs have delved into Azlanti history and ties on the mainland, notably Rise of the Runelords and the Shattered Star).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Morfie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:In addition to the info above, the premise is that a colony that has settled on the ruins of the shattered former land of Azlant, has disappeared. The PCs are newly arrived colonists who discover the people before them have gone missing and need to investigate.

For those not familiar, Azlant was an ancient empire of wizards that held sway over much of the land now known as modern Varisia (the main continent of Golarion in which adventures are set). It eventually descended into corruption and evil, and was destroyed when its ancient enemies the Aboleth summoned a meteor to wipe it out. The Ruins of Azlant AP is the first set in the main homeland of the Azlanti empire (though several APs have delved into Azlanti history and ties on the mainland, notably Rise of the Runelords and the Shattered Star).

Sounds like it could be set in the ruins of Alphatia, post-WotI.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 am

Morfie wrote:Sounds like it could be set in the ruins of Alphatia, post-WotI.

Just got my copy in the mail today; still haven't done much more than skim it, but offhand I'd say either idea suggested here could work for a Mystara version of it. Either have it set in the ruins of Alphatia, or on the Isle of Dread and perhaps tie it to the Aquapopulous wars that were mentioned in XSolo: Lathan's Gold. I'd personally probably replace the aboleth with kopru, or else make the kopru yet another of the many alghollthu species like aboleth.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby stebehil » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

I think I will read the first book some time soon. As it takes the print copy a few weeks to reach me, I will start with the pdf. For the time being, here is the link to page for the AP: http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/ruinsOfAzlant If you have a paizo account, you can download the Players Guide for free and have a look yourself.

EDIT: Just opened the file. The foreword has the following teaser:
"Longtime readers know Azlant as a lost empire, a place of marvels and might snuffed out by the cataclysmic coming of Earthfall, which plunged the world into darkness for countless centuries. The powerful empire and its advances in science and magic now lie in ruin, mostly on the floor of the Arcadian Ocean, but remnants of the continent exist to this day as proud islands—the tops of mountains and lands too stubborn to sink below the waves. Daring adventurers have uncovered some of the secrets that the Azlanti empire died clutching by dodging the elves of the Mordant Spire, who seek to keep explorers away from this region lest they tinker with dangerous magical forces beyond their understanding."

Now, there is a ton of tropes just in this short paragraph, but the "cataclysm" of the "powerful empire" with "advanced science and magic" that happened "countless centuries" ago does sound quite familiar, doesn´t it? The setup - a few islands remaining from the old empire sounds more fitting for Alphatia post-WotI indeed, but other than that, it sounds more like Blackmoor viewed in 1000 AC.
stebehil
Bugbear

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Thonia, perhaps?

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 am

Thonia and/or Blackmoor could certainly fit the bill. Notably, the last Azlanti emperor was fond of using Clockwork creations, and so the Robotic and Technological artifacts of Blackmoor would be an apt substitute. (I don't know how much clockwork will be a presence going forward in this AP- if at all- particularly considering a lot of it will take place underwater).
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

An "empire in ruins on the ocean floor" might also be applied to Taymora (linked to the LRoF circa BC 1700). I agree the other possibilities mentioned already seem more appropriate, but this option might also work.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby stebehil » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 pm

After reading roughly half of the adventure, I wanted to share some thoughts. As it is sort of spoilery, I´ve hidden the text.

It starts with the PCs (1st level, of course) being part of the "security detail" aboard a colony ship headed towards an newly-established colony on the tropical island. This might work for Mystara and the Isle of Dread if you let that take place a while after previous explorers returned from there, and somebody thought it worthwile to set up a colony there. That "somebody" is a trade consortium of sorts, based in an country which is republican or even democratic in outlook https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Andoran. This sounds a lot like Darokin, and has a feel like the exploration in the real world, which was fueled by mercantile interests as well.

The long journey can be used for some role-playing. Once at the island, the PCs are sent to the colony, as it is obvious that something is amiss there. The adventure does a pretty good job in providing a mystery without giving an obvious solution, and has a number of false leads, which provide a challenge nevertheless. After exploring the colony and collecting the clues (which do not provide a full picture yet), they return to the ship and have to deal with a budding mutiny. Once they handled that, they have to deal with natural hazards, hostile creatures and some resources gathering - in other words, they have their hands full.

All in all, the author does a good job in setting up the story and the mood, and writing an adventure that is not your olde dungeon crawl. I think it could easily be transferred to Mystara so far.
stebehil
Bugbear

Return to Mystara