Hirelings and Mercenaries

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Hirelings and Mercenaries

Postby oleck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:44 am

I made a list for my campaign maybe is usefull for someone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwFgwGca_Bvpb0ZZUlV5ZmllNVU/view?usp=sharing
oleck
Gnoll

Re: Hirelings and Mercenaries

Postby aklanda » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Looks interesting.

Tried to check it with canon and to me it seems that for example the alchemist and the animal trainer are a bit "cheap" in comparison with the D&D rules, whereas you staid in line with it for example with the bowmen and the archers. Is this on purpose?
Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby oleck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 am

Well what u think should be the correct price? I just unify several tables of diferent versions. But i think alchemist has a special note that price increments depending on materials and type of potion. But well what i think is paying an Alchemist 1000 gps and beside have to buy materials and tools seams to much. Any normal man with 1000 gps is rich. In one year he will be millionary. But maybe 1 gp is too cheap too. Ill put a 2 prices one for full service (that means he buy his materials and tools) and on price just for services.

Maybe animal trainer exotic should have a note depending on the creature hit dice trained (a multiplier). Its not the same training a Dire wolf than a Dragon for example.

Let me revise this two issues .
oleck
Gnoll

Postby oleck » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am

Change hope it looks better.
oleck
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 pm

oleck wrote: Any normal man with 1000 gps is rich. In one year he will be millionary.

I agree and always felt myself that some of the prices stated in the official rules where a bit unrealistic. On the other hand: Think of what most adventurers drive: to collect experience, collect magical items and - make a fortune! And, as always, there will be people who want their share of the pie...

So when you just made 2000gp in wiping out every single monster in this old castle, wouldn´t it seem fair to give a tiny bit of this money (just let´s say, uh, 10%?) in exchange for an excellent service that restores some of your health? Or 50% for an special potion to make you much stronger the next time you join battle?

I didn´t want to criticise your list, just wanted to comment, that it is not in line in all points with some of the provided lists in the rules cyclopedia. But as a DM you can freely change this any time you want, in my point of view.
Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby oleck » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am

Critics always help to be better. Just remember I'm not native English. So if I seem rude it wasn't because I was mad is because sometimes I can't express correctly what I feel. I love feedbacks. Thanks a lot, Aklanda.
oleck
Gnoll

Return to Mystara